Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Second Fiddle

Family Reunion pt. 2

by Crucio_Crusade 3 reviews

Harry Potter is aware of the wizarding world. The only problem is he grew up apart from it. When he explored the magical world, he found danger, wonder, and friendship.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Characters: Harry, Hermione, Neville, Voldemort - Warnings: [!] [?] [V] - Published: 2006-08-07 - Updated: 2006-08-08 - 2138 words

5Exciting
Disclaimer: This fan fiction was based on the Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling. I do not claim ownership on any character created by J.K. Rowling, and no money is collected from this story. This is one way I show appreciation to J.K. Rowling's works. Other names or places on this story are fictional. Any similarity to actual name is purely coincidental.




Chapter 7: Family Reunion pt. 2

The atmosphere in the Potter Manor was tense. The whole family was in the sitting room but nobody was interested in conversation.

Chel noticed her parents holding hands, and giving each other reassuring smile. "Do you think Harry will like Quidditch?" asked William her brother. "Do you know he's a star foosball player in his school? He led his team to win the championship three times in a row since he joined. How cool is that?"

"It's called football. And how did you know all this?" Chel asked puzzled. Her red hair was held by gold ornamental hair clips. She was wearing a simple white dress.

"I asked Uncle Remus," William simply replied. "He and dad tried to find out everything about Harry ever since mum told him about the accidental magic at St. Mungo." He was about to say more when the doorbell chimed.

"I'll get it," William said immediately and ran to answer the door. James also stood up and followed his son.

"William wait," James called back his son. "They're still at the gate son. Harry can't enter without my permission." William looked disappointed. "Why don't you wait with your mum? I won't be long."

Soon enough Harry was being introduced to Lily Potter, Chenille Potter and William Potter. Chel couldn't believe her eyes. Harry looked like a younger version of her father but more attractive. It might be the way he carried himself or maybe his expressive eyes thought Chel.

"My ladies and sirs, lunch is served," the dignified looking house elf announced. "Please, walk this way." Harry followed the others. He decided not to take the word of the little creature quite literary.

They led him to the dining room and took their seat. He sat down beside William. "So Harry, do you like Quidditch?" William asked eagerly after he spooned potatoes on his plates. Harry didn't have any idea on what he was asking and it showed on his face.

Chel rolled her eyes at her thick brother. "Excuse my brother Harry. He sometimes talks without thinking first." She, then, explained Quidditch to Harry. "Quidditch is a wizard sport played on a broom. You have seven players on each team, plus reserves if you're playing professionally. Three played as chasers." She went on and on. By the time she was done, Harry had a blank look on his face. Everyone had an amused expression on their faces except for William. His lips were clamped tight to contain his laughter but his shoulders were shaking.

"I'm sure I'll understand it better if I see how it's played or better yet if I can read something about the game," Harry placated seeing her embarrassed. He too was having a hard time containing his mirth. Feeling much more relaxed, he directed his attention to Lily. "You have a very beautiful house Mrs. Potter. I have only seen this kind of house on TV. I can certainly understand why you want to hide it."

"Oh, the ward is not for burglars alone. It is also to keep out Death Eaters or anyone who wish to harm our family," Lily explained.

"You should have more defense system installed then, not just the ward. Uncle Max... " Harry paused for a minute. He still felt the ache in his heart as he mentioned his uncle's name. "Uncle Max and I have various traps set up inside and outside the farmhouse in case Death Eaters come for me."

"Is that how you defeated those Death Eaters, with traps?" Remus asked, intrigued.

"No, just the dart gun and the darts," Harry replied nonchalant. "They probably wouldn't hear me even if I drop a cymbal beside them."

"Well, I, for one, am glad it's over," Lily said, relieved. She dearly wanted to hug Harry, to comfort him, to tell him he was not alone.

They talked a wide variety of subjects, mostly involving magic because Harry was very curious. After lunch, the children dragged him to see the house. Harry was hesitant at first. He didn't want to seem rude to his host and hostess. But, they only urged him to go. They went from room to room. Chel told him the history on some of the rooms with William adding a few side stories.

They stepped outside and showed him the Quidditch pitch. Harry couldn't believe at the size of it. It was easily bigger than a football field. Chel was explaining to him the finer points of Quidditch when he felt a yank on his right arm.

"Come on Harry. I'll teach you how to ride a broom," William said eagerly. Chel resigned herself to following them knowing her brother's passion for Quidditch.


Inside the Potter Manor sitting room, James was restlessly pacing. Remus was sitting on a leather armchair calmly sipping his tea. Lily tensely sat on a settee following James with her eyes.

"We have to tell him everything Lily," James said as he continued pacing. "We have no choice. The Death Eater who tried to kill him kept calling him Potter."

"Do you think that's wise James? We have agreed to wait till he gets to know us before we tell him everything." Lily felt it was too soon to tell Harry about his 'family'.

"Dad! Dad!" a voice shouted before the door was plunged open. William rushed in and stopped in front of his father, out of breath. "Harry," he said, gulping air as he tried to talk.

"What is it William? Has something happened to Harry?" James asked worried. He was about to ask William again when Chel and Harry entered the room.

"It's Harry dad. He was brilliant on the broom," William said with admiration. He, then, excitedly gave a blow by blow account of what Harry did. James, Lily and Remus were smiling at Harry's embarrassment. "You have to buy him a broom dad. He is really, really good." With that, Lily nervously gave Remus a meaningful look.

"Okay William, Chel, I think you both have to tell me everything in great detail. Let's go to the library." Remus put his hands on William's and Chela's shoulders and directed them towards the door. William kept protesting as he and his sister were ushered out of the room. James closed the door behind them.

"Have a seat Harry. We have something important to tell you," James said as he joined his wife in the settee. Harry sat on the chair Remus vacated. He looked expectantly at the couple sitting opposite him.

"Tell me. How much do you know about your parents?" James asked nervously. Lily covered his left hand with hers.

"My parents?" Harry was surprised by the question. He looked quizzically at both James and Lily. "I only know what Aunt Petunia told me. She's my mum's sister by the way."

"And what has she told you?" Lily asked softly. She looked like she didn't want to hear the answer but was too curious to let it go.

Harry didn't answer. His face had a neutral expression but his eyes were wary. The one topic he didn't want to discuss with strangers was his parents. "What is this all about? Why are you interested with my parents?"

James and Lily exchanged nervous glances. Then James turned to him and somberly said, "We are interested because we are your parents."

Harry was speechless. He didn't know whether to laugh at the obvious joke or to be angry for making fun of him. He continued to look at them with skepticism.

"Harry, we really are your parents," Lily said this time, her eyes glistening with tears.

When Harry saw they were serious, his face became a mask. A tense silence settled in the room. The couple anxiously waited for Harry's reaction.

"Why?" he finally asked in a calm soft voice. He felt detached as if he was an observer not a participant. He felt emotionally numb.

"Why what Harry?" James asked worried at his son's calm demeanor.

"Why are you telling me this now? Why do you suddenly care? WHY DID YOU GIVE ME AWAY? WHY DIDN'T YOU WANT ME?" Harry was yelling by the time he finished his questions. He was tensely sitting on the edge of his seat. His hands tightly gripped the armrests of the chair.

James and Lily were speechless. They couldn't give Harry a reasonable explanation to justify what they did. In the end, they lowered their eyes. They couldn't bear to look at the hurt and betrayal reflected on Harry's eyes.

Harry took a couple of deep breaths to contain his rage. He looked at the ceiling and blinked several times to dispel the tears forming in his eyes. After a moment, he laughed derisively while settling back on the leather armchair. James and Lily looked at Harry when they heard the humorless laughed.

"I just want to know. Why did you give me away? What was wrong with me?" Harry asked coldly, trying not to lose his temper.

"Magic." Harry frowned at the odd answer. "You were born without magic," James added uneasily. "We have to give you away to shield you from the ridicule and cruelty of our world. If we kept you, Voldemort and his Death Eaters will try to kill you not only because you're my son but also because you're a squib. Wizardkind is not as tolerant and forward thinking as most muggles. We rather have you alive than dead."

"That's it?" Harry's face showed disbelief. "You put me through hell because I lack magic? Do you have any idea what I went through at Aunt Petunia's house?" He glared at them, at their worried and puzzled face, and then it dawned on him. "You didn't know, did you? You left me at Aunt Petunia's lap and forgot about me." The glitter in his eyes died. They became cold, dead. "I see. For the longest time, I firmly believe Aunt Petunia was lying about you. You couldn't be mean and irresponsible parents. But instead she was right all along. Everything she said was right."

Harry couldn't continue his tirade after that. He felt a lump in his throat and tried to swallow it down. His heart ached and his chest felt constricted. He tried to breath deeply to loosen the constriction and drive away the pain in his heart. When he was younger, he always thought of outlandish excuses why his parents gave him away. He shouldn't have bothered. They're not worth it.

"Harry, please, give us a chance to explain," Lily begged, a tear ran down her cheek. Her eyes were pleading.

"There is nothing more to explain Mrs. Potter. I understand perfectly." Harry stood up, his face expressionless. There was no laughter or anger in his eyes. There was nothing to indicate the raging turmoil inside him. "Thank you for the invite Mr. Potter. Could you tell Mr. Lupin that I would like to go home now? I'll wait for him at the foyer." He walked towards the door.

"Harry, wait!" James grabbed Harry's left shoulder. He found himself flying backward and hit the floor hard near the fireplace. Lily screamed and ran towards his disoriented husband. Harry merely gave them a dispassionate look and opened the door. Three people fell down in front of him.

"This is not how it looks," Remus tried to explain. He was blushing with embarrassment for being caught eavesdropping.

"Dad!" William suddenly yelled. He quickly stood up and ran to his father followed by his sister. Remus saw Lily helping James on his feet. He, too, slowly stood up and regarded Harry with a perplexed gaze.

"I like to go home now Mr. Lupin," Harry said formally.

Remus didn't miss the change in his attitude. He watched helplessly as Harry left the room. He walked towards the Potter family noticing their depressed faces. Lily was fussing over her husband. James was still shaken but looked alright. Their children were quietly observing them.

"I take it he didn't accept your explanation?" Remus tried to lighten the tense feeling in the room.

James sadly shook his head. "He didn't give us a chance to fully explain the situation."

"Don't lose hope. Give him time to calm down and then try again." Remus said sympathizing with his friends' plight. He doubted he could do a better job. "Well, I better go and see Dumbledore so Harry can enter Sirius' house."
Sign up to rate and review this story