Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Second Fiddle

Bubble, Bubble

by Crucio_Crusade 3 reviews

Harry Potter is aware of the wizarding world. The only problem is he grew up apart from it. When he explored the magical world, he found danger, wonder, and friendship.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Characters: Harry,Hermione,Neville,Voldemort - Warnings: [!] [V] [?] - Published: 2006-08-13 - Updated: 2007-08-25 - 3118 words

4OOC
Disclaimer: This fan fiction was based on the Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling. I do not claim ownership on any character created by J.K. Rowling, and no money is collected from this story. This is one way I show appreciation to J.K. Rowling's works. Other names or places on this story are fictional. Any similarity to actual name is purely coincidental.




Chapter 10: Bubble, Bubble

"Madam Pomfrey! Madam Pomfrey!" Remus shouted as soon as he entered Hogwarts' hospital wing. He saw the school nurse walked out of her office. "Madam Pomfrey, you have to help Harry. He may be dying."

"Calm down, Mr. Lupin," the school nurse said soothingly. "Now, where is the patient?" Remus canceled the Disillusionment Charm. A sleeping and badly wounded werewolf was revealed lying on the hospital bed.

Madam Pomfrey gave Remus a look of disapproval. "Mr. Lupin, is this some kind of a joke? This is a hospital for people, not animals. I suggest you take him to Hagrid."

"No. No. Harry is human. This is his Animagus form." Remus gave the school nurse a pleading look. "There is no time. You have to heal him."

"Very well... Would you help me force him back to his human form, Mr. Lupin?" Remus nodded. Together, they cast a restoring spell.

When Harry reverted to his human form, Madam Pomfrey saw the extent of his injury. She waved her wand over Harry's body to know his condition. After that, she removed Remus' magical compress and performed a blood-clotting spell. "Mr. Lupin, please remove all his clothes," the school nurse calmly instructed. Then, she hurriedly went to her potions cabinet and quickly selected different vials. When she went back to Harry's bedside, he was stripped down to his boxer. His face, neck, shoulders, and a portion of his chest were covered in blood. She quickly mumbled a sanitation spell. The cleaned neck and shoulder revealed a large gash. His carotid was almost cut.

"Will he be alright, Madam Pomfrey?" Remus asked worriedly.

"He will be fine, Mr. Lupin. I suggest you tell the boy's parents about their son's... accident," Madam Pomfrey said kindly. Remus nodded. With one last look at Harry, he went to Dumbledore's office.


Remus was sitting in Dumbledore's office waiting for the arrival of the Potters. He was regretting taking Harry to Hog's Head. He placed his elbows on his knees and forlornly rested his head on his hands. He was in that position when knocks sounded on the door.

As soon as the Potters entered, they briefly noticed Remus' defeated posture. Then, they turned their attention to the headmaster. "Professor Dumbledore..." James began, looking worried. "We just saw Harry in the hospital wing. What happened to him?"

"I'm afraid it's my fault, James." Remus slowly stood up and remorsefully faced his friends. "I talked Harry into celebrating his birthday. We went to Hog's Head so I can give him his first taste of Firewhisky."

"Remus, how could you?" cried Lily in disbelief. James held her shoulders in case she decided to attack Remus. He had a feeling Remus was downplaying Harry's involvement.

"Lily, let Remus tell us what happened," James said quietly. "Why don't we all sit down and let Remus tell us the rest of the story."

Lily, James, and Remus positioned themselves in a semi-circle facing Dumbledore. Lily and James sat close together. Remus continued retelling his story. "We didn't stay long. We took a couple of drinks and left. On our way out, we had a disagreement with four men. A fight broke out."

"And then, what happened?" James asked urgently when Remus stopped abruptly. It seemed his friend was having trouble telling them what happened.

"James, Lily... Harry was bitten by Fenrir Greyback," Remus said softly. James paled.

Lily looked from one man to the other. She was confused. "Is there something wrong with Harry being bitten by this Greyback fellow?"

"Lily..." James reached for her hands to calm her. He tried to find the right words to say it. "Fenrir Greyback is a werewolf."

Lily sat immobile. "No. No..." Lily turned to Remus, anger blazing in her emerald eyes. "How could you let this happen to my son?"

"Lily, it's not his fault," James protested strongly for his friend. "He didn't start the fight." James turned to Remus for confirmation. Remus just sadly shook his head.

"I am afraid that is not our only problem," Dumbledore interrupted gravely, worry etched on his aged face. Lily and James anxiously waited for the headmaster to continue. "Harry killed Mr. Greyback and one other man."

Lily cried in shock and then fainted. James looked stunned as he tried to support Lily's limp body.


Remus felt bad about what happened to Harry. If only there was a way to show them what actually happened, maybe it would lessen his burden of guilt. "Professor Dumbledore, do you know of anyway I can show them my memory of the whole event? Perhaps, we could find the best way to defend Harry if you all witnessed the fight."

The headmaster looked searchingly at Remus. Then, he stood up and opened one of the cabinets. He brought out a basin made of marble with rune engraved all around its side. He set it on the table. Both Remus and James looked at it with interest. "James, would you please wake up your wife. She may want to know what we are going to do." Lily groggily came to her senses. Then remembering what the headmaster said, she burst into tears. She gripped James cloak as if it was her lifeline. James whispered something to her which calmed her a bit. She embarrassingly wiped her tears and looked apologetically at both Dumbledore and Remus.

Dumbledore inclined his head in acknowledgement. "Now then, this is called a Pensieve. Sometimes, my head gets cluttered with memories. This is where I store them. I do not lose the memories only deadened." He looked at everyone in the room before he continued. "Remus, I want you to remember exactly what happened from the time you entered Hog's Head to the time you left. Tell me if you can clearly see the event in your mind."

Lily, James, and Dumbledore waited for Remus' confirmation. He nodded. "I will now extract the memory." When Dumbledore pulled his wand away from Remus' temple, a string of shimmering silver fluid hanged at the end of it. He gently put it in the Pensieve. "Please, hold each others hand. We are going to see Remus' memories of the event." They plunged inside the Pensieve and saw Harry and Remus talking in front of Hog's Head.


After a while, they came out of the pensieve. There was a relaxed silence. Lily was wiping a telltale sign of her tears. "Remus, will you forgive me? I blame you for something beyond your control."

"There is nothing to forgive, Lily. If we only went straight here, none of those would have happened," Remus replied still feeling guilty.

"Don't be too hard on yourself. Like Lily said 'It was beyond your control'," James said resting a reassuring hand on his friend's shoulder. After a moment, he chuckled. "He has the making of a true marauder, isn't he?"

"You don't know the half of it," Remus replied mysteriously, chuckling as well.

"Oh? Is there something you're not telling us?" James jokingly inquired.

Lily just rolled her eyes at their silly conversation. "Professor Dumbledore, what's going to happen now? It was clear none of it was Harry's fault. He was only defending himself."

"I will present this evidence to Chief Robards and to the Wizengamot. We will formulate our defense if the Ministry decides to prosecute," the headmaster answered calmly.

"Professor, about Harry... Will he turn into a werewolf?" Remus asked anxiously. He knew the hardship and prejudice against werewolves. He didn't want Harry to live his way of life.

Dumbledore was silent for a moment, considering his answer. "I do not believe so, Remus. When Greyback bit Harry, he was not a transformed werewolf. However, I believe he will manifest some werewolf traits."

Lily, James, and Remus had a confused look on their faces. "I don't understand, professor. How can he manifest werewolf traits if he is not a werewolf?" Remus asked.

"By werewolf traits, I mean enhanced eyesights, hearing, and smell. It will probably increase his speed, strength, and stamina. As you have seen, it even triggered his latent animagus ability," Dumbledore explained somberly. "However, as the full moon approaches, he may become easily irritated. He may exhibit bouts of increased temper or violence." Dumbledore sighed sadly. "The best thing to do is tell him everything, so that he may find a way to curtail his animalistic urges."

"Just out of curiosity, professor... what kind of a wolf is he?" James asked with excitement. Lily gave him a look of disapproval.

"I suggest you ask Hagrid that question, James. I believe he may find it really interesting." Dumbledore replied with a smile.


Harry woke up with sunlight streaming through the glass pane window. He looked around and saw rows of beds. He gathered he was in a hospital. He sat up and was about to stand when a door on his right opened. He saw a stern-looking woman in lime green cloak approached him.

"Good morning, Mr. Evans. I am Madam Pomfrey, Hogwarts' school nurse," the woman said kindly. "How are you today?"

"I'm fine, thank you," Harry answered politely. "How long have I been asleep?"

"Not very long, Mr. Evans. You were asleep for only two days," Madam Pomfrey answered distractedly.

Madam Pomfrey raised her wand and cast her diagnostic spell. A small light lit up at the tip of her wand. It changed different color as the school nurse moved it over Harry's body. She stopped when her wand tip reached his injured neck again. "You have a slight fever. It's nothing to be worried about. Your wound will be sensitive for another three days." Harry reached up to scratch it. "Don't scratch it! Here...apply this salve morning and evening. Now, drink this Mr. Evans."

Harry took the proffered vial. He looked at the gunk-like substance. "What is it?" he asked suspiciously.

"That is for your fever," explained the school nurse patiently.

With a grimace on his face, Harry drank it in one go. "Very good, Mr. Evans. Now, stay in your bed. I will inform the headmaster you're awake."

"Excuse me, Madam Pomfrey," Harry called out. The school nurse stopped and faced him. "When can I leave?"

"When I say you can." With that, the school nurse left.


Harry didn't wait long. The door to the hospital wing opened. Remus entered followed by his parents, brother, sister, and probably the oldest man he had ever seen. Remus stood on the right side of his bed. His father, mother, brother, and sister stood on his left. Dumbledore stood at the foot of his bed. Harry felt nervous and angry at same time at seeing his parents. His brother and sister seemed to be uneasy in his presence.

"Hello, Mr. Evans. I am Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts." Dumbledore had twinkles in his eyes and a grandfatherly smile on his lips. "I must say you gave Remus and your parents quite a scare."

Harry glanced at Remus and his parents. "Well, you're not alone. I scared me, too," Harry said with a nervous smile.

"Harry... Remus told us you learned to apparate. Why didn't you do it at the first sign of trouble?" James asked confused.

"Well, would you believe me if I say I forgot," Harry admitted embarrassed.

"You forgot? Harry, you could have been killed," Lily retorted worriedly.

Harry just shrugged. He wasn't really interested in explaining himself to his mother... or his father.

"Harry, you cannot afford to forget to use magic. It could mean the difference between life and death... your life particularly," James admonished firmly.

"Well, excuse me for doing things the muggle way. It was the only way I know for almost sixteen years." Harry glared angrily at his parents. How dare they reprimand him when they had no right.

Uneasy silence descended inside the hospital wing.

"Look, I'm sorry I snapped at you. I'm still recovering from my injury so it made me a little bit crabby. Could we just forget the whole thing?" Harry offered a laurel as a gesture of peace. It wouldn't do to argue with his parents in front of his brother and sister. They were innocent bystanders.

"Okay, there's no sense really arguing over something that already happened," James agreed uneasily.

"So, what happens now? Am I going to prison?" Harry asked anxiously, remembering what he did to the two dead men.

All the adults shifted uneasily. "The incident is still under investigation. However, we are confident it would be resolved in our favor," Dumbledore said calmly. "By the way, Mr. Evans, I talked to Professor Minerva McGonagall and asked her if she could help you with your Animagus training. She agreed. She would see you during your lessons at Grimmauld Place."

"Ani...magus? That's what I did?" Harry looked confused.

"That's what you are. Wizard or witch who could turn themselves into animals is called Animagus," Remus explained easily. "You are not alone. Your father and Si..." Remus caught himself before he could say more. "...I mean there are other registered Animagus."

Good recovery Harry thought, but didn't pursue the matter. Instead, he asked, "Registered? As in, I have to apply for a license." Did this mean everyone would know he could turn into a wolf? Then, he scolded himself. Everyone knew already.

"No license. Your name and form would be added to the list of Animagi. If anything happens which involved wolves, the Ministry would know who to investigate first." Remus smiled at Harry's disappointed face.

"That's no fun," Harry muttered unhappily.

"Speaking of license... You have to get one before you can apparate..." James said with a serious face. Harry turned a surprise look in his direction. "...But not until your seventeenth birthday," he added, grinning broadly. "Until that time, you have to keep it a secret." His mother glared at his father but didn't say anything.

Dumbledore left for a meeting with the minister about the Hog's Head killing as it was called by the media. He might not show it, but privately, he was worried. The Daily Prophet sensationalized the story because it involved a son of a well-known auror. British wizarding community now knew Harry Evans was not a squib as it was first believed. In spite of Greyback being culpable, some of his friends demanded that Harry be given the Kiss. Knowing how fickle the general views of most witches and wizards, Dumbledore hoped Mr. Evans had the fortitude to weather this storm.

Remus watched as Harry tried to open a conversation with his brother and sister. But it seemed the news of the Hog's Head killing made them uncommunicative. James and Lily's behaviors didn't help either. They acted like they were walking on eggs. Like the last time, the task to tell Harry about the aftermath of the unpleasant incident at Hog's Head, fell on him. When James and Lily noticed the meeting was becoming uncomfortable for everyone, they decided to say their goodbyes.

"Well pup, you have another day to play hooky. Enjoy it while you can. I'm sure Hermione will put you through the grinder once you get back," Remus smiled teasingly. "We'll explore the castle when I come back for you tomorrow."


Bored out of his mind, Harry stood up and shed his hospital gown. He slowly put on his muggle clothes and shoes, wincing once in a while. He tucked his wand in his pants' back pocket. It was not his intention to leave the hospital wing. He just wanted to walk around and stretched his sore muscles. His feet ultimately led him to the door. He looked at Madam Pomfrey's office. He deliberated whether to explore or stay. His curiosity won.

He was lost. He was awestricken by the magnificence of the castle that he forgot to pay attention to where he was going. He tried hallways after hallways but it branched off to other hallways. He was beginning to feel jumpy. He heard a loud crash just around the corner. He nervously decided to investigate. He saw a white figure just down the hallway. He sighed in relief. He found someone to ask for direction. As he approached, he noticed the figure was a little transparent and floating off the ground, too. He started to back away.

"What do we have here? A student is sneaking around Hogwarts?" The ghost floated nearer. "Ohhh, Filch will surely have your hide for this."

Harry was about to object when he realized this could be his way out. "Go ahead. Call this Filch. I'm not afraid of him."

"Not afraid of old Filchie, are you?" The ghost smiled mischievously, giving him a long scrutiny. "Then, I shan't call him." With that, the ghost turned around and floated away.

"Hey wait! I need to ask you something." Harry ran after the ghost, shouting.

Harry slid down to the floor panting heavily when he stopped chasing the ghost. He watched it give him a mischievous smile and disappeared through the wall, cackling madly. He had a feeling the ghost was just toying with him. After resting a little bit, he achingly helped himself up with the aid of a door handle. He almost fell down when it slid open.

Harry found himself looking at what seemed to be a small office or study room. In front of him were two small and narrow windows with a view of the lake. Bookshelves and cabinets lined the walls on his left and right side. Odd looking decorations hanged from the ceiling, especially the manacles. A medium-sized mahogany table and a leather backed chair were situated in the center of the room. The room itself was full of clutter. He strolled around the room stopping once in a while to closely examine an object or read a title of a book.

One book caught his attention. It's entitled Simple but effective pranks by J.O. Kersopp. When Harry opened the book, the pages were full of notations. Whoever read this book added his ideas or improved every simple ones. Harry could barely contain his excitement. This book would surely put him on par with the twins. But, he would need help. And he knew the right person who could help him. Harry was busy writing down prank notes when Remus found him later on that day.
Sign up to rate and review this story