Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Second Fiddle

Magical Lessons pt. 2

by Crucio_Crusade 3 reviews

Harry Potter is aware of the wizarding world. The only problem is he grew up apart from it. When he explored the magical world, he found danger, wonder, and friendship.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Characters: Harry, Hermione, Neville, Voldemort - Warnings: [!] [?] [V] - Published: 2006-08-13 - Updated: 2006-08-13 - 3206 words

5Insightful
Disclaimer: This fan fiction was based on the Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling. I do not claim ownership on any character created by J.K. Rowling, and no money is collected from this story. This is one way I show appreciation to J.K. Rowling's works. Other names or places on this story are fictional. Any similarity to actual name is purely coincidental.




Chapter 9: Magical Lessons pt. 2

Harry was making a list of what he was going to practice tomorrow. Most of the people who were regularly in the house were going to attend Neville Longbottom's birthday party. Hermione, Mrs. Weasley, and her family already left earlier. So, he would practically be alone in the house. He looked at his list and decided it was enough for the moment. He would add other things once he mastered these.

He began reading books about Apparition three nights ago. He found it very interesting. It doesn't look like it's hard, either. Of course, there was the possibility of failure. After all, he also read some of the gruesome results of bad Apparition. Fred and George also told him a story about a witch who apparated in to her house and ended up with her head inside a stove. Harry shivered at the thought of that. But, thinking back to that night at the Wicker Farm, he admitted it was dead useful as a means of escape.

He tiredly set down the book, stood up, and stretched his limbs. He was amazed this library was the least visited in the house. Didn't they know that "knowledge is power"? He went back to his chair and reviewed his short to-do list.

Apparition

Animagus

Invisibility

Shields

Prank Spells

Justice for a friend

"I thought I might find you here," a soft voice broke the silence, startling Harry. He inconspicuously covered his to-do list before he turned around in his chair. "What are you reading?" Remus asked curiously.

"Oh, just some defence book," he said casually. He knew Remus seemed a bit haggard most of the time. Tonight, however, he seemed worse. "Are you alright? You look terrible."

Remus sat on the chair next to him. He glanced at the title of some of the books. "I'm fine. It's because of the full moon tomorrow." Before Harry could ask what he meant, Remus started talking again. "So, how are you and Hermione getting along?"

"You mean the tutorial?" Harry clarified not really sure what he meant.

"Yeah, that too." Remus laughed when he saw Harry blushed. "I'm telling you. She is a good catch."

"I'm sure she is. But, I have a feeling she's not looking for any romantic involvement right now. Besides, we hardly know each other." Harry wondered how he and Hermione became the topic of this conversation. "Anyway, is there something else you want to talk about? I'm sure you didn't come here just to talk about me and Hermione."

"You never know..." Remus listlessly shuffled the books on the table. "Do you have anything planned on your birthday? You know, even though, you were not with them, they always celebrate your birthday. I'm sure it'll mean a lot to them if you can have dinner with them."

Harry sighed exasperated. "Did they tell you to ask me? Because, if they did..."

"No! No, they didn't. This is of my own initiative," Remus hastily replied. "They did remind me it's going to be this Wednesday. I... I just thought that you might like to come with me."

Harry didn't answer. He just stared at the pages of the open book in front of him. "I appreciate you asking me Remus, but I... maybe next year."

Remus nodded slowly. He stood up defeated. "Your parents made a grievous mistake and they paid for it. In fact, they're still paying for it. You have a great opportunity to reconcile your differences and put the past behind you. You and your parents have suffered enough. I think it's time to end it."

Harry listened to the fading sound of Remus' footsteps. Once again, he was alone in the library. He tried to get back to his studies, but he couldn't concentrate. He can still hear Remus' parting words. Finally, he decided to go to bed early.


Harry woke up earlier the next morning. The sun was still in bed. He went through his morning sanitary ritual before heading to the dueling room. Candles automatically lit up when he entered. This used to be a gaming room. It was stripped of all decoration and converted to a dueling room. A charm was used to enlarge the room. He knew he could use this room to practice Apparition because he overheard a conversation between Tonks and Remus. It seemed they would teach Neville how to apparate ahead of school curriculum. Hence, anti-Apparition charm was negated only on this room.

He walked to the middle of the room. He stood calmly, letting the air flow inside his body as he breathed in and out. Once he felt the rhythm of his body, he went through his tai chi exercises. It took him a little over an hour to finish. With his mind and body refreshed, he decided to practice Apparition.

He looked around the room for a spot to apparate. He decided on the rug near the fireplace. Picturing the place of the rug in his mind, he closed his eyes and willed himself to be there. He felt tingling sensation throughout his body, followed by the feeling of being squeezed. He half-heard two loud cracks in succession. When he opened his eyes, he was standing on the marble tiled floor. He was off his target by roughly ninety centimeters. But he was successful.

Feeling more confident, he decided to apparate back to his original position. When he opened his eyes, he drew back, surprised to see Remus closely glaring at him.

"Just what do you think you're doing?" Remus asked crossly, his face more haggard than ever before.

"I'm... ah... practicing my Apparition?" Harry replied uneasily. He didn't count on Remus getting out of bed this early. He sure could use some more beauty sleep.

Remus wrestled with his rising temper. He didn't want to make a big deal out of this. "Do you have any idea how dangerous Apparition is without qualified adult supervision? You could have splinched yourself and no one would have known about it. Your body parts could be lying around the floor." Harry didn't speak. He knew he took a big risk apparating. "What if Dobby had come in here and just picked up your... your hand and used it as a toilet brush. Or, he could have picked your head and used it to crack nuts. What would you do then?"

By the end of Remus tirade, Harry was trying hard not to smile. "Well, since I didn't splinched myself, do I have to answer your rhetorical question?" Harry asked cheekily.

"No. But, next time you try any advance magic, please consult a knowledgeable adult." Remus looked at him expectantly. Harry nodded. "Well then, let's see you apparate."

Without a second thought, Harry disapparated and apparated with a loud crack. "Very good, Harry. Hermione was right. You are a fast learner." Harry grinned broadly. "With a little bit more practice, you can reduce the sound you make in apparating. Go ahead, Harry. Keep on practicing. This time feel your magic."

Harry spent the whole day practicing Apparition. Dobby's supplied them with food or snacks during break time. If Harry was honest with himself, he would say Dobby cooked better than Mrs. Weasley. With Remus' help, he managed to apparate with a soft pop. It was only when he was so exhausted that he decided to call it a day. Harry wanted to thank Remus during dinner but he disappeared before nightfall.


"Good morning, Harry." Harry looked up from the book he was reading. Remus seemed to be in a good mood this morning. And, he looked a little better than yesterday. "This is for you." Remus gave him a long slender gift wrapped box. He quizzically looked at Remus. "Go ahead. Open it."

Harry slowly untied the ribbon and opened the box. Inside laid a wand. Harry picked it up and silver sparks flew. He felt his magic vibrate through the wand and traveled throughout his body. This was the wand that Max almost bought for him. "How did you know which wand to buy?"

"The box already has your name on it. Look." Remus flipped the box and sure enough, his name was written on it. It was really fortunate Mr. Ollivander marked it before he disappeared.

"Thank you, Remus. And, thank you for helping me yesterday," Harry said sincerely.

"You're welcome," Remus answered casually. "Tell you what. Why don't we go to Hogsmeade to celebrate? And, I can show you around Hogwarts."

"What about Hermione? Won't she be back today?" Harry asked quizzically.

"Missing her already, eh?" Harry glared at him. Remus laughed heartily. "No. I told her she could resume her lessons on the first of August."

Harry enthusiastically closed the book he was reading. "I'll go get my cloak."


They apparated outside of Hogsmeade. Remus didn't want to take the chance of someone seeing Harry apparate. Harry listened intently as Remus explained the all-wizard village.

"That inn, over there, is called Hog's Head. It serves as hangout for less discriminating customers." Remus would have continued walking but Harry stopped him.

"Will the barman serve a less aged wizard if he wants to imbibe Firewhisky?" Harry asked jokingly. Remus somberly considered his question. "Oh, come on. I'm sixteen and it's my birthday. One shot... or two... wouldn't do any harm, would it?"

"I supposed not," Remus answered slowly, giving Harry a measuring look. "Well, since it's your birthday... Come on." Harry happily followed Remus inside the inn.

Remus ordered a bottle of Firewhisky. He filled both their shot glasses. "Here's to your health, Harry."

Harry raised his glass in salute and tipped the content down his throat. It felt like he swallowed real fire. He started to gag and cough hard at the burning sensation. Tears formed in his eyes. Remus just laughed at him. When the fiery feeling started to subside, Harry rebuked Remus for not warning him.

"I don't want to spoil the surprise. Here, this is the last one. I still want to show you Hogwarts." When Remus finished pouring, he capped the bottle and shrank it. The burning sensation was still strong as ever. But, Harry managed not to gag or worse, puke. "Could you still stand, Harry?" Remus asked with false concern, his voice tinged with amusement.

"Watch me." Harry managed to stand albeit unsteadily.

They were on their way out when four men came in and blocked the door. Remus gently brushed Harry to one side to give the men clear passage. Instead of walking all the way inside, the big thickset man, probably the leader, stopped in front of Remus.

"What are you doing here, traitor?" the man surly asked.

"Excuse me? I don't believe we've met?" Remus asked coolly.

"I'm surprised you don't remember me. My name's Fenrir Greyback." Greyback smiled at the gasp his name elicited.

"What do you want, Greyback?" Remus asked fiercely. But, Greyback wasn't looking at him. He was giving Harry a curious look.

"Is that your pup, Lupin? It's been a while since I tasted young blood." Greyback grinned hungrily at Harry.

Harry gave him the finger, grinning mockingly.

Greyback didn't like it one bit. With a loud roar, he forcefully shoved Remus aside and attacked the impudent pup. He was surprised when the pup caught his left arm and flipped him over a table. The air was knocked out of his lungs. He howled in anger. He deliberately stood up and carefully considered the pup. "You know how to fight. That's good. I enjoy a challenge. It'll make my victory a little sweeter." Greyback gave a feral grin.

Without warning, he suddenly charged planning to catch his prey and squeezed the life out of him. His arms were forcefully brushed aside before he could touch the pup. His body twisted to the left. His run was stopped as a knee embedded in his right side torso. He howled in pain as he felt his ribs crack forcing him to bend over. It was quickly followed by a powerful elbow blow to his neck which made the bone pop. If it was any ordinary man, he would have passed out from the pain. But, Fenrir Greyback was no ordinary man. He was an alpha werewolf.

Remus was hoping for some kind of miracle...preferably the Order or auror kind. The three men with Greyback prevented him from interfering with the fight. Remus as well as Greyback's henchmen promptly drew their wands. He swiftly scanned the pub and he could tell nobody was going to help them. All the patrons pressed their backs against the wall. It seemed the barman was running a betting pool. He could see Harry was holding his own. But he knew it wouldn't last long. Greyback was a werewolf with superior strength and stamina. When Harry grew tired, that'll be the end of it. He had to reach Harry, fast.

Remus barely managed to avoid a Cutting Curse as his shield failed. He avoided three more curses heading his way. The three wizards were trying to box him in. He cast two successive stunning spells which found their mark. He pressed his attack to keep his opponent from reviving his comrades. It was in this heat of battle when an idea popped into his mind. His lost of concentration made him slower to raise a shield. A Blasting Curse blew him across the room.

Harry was getting tired slowly but surely. He was wondering what Greyback was made of. No matter how hard he hit him. He wouldn't stay down. The injuries he caused should have incapacitated Greyback. The only thing saving him was Greyback's uncoordinated attacks. He was like a wild animal.

Harry saw Remus flew across the room. He landed on a table which toppled over and covered him. Harry resisted the urge to run to Remus. He kept his eyes focused on Greyback. He moved slowly to his right to keep an eye on the other man. He saw the man revived his cohorts. Then, he saw one of the men picked up the unconscious Remus and dropped him at Greyback's feet.

Greyback viciously grinned in triumph. "What are you going to do now little pup?" His men had surrounded Harry, pointing their wands at him.

Harry was cursing himself. He forgot to use his wand. And even though he could disapparate, he couldn't leave Remus behind. An idea came to him. He would take Remus when he disapparated. He just had to time it right. He swiftly ran towards Greyback hoping to fake an attack, and then, grabbed Remus.

"Crucio!"

The curse hit Harry in the back. He went down screaming. The pain was nothing like he'd ever felt before. It felt like his whole body was burning and shredding to tiny pieces. His body continued to twitch even when the curse was lifted.

Greyback savagely kicked Remus' body. "Wake him up," he ordered angrily. Remus slowly opened his eyes and saw Harry twitching on the floor. He tried to get up and ran to him, but a wand was thrust in his face.

"I woke you up, so you can see this." Greyback lifted Harry by his cloak collar and held him up facing Remus. Then, suddenly, he viciously bit Harry's neck until it opened a gash and bled freely. Harry screamed in pain. Greyback laughed aloud when he let go, his mouth dripping with warm blood. "Hmmm...delicious," he commented maliciously. He caught some of the dripping blood on his hand and smeared it on Harry's face.

Remus couldn't move in shock. He just watched Greyback violently threw Harry on the floor. He saw Harry struggling to get up and failing. His blood soaked his cloak and slowly pooled on the dirty floor.

"Kill them both," Greyback ordered with an evil smile on his face.

"Nooooo..." Harry shouted desperately. He had managed to get up on his hands and knees. When he looked up, his green eyes were unusually intense...almost feral. Before everyone's horrified eyes, Harry began to transform. Greyback or his men didn't have the presence of mind to kill Harry and thereby stopped the transformation. They were fascinated by what was happening. Everyone saw Harry rapidly transformed into an unusually large grey-white wolf.

The wolf quickly attacked and ripped out the throat of one of Greyback's men. Pandemonium ensued. Everyone was shoving, pulling, and screaming. Everyone wanted to get out of the pub. Remus, as if waking up from a trance, grabbed the dead wizard's wand and stunned the other two. Greyback panicked. He also tried to get out of the pub. He pushed and shoved his way out. Unfortunately for him, the wolf was tracking him.

The wolf jumped on his back and he fell on his face. He sat up and fearfully raised his arms to shield himself from the oncoming attack. The wolf just bit his right arm and tried to tear it off. Greyback managed to stand up and delivered heavy blows on the wolf's wounded side. The wolf let go, but immediately attacked again. It caught him by the throat and he could feel his flesh tear off. The wolf moved away and watched him clutched his bleeding throat. He went down on his knees desperately gasping for air. And then, he finally slumped on the dirty floor, dead. The wolf put its two forepaws on Greyback's dead body and howled in victory.

Remus noticed the bar was almost empty. He cautiously approached the growling wolf. "Harry, it's me, Remus. Don't you recognize my smell?" He held out his right arm. "It's me, Harry. It's Remus." The wolf warily sniffed his hand and sneezed. Remus just smiled. "Come here, boy. We need to get out of here. Come on."

Remus walked towards the door, stopped, and called the wolf again. It hesitantly went to him, stopped, and turned around. It stood near Greyback's head. It raised one of its hind legs and peed on Greyback's dead face. Remus almost laughed out loud when he saw this. When it was finished, it weakly followed Remus outside.

Remus briskly walked towards Hogwarts. When he looked back, he saw the wolf was far behind. The wolf was too stubborn for its own good. Somehow, he had to convince it to let him help. Otherwise, the wolf wouldn't reach Hogwarts alive. He went back and quietly talked to it again. "Harry, you sustained serious injuries. The magical compress I cast wouldn't last long. I will put you to sleep and disillusion you. I don't want you to be seen by anymore people. And then, I will take you to Hogwarts. Do you understand?" The wolf gave a weak whine. Soon, a sleeping and disillusioned wolf was floating and trailing behind Remus as he hurried to Horgwarts.
Sign up to rate and review this story