Categories > TV > Xena: Warrior Princess > Pebbles

Security

by ukeueue 0 reviews

The water ripples and churns. A series of ficlets. 53 - "Otherwise, what's the point?"

Category: Xena: Warrior Princess - Rating: G - Genres: Angst,Romance - Characters: Ares,Xena - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2012-10-03 - Updated: 2012-10-04 - 283 words - Complete

0Unrated
53. Security
14 November 2006
X/A – Fluff bordering on angst? Is there such a thing? What if Xena did join Ares at the end of Season 3, and they defeated Dahak together, and seasons 4-6 never happened?


Ares was idly watching the sunlight shining on Xena's hair when she turned to him and said, "You know, I wondered if people needed gods."

"Gods?"

"But then I thought people had to believe in something; otherwise, what's the point? Something has teach us about the difference between right and wrong, the value of truth, the meaning of being human. Everyone needs an anchor, and gods were convenient. I look at the people who truly believe, and their faith in the world and their places in their lives amaze me."

"Going spiritual on me? If I recall correctly, you distrust them immediately, too."

She laughed briefly. "For a long time, I made Gabrielle my anchor. I smothered her with responsibility, and it wasn't fair to her, but I couldn't see that until I hurt her. Now," she said, raising her hands and spreading her fingers in a shrug, "when I'm lost…"

"In case you've forgotten, I am the God of War—"

"You can't be my god, Ares," she cut him off. "Not anymore. You are you."

"Uh," he said intelligently, leaning vaguely in favour of feeling insulted, but not entirely sure why. "Why aren't you looking, then?" Ares paused and grimaced. "Was it because I needed you to stay?"

There was a brief silence and then another peal of laughter, brittle and sharp, before Xena launched herself into the tree above them and took off with a rustle and shower of leaves. "Come on, Ares!" she yelled, "Fight me!"
Sign up to rate and review this story