Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > We'll Make Them So Jealous - Patrick Stumph

One.

by punkypromqueen 4 reviews

taadaaa

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Published: 2006-08-12 - Updated: 2006-08-13 - 2697 words

1Ambiance
Fiona ran across the Florida State Campus as fast as humanly possible, the fact of the matter was, she was late. Fi took part in the Campus Late Night talk show that was on every weeknight from midnight to one in the morning. Her official job title was 'head sound coordinator' (you know the person who makes sure everyone can be heard) but the truth of the matter was, the head anchor was a dumb ass Barbie doll clone that couldn't write a decent interview if her life depended on it, and the director was a shy pushover that let everyone walk all over him. Fiona basically ran the show. This particular day, Monday, along with the show, she also had an astronomy lab that lasted until 11:15, which was, ironically, the time she had to be at the station on the other side of campus. Her black Chuck Taylor's smacked the brick sidewalk as she ran. Tonight's show was an especially important one, the head of the Communications Department had pulled some strings and gotten Fall Out Boy to make an appearance. Fiona groaned as she imagined the questions Stacy (Barbie Anchor) would ask if she didn't get there in time. Fi reached the building the station was located in and instead waiting for the elevator she ran up five flights of stairs carrying her messenger bag and telescope case (Astronomy doi). She threw open the glass door that led into the station and ignored Mr. Wilson the Department Head yelling about how late she was. She proceeded into the studio dumped her shit on a random desk and ran onstage.
"It's about time you showed up Fungus." Stacy spat at her, Fiona rolled her eyes and placed the question list on the anchor desk, and grabbed the lavaliere microphones.
"Where are the Flip Out Kids?" Fiona asked misconstruing their name purposely to piss Stacy off. Stacy groaned,
"Fall Out Boy, and they are over there. Only two of them are here, the other
two are busy or something." She pointed to the snack table. Fiona walked over to the table Stacy said the band was at, and recognized the two guys standing there as, in fact, members of Fall Out Boy. Fiona cursed her bad memory; she could never put names to faces very well.
"Uhm, excuse me Mr. Guy with the hat and the sideburns who has a voice like sex, and Mr. Guy who wears eyeliner, and hoodies, and makes all the girlies scream." Patrick and Pete both looked up, and she smiled. Patrick was immediately smitten, he didn't even care that she had no idea what his name was. Pete laughed, and she continued.
"Hi, I'm sorry I'm not very good with putting faces to names, it'll come to me." She paused to think and then her eyes grew wide and she snapped her fingers, "Patrick and Pete." She laughed,
"I'm Fiona, the head sound technician," She reached over and shook both of their hands before continuing, "and if it's ok with you two I need to hook up your mikes." She held up the microphones, The boys nodded and Fi smiled again.
"Ok, great." She replied and tied her long brown hair up revealing the fuchsia that lay hidden underneath. Pete smirked again,
"Uh oh looks like we have a closet punk."
"I think of it as my sole form of rebellion." She laughed again and stuck her arm up the back of Patrick's shirt guiding the mike wire to his collar and clipping it in place. She noticed the look he had on his face in response to her hand being up his shirt and laughed.
"Yeah I go for second base on the first date." Patrick gave her a nervous laugh, she just shook her head and moved on to Pete. As soon as she clipped his mike into place her phone started ringing, she jumped and tried to silence it before Mr. Wilson noticed. She threw back her head and groaned,
"Hola Abuletia."
"Bein, y usted?" she glanced at her watch, and gave a confused look. Why in the hell is my grandma calling me at freaking 11:40 at night? She thought and then glanced over to the boys who were giving her a look. They were surprised at her sudden language change.
"Si, si. Abulea tengo que ir." She cut her grandma off and shut her phone, giving them a slight smile.
"Yeah that was definitely my grandma, she only speaks Spanish, but anyways,
these are the questions Stacy is going to ask you." She said and handed them each a sheet of paper with the questions on them, "Uhm, I wrote them so that they aren't too complicated or anything, you guys should have no problems."
Patrick gave her a confused look,
"You wrote the interview? I thought you were the sound technician." Fi nodded,
"I am, but Suzy Spandex over there can't write a proper interview to save her life so Chris, the director, asks me to write them." They both nodded and Fiona continued,
"Alright, well you guys won't go onstage until you're introduced so you can
hang out here, or over there, or where ever until its show time. Since we're
not controlled by the FCC or anything of that nature, feel free to use whatever
colorful language you pleas-" She was cut off by Stacy yelling for her,
"Fiona these questions are like totally lame. No one cares about," She paused to
read a question out loud, "How their a-dap-tation to fame has been. People want to know if they have girlfriends and if Pete's butt is as firm as it looks in those tight little pants he wears." Stacy sighed dreamily and put her head in her awaiting palm. Chris groaned,
"Stacy, just read the questions Fi gave you." Fiona chuckled a little to herself before pulling the elastic out of her hair letting the long brown locks tumble down. Pete nudged Patrick who was unintentionally staring.
"If you guys need anything else let me know, alright?" The boys nodded and thanked her. She started to walk away but paused and turned around,
"One last thing, I am completely embarrassed in my lack of preparation, and I am so sorry to offend you guys by not remembering your names." Fiona nodded before continuing to walk away.
"We're not offended." Patrick yelled after her, she just turned around and gave them a polite nod and wave. Pete laughed at his friend, Patrick looked over at him and Pete mocked,
"We're not offended." Patrick punched his arm, and Pete pretended to be hurt. Fiona walked over to the soundboard and put on the headphones, Chris signaled that they would be live in
5,
4,
3,
2,
and he pointed to Stacy, gesturing her to begin.

"Welcome to the Night-time 'Nole, Florida State University's only late night talk show. I'm Stacy Silverman. We have a great show tonight, Pete and Patrick from Fall Out Boy are here. Lets not waste any time and bring them on out."
Pete and Patrick were escorted to the seats next to Stacy's desk. They exchanged formalities, and then Stacy jumped right into the interview.

"What is your advice to college students that want to go into the music business?
Pete: Stay in school. Do not get into the music business. The thing is - I know some of the kids that take classes on music business and stuff, and it's not even like that. I don't know anybody that really benefited from it.
Patrick: The music business is one of a few places where everything you've heard about it seems entirely cliché, but it's true.
Pete: The turnover rate is so fast. If you value your own ideals and ethical standards, do not get involved.

How has been the adaptation to fame in its various forms, it
must be difficult to rationalize the person you think you are with the
person the media wants you to be?

Patrick: It's like there are certain behaviors that are thrust on
you, and you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. I don't think of
us as famous, I know Pete's face is all over everything but I only see him
as some asshole that hangs out with me. The way you see yourself versus the
way people see you is massively different at times. This whole thing came up
because a journalist recently asked me why we do encores. I had no idea what
to say to her; if we do one you will be mad at us for doing an encore and
being rock stars, if we don't do one you will be mad because we didn't do
enough songs. We could have played twenty songs but because we did not do
the encore we are short-changing you. If we played nineteen then did an
encore twentieth then those people would have been satisfied even though
it's exactly the same.
Pete: if you display a behavior that is consistent with the way
people want to see you then you will get tarred with it.
Patrick: If you do enough research you can prove that Paul McCartney is dead even though he is not, there are things that people want to believe whatever the
actual truth is. Supposedly I am the shy and nice one, but I am way more extroverted than I ever was before and I am an asshole. He is the asshole that is out there all over the place but he is a way nicer dude.
Pete: No one writes that story dude, I will say a thousand times that Patrick is my golden ticket, my lottery ticket that he is a genius. Then in the story I read all they do is try and stir up that the band has animosity in it and whether we did display that or not, people have stories they want to write or want to tell. When we are in a vacuum, when it's the four of us on
a bus, or the four of us at Chucky Cheese like it was the other night and it's fucking awesome, we are not weird at all. But then someone comes in with this fucking agenda and it all changes.

The pre and misconceptions that people have about you as people and as a band must be hard to deal with?
Patrick: I have two things on that, one is how everyone sees Pete as a mogul...
Pete: Yeah, I'm totally a mogul even though I got up at 11.30 this morning. I'm not a very good one.
Patrick: At the end of the day, if this dude was just into making money there are far better and easier ways to do it. He signed Panic! because he liked Panic!, it was one of those things that he wanted to be involved in or whatever. People say whatever they want about fucking see, and us, that there is tension in the band or this or that, if you want anything proven about our band go see us live. If you want to see us in our most natural state and enjoying
ourselves that is where it will be.

Pete, do you find the attention difficult, like it detracts away from
the band?

Pete: It is hard because a lot of times I will purposefully be on the backburner for an interview or stand at the side of a shot. I mean I am a talkative person in general but I will force myself to shut up to give everyone else room and to give the press something else to write about. But I also find myself overcompensating because I get super nervous about it and I don't want the band to think I am being awkward.

It must be tough to self police to that level...
Pete: I feel like half the time when I am talking and writing online that all it is is damage control. All I do is explain this bit of press or this incident. What's more frustrating is when people who interview us think they are getting the real story but what they are actually doing is chopping up
and dissecting what we say until it does not mean anything more.
Patrick: It is hard for this band sometimes as there is such momentum behind things that are essentially lies, this dude is not a mogul he is a dude. Yeah he has interests and he occasionally does things but whatever, I am also so sick to death of reading about the time this dude got sick. We all know; we were all there. It does detract from the stuff he writes as they are trying to read it all into what he is doing. Take the words for the words.
Pete: To me, I feel a small part guilty as you put so much of what you feel out there and then people start reading that into the art and over analyzing it. At that point you cannot digest what this band is doing as it loses all semblance of meaning.

People think they know you too well, yet they don't...
Patrick: People have to remember that our second record was us learning to write, it came from a lot of different places. Know we are at a point where we do it so well that writing a song between the two of us is like a phone call. It is expressed between the two of us, we do not have to constantly ask each other if we like it or not. I think the next record will give a clearer indication of who we are and where we are at. Better than a lot of the articles you read about this band."

With the interview over Stacy thanked them for appearing on the show, and then proceeded with the closing. As soon as the credits rolled Fi threw down her headphones, grabbed her messenger bag and telescope case and attempted to run out the door glancing behind her to make sure Mr. Wilson wasn't watching. She ended up running straight into someone, hitting them was like hitting a brick wall and she fell to the floor.
"Fuck I'm sorry." She said from her spot on the floor and looked up to see Patrick, he smiled and knelt down to help her pick up her things.
"It's fine." He stated as he handed Fi her telescope case with an arched eyebrow,
"Why do you have a telescope?" Fiona laughed,
"Monday nights I have an astronomy lab, which is why I was late today."
"Astronomy?" He questioned and she nodded,
"Yeah, for my major in communications, obviously," She started and gestured to the television studio around her before continuing, "I needed to take a science with
a lab, and dumb ass me, instead of taking Baby Bio with the rest of the
slackers, decided to take Astronomy which only has labs late at night." He nodded, and handed her a guitar pick that fell out of her bag,
"And what's that for?" He asked and it was her turn to arch an eyebrow,
"Now Mr. Stump, I know you know what a guitar pick is." They both laughed, but were suddenly stopped by Pete yelling profanities into his phone, he finished and shut his phone.
"What's up?" Patrick asked him, and Pete sighed,
"Looks like we're homeless for tonight." Patrick groaned, stood up, and then offered Fi his hand. She gladly accepted it and pulled herself off the floor.
"Uhm, I know this is tre-weird but you could sleep on my floor so you guys
aren't homeless."
"Really?" the boys asked in unison, and Fi nodded.
"Yeah, I mean I live in a really shitty dorm. But it's clean, sort of, my room
mate is really cool, and we have a very nice floor." She laughed now feeling stupid for asking.
"Are you sure you don't mind?" Patrick asked. Fiona nodded once more,
"Not at all."

---
interview part totally not all mine, i had some help from real interviews also too bad i don't remember which ones, but props to them :)
Sign up to rate and review this story