Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > The Pros and Cons of Breathing

Chapter Three: Reinventing the Wheel to Run Over Myself

by cabbagepatchbum 1 review

cemetery outing

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance - Published: 2006-07-27 - Updated: 2006-07-27 - 956 words

0Unrated
Silently Pete and I walked toward the cemetery, stopping along the way to allow Sheeba to do her business. I looked over at Pete as we got closer to the destination. He looked over at me and smiled. I smiled back politely, but did not say anything. I slowly moved my gaze to Sheeba. She was trotting along in front of us at the end of her pink lead. I was starting to get nervous because Pete had not said a word to me since we left the apartment.

"So, um, do you visit your parents' grave often?" Pete asked, disturbing me from my thoughts. I looked up at him and nodded. I did not know if I could trust him with the story of my life. I did not trust easily.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked Pete, looking at Sheeba. I was curious as to what he was doing walking with me. It could not be because he actually wanted to spend part of his Christmas Eve in a cemetery with a sad teenager.

"Shoot," Pete said, his gaze never leaving me.

"Why are you walking with me? Don't get me wrong, I like having the company, but you don't want to be out in the cold with an extremely emo kid," I said nervously.

"Gayle," Pete said my name for the first time, stopping in his tracks and looking nervously at his feet. I never would have taken Pete Wentz as the shy type. The boy could have had any girl in the world, so I would have thought he would have had the biggest ego. "Carrie told us about you while she was in Chicago. At first, I thought it was just a ploy to get us down here to meet you, but then I got to know Carrie and Kyle better and realized that that wasn't their style. They just really care about you. They showed us a picture of you, and I thought you looked like you could use another friend. So here we are. All four of us willing to be your friends."

I looked up, blushing slightly. I did not know what to say. I did not know if I wanted to tell him my life story now or start crying. I figured he would hear me crying soon enough, when we got to the two sarcophagi that held my parents remains. I smiled at him and mouthed "thanks."

We made our way through the graves to the above ground shrines that were my parents'. I knelt down between the two, sensing Pete hanging back. As I knelt, Sheeba sat. She knew this place upset me. I sat back on my feet and looked at both of the intricately carved monuments. Tears began welling up in my eyes.

"Momma. Joel. I miss you guys. It's Christmas Eve. Sheeba is here, too. She misses you all as much as I do. She keeps me company when I really miss you two. Joel, I really miss you when Dad tries to call. God, I wish you were still here to keep him away. I hate him, but you know that. I got into Harvard. Yeah, I know. I didn't think I could do it, but I did it. You were right, Momma, I can't seem to fail at anything. We are playing in Louisiana the day after Christmas. Camden and Marcel take good care of me when we all play shows together. I just got my bass repainted. It's pink and black. Momma, you would love it. Anyways, I guess I'll head back to the apartment. I love you two," I said sobbing. I slowly stood up and looked longingly at the sarcophagi. I wished every night before I went to bed that my parents were still alive. I turned around and wiped a tear from my face. Pete looked at me and smiled encouragingly. I gave a meek smile.

"What's up with your dad?" Pete asked as we hit the sidewalk on the way back to the apartment.

I shook. I really, really loathed my dad. He would keep me locked in a closet for hours and beat me with a cane. I did not know how to tell Pete. I was sure he did not want to hear it. It was kind of sad and pathetic that I could not defend myself.

"Um, nothing," I said apprehensively. I stopped and pat Sheeba on the head. She jumped up placing her paws on both of my shoulders. "Sheeba, I love you, but you're bigger than I am. You can't do that girl," I told her with a hint of laughter in my voice.

"She makes you happy, huh?" Pete asked. Sheeba hopped down off of me. I turned and looked at Pete.

"She's about the only thing that makes me happy, my bass and friends being the other two," I said.

"You play the bass?" Pete asked, I knew he played the bass in Fall Out Boy. I did not think he would care about me playing the bass.

"Yeah, we have a show the day after Christmas. Sheeba's coming with us. You're more than welcome to come too," I said to him smiling.

"I didn't see any gear around the apartment," Pete said in a questioning tone.

"Oh, that's 'cause all the big gear is at Camden's in the trailer. I just have my bass at the apartment. I can't put much in my car when we go to shows because I drive a Mitsubishi Spyder," I said.

"Heh. You can't fit much in a sportscar can you?" Pete said.

I shook my head, "So, do you wanna go?"

"Of course," Pete smiled.

please read and review
Sign up to rate and review this story