Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > A Chance to Change

Battle between Prodigies

by KenshinAkagi 0 reviews

Rei and Itachi fight during the Uchiha Massacre.

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Itachi - Warnings: [!!] [V] [?] - Published: 2013-11-03 - 1461 words

0Unrated
AN: K, Chapter five! Fight between Rei and Itachi./]

A Chance to Change: 5[/


Rei and Itachi exchanged a few quick blows, before Rei was forced to jump back from a swing of the Uchiha's tanto. Rei cursed as he felt the metal slice into his side, sending a burst of pain. He grimaced when he realized there was no way his nine-year old body could hope to match the Uchiha prodigy in Taijutsu. He slammed his hands together, ignoring the searing pain in his left arm, and placed his hands on the ground. Hundreds of roots and branches burst forth from the ground, forcing Itachi to dodge.

'Mokuton?!' Itachi sliced into another branch as he kicked Rei in the stomach, only for Rei to burst into mist. Itachi briefly widened his eyes as ten other Mist clones rushed at him, only to burst into mist at the end of his tanto. He looked around the now ruined street, as the mist slowly began gathering. Out of nowhere, a fist materialized from the mist and almost punched him in the face. Itachi went to grab the fist, only for it to become mist once more. 'What kind of jutsu is this? A Kekkei Genkai?' Itachi began performing hand-seals, and blew a burst of air that blew the mist away. 'Wind Release! Great Breakthrough!'

The mist was dispersed, except for a small clump that soon reformed into Rei. He appeared to be sweating, and was clutching his left arm. "Smart move, Itachi-san. Let's continue, shall we?" Rei put his right hand into a single hand-seal, and began channeling his chakra as bursts of water shot from all around Itachi. Rei performed three more hand-seals, and the bursts of water suddenly became water dragons, that launched towards Itachi, only to be destroyed by him slicing through them.

Itachi looked at the white-haired boy, and was happy to note he seemed to be tiring, if the heavy breathing and clutching of his arm could indicate. But the arm itself looked perfectly natural, and Itachi doubted he hit it that hard when they briefly fought. The sound of blood dripping interrupted him from his thoughts, as he saw the sword wound on Rei's side was bleeding.

"Give up. I do not wish to kill you, and you know that you cannot beat me as you are now. Stop now, and I will spare you." Itachi was internally begging for Rei to accept; killing his own family was hard enough, and he didn't want to kill one of the Hokage's children. Much less one who was Sasuke's friend. A soft chuckling made him realize he had slightly zoned out. He focused his gaze on Rei, who suddenly looked towards the sky and started laughing even louder.

"Geez! You think I was trying to beat you? Please...I was just a distraction. Oh...and I would dodge, if I were you." Itachi suddenly jumped back as he noticed that not only was Rei's left arm missing, but a strange black plant man with a venus flytrap on its head had lunged at him, ripping off not only the bracers on his right arm, but some of the skin as well.

Kurozetsu jumped back to Rei, before morphing into a left arm that attached itself to Rei's left shoulder. Disturbingly enough, Itachi saw that Rei's wound had now closed; using the skin Kurozetsu had just ripped off of Itachi.

Itachi narrowed his gaze at the boy, as he soon detected several chakra signature racing to their location. His eyes lazily spun back into Mangekyo form, as a wall of black flames separated the two enigma's. When Kushina and the Anbu squad arrived in the Uchiha district, all they found was Sasuke and Rei both unconscious, and Itachi Uchiha missing.
-----------------------------
The Room was White.

That was Rei's first thought when he woke up in the soft bed, and the whirring sounds of the machine attached him signaled he was in a hospital. Rei slowly began closing his eyes, until a loud shout woke him up again.

"WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU WERE DOING?!" Rei burst his eyes open as there, in all her glory, was an utterly pissed off Kushina. Rei could see Minato standing behind her looking grim, Naruto looking saddened, and Natsuki looking quite bored. Rei's attention was quickly brought to Kushina again when she began talking slightly softer, but still incredibly pissed off. "What did you think you were doing, huh? First, you train until ten at night, keeping both of your siblings with you, than you slam your sister against a wall, then you go into a dangerous area without alerting anyone, and then you fight a rogue Anbu who had just murdered his entire clan!"

Rei briefly felt a small course of anger spike through him. She wanted to play the blame game? Well two could play at that game..."I was trying to help Sasuke. I sensed...something off, and I only went over to see if anything was wrong. And there is no way you can say I didn't alert anyone, because I told Natsuki to tell you to get over there! I was stuck there for ten minutes fighting him! So tell me, Kaa-san, what was so important that you couldn't even make it to the Compound located just a twenty-minute walk for civilians when you're a Jounin level ninja? What was so important that you couldn't afford to spend five seconds to go check if your best friend was okay, or how about the fact that as a former Jinchuuriki, you can sense things like this?! Well? Answer me!"

The room was hushed into silence as all the residents stared at Rei. Kushina would open and close her mouth occasionally, as she tried to form an adequate response. Minato looked at Rei with a look filled with what seemed to be...regret? Natsuki looked between both her mom and Rei, shocked at what Rei had just done. Naruto was looking at his mother with a surprised look.

Finally it seemed that Kushina had regained her bearings, and she looked at Rei and said, "I...I messed up, okay Rei? When Natsuki told me, I assumed it was nothing, but then when I decided to see what was going on, I was too late. I wasn't there to protect you. I'm...I'm sorry." Rei merely glared at her, before turning his head to the side.

"Whatever...The point is I'm alive, Sasuke didn't get mind-raped, and I managed to get Itachi to strain his eyes a bit," he said, now looking at Minato. "Tou-san, if you hurry you can probably get a hunter nin squad after him..." Minato tensed when he caught the look in Rei's eyes. It looked like a man who had been through this before, and who was now forced to accept the fact they couldn't change it. Minato silently nodded, before taking his wife and Natsuki out of the room. Naruto walked up to Rei's bedside.

"How's Sasuke?" Rei asked, honestly wondering about the lone Uchiha's condition. Naruto scratched his head before speaking.

"He's sleeping, I think. They said that if you didn't get there in time, he would be in a coma."

Rei nodded silently. He stared outside of the window, before speaking once more. "I hate this Cycle..." Naruto tilted his head in confusion, and Rei continued. "The Cycle of Hatred, Cycle of Revenge...an Eye for an Eye they say, but they never realize an Eye for an Eye makes the whole world blind. I can tell you the thoughts Sasuke is having. He's feeling betrayed by Itachi, angry, but he can't truly hate his own brother. He going to convince himself that he has to become stronger to stop Itachi, that that'll stop him from feeling the Hatred...but it'll only foster more hatred..."

"When someone wants revenge, instead of walking around a wall, they cut through it. It's the same with people, too. What if someone loves Itachi? If Sasuke kills Itachi, someone kills Sasuke, me or you will kill them, and their friends will kill us...I just want it to stop, Naruto..." By this point tears were running down Rei's face as he clutched angrily at the bedsheets. "No matter how hard I try, no matter what I do, I can't stop mankind from destroying themselves! I'm not strong enough! When will people overcome their desire of hurting others?!" He slowly began breathing to calm down, and spoke in a cold voice.

"If people won't accept Peace...then I'll get stronger than anyone! I'll force the world to accept my way of Peace!"

AN: And There! Next chapter will be Team placement.[//]
Sign up to rate and review this story