Categories > Games > World of Warcraft > Tej'lie

Three

by Keyboard 0 reviews

Sometimes the walls of a heart just need a little nudge.

Category: World of Warcraft - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2012-08-14 - Updated: 2012-08-14 - 1320 words - Complete

0Unrated
Tej’lie glanced up when the door bell chimed, she grinned at the priest. “Glesig, what brings ya here so early? I d’ought ya still be listening ta da holy words?”

“He cancelled,” he said and glanced at the empty store before sitting at the chair beside the hearth. He freed the poker and jabbed at the logs they were mostly coals by now.

“Sorry at hear dat,” she said turning away from her loom. “Do ya need ta talk?”

“Just disappointed is all and I feel bad for making you stay awake so late now.”

“Don’t be, glad ya come.”

He shyly poked at the fire, his cheeks showing off the true emotion she had inflicted him with. “Your log rack is empty,” he pointed out.

“Weh, about ta go do some choppin.” Glesig rose and headed for the door. “Priest, cannot have ya doin’ manual labor!”

He flashed her a smile that fired up her desires for him. “What are you going to do to stop me, mage?” He taunted before shutting the door between them.

By the time she had rounded the corner, he was had the axe in hand and setting up the first log to be spilt. “Besides,” he said without turning. “I have some frustrations to work out.”

“I guess I have ta feed ya den,” she stated tossing her hands in the air with a grin. “I bet das why ya doin’ dis?”

Glesig only laughed as the axe hit its mark, the piece of wood fell into two pieces.

The wood was chopped and piled next to her house by the time the food was ready to serve. He was allowed to go where no male had gone before, at least since she owned the place. Her personal quarters, it had a small kitchen complete with a wood burning cooking stove. A table and chairs had been cleared off and set for the meal.

On the other side of the open room, was her bed draped with a coverlet of a basic pattern associated with the troll race, as well as the rich colors. A large voodoo mask hung on the side of the wooden wardrobe. Shelves lined all the walls, they were covered mostly with shrunken heads and painted skulls that doubled as containers for beads and other little items. There was a few books on tailoring and enchanting, as well as a tome of spells. A bundle of special wood she planned to use to make wands were shoved in a corner at the right of the bed, along with bundles of the dust she would infuse into them. In the corner to the left were three different sized drums sitting on a thick rug.

There was a tiki target that had the mask half burnt from an intense fire, against the wall between the two spaces. “What is the story with that?” The draenei asked pointed to the target.

“My first dealing wif fire,” she answered setting the cast iron pan on a trivet that was sitting in the middle of the table. “Da trainer was smart enough ta have a tiki target.”

The two sat down and dished out their food, both oddly comfortable that most manners were relaxed. They talked and laughed the whole meal, it felt good to have a companion to share things with. Both had missed that with their own choices in their lives.
@@

Glesig became a regular part of the day, every afternoon he would come by and do some chore or errand for her in turn she would fix him something to eat. He attempted to show her how to play the lute, her thick fingers and lack of digits made it impossible. So instead, she taught him the drums. One night he asked if she would teach him to sew, which took up most of their evenings. She would work on the loom while he sat next to the fire and practiced his stitching.

Tej’lie had plenty of extra cloth in the cellar, linen mostly dyed in all sorts of vivid colors. Glesig crafted blankets for the orphanage, which she helped with. Soon the pair had a great pile ready to deliver, she found some clothing that would fit the young ones and added them to the pile. Normally, she would want some sort of compensation for such things, it seemed unimportant that she gained coin for things that were wasting away in her cellar.

The Lower City Orphanage was over crowded with all the children that needed to be clothed and fed. Many were sharing beds and toys, the workers had to tend to a few spats over playtime. All of this broke Tej’lie’s heart, she had a lot of hand-me-downs when she grew up but they were hers and hers alone. The blankets were accepted with a tearful thanks and hugs. “It looks like Glesig found another kind soul,” the matron commented as she handed out blankets to the children and instructed them to put them on their beds.

“He comes often?” Tej’lie asked when the priest was lead away to tend to tend to a sick child.

“Nearly ever day, he has been such a blessing. Reading to the children and just spending time with them, most of them don’t get that individual attention. We try, but it is hard with our staff so short handed all the time.”

Tej’lie felt so guilty hearing all of this, she knew he was practicing what he preached. To make the world better, one had to be proactive about it and make the lives of people better. She had been sorely lacking to reaching beyond herself to see those who are also suffering. “How can I help?”

“We have a lot of clothing that are useful but in need of mending.”

“Can do dat,” Tej’lie said with a curt nod, only when all of it was brought before her was she suddenly aware of what she had stepped into. She had thought a few things here and there, but this was enough to dress an army of kids. Each one was damaged beyond just a simple repair, so much she had to enlist in her trusty priest to help her carry them all back to her shop.

She felt her heart warm every day when she brought an armful of clothing back to the orphanage and a child was able to have a change of clothing. She would get hugs and finger paintings as payment, she would go home with even more mending. She felt past hurts dulling and being mended by the genuine love from children, they didn’t care that she was a troll mage. She and Glesig would spend most evenings stitching up little clothing as they talked.
@@

Tej’lie was adjusting a pink dress on a draenei child, the hem was to low for the poor girl and she was constantly tripping over it. Her little hands rested on Tej’lie’s cheeks, she paused what she was doing and blinked at the girl. “I was scared of trolls before.”

“F’sure?”

“Not anymore, you are nice.” The tiny hands patted both cheeks before letting go of the troll.

Tej’lie couldn’t get rid of the smile that those words infused into her heart. She found love in this little corner of the world, she found she was forging change in her own small way. Finally, she felt she was forming into the beautiful jewel she was meant to become. Her eyes slipped over to Glesig who had nudged her out of the darkness she had been folding around herself. The draenei male happened to glance up from the skinned knee he was tending. He offered her a soul warming smile, which she easily returned. Both were pulled from that moment by the children they were helping.
Sign up to rate and review this story