Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > The Last Avatar: Kuzo

Chapter 1: Great Uncle Iroh

by NezzSan 0 reviews

Old Uncle Iroh gets a visit from a young Avatar

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: G - Genres: Drama,Fantasy - Published: 2014-12-13 - 1150 words

0Unrated


Chapter 1: Great Uncle Iroh



(20 years after the events of Sozin's Comet...)



An ancient Iroh sits in an expansive garden as he drinks his tea. The taste fills him with a great sense of nostalgia and relief. It had been twenty years since he had his last cup. He takes a look around the large garden, and then glances at the compact but humble house he now lives in. Asense of paranoia seeps in.

For the last couple of decades, he'd spent his time in aspecialized prison. There was a twenty four hour watch by five elite guards. He also had restraints on his legs and arms, freed one arm only when it was time to eat. Phoenix King Ozai made sure to leave nothing to chance considering he had broken out of prison before. And there Iroh stayed for twenty long years.

Only three days ago he was suddenly transferred to this new house with a garden. He could only speculate as to why he would suddenly receive such good treatment.

"Maybe they know I am too old to escape already", he chuckled to himself.

Although he lives in the house, it is without a doubt aprison. The complex is surrounded by tall walls and four guards are stationed at the only entrance. Iroh was still very much a prisoner.

One of the guards approaches.

"Fire Lord Azula has arrived."(Guard)

The guard leaves and the two figures that followed him, move towards Iroh. Initially, he stares daggers at Azula before his expression instantly softens. His eyes fall on a young boy who stands beside her.

For a moment, Iroh thought the boy was Zuko, but quickly realizes his mistake. The child had short messy hair, a strangely fit body for his age, and piercing eyes. His demeanor expressed defiance, aggression, and adomineering presence. Iroh could not help but think he was a very Azula-like child.

Azula bows in front of him and the boy follows suit.

"Greetings Uncle. It has been far too long." (Azula)

Iroh says nothing while Azula raises her head and continues.

"This is Kuzo, my son. It is my wish that you take him as your student."(Azula)

"Mother! You can't be serious!" Kuzo interrupts.

Azula gives him a sharp cold look that quiets him.

"Uncle, as you may have already guessed, I am the one responsible for your transfer. Father will know nothing about it, of course. Iwill be bringing Kuzo at least six days a week to receive your teachings. I do not want him learning from the Empire. I believe you can understand why." Azula bites her lip before continuing. "I want you to teach him like you taught Zuko..."

Kuzo was about to protest again, but stopped at the sight of his mother bowing deeply in request. Iroh observed Azula and then moved his sight to Kuzo. The child felt a chill run down his spine from his Great Uncle's measuring eyes. Kuzo looked at his mother and she stared back at him from aside glance. He hesitatingly followed suit and bowed deeply as well.

Moments of silence passed while their heads were bowed. Through the quiet they heard the gentle pouring of tea. They both raised their heads and saw that Iroh was pouring them both a cup.

"I must hear the whole story before I am going to be teaching anyone," Iroh says in a patient voice. "But first..."

Iroh places the two cups in front of Azula and Kuzo.

"I want to congratulate you on the birth of your son. Hehe,"he chuckles as his mouth cracks into a smile.

For a second, Azula is dumbstruck. She regains her composure before taking her cup. She then looks down to the son by her side and smiles sadly.




They leave Kuzo by himself to play around in the garden, although what he really does is practice his Fire bending forms. Azula and Iroh look at him from a window in the house.

"I feel a great change in you, Azula," Iroh says. "The guilt, it seems, has finally caught up to you."

Azula nods. Iroh strokes his beard before continuing.

"Tell me what has happened after Sozin's Comet."(Iroh)

Azula begins recounting the events that occurred during Iroh's incarceration. Avatar Aang's defeat, imprisonment of Katara after the Last Agni Kai, the siege of the Northern Water tribe and the killing of the Water Bender Avatar, the quelling of the Earth Kingdom Rebellion and the death of the Earth Bender Avatar, and the birth of Kuzo. She shares her suspicions regarding Kuzo's destiny. Azula also briefly explains the guilt she has been through and the context of her actions.

The whole time Iroh has his eyes closed in concentration. Absorbing the vast world changing events, he patiently collects his thoughts before speaking again.

"It is possible that it is just coincidence about his birth. Regardless, I understand why you brought the boy to me... I will guide him."(Iroh)

"Thank you, Uncle."(Azula)

Iroh takes a sip of his tea contemplatively before speaking again. The voice he uses is much darker and possesses a subtle fury.

"I hope you know, I have not forgiven you for what you have wrought, Azula." (Iroh)

"And neither will the world, or myself, Uncle. I don't need to be. As long as Kuzo gets what he needs, I'll bear anything."(Azula)

"... I see"(Iroh)

A silence falls before Azula clears her throat.

Ahem "I am grateful for the airs you put up in front of him before."(Azula)

"I did not fake my delight in seeing the boy. Your wrongs are not his. It is something joyful to see my great nephew."(Iroh)

They both watch Kuzo going through his stances. He pauses and glances over to them. Iroh gives a wave at him. Kuzo quickly looks away as he shoots blue fire out of his hands, singeing the grass below.

"Haha! Although he does not seem too happy by the thought of being taught by me."(Iroh)

"He will learn," Azula responds willfully.

Iroh assumes a warning tone.

"The boy has tenacity. It is obvious he is on the path to be like you, or at least who you used to be."(Iroh)

"That is why it is on you to make sure he does not."(Azula)

"If your assumptions are correct, and he is the Avatar, I can't imagine him being one that advocates peace and pacifism like the ones before him."(Iroh)

"Of course not...

He will be a /strong /one. A hard Avatar that will right the wrongs of this world. We've seen what happens when a /soft/Avatar tries to change the world. He will be unlike any of the ones that came before him. Different. I don't know what path he will take or what he will become, but I trust he will do what they could not."

Sign up to rate and review this story