Categories > Original > Romance > Kiss Me

Something Real

by sickly_ill 0 reviews

Chapter 6 - Something Real

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2013-08-16 - 3122 words

1Original
When I get home, I text Hayden:

Home safely :) Now stop worrying

I strip down to my undies and slip on a loose fitting shirt. I’m braiding my hair when my phone rings. I look at it and it’s Hayden. I really need to get a customized ring tone for him. I finish and pick up. “What up?”

“Just got in bed. I just wanted to call you and say good night.” His reply makes me smile.

“Well, then say good night so I can go brush my teeth and get ready for bed myself.” I spit back at him with sarcasm.

“So pushy.” He says. I roll my eyes and sigh. “Okay. Good night, Sky.”

“Good night, Hayden.” I smile. But he doesn’t hang up. “Why are you still on the line?”

“Why are you?” He asks.

“I asked you first.” I giggle.

“Just knowing you’re on the line with me gives me some sort of peace.” I can see him smiling. “And I thought you were gonna draw me a picture.”

“I’m tired. And we’ve got school tomorrow.” I argue. “But I promise I’ll have one by lunch. Good night, Hayden.” I smile and hang up.

I get into bed and turn off my lamp. I try to sleep, but I can’t. Hayden’s in my every thought. How can one person have such an effect on another? I sigh and shift over to my side. But I end up shifting over again. And again. I groan into my pillow and try to push him out of my mind. But all the memories of our dates come back to me and I find myself smiling. Until I finally give in and dream of him.


In the morning I make sure I find my best winter clothes. A pair of dark blue skinnies, my beige Ugg’s, my Misfits band tee, and my red knitted beanie. I grab my AC/DC hoodie and my black leather jacket. I pull them on and grab my Pendleton back pack. I sprits on some perfume, grab a granola bar and Minute Maid for a quick breakfast. “Let’s go, Sunshine!” I yell for Elio.

“Shut up! I’m almost done!” He yells from his room. I smell his cologne coming down the hall.

“It ain’t like you’re gonna magically attract the same girls you’ve known for two years by over loading on cologne.” I argue. He just growls and comes out. “Shut up.” He mumbles as we both get out the door. I drive us to school and park. Elio and I go our separate ways. I’m at my locker when my phone vibrates. It’s a text from Hayden. I smile instantly.

Good morning, baby :)

Good morning….idk what to call u. which name do u prefer?

anything u want :) don’t dwell on it. U’ll figure it out. Have a good first half of the day. See u at lunch I bite my lip and put my phone back into my pocket. Wait, first half? Doesn’t he have a full schedule, but my thoughts are interrupted.

“What are you smiling about?” Taylor and Adelia come up to me at my locker. Like they always do in the mornings.

“Nothing.” I smirk.

“Is it that guy Elio was telling me about? The one with the big earrings or some shit?” Taylor looks at me in disgust. I give her a warning look. “Look, I was just saying. Cielo, you can get someone so much better. What about Adrian? Ese es un guapon. With his cholito swag and slicked hair.” Taylor bites her lip and just about drools over Adrian. That trouble maker in my machining class.

“Yeah, and he has no brains. Hayden es differente.” I defend him. “He’s nice to me.”

“Yeah, he’s nice to you because he wants your cuca!” Taylor says. She making me mad. She doesn’t even know Hayden.

“Taylor, shut up. You don’t know him. You just see his piercings.” I slam my locker shut.

“Look, Cielo, I don’t think he’s a good guy. Just look at him. Todo cochino y con tatuajes.”

“Taylor! Just shut the fuck up. I’ll like whoever I want.” I spit at her.

“Not if your daddy says no! And knowing your papi, he’s gonna say fuck no!” Taylor argues back, as Adelia just watches us. I can’t counter her argument because deep down, I know my dad’s gonna flip when he meets Hayden. He’s not Mexican, and he’s got piercings. I just brush passed Taylor and head to class early.

I take my assigned seat in AP Literature. I whip out my phone and text Hayden:

where r u?

I get an instant reply.

at home. Y?

don’t u have a full sched?

nope. I got switched into NTLB

oh I sigh in disappointment because I won’t get to see Hayden till later in the day.

y? whats wrong? He knows something’s up, and I love that he can tell just through one text.

nothing. I’ll tell u later, Tesoro I use a Mexican pet name since I can’t think of an English one.

what does that mean? I’m hoping something good ;)

direct translation: treasure ;)

cute ;) see u at lunch, Tesoro He gives it back to me. I grin and the bell rings to begin class.


Hayden and I text until we meet in the shop. “Hi.” I bite my lip as I greet him by his usual table.

“Hi.” He smiles. “How was your day? What did you want to talk to me about?” He cuts right to the chase.

“My unsupportive friends.” I frown as I look up into his powder blue eyes.

“Unsupportive about what exactly?” He takes a step toward me, and walks me back until I feel the lab table behind me.

“You.” I blink. Still looking up at him.

“Ahh.” It clicks, and I only had to say one word. “Well, what are you gonna do about it?”

“I realized that if she were my real friend, she’d support my decision to ignore her warnings about you, and keep seeing you anyway.” I swallow. He’s so close to me. I can feel his body heat radiating off of him. “But she did bring up an interesting and alarming point this morning.” I look down at my knotted fingers.

“And what is that?” He looks down at me.

“That my dad will never approve of you.” I smirk and press my lips together. I look back up at him.

“And does that fact stop you from seeing me?” He asks, fear and rejection in his eyes.

“My head says yes.” I swallow hard. “But in my heart, I feel something for you that I’ve never felt with any other person before.” I look up at him and I see a spark in his eyes. “When we’re together, I feel that…that…” I struggle to find the words. “Spark, if you will. And when you kiss me, there’s this t-tingle,” I stammer, “I get all over my body. It just makes me shiver.” I bite my lip. “But in the best way possible.” I smile.

“Is that all?” He smirks, and I melt.

“Uh, no.” I smile and open my backpack. I dig out my sketchbook and flip to my newest, soft pencil sketch. It contains a human heart being gripped by a large hand. There are orchids in the background, and a single butterfly fluttering in the background. A lightning bolt striking the heart and hand. Hayden takes it in as I hold up the drawing for him to see.

“Sky, this is…” He grins. “Somethin’ else.” He takes my sketchbook to get a better look. I just blush.

“I feel all of this.” I smile. “For you.” I whisper. “And my decision still stands. I won’t stop seeing you. No matter who says you’re no good for me. I’m sure once my dad gets to know you that he’ll come around.” I giggle. He just chuckles softly.

“Sky, thank you.” He smiles and hugs me tight. I’m taken by surprise at first. We have never had such intimate contact before. But once it registers in my brain that I’m not hugging back. I wrap my arms around his waist and nuzzle my cheek into Hayden’s chest. He holds me and kisses the top of my head.

“You’re very welcome, Hayden.” I inhale deeply and take in his scent. It knocks me back. Oh my gosh! He smells heavenly. Like oil, cologne, and Hayden. “You smell good.” I giggle. His laugh vibrates against me.

“I’ve been sweating while welding. I can’t smell that good.” He looks down at me and I peek up at him.

“I think you can.” I smile. He rolls his eyes and kisses me briefly.

“I think I’m going to keep this sketch. Just as a reminder.” He releases me and carefully rips out my sketch.

“Just be careful. You can smear it. I didn’t spray it.” I smile. Just goes to Anderson’s office, and comes back out with a clear plastic folder. He carefully puts it in there.

“There. It’s safe.” He grins.

“Good.” I smile.


Hayden and I head to get some lunch. Adelia and Taylor meet us at an empty table with their BK. “Hey, bitch.” Adelia greets me.

“Hey. Adelia,” I start as they sit. “This is Hayden. Hayden, this is Adelia and Taylor.” I introduce them. Adelia smiles at him and says hi, but Taylor just nods coldly at him. Just then my phone vibrates.

Hayden: I’m guessing Taylor is the unsupportive friend u mentioned :/

Me: yeah

I put my phone away and we eat lunch and make small talk. Mostly just Hayden, Adelia, and I talk. Taylor just glares. It’s awkward. The bell rings. Hayden and I walk to the shop, side by side. None of us making a move to hold each other’s hand. I just swallow hard and take his hand. He grins and we intertwine our fingers. We get looks from other students as we walk, but I don’t care. I strut with a smile as we enter the shop and practice for state.


Once I drop off Elio at soccer practice and I get home, I do some homework. I’m in the middle of reading the last act of Hamlet when I hear my phone vibrate. I grab it quickly, hoping it’s Hayden. But it’s Trevor.

Heard u & hayden r dating I furrow my brows. Why does he care?

and? I reply.

just confirming. I’m kinda confused b/c u seemed all into me @ the party

What!? I might have come off that way, but I was being nice!

I was being nice. Don’t get all delusional on me

ur delusional if u think hayden pierce will stay w/ u after he gets the P

What the fuck?!

he’s not like that! I defend him. Hayden’s nice to me. Trevor’s just jealous.

he’s a great actor, isn’t he? Well, don’t say I didn’t warn u, bitch

Bitch!? Who does this motherfucker think he is!? I’m livid now. Just then my phone rings. “What!?” I answer.

“Damn, Cielo. I was just callin’ to get a ride.” It’s Elio. I sigh in frustration.

“I’ll be there.” I hang up and go pick up Elio. He gets in the car with caution. He knows something’s up.

“What’s going on, hermanita? You can tell me.” He says softly.

“It’s this damn guy I met at the party.” I open the texts and he reads them.

“What the fuck?” He scrolls through all of them.

“Yeah, that’s what I said.” I drive home cautiously.

“And who is this guy?”

“Some guys I met at the party. We were just talking. He knows Hayden from welding. I mean, they aren’t friends. Hayden says he’s a bad guy, but that he likes me.” I explain.

“He should be glad I don’t know him.” Elio mumbles as he hands me my phone. I just smile. I love my protective brother. “Just ignore him. Hayden doesn’t seem like a bad guy.”

“But do I tell him what Trevor said?” I pull into my parking space.

“Well, you’re damned if you do, and damned if you don’t. He’ll be mad either way. You just need to find out if you want him mad at you for not telling him, or mad a Trevor for harassing you and running his mouth.” Elio gets out as I park. Ugh! Why does my brother have to make sense? I sigh and get out.


The next day at school, I wait for Hayden in the shop. I’m sitting on his usual table. Just wringing my fingers and trying to control my breathing. Just then I hear the back door open and I look up to see Hayden coming in. He smiles, and I try to, but can’t.

He furrows his brows and comes over to me. He stands tall in front of me. “What’s wrong, Sky?” I sigh and take out my phone. I find Trevor’s messages and hand my phone to Hayden. He reads it quickly. “That motherfucker.” He mumbles.

“What is he talking about, Hayden?” I frown and look up at him through my lashes.

“I dated his sister. After we had sex, she broke up with me. I guess she told him some shit just to get attention. I swear I’m not that kinda guy, Sky. If I wanted just sex from you I woulda just said so.” He gives my phone back. I just look down at its blank screen. I can never imagine him being that kind of guy either. I just sigh. “Sky,” he grasps my chin and tilts my head till our eyes meet. “I swear to you that I’m not that guy. I’ve never used any girl for just sex. It’s just not me. Please believe me.” Hayden plants a soft, sweet and gentle kiss on my lips. I stifle a moan at such an intimate kiss. But I don’t know what to believe. I barely know both of these guys. But I’ve known Hayden longer. And Elio says he doesn’t think he’s a bad guy. Elio can spot the asshole from a mile away. So, I decide to give Hayden the benefit of the doubt.

“I do.” I smile at him. He sighs in relief. We’re just having tough week. Taylor, Trevor. But I do feel strongly for Hayden. And I feel that no one can get in the way of my feelings. I just hope he feels the same.


Anderson makes us practice forever. By the time I’m done, it’s sixth period and I have to leave. Hayden gives me a kiss and I’m on my way. But not without a huge grin plastered all over my face.


Ugh! I hate going home without seeing Hayden before I do. But he had NTLB and my mom wants me home before she gets home. I just open the front door with a sigh and get to my chores. I decide not to do my homework and doodle in my sketchbook instead. Then I remember the page Hayden tore out earlier today and it makes me smile.

His handsome face pops into my head and I decide to text him.

Hi :) Is all I can think of saying. After I send it I mentally slap myself. But I feel my phone vibrate. My heart leaps and I bite my lip.

heyy, babe :) whats up?

nothing. Was just thinking about u. hows NTLB?

boring AF

sounds lyk fun :P

what sounds like fun is kissing u right now I just squeal at his text.

then come over & do it. I dare u! I challenge him.

I’ll see what I can do ;) I shake my head.

looking forward to it :) And with that I start to dance to some Kelly Clarkson in the privacy of my own room.


My mom gets home and catches me dancing away. “What the hell are you doing?” She looks confused.

I giggle. “Nothing.”

“Who’s this boy Elio’s been telling me about that you’re hanging out with?” She slides right through the small talk. Damn it, Elio!

“Some really cute guy, mommy! He’s so nice!” I gush. A hint of amusement in her eyes.

“Hmm.” She hums. “Just be careful, mija.” She smiles and closes my door. I just catch my breath and decide to watch some TV.


I’m in the middle of watching Jersey Shore re-runs when the doorbell rings. I just assume it’s for my dad since he works the property we live on, and the door is usually for him. But then I hear my mom yell, “Cielo! Door!” I get up annoyed that my mom interrupted my Jersey Shore mojo. But I head to the door anyway. If it were one of my friends my mom would have just let them in. So it must be someone else.

I get to the door and I see Hayden standing there. On my porch. I gape at him and my mom’s holding the door open with a cocked brow. She leaves when I get there and meet him. “What are you doing here?” I whisper.

“You dared me.” Hayden grins and kisses me by surprise. I am totally caught off guard. He has no regard for my mom’s presence. But I don’t care as I thaw against him and kiss him back. When we pull apart I’m left dazed.

“Seems like it was a good dare.” I smile.

“Seems like it.” He hugs me tight before he leaves and I’m left standing on my porch with gray overcast and a cool breeze whisping by. I come inside. Feeling numb. Either from the weather, or that spontaneous kiss. Or maybe both. But as I close the door my brain is trying to decipher if that was real, or just a dream. My mom just gapes at me.

“It was real, mija.” She grins. I just nod and go back to my room. I ignore the Jersey Shore and get back to sketching. Something beautiful. Something real.
Sign up to rate and review this story