Categories > Original > Horror > The Academy

Chapter Two

by mychemnerd101 0 reviews

Cassie and Mel slowly begin to realize that this isn't fun and games anymore as they start to follow them everywhere.

Category: Horror - Rating: PG - Genres: Horror - Published: 2012-10-11 - Updated: 2012-10-14 - 2973 words

0Unrated
This is sooo much later thsn I thought it would be! I'm sorry. Chapter Three is on it's way soon c:
Chapter Two
. It sounded like banging on metal. But the banging sounded hollow and distant. My head shot towards the building and saw that there were metal steps, rusted and peeling, leading up to the second story of the first house. I stayed low, crouched to the ground almost as if I were a wild animal. The thing that scared me most was I noticed I gained full control over being able to move my ears. I had had friends in the past who could move their ears but had never been able to accomplish it myself, until now. I became an animal thanks to being there. In spite of all that I was doing, or becoming I kept my eyes glued to the stairs that were across the creek, through the trees, beyond the fence, and attached to the building. There was nothing there, and the noise stopped. I didn’t feel the boy, but the energy was more childish, and getting closer. It felt small, and scared, and…feminine. It was a little girl. But, I couldn’t feel what she looked like, I just couldn’t for the first time in my 13 years of life. After every energy I dealt with it was the first time I couldn’t gather an image.
“Mel? I feel a young girl, but I don’t know what she looks like.”
“I can see her Cassie. I can hear her laughing too. But, I don’t think she’s mocking us, rather it sounds more welcoming. I mean, she is a little girl.”
Okay, an entity Mel could see so clearly and on top of it all she could hear her too?! That was weird, I had no clue Mel was so strong, or that the ghist girl was. Then again Mel did make it known that I felt the boy stronger than she could see it, and she’s never heard him, at least, not yet. But it was still all so weird, the spirits seemed to be so strong that they could chose who was more susceptible to them. They chose who they wanted to attach to. The boy attached to me, I could always feel his presence around me, even on the walk home he didn’t seem to leave me. The girl didn’t leave Mel the whole time we were up there. She even held Mel’s two middle fingers on her right hand. When we started making guesses as to what has gone on up here from the things we felt she would grab the two middle fingers on our right hand if we were correct, Mel said she would stop laughing if we got it wrong.
We soon decided from the time that we should be heading back to Mel’s house for dinner. We continued to go up there daily with few occurrences, just the average noise here and there, or feeling things. Everything became to be what me and Melissa considered normal for being up there. Changes only began when we brought up Devon. We decided to introduce him to the building and its surrounding seeing as he was there when our interest sparked, and now we seemed to have ignited a full blow obsession.
When we got there the day we decided to bring Devon, Mel and I sat on the hill across from his house. We screamed his name and heard ours back when we realized he had been watching us from his window the whole time we were sitting on the hill. Creeper. He came out and he asked if this was going to be supernatural. Part of me wanted to say yes, and the other part wanted to slap him upside the head and yell DUH! That other part of me won.
“Ow Cass! What the Hell was that for?!”
“What? You asked a stupid question, so I gave you a response I thought you could handle.”
I don’t think he appreciated my response, but I didn’t care at that point. He asked why he was at all significant to the Academy. We explained that he was in this as much as we were because he was there when we were seen. We told him about the boy, and how the boy was attached to me. It was my decision to tell him seeing as this was “my” ghost. Mel completely left out anything about the girl. I wasn’t sure why, I guess there has always been a method to her maddens, but in this case I just couldn’t see why she would leave out something so important.
After briefing him about what we knew, which wasn’t much, and what we’ve seen or heard we brought him through the opening to the creek and walked down the dirt hill that’s right next to another patch of ivy and a tree. This time, instead of going across the bridge we walked back through the plants that came up to about mid-calf and made our own small path-way. We were now a few yards away from the fence bordering the building. Devon looked at the side of the building and said “You know, a little girl died here.”
My heart sank to my stomach, “What,” I asked.
“Yea, a little girl died here on the property. You didn’t know that?”
“Obviously not, what do you know about that story?”
“Oh, not much. Just a young girl around seven died somewhere near the creek. Why is it so important?”
“Devon, I saw and heard a little girl here. All yesterday and the other days we’ve been here,” Mel said.
Devon’s expression dropped from his normal happy self that always had a smile on his face with the little dimples at the corner of his mouth to that of shock, but it was more than shock. He was finally believing us for real. Now he knew this wasn’t just a game, but this was life, for us, and for him. It finally started to dawn on him that this wasn’t just the little supposedly haunted house that are rumored to be in every neighborhood, but this was true. This building that no one paid any attention to, that no one could have ever seen as a threat was, in fact, real.
“So, you were telling the truth, it is haunted.”
“Yea, smarts,” I said. I never really knew why I acted so strangely around him. I mean, I know I’m sarcastic, but it was different the way I spoke to him. I tried to rule out liking him, only because I already had Jenny littering my mind. I studied his face as I have a thousand times. No, it’s not true Cassie, you could never like this boy. He’s a brother to you. The only one who holds your heart is Jenny, not that she cares. It would be nice to like someone you have a shot with. No! No! Stop it Cass! Get back to the task at hand. I was fighting myself internally over my feelings. This was the last thing I needed.
“Cassie? Caaassssiiieeee?? Snap out of it girl, you okay?” Mel looked worried.
“What? Oh, uh, yea I’m fine. Just thinking.”
I should probably be a bit more discreet next time. We walked back seeing as the wall of poison ivy was preventing us from moving forwards. As we crossed the bridge I again had my attention dawn to the same tree. I noticed this time that it was stained red where there was a chip in the bark. I stopped thinking that maybe it was just the color of the wood underneath. I pried off a piece of bark and saw that it was a regular brown. Okay, maybe someone just put something red on it. I put the bark in my pocket and walked away.
Mel again skipped straight out to the manhole. She had this strange habit of doing that every time we came up here. Devon just looked at me with one of his odd expressions. One that meant he was asking if that was normal. I just waved my hand so as to dismiss her behavior. I walked with him over to the manhole and the three of us began to walk through the path that led to the second island of rocks that we had to cross like always. It was to the point for Mel and I that we knew the land like the back of our hand, and yet a new change or surprise was around every corner. As soon as we got comfortable in knowing what we were going to face when we got up there something changed. It changed in small, unnoticeable ways. We didn’t think much of it and just thought it was nature taking course. I saw Mel’s ears go back like both of ours have a habit of doing when we just seem to turn into wild beasts when we are at the Academy. I stopped in my tracks and waited. I crouched down low to the ground like always and Devon just stared at us. I looked up at Mel who looked down at me.
“Who,” I asked.
“A girl, but not the same girl as last time. I’ve never seen this one before. She has long brown braids. About our age. Looks like she’s attracted to,” she shot her glance to Devon, “Devon.”
“Oh. So, a ghost we’ve never seen who all of a sudden comes out when we bring him along? Interesting.”
I concentrated my energy on the surrounding area and sat down with my legs crossed. I focused on calling the energy of the girl. I wanted to become familiar with the girls energy, just so I knew how she made me feel. I didn’t want to make the mistake of confusing her with anything evil. I felt that she was weaker than all the others. Weak so that only Devon could bring her out of hiding. I could feel that she was somehow connected to the young girl.
“SISTERS,” screamed Mel. I swear, that girl can read my mind.
“They’re sisters? And how do you gather this?”
“Simple Cassie. I knew you felt they were connected just like I felt it, and I though maybe they were sisters. That’s when the little girl; grabbed my two middle fingers on my right hand like she always does when we’re right.”
“Well then. Sisters it is.”
Hmm. I thought, sisters. One connected to Devon, the other to Mel. And one boy connected to me. But, that can’t be right. There’s still two more spirits I can feel. And one isn’t so happy as the others.
Mel and I concluded that we should do a bit of research. We walked out of the shaded clearing at the start of the creek and as Devon walked up the driveway to his house I turned and caught the glimmer in his eye as turned and smiled at me. My heart began to beat a bit faster and I could feel the blood rushing to my face making my cheeks turn bright red. Get it together Cass! i was starting to form feelings for him, and with Jenny, and the Academy, and life in general I couldn’t have any more on my plate! I always fall easily, and I’ve never known why.
We walked back to Mel’s house and walked directly into her room. Not even giving a thought that her mom was trying to serve us dinner. We turned on the computer and sat waiting on her bed. With a loud crash the door was slammed open. I didn’t see anything until I looked down and saw Leo running in. he jumped up onto my lap and started licking my face to no end.
“GET DOWN LEO!” screamed Melissa.
“God Mel, chill out.”
The computer finally loaded and we typed in the full name of the Academy which we found out by reading a few signs nailed into the front of the building, “Red Birch Academy.”
“How did we now figure that it would be called that Cassie?”
“I have no clue Mel”
We carefully read through the links and found only one that had the name of the Academy. We clicked the link and searched through the locations only to find that the location of our Academy wasn’t on the sight. So, a creepy, haunted academy, with no website. How long his this place been abandoned?!
We finally heard her mom screaming our names telling us it was time for dinner. We strolled out of her room pretending like we weren’t completely disturbed by every last detail about the Academy. I sat down at the table and I saw that it was okay to not say a word because I saw Melissa was in deep thought as well. Let’s review shall we? So in these past days what have we learned? There is a boy, attracted to me, a young girl, attracted to Mel, and an older girl, attracted to Devon. Now, what do we know about the building itself? So, it looms over the section atop the highest point, the windows face out so it can see the whole section and what everyone is doing, no matter where you are on the property a window can see you, so you are always being watched. We found that there are leaches in the creek, lovely. No animals except for bugs and snakes live in the surrounding areas, which is odd because there should be deer living there. Why should I let myself get so damn wrapped up in this place? I can’t help but to want to be there, I need to know more.
The ring of my phone stirred me from my deep thoughts and made Melissa jump. I checked to see it was my mother telling me to come home.
“Sorry, just Ma telling me to leave.”
“S’okay’” replied Mel ,”Same thing tomorrow?” I could tell she was thinking the same things. I smiled in return as to say yes and waved goodbye to her mom. I walked down the hill of Mel’s street and rounded the corner to my house deep in thought, but trying to get this Academy off of my mind. When I came home it was getting dark out. That day’s events had taken so much out of me. I decided to pull on my yellow pajama top and my checkered pants, I soon fell asleep.
When I awoke the next morning I was cold. A bone rattling shiver went through my spine as I sat up to realize my blanket had been torn off of my bed and thrown in a crumpled heap in the corner of my room. “oh’” I whispered to myself. Checking my alarm clock I realized I only had ten minutes to get ready. I hopped up and searched my floor for what I would decide to wear that day. I chose a My Chemical Romance T-shirt, grey skinny jeans, black converse, and my Green Day hoodie. I slung my schoolbag on my shoulder and walked out the door. A mist clung low to the ground and my surroundings were barely visible as I made the five minute journey to the bus stop. I blew smoke out of my mouth testing the chill in the air. Fall was here, but I couldn’t see it, I couldn’t see the bright colours, I didn’t pay attention to the dying trees, and I didn’t notice as he walked past me. I was too deep in thought to recognize the face. The pale skin, the dark brown eyes, the terrified expression, the brownness of his aura. He noticed me though, and he knew I would be there. He knew me more than I knew me, and he opened his mouth, but I couldn’t see. He screamed, but I didn’t here. He pleaded for help, but I didn’t know. I was in ignorance of my situation, that is until I turned around to see him standing two inches away from my face. His chocolate brown eyes stood out from the smooth, flawless milky white skin. His black hair hid the gash on his forehead. There was a tear rolling down the left side of his face, he was silent, mouthing out the words ‘Help me’. I stood there in shock of many things. I was in shock of his perfection, the only flaw was the deep gash on the upper left side of his head. I was shocked he came to me for help, as though he trusted I knew how to help him. Most of all, I was shocked I was staring into the eyes of a boy who had died years before I was born. He fell to his knees and looked up at me with his scared, pleading expression. I couldn’t do anything. I couldn’t speak, or move, or think. I was as lifeless as him, and yet the dead teenage boy on the ground in front of me could do much more than I could. And in that moment I heard the piercing scream of a young girl, and he was gone, and there was no little girl, and I was alone again. The last thing I remembered was falling to my knees with the tears streaming down my face. My world went black, and I was gone.
Sign up to rate and review this story