Categories > Original > Drama > Chicana

I Turn Away

by sickly_ill 0 reviews

He sprits on some cologne and I’m instantly jealous.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [!!!] [V] - Published: 2012-10-08 - Updated: 2012-10-08 - 3943 words

0Unrated
Marcelino’s warmth soothes me. Almost back to sleep. But I can tell he has something on his mind. So I fight off the urge to sleep and ask, “What wrong, babe?” I turn around to face him and lay my palm on his beautiful face. In the moonlight I can see his forehead wrinkled and his frown.
“Armando told me you felt sick.” He said. I furrow my brow at him. “How come you didn’t tell me?”
“I just thought it was just the food or a cold. And if I told you, you would freak out and make me go to the doctors or something. And I didn’t want to worry you.” I explain. I slide my hand into his short hair and pull his mouth to mine. I gave him a gentle kiss and then said, “I promise I won’t tell you the next time I’m feeling sick. But only if you promise not to bring out the big guns the second I tell you.” I smirk. He just rolls his eyes and his beautiful smile returns.
“Okay, I promise.” He wraps his arm around my waist and gives me a kiss. “Did you ever find out what it was?” He asks.
“I think it’s just my period. It can be a bitch.” I giggle.
He sighs in relief. “Thank, God.” He attacks my lips and we lay there kissing for a bit. Then, we just decide to go to sleep. I breathe in his scent and drift off to sleep.

I feel completely rested by the time I wake up. I roll over onto my back and stretch. As usual, Marcelino is gone. But there’s no note. I sit up and look around. Then, I feel a bile coming up. I run to the bathroom and make it to the open toilet before a tan liquid comes up and out and into the toilet. It’s mostly water. Which makes it worse. “Raquel!” I hear Marcelino come over and hold my hair. I puke two more times and, again, it’s mostly just water.
I dry heave a few times before I know that I’m done puking. I head over to the sink and clean my mouth out. “This is it, Raquel. I’m taking you to the doctors.” Marcelino says and starts to get dressed. I can’t fight him on this one. I’ve tossed out the idea that it was just my period. This is something more. I know because my stomach is so upset and I feel the worst I’ve ever felt when I was sick from any cold or flu.
I hear my dad’s door open and he’s in just pajama bottoms. “What’s going on?” He asks. His hair all messy.
“Raquel’s going to doctors. She’s sick. She just threw up.” Marcelino speaks for me. I just nod in agreement when my dad looks at me for an answer as well.
“I’m going with.” Dad runs into his room where he gets dressed and comes downstairs where Armando is already dressed and ready to go.
When check in and wait for Dr. Garcia to come and call my name. She’s been my doctor for a long time. I always felt comfortable with her. “Raquel.” She smiles and takes my hand in hers. I stand and look her in the eyes. “Come on back. You can only bring one other though.” She looks at my little family behind me. I nod.
“Armando, will you come with me?” I ask. He’s surprised, but he’s grown on me since he’s been here. And I feel safe with him.
“Uh, yeah.” He half smiles at Dr. Garcia and we all head back. She takes my weight and height. I haven’t grown any taller, but I’ve gained two pounds. Which normally wouldn’t worry me, but since I’ve been yakking up everything I’ve been ingesting recently, now I’m worried.
We go to the room where she takes my blood pressure real quick and writes it down. “What are we in here for today, Raquel?” Dr. Garcia asks politely.
“Well, I haven’t been feeling well lately. I’ve been puking up everything I eat and I feel queasy, lightheaded. My stomach feels really empty.” I describe my illness and take the paper gown from Dr. Garcia to change into.
“Well, I want to put in an IV to see if we can get rid of the lightheadedness, and take some blood just to test. But before that you’re gonna have to pee in this little cup for me.” She smiles and hands it to me with my name on it and a screw lid. I know exactly what to do. I head to the bathroom, change into the gown, leaving my panties on, pee in the cup and leave it in the little metal box on the wall inside the bathroom.
I head back to the room and see Dr. Garcia’s nurse, Belinda, has everything set up. “Hello, Raquel. I would say it’s nice to see you, but that means I’m happy that you’re sick, and I’m not exactly happy about that.” She giggles.
“It’s nice to see you too, Belinda.” I smile and take a seat on the bed. Armando takes my clothes and folds them neatly and places them in his lap.
“Okay, honey. You’re gonna feel a little pinch.” She says as she sticks the needle in my arm to take my blood. I just look away. I could never stand to see my own blood being taken out of me. Belinda just laughs. “Good girl.” She tapes a cotton ball where she stuck me and then says. “Here comes the IV.” I turn away again and this time Armando chuckles.
“What?” I ask.
“Nothing,” he just shakes his head. I roll my eyes and see the IV is already in.
“Okay, well, Dr. Garcia will be with you shortly as we get done running tests on your samples.” Belinda smiles and leaves. I just lay down on the bed and sigh.
“Do you think they’ll figure out what’s wrong with me?” I ask Armando quietly.
“Yes. These people know what they’re doing.” Armando places his warm hand over mine reassuringly. I just smile a bit and look up at the ceiling.
Half an hour flies by and Dr. Garcia hasn’t come back yet. I sigh and hear Armando clear his throat. I look over at him. “Raquel, why did you choose me?”
“’Cause I feel safe with you.” I smile. “’Cause I can trust you. And you’re my family.” He just smiles to himself and looks at me. “And I love you.” I choke out. I’m breaking down.
“Shhh. Don’t cry, Raquel. I love you too.” He brushes away my tears and I sniffle. “You’re my sister and you’re very special to me.” He says lovingly. I smile and sniffle again. A knock comes from the door and Dr. Garcia walks in with a small file. I sit up immediately.
“Well, Raquel,” Dr. Garcia sighs. “You’re in quite a predicament.” She looks me in the eye. I take Armando’s hand. “Raquel, you’re pregnant.” I’m stunned. What!?
“But... I,” I recall all those times Marcelino and I had sex. The first time we used protection, but after that I can’t recall ever using a condom. And I’m not on birth control.
“What do you mean she’s pregnant?” Armando asks. “Did you run tests?”
“Yes. We always do. And our tests are very accurate.” Dr. Garcia defends.
“But there’s still a possibility that your tests could be wrong.” Armando points out.
“Yes, but that is not very likely. And Raquel has symptoms. That puking was morning sickness. The lightheadedness was another symptom that she’s not eating right, or not as frequently as she needs to.” Dr. Garcia says. “Now, I’m prescribing you some prenatals. They are to be taken every day. Just like any regular vitamin. Here is a pamphlet on pregnancy and what not. I’m sure you know what’s going on in there, but just in case.” Dr. Garcia hands me the pamphlet. “I’ll schedule in for an ultra sound next week. Congratulations, Raquel. I know you’ll be a good mom. Now, if you have any further questions don’t be afraid to call.” Dr. Garcia smiles and hands me a few papers. She then turns and leaves out the door. I’m gonna have a baby. Now I’m scared. So many things could go wrong. With Marcelino, with my dad, with the baby.
After Belinda takes out the IV, I get dressed and head out to the waiting room. Armando’s holding me. Marcelino and Dad stand up as they see us. “What happen? What’s wrong?” Marcelino asks.
“Well,” I say lowly. I look down at the ground. “I-I…..”I take a deep breath and feel Armando squeeze my shoulder in reassurance. “I’m pregnant.” I say and look up at my dad. His eyes go wide. He then glares over at Marcelino, who’s gaze is totally frozen on me.
“Hijo de puta!” Dad attacks Marcelino.
“Dad!” Armando grabs Dad and pries him off. I grab Marcelino’s shirt collar and push him away from my dad. “Dad! Not here!” Armando restrains him. As soon as he calms down Armando releases him.
“En la casa!” My dad points to us and we all go home.

“How can you guys be so careless?!” Dad scolds us while we’re sitting on the couch. I look up at him.
“Dad, we didn’t think about it at the time.” I say.
“How could you have not of thought about it, mija!? You were such a smart girl. I had no worries with you. I knew Marcelino was sneaking in at late hours of the night, but I trusted you to be safe.” Dad stood in front of me and said. “I trusted you not to fuck up your life like you just did.”
“Dad, maybe it ain’t so bad.” I heard Armando say. “We’re building the family again. Maybe this is a blessing. I mean, she is still a teenager, but we all both know that she’ll take care of this baby. I mean, if God didn’t find her worthy and ready to take care of one of His children, then why did he make it happen?” Armando’s right. This was made to happen.
“Armando, this is no time to be religious. This is a time to be rational! If you keep the baby, how are you guys gonna go to school? How are you gonna pay for diapers, formula, clothes? You guys have nothing figured out!” My dad says. He does have valid points, but how can I give away my own baby. I could never do that.
“We’ll figure it out! I can’t believe you would even suggest that we’d give away the baby! You always told me that family was everything!” I stand up. “Well, this baby is family! From conception it’s been family! And if you think I’m gonna give up my family, then you’re crazy!” I yell in anger.
“But think about it Raquel. We’re not ready. We’re just a couple of stupid kids.” Marcelino pitches in. I turn to him wide eyed.
“So now you’re gonna bail on me!?” I can’t believe this! “You know what! If none of you are with me, I can raise this baby myself! I’m perfectly capable!” I start to the stairs.
“Raquel!” Armando chases after me all the way into my room. “Raquel. I’m with you.” He breathes. “I couldn’t believe Dad would suggest adoption either.” I smile.
“Thank you, Armando.” I hug him. As we part I see Marcelino in the doorway.
“Armando, can you give us a minute?” Marcelino asks.
“Sure,” He looks back at me and then leaves. Marcelino closes the door. I cross my arms over my chest.
“What do you want?” I ask hastily.
“Look, I didn’t mean to make you mad. I was just saying what was on my mind. ‘Cause, face it, Raquel. We aren’t in any way ready to take care of a baby! Where are we gonna live!? How are we gonna pay for everything it needs!? How are we both gonna go to school!? These are things to consider before we go and have a baby.”
“But this is our baby! How can we give up our baby? Just ship it off to some other family? I could never imagine doing that. But like I said, if you’re out, I can take care of our baby without you.” Is this where things end? It seems like he doesn’t want to take responsibility for his actions. Is this the person I fell in love with? Has he been such a punk all along and I failed to see it? So many questions.
“I never said I was out, Raquel! Don’t you dare make me that bad guy! I want kids! But right now was not when I planned to have them. With you yes, but not now. We have so much to still do.” Marcelino has answered some of my questions. But some still swarm my mind.
“Marcelino, I know you’re scared. But don’t for one second that I’m not.” I begin to tear up. “I am scared to death because what if I’m not a good mom? What if something happens and I lose the baby? Or what if I lose you?” The tears fall freely down my face. “I am scared. But I am standing up and taking responsibility for my actions. Which seems like you’re not doing.” He just sighs and rubs his hands on his head. He’s silent for a while.
“What do wanna do?” He finally asks.
“I wanna keep the baby. I wanna live my life with you. I wanna be a little family. I don’t care right now about anything else. We have nine months to figure everything out. A lot of things can change in nine months.” I say lowly. He sighs again.
“Then, I’m with you. I’m not going anywhere.” He half smiles and I sigh in relief.
“I love you.” I hug him tightly. He lifts me up and spins me around.
“I love you too.” He nuzzles into my hair. “Fuck. We’re pregnant.” He mumbles. I giggle and sniffle.
“Yeah.” I pull back and look at him. “We’re pregnant.”
Knowing that Marcelino is with me makes me excited for pregnancy. It makes me love him even more, and understand where he was coming from. Though we’re both scared shitless. We’ll be scared together. We’ll figure everything out together. “Now, we just gonna convince your dad.” Marcelino says.
“And tell your mom.” I say. We both sigh and go downstairs.

My dad has agreed to keep the baby, and let us live in the house. He’s actually kind of excited now. He won’t admit it, of course. But I can see it in his eyes. And Marcelino’s mom is disappointed, but happy that she’s finally gonna have a grandchild. She says she’s getting old. She looks old. Well, mostly she just looks tired. She’s still a beautiful woman, but her worry and stress wrinkles make her look older than she really is.
Since getting approval, Marcelino has moved in with me. He didn’t bring everything of his. Mostly just clothes, shoes, school work, personal hygiene products and his CDs. We’re sharing a room now. I moved some stuff around for is things. I’ve moved some of my clothes in the closet so that he can hang some of his clothes too. I made some drawer space for him, and some counter space in the bathroom. We also got a shoe rack for both of our shoes, and put it in the closet. We’re also going to get a bigger bed soon. I’m just worried about him moving in. What if we get annoyed with each other and fight all the time? Is this too soon?

It’s time for bed. We shower separately. Me first. I get ready for bed and am putting on lotion when I hear the shower stop. I put some on my belly, and then go over to my full length mirror. I lift my shirt and rub my stomach. I can imagine it growing huge. My breasts full. My hips wide. I turn to the side and look at myself. Marcelino comes in with a towel wrapped around his waist. He watches me. “You look beautiful.” He comes over to hug me from behind. “You’ll always be beautiful to me.”
“Even if I get fat?” I ask.
“Even then.” He nuzzles into my neck. I giggle. He places his hands over my stomach. “And I know our child will be beautiful just like his or her mother.” I smile.
“And they’ll be strong like his or her father.” I reply. “What do you hope it is?” I ask and look at him through the mirror’s reflective surface.
“A girl.” He smiles.
“Really? I’m hoping it’s a boy.” I grin.
“Well, whatever it comes out to be, it’ll still be amazing and beautiful.” He says. “Now, get some sleep. We’ve got school tomorrow.” I nod and climb into bed. He puts on a fresh pair of boxer briefs and climbs into bed right next to me. “And now that I’ll be stayin’ here, we needa talk about some new sheets.” He smiles.
“What’s wrong with them?” I look at the zebra pattern. “You’ve never complained before.”
“’Cause before I had my own bed with Star Wars sheets to sleep in. But the zebra print, although tasteful, is just too girly. We need a neutral color, or something.” He says.
“Well, when we go shopping for our new bed, then we can pick out some new sheets. But until then, the zebra sheets are staying.” I put my foot down and stick out my tongue.
“Fine.” Marcelino caves. I smile.
“And we need a new mattress. I was thinking of getting a Pemperpedic.” I say. “For my back. And I looked at the prices. I think we can afford it.”
“We’ll see.” Marcelino closes his eyes.
“Marcelino, you forgot to turn off the light.” I giggle. He opens his eyes. I shrug. “You were the last one up. You turn it off.” He rolls his eyes. If it were any other time, he woulda told me to turn it off. But he has realized I’m pregnant, and that carrying his baby is hard enough. He gets up and turns it off. This action has given me that information and reassurance that he really is with me and will do anything to make things easier for me. And that he still loves me the way he says he does.
I reward him with a deep kiss. “Mmm, I love you.” I whisper.
“I know.” He laughs.
“Just making sure.” I close my eyes and nuzzle my nose into his neck. He wraps his arm around me and pulls me closer to him. We drift to sleep.

I wake up with more morning sickness. “Babe, I don’t think I can go to school like this.” I say before puking into the toilet again.
“Well, I wasn’t gonna let you go anyway.” He says as he holds my hair back. After I’m done I wash out my mouth and look at him.
“Will you give Yas a ride when you go?” I ask.
“I’m not going anywhere.” He says stubbornly.
“No, you’re going to school. You need to graduate. Or else we’re all screwed.” I say, and he knows I’m right. “And, besides, Armando’s here and he’s worse than you.” I say.
“Fine. But you call if you need anything or if anything happens.” He points his finger at me.
“Okay,” I nod.
“Okay. I’m out then.” He sprits on some cologne and I’m instantly jealous. Who’s he smelling good for? I ain’t gonna be there. Not only is he a pain in my ass this morning, but he’s driving me nuts with his cologne! He turns to kiss me and I turn away. “Hey, what’s wrong?” He grasps my chin and turns my head to look at me.
“Nothing.” I snap at him.
“Babe, I know something’s wrong. If you don’t tell me then I’m not leaving from this spot.” He leans against the doorframe. I glare at him.
“Well, why do you have to wear so much cologne? Who are you going to see? Who do you have to smell good for?” I ask with my arms crossed and my hip popped and my lips pursed. His jaw drops.
“Are you serious?” He asks. I look at him expectantly. He laughs. “Babe, I can’t go out smelling nasty. Is that what you’re really mad about?”
“Yes!”
“I ain’t cheatin’ on you, Raquel. I would never do that. I love you.” He says.
“Well, maybe you realized I’m going to get bitchy and gross and went to find some other pretty girl to get off on while I’m carrying your baby.” Instantly I regret the words I spat at him.
“Oh my God. I don’t need this shit.” He stands upright and starts down the stairs. I just ruined everything. You idiot, Raquel! I think to myself. I smack my forehead and run after Marcelino. I find him outside walking to his car.
“Marcelino!” I call out. But he doesn’t listen to me. He just keeps walking. The air is chilly and I’m in my pajamas. I reach him unlocking his car. “Baby, I’m sorry!” He opens his door and is about to get in when I catch his arm and bring him out to face me. “Babe, I’m sorry. I don’t know what I was thinking. At first I was find, the next second I’m mad! I didn’t mean any of it.” He doesn’t say anything, but sigh.
“It’s okay. I forgive you.” He lowers his eyes to the ground. “I guess I acted the same when you made friends with Yas.” He understands. “And mood swings are symptoms of your pregnancy. Better get used to ‘em now.” He smirks. I smile.
“I love you.” I hug him and kiss him deeply. “Have a good day at school.” He gets into the car.
“Nothing is good without you, Raquel. But I’ll try.” He smiles. “I love you, baby.” He pulls me down to kiss him through his rolled down window. “Now get inside before you get sick. And call if anything happens.” He says again. I nod. “See you later.”
“Bye, babe.” I wave as he drives away. I go back inside and eat the waffles and hash browns Armando made for me.




A/N: Thanks for reading! Hope y'all R&R! :D
Sign up to rate and review this story