Categories > Original > Fantasy > Secrets of the Outside World

Chapter Two.

by MCR-99 2 reviews

Rain shows Jayson the bug, and a hint of adventure starts.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG - Genres: Crossover - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2013-07-08 - 765 words

0Unrated
Chapter Two.

"Jayson?" Rain wandered into the Hunter's Station, looking for her friend. She looked around, to see all the supervisors helping the young hunters in training, and beside that was the weapons dealer, and his new apprentice, Joseph, who was one of the boys in Rain and Jayson's class. Rain had no idea what Joseph was doing as a weapons dealer's apprentice; he was so timid and quiet, or well seemed to be.

"You!" Rain heard a strong, feminine voice behind her, and wisked around to see a red-haired woman with tanned skin, poised with an Neuro-Blaster, one of the strongest weapons in the entire of Conslied. "What do you think you're doing here? You're not supposed to be here unless you're a Hunter or Weapons Dealer's apprentice."

"I-I'm sorry, I was just looking for my friend, Jayson." Rain quivered under the woman's glare, as Jayson walked up to the two of them.

"Sunny, it's okay. She's a friend of mine." Jayson told her, but Sunny stood her ground.

"What exactly did I tell you, Jayson? Friends are just enemies who haven't managed to kil you yet."

"She wouldn't kill me, she'd barely know how to shoot a gun." Jayson laughed a little, making Rain scowl. "No offence."

"Little late for that." Rain muttered. "C'mon, I gotta show you something."

"Sunny, is it okay for me to take a break?" Jayson asked.

"You have two minutes. Exceed those two minutes, and I will start sending out a search party for you, understood?" Sunny gave out the direct orders, and Jayson nodded with understanding.

"Yes, Sir, I mean, Ma'am." Jayson corrected his greeting, before Rain dragged him toward the locker area, the place where the Hunters kept their bows, guns, ammo, all the things they'd need in case for a battle. The lower Hunters, like Jayson, had smaller lockers, with limited space, and the higher, more skilled Hunters got the bigger, more spacious ones.

"So, what was with her?" Rain asked, looking over at Sunny, who was polishing her gun and arranging one of her many knives.

"Who, Sunny?" Jayson followed Rain's line of sight. "She's my supervisor. She's very shouty, and knows how to use a gun, so be careful around her."

"I'll keep that in mind." Rain muttered.

"So, what did you wanna show me?"

"Oh, right." Rain dug around in her bag, until her hands fell upon the little match box, and pulled it out of her bag. "I'd just finished my morning of work, and was heading to the break-room, when I spotted this." Rain opened the little match-box, and the butterfly fluttered out of the little box and onto her hand.

"A butterfly?" Jayson asked in bewilderment. "We haven't seen any of those in.. well, forever. Where did you find it?"

"Down in the pipes. And, get this. I looked up at the open vent, and the sky was black, yet, when I looked out the window, it was still light outside."

"Wow.." Jayson sighed in awe. "Amazing."

"More like confusing." Rain corrected. "What're we gonna do, about the butterfly, and the black-while-it's-still-light-outside sky?"

"Hm.." Jayson thought about it, before remembering about one of the many Scientists around the city. Maybe they might help to uncover the mystery. "I got it. There's, like, a thousand-odd scientists around here. Perhaps they might know about this sorta stuff."

"Maybe.." Rain gave it some thought. "Good idea. Tomorrow, we meet at lunch, and head down to the Science Department. We find a scientist, there's bound to be one around, and we ask them about this" Rain held the butterfly up for a second, before slipping it back in the box, and back in her bag. "And the sky."

"And, what if no-one knows?" Jayson asked, considering the negative outcome.

"Then, we find out ourselves."

And, there the plan was set, and the two teenagers went back to their jobs, both with minds reeling of the news they'd discovered.

And, thus is the second chapter of this saga. Does this really sound like City Of Ember? I'm trying not to make it sound like it, as I kinda brainstormed the idea and used various lyrics in the constuction of this story. Oh well, I tried. I'm gonna continue with this though, as with a little mixer-uppers, this could actually turn out alright. Rate and Review! I'll try and post up a chapter tomorrow, before swimming, if not, I'll post on Wednesday, and you'll get a chapter Friday adn Saturday as a little treat and to keep up with schedule. Peace and Cookies, XO Sadie
Sign up to rate and review this story