Categories > Cartoons > X-Men: Evolution > Revolution

Chapter 10

by Mikari 0 reviews

Chapter 10: Filling The Spaces

Category: X-Men: Evolution - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Avalanche,Blob,Cyclops,Jean,Nightcrawler,Shadowcat - Published: 2012-07-06 - Updated: 2012-07-06 - 2216 words - Complete

0Unrated
Revolution

Chapter 10: Filling The Spaces

The airplane was still approaching the glass window behind which Jean was focused on holding it back. Her mind was becoming exhausted and she could barely push back the airplane as its engines started. Scott looked at the jet bridge over on the next terminal near by. The airplane that he and Jean had left was moved away when the seemingly out of control airplane started heading towards the window, leaving the empty jet bridge there. He ran towards it, dashing through the tunnel with an idea in mind.

Lance focused on the ground outside the window and made it shake until it broke and buried the aircraft's tires, but the airplane continued to jerk forward at an odd angle, breaking the tires with the impulse from the engines. "Unless I bury that thing whole, it won't stop," Lance realized, and he didn't know how to accomplish that, not to mention that there were still passengers inside.

Scott appeared at the edge of the jet bridged, climbing out its side and on top of it. He aimed at the belly of the airplane where the cargo was, away from the central fuel tank and shot a laser from his eyes until the metal covering the aircraft began to melt into the ground below it. The turbines continued to spin, but the vessel could not move forward. The engines shook so wildly that they fell right off the wings. That was how those airplanes were built, they could fly even with one engine, but not without wings, so it was better to lose a vibrating engine than to risk a wing being torn off.

The turbines hit the ground and caught aflame, but seeing as the airplane was not moving, Jean let it go and instead moved the flaming engines away from the fuel filled wings. Down below on the runway, a security team quickly extinguished the flames and the danger passed. The airport's security team was working on getting the passengers out of the airplane as quickly as possible.

Scott came back inside the terminal through the jet bridge. Everyone was murmuring about the mutants, some even blaming them for what had happened, though they had actually just stopped it. It was best to tell the professor about this immediately and perhaps he would be able to clear things up. Jean tried to call out to Xavier with a psychic message, but she was too exhausted from the mental strain. She felt her balance slip from her and would have fallen in dizziness if not for Scott supporting her. He glanced at the Brotherhood, but they seemed just as confused as they were about what happened and Jean did say earlier that they had no bad intentions.

"We need to head back to the institute," Scott concluded. They were a day early, so no one was expecting them, thus no one had gone to meet them at the airport. They had come with gifts, cheerful stories and well wishes, but the warnings that they received about the suspicious happenings in the city were what came to greet them. "You should probably leave too."

Fred shook his head stubbornly. "No way, I have a flight to catch!" No sooner had he spoken those words when an announcement was heard all over the airport that they were closing up temporarily. The speaker went on to list the flights that were cancelled, among which was Fred's flight.

"Not anymore..." Todd stated the obvious, much to Fred's pouting annoyance.

With a groan of disappointment, Fred headed for the exit, dragging his feet and carryon luggage along with everyone else. He had forgotten about the bags he checked in earlier, but didn't really care at the time.

They were almost out of the airport when Lance felt a strong headache; he stumbled, but managed to stay on his feet. He looked at the floor as if searching for what he might have tripped on, but there was nothing, it was all a random loss of balance and it was inexplicable. "Did you lose something?" Pietro inquired in his usual speedy speech.

Lance shook his head; "no, it's nothing..." the pain was slowly subsiding just as quickly as it came. Strangely, he felt as if he had been exposed to this sensation before, but in a lesser intensity when he was watching TV earlier in the house. He paid it little mind and attributed it to some remnant of stress from what had just occurred.

xoxox xox xoxox

Fred was finally on his way to Texas later. However, it took a long drive to get him to where he needed to be as he left from New Jersey's EWR rather than New York's JFK. None the less, he was off and the remaining members of the Brotherhood were too tired to head back immediately and decided to find a place to rest before they were on their way. As they exited the airport to head to the nearest affordable hotel, the earth shook, but it was not at Lance's will. In fact, Lance looked rather uncomfortable, gripping the glass door's handle like a vice.

"Was that you?" Todd asked curiously and tiredly.

"No," Lance shook his head nervously.

Wanda tilted her head to the side, observing his reaction, "are you alright?"

Lance nodded, "I'm fine, just tired." It was the only explanation he could come up with for the wave of fear and panic that overtook him for a second. He wasn't afraid of earthquakes; he was the master of them, then why did he feel that way? It had to be exhaustion; it was the only thing that made sense.

"I wonder if Fred felt the earthquake too?" Todd stupidly asked, to his defense, he was very sleepy so he wasn't really all there in all his senses.

A silent pause passed until Pietro broke it, "in the sky?"

Another silent pause occurred as it took a moment for the tired minds to process that people couldn't feel earthquakes if they were flying and thus not actually touching the ground. A wave of laughter passed over them, which was well welcome by the group as a whole. They continued on their way, found a hotel and rested until they were ready for the long trip back to the Brotherhood house.

xoxox xox xoxox

While all of that was taking place, Kitty and Kurt were becoming closer, though they assumed the other was only interested in friendship so there was still a sort of wall between them, even if they very much enjoyed each other's company. Remy was a little restless, as his independence shone through even without memories and he wondered if he should go off to investigate on his own. Yet Rogue's kindness towards him and his curiosity and developing fondness towards her made him stay.

When Wanda, Lance, Pietro and Todd did return to the Brotherhood house, they found that a certain someone had settled in and made herself at home. There they stood in awe at the door to the kitchen were appetizing scents were coming from despite the smoke that came from the destroyed oven.

"Hey guys," Tabitha greeted. "You're just on time for the food. I'm glad I ordered all of this." The kitchen told a story without having to speak. Tabitha had tried to cook and blown up the oven, though thankfully, she kept the damage under control before the entire kitchen was ruined. Though some of the cupboards and the pantry were singed, the refrigerator was alright at least. Then she must have given up on cooking and ordered some take out instead. She lifted the lids off the pizza boxes one by one and it reminded everyone of the conversation about pizza they were having at the airport before. "Dig in!" They didn't need to be told twice.

While they ate, the inevitable question came up, voiced by a curious Pietro, "why all this?"

Wanda smiled sweetly, though there was a hint of something hidden in her eyes. "I just wanted to do something for you guys." A suspicious pause hung in the air until the revelation came, "since you're my housemates and all."

Everyone paused in their eating, "housemates?" Lance questioned. "You're moving back in here?"

"Yes," Tabitha nodded with determination, as if trying to tell them they shouldn't bother attempting to stop her. She had invited herself before and she could invite herself again.

Lance's frown went to a full on scowl, "no."

"Aw," Tabitha gave him her saddest look, trying to look convincing, "why not?"

"Because you'll just steal my jeep," Lance accused.

"I won't steal it," Tabitha assured, adding in a lower tone of voice, "I'll only borrow it every now and then."

"No!" Lance stubbornly maintained his position, making it clear that Tabitha wasn't welcomed.

Tabitha pouted and glared, "who put you in charge of the house?" She challenged.

"Actually," Pietro interrupted before Lance could argue in return. "I'm in charge of the house," he interjected.

"No you're not!" Lance protested. "Magneto's not here anymore, we haven't heard from him in ages and for all we know Mystique could be dead. There's no one to back your leadership."

"Or yours!" Pietro threw back.

"What about my vote?" Todd inquired, but he was completely ignored by everyone.

Wanda cleared her throat and suddenly, Pietro, Lance and Tabitha's three way argument was silence. She put down the slice of pizza she was eating, cleaned her mouth delicately and patiently with a paper napkin holding the pizzeria's logo and looked at the other occupants of the kitchen table. "I am in charge of the house," she stated it so firmly that it left no room for arguments. Then she brought forth her verdict as everyone waited with their breath in their throats. "I think we should give her a chance to stay."

Lance growled under his breath, not daring to argue with Wanda, while Tabitha flashed him a victory grin. "I knew you'd see it my way. It must get lonely being the only girl around here, huh?" Wanda shrugged, she had not really thought about that. She had a feeling that things with Tabitha around would be, if anything, louder, and she wondered if she had made the right choice by welcoming her into the house.

xoxox xox xoxox

At an ice-cream shop in the city, Kurt and Kitty were having a good time. They had noticed Rogue and Remy at a different table already there when they came in, but the pair was so absorbed in their conversation, that Kurt and Kitty decided not to interrupt them in any way. They settled into their own table with their ice-cream. The air conditioner was set at a very cold temperature, but they didn't really mind, the cold was a nice change from the constant heat, especially for Kurt.

Even with that cold temperature inside the shop, the ice-cream still melted and they raced to eat it before they had to drink it. Kitty giggled as she watched the white splotch of vanilla on Kurt's face. "You got it all over your face."

"Here?" Kurt tried to clean himself up with a napkin, but wasn't sure where exactly on his face the spot of ice-cream was.

"It's like there..." Kitty picked up a napkin, leaning over towards Kurt and reached to his face. Her hand paused in mid air and she acted on a whim before her brain had time to analyze her impulse and tell her it was crazy. She kissed him on the cheek, to the side of his mouth, licking off the ice-cream that melted down his chin.

Kurt remained paralyzed in shock while fireworks went off inside him and his stomach flipped upside-down. Realization hit Kitty like a ton of bricks as she looked shocked at herself, then apologetic. Her lips parted, her mouth moved, but there was no sound. Finally, Kurt smiled after what felt like an eternity, the few seconds being amplified by the awkwardness that flooded the atmosphere. "I guess you got it... Thanks..."

"Um... you're welcome," Kitty fidgeted and finally straightened on her seat. "I... don't know what came over me," she excused herself with her eyes downcast in embarrassment.

"It didn't bother me," Kurt was quick to assure.

Kitty looked up, daring to hope, "really?"

"Yeah... I kind of liked it," Kurt confessed, he paused, took a deep breath and went for the full on truth. "Actually... I liked it a lot."

"But that was almost like..." Kitty felt her heart beat faster. Was this really happening? Was it not too late? Was it okay? "Almost like... kissing..." She momentarily looked at the remains of her melted ice-cream on the table and when she looked up again, Kurt was much closer than a second ago, as if he was going to... He really was going to... Kitty closed her eyes and further eliminated the distance between them encouragingly until their lips met. The place, the time, the people around them, none of it matter, nor was it remembered. All that they could perceive was each other.

To be Continued

There you have it, the Kurtty is finally back in action, I did promise that it would come.
Sign up to rate and review this story