Categories > TV > Xena: Warrior Princess > Pebbles

Coffee Break

by ukeueue 0 reviews

The water ripples and churns. A series of ficlets. 54 - He hadn't anticipated the tedium.

Category: Xena: Warrior Princess - Rating: G - Genres: Romance - Characters: Ares,Xena - Published: 2012-10-03 - Updated: 2012-10-04 - 273 words - Complete

0Unrated
54. Coffee Break
16 November 2006
X/A – And continuing with my morbid train of thought… Unfortunately, I think I'm in a better mood today.


When Ares was a child and watched his father working, he never realized how much fucking paperwork the old man did. As the heir, he'd envisioned the great power he'd one day possess. He hadn't anticipated the tedium.

Mortals whined, gods whined, and the Fates pushed the blame for every mishap in the tapestry. Olympus ran on the lip of a catastrophe curve.

With Zeus's death during the war with Dahak, the position of glorified paper pusher was his, and he was terribly bad at it. Xena said so before she took over the majority of it.

The sheets were cold around him now, sticking a bit to his legs, and he was watching Xena again as she sat at the desk, reading reports and writing brief orders. He'd have thought she'd get restless, given her propensity for wandering off within a week of settling down anywhere, but she was faultless. She was much more suited for ruling Olympus than he.

Xena looked at him irritably when he put a hand over the scroll in front of her.

"What?"

"Come on. I want to show you something."

"I'm busy, Ares."

He took her hand anyway, and when the world came back into focus, Gabrielle was sitting on a stage just to the left. She looked up and waved when she saw them and returned to her poetry reading.

Xena kissed him, an amused look in her eyes, and turned to look at Gabrielle. Ares sat behind Xena and watched her smile.
Sign up to rate and review this story