Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Second Fiddle

Marked Wizards

by Crucio_Crusade 3 reviews

Harry Potter is aware of the wizarding world. The only problem is he grew up apart from it. When he explored the magical world, he found danger, wonder, and friendship.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Characters: Harry, Hermione, Neville, Voldemort - Warnings: [!] [?] [V] - Published: 2006-08-07 - Updated: 2006-08-08 - 2843 words

5Exciting
Disclaimer: This fan fiction was based on the Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling. I do not claim ownership on any character created by J.K. Rowling, and no money is collected from this story. This is one way I show appreciation to J.K. Rowling's works. Other names or places on this story are fictional. Any similarity to actual name is purely coincidental.




Chapter 5: Marked Wizards

Harry felt his lungs would burst from the intense pace he had set as he ran his ten kilometer circuit. He tried to burn away the pain and anguish in his heart at the death of his guardian and friend. Max had left him everything. He had him buried beside the graves of his wife and daughter three days ago. Before Harry, Max had lived alone and didn't socialize much, so it had been a small and simple ceremony. Harry hoped that Max was now happy reunited with his loved ones.

Harry, on the other hand, burned with outrage which fueled his intense training. He found out the aurors couldn't apprehend the murderer. They said the wizard who killed Max was a Death Eater. And they didn't have the means to track them down. Harry couldn't believe that with all their magic, they couldn't do a thing. Harry, there and then, decided he would hunt him down. He knew what the killer looked like. Max and his family would have justice.

He was on the last leg of his run, when he saw a lone figure standing in front of his farmhouse. As he came closer, he noticed the person was wearing a cloak. He slowed down to a walk and cautiously approached the wizard. He stopped few meters away from the unknown visitor.

"Good morning. What can I do for you?" Harry greeted calmly, while he tried to breathe deeply and evenly.

"Good morning. My name is Remus Lupin. Do you mind if we talk inside. It's kind of a long story," Remus said cordially. Harry didn't move. He just continued to give the wizard a measuring look, noticing the graying hair, the tired face, the weird yellow tinged eyes, the shabby robe and cloak.

"Look, I can understand your hesitation. I am after all a stranger. But I assure you, I am just here to talk," Remus said persuasively.

"Do you have a wand?" Harry asked calmly. Remus answered affirmatively, a puzzled look on his face.

"Throw it here. You'll get it back after we talk," Harry said warily. Remus gave him a searching look before he threw his wand. Harry deftly caught it and walked towards the front door.


Harry offered him a seat in the kitchen while he heated a pot of tea. "So, Mr. Lupin, what do you want to talk about?" he inquired curiously.

"Please, call me Remus," Remus said. "Well, Mr. Evans... "

"Harry... You may call me Harry," Harry interrupted as he sat down facing his guest.

"Well, Harry, it has come to our attention that you can do magic. I was sent here to inform you that you have been accepted to study magic at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry," Remus said. He noticed a small smile on Harry's lips when he mentioned Hogwarts. There was no doubt he was a Potter. He looked so much like James with Lily's eyes and disposition. It was only sad his magic manifested late. A lot of heartaches could have been avoided. At least, Moody would like him with that small demonstration of caution.

"Why now? Why not when I was eleven? I know next to nothing about magic to mix with older students and I'm surely too old to attend classes with first years," Harry said, confused as well as intrigued.

"Hogwarts only registered your name when you did accidental magic. Before that, the school doesn't have any idea," Remus simply explained. "As for your age we can work around that. You can study the course work in advance from second year to fifth year, while you attend classes with first years. And then, you take your OWL. Hopefully before school ends, you have advanced to sixth year."

Remus almost laughed out loud at the look on Harry's face. He had a look of surprise and disbelief. His eyes were as big as saucers and his mouth was hanging open. His look of incredulity was broken by the rattling of the teapot. Harry stood up and poured tea. They sipped their tea in silence.

"You're joking, right?" Harry suddenly asked breaking the silence. "I mean, no one could possibly cram five years of studying magic in one school year. And, what is OWL?"

"I'm serious." At his words, Remus chuckled softly. Harry just gave him a puzzled look. "I'm sorry, private joke," he said coughing to cover his embarrassment. His face assumed a sober demeanor but with a hint of smile. "Ordinary Wizarding Level or OWL is like the muggle GCSE. And I know, at least, a couple of people who can do it. Don't worry. I'll ask Hermione Granger to help you. She's going to be a sixth year student and at the top of her class. And I'll bet some of the ladies will be more than happy to help you on your revision."

Remus watched Harry quietly study his teacup as if divining the future, his brows furrowed. "I'll learn magic, right?" Harry asked still looking at the teacup.

"And much more," Remus cryptically answered his face serious.

Harry wanted to accept the offer. He had dreamed about this for a long time ever since Dudley received his Hogwarts letter. But the memory of Max and the injustice his family suffered stopped him. He looked Remus in the eye. "Thank you for coming here and telling me. I would like to go to Hogwarts. I really do. But I have a promise to fulfill," Harry said softly his face a mask. "My answer is no."

Remus was silent for a minute feeling panic. "Is there anything I can do to change your mind?"

"Can you find my Uncle Max's murderer?" Harry asked flatly.

Remus regretfully shook his head. "Listen, Harry. You'll be better equipped to face your uncle's murderer if you study at Hogwarts."

Harry remained silent. His decision made. Remus sighed in defeat. "Would you agree to learn magic from me? I can teach you if you want."

"Why would you do that? You don't even know me." Harry gave him a puzzled look.

Remus smiled mysteriously. "Let's just say I know enough about you. Well, do you accept?" Harry gave him a searching look. Then he extended his right arm and they shook hands.

Remus then pulled out a sealed envelope from his robe and handed it to Harry who looked questioningly at him. "That's supposed to be your Hogwarts letter if you accepted to go to school. You can keep it and maybe someday show it to your children." Harry laughed lightheartedly.

They worked out the place, time, and people to instruct him. Harry agreed to move to Remus house for convenience sake. He didn't tell Harry the real reason why he had to study there. James, Lily and Remus agreed to let Harry get to know them first before telling him anything.

Remus was standing outside the door when he held out his hand. "My wand, please," he asked. Harry pulled it from behind where he tucked it in his pants' waistband, and then handed it to him.

"I will see you in three days, then." And with those words, he vanished with a pop.


Slytherin's Keep, a dark towering fortress, was standing near a cliff overlooking the English Channel. It was unplottable. No muggle or wizard knew of its existence other than Voldemort and his invited Death Eaters. Inside the fortress, you might think that it was dark and forbidding as it looked on the outside. It wasn't. You see, Voldemort fancied himself as a wizard king. As such, he liked to surround himself with expensive and beautiful things as befitting his stature and power, especially if he got it for free.

The cavernous hall was lit by floating candles. The ceiling was enchanted to look like the sky outside. The walls were decorated with expensive paintings and carvings. And life-sized marble statues of gods and goddesses from various cultures stood on polished white marble floor of the majestic hall. At the end of the hall, a polished black marble stone throne rested on a white marble dais. Behind it, a huge dark green tapestry hanged with the symbol of Death Eaters.

On the throne, Lord Voldemort, the twentieth century's latest most feared wizard sat regally wearing a dark resplendent cloak. Nagini, his snake familiar, was coiled around the throne's headrest. The few Death Eaters who stood as guards were unconcerned of the grandeur.

"My lord," said a Death Eater respectfully. He was kneeling on his left knee with his head bowed low. The cowl of his cloak covered his white masked face. He tensed as he made his report. "I have finally found the location of James Potter's squib son, my lord."

"Very good Flint," Voldemort grinned with evil satisfaction. "Go take six new recruits and bring Potter's son to me, alive. I have something in mind for him."

"Yes my lord. It will be done my lord," Flint answered gravely. He stood up with his head bowed and slowly backed away when he heard his lord and master speak again.

"And Flint, I hope you won't disappoint me," added Voldemort. His voice was deceptively casual, but the veiled threat was unmistakable.

"I shall not fail you, my lord," Flint promised with shaky bravado and left.


It was eleven o'clock in the evening when seven black cloaked wizards hiding their faces behind a white mask appeared fifteen meters from the farmhouse. For a moment, they surveyed the farmhouse and the surrounding area. Once in a while, dark clouds masked the moonlit night providing excellent cover of low light and shadows. Everything was quiet except for the honking of the geese.

"Remember, the Dark Lord wants him alive," Flint reminded his cohorts. "But he didn't say unharmed." Flint grinned nastily. He had been looking for some payback ever since the incident in Diagon Alley. When he found out the identity of the insolent fool who dared defy them, he immediately reported it to the Dark Lord. He knew Lord Voldemort would be pleased.

"Klugmore, Morras, go in through the back door," Flint said to the two men on his right. "Hayes, Williamson and Sheffield, stay outside and make sure he doesn't escape. Smyth and I will enter through the front door. Let's go."

They quietly and confidently walked towards the farmhouse. Their minds full of rewards they would receive from the Dark Lord.


Harry suddenly woke up. At first, he was disoriented until the honking of the geese penetrated his consciousness. He sat on the edge of his bed and ran his hands thru his already messy hair. Ever since the fight in Diagon Alley, he had been a light sleeper. The nightmare made it worse. A soft beeping sound pulled him from his dark memories. He looked at the source and saw his laptop flashing Intruder Alert warning.

He immediately sprang into action. He activated the computer tactical and camera screens. He was glad Max made him bury the detector mines in net pattern. He saw seven red dots moving towards the farmhouse. The black and white camera images showed cloaked figures.

"Wizards," Harry murmured angrily. "Big bad wizards come here to play."


"Alohomora//," Flint and Smyth silently opened the front door and went in. The room was illuminated by moonlight streaming through the windows. "Lumos//," They stood there for a minute to orient themselves. A door to their left opened slowly. Two shadows were entering the sitting room. Flint signaled for Klugmore and Morras to check the dining room and cellar, while he and Smyth cautiously and silently climbed the stairs.

"I have a bad feeling about this," Morras muttered fatalistically. He went to check the toilet and dining room, found nothing, and went back to stand near the stairs. He was so busy looking upstairs that he didn't notice a shadow moved from the fireplace. He didn't have a chance to make a sound as a hand clamped over his mouth and felt a pinprick on the side of his neck.

Down at the cellar, Klugmore was enjoying a little bit of wine under the glow of his wand. "Ouch!" he yelped surprised. He felt a biting sting at the back of his neck. He staggered a little bit as if drunk, and then fell flat on his back, the wine bottle cradled in his arm.

Outside, Sheffield was busy trying to twirl his wand the way the Dark Lord would do. He cursed loudly when he dropped his wand. He was slowly losing his patience. He was about to pick up his wand from the ground again, when he noticed a red dot suddenly appeared on his chest. He tentatively brushed it off. Nothing happened. The red dot was still there. A pointed object had embedded on his flesh before he even knew what it was. Hayes and Williamson went down as easily as the others.

"Anything?" Flint whispered, annoyed after several minutes of searching the rooms. Smyth shook his head. "Have you checked the attic?" Again Smyth shook his head. Flint angrily pointed at Smyth and then pointed at the trap door. Smyth quickly but silently climbed the short ladder. He searched the small attic and went down again, empty handed.

"Where could he be?" Flint muttered beginning to get nervous. They had systematically searched the upper floor but yielded nothing. He didn't want to go back without Potter but it seemed nobody was home. Fuming at the inconsiderate squib, Flint decided to leave before the aurors were alerted. He didn't know that Smyth in his excitement failed to report the rumpled state of one bed.

They were standing in the sitting room again. "Klugmore, Morras where are you? We're leaving," Flint whispered angrily. He moved towards a window to check the others outside. No one seemed to be at their station. "Bloody idiots, why do I get saddled with bloody idiots?" The other sniggered.

Blagh

Smyth fell down unconscious, a pointed object sticking out of his neck. "Nox//!" Flint yelled as he scrambled for cover, hoping the darkness would buy him some time. His heart began to pump faster and a familiar feeling of fear course through his body.

"You have no chance Potter. Surrender," Flint said loudly, frantically searching for his prey. He was wondering what happened to the bloody idiots, Klugmore, Morras, Hayes, Williamson, and Sheffield.

"I think you have the wrong guy. My name is not Potter," a voice answered from his right.

"Reducto//!" he yelled quickly pointing his wand at the source of the voice.

"Don't try to fool me Potter. I killed your precious uncle, remember? And I will kill you too if you don't surrender," he said haughtily as he quickly moved to another location. Sweat began to form on his forehead as he tried to calm his jumpy nerves. "I heard you cried like a baby. But then again, squib like you are weak like your dead uncle." He heard a noise on his left this time.

"Diffindo//!" he quickly yelled, then suddenly heard footsteps running towards him from his right. He tried to yell a curse but a body tackled him to the floor. They wrestled on the floor causing a ruckus as they bumped on furniture and unsettled vases and lampshades. Flint managed to free himself from the scuffle and was about to yell a curse when a foot hit his right knee and broke his kneecap. He went down screaming in pain and was pinned down. Flint tried his best to hold on to his wand and disapparate but he couldn't concentrate. Potter had a hold on his wand arm and delivered vicious blows after blows on his face and body until he felt something break again. In the act of desperation and panic, he flailed his other hand hoping to hit something. He accidentally hit Potter on the face which gave him a chance to push him off his body. He pointed his wand in Potter's direction and yelled, "Crucio//!" Flint saw him jumped out of the way before he disapparated.

Harry saw his uncle's murderer disappeared. Soon after that, he heard several loud pops in the living room. He quickly leg swiped the nearest wizard and followed it with a vicious kick in the face. Someone tackled him from behind. They grappled on the floor throwing punches at each other. Harry ignored the pains on his face and body. He head butted the intruder and was about to deliver a blow when he felt something poked him at the back of his neck.

"Don't move. You're under arrest," a voice said coldly.
Sign up to rate and review this story