Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > The Last Avatar: Kuzo

Chapter 7: Azula and the Avatar’s New Year

by NezzSan 0 reviews

Azula, Kuzo, Iroh, Ty Lee, and Mei celebrate New Years and begin their escape from the Capital. It's the beginning of the end as the arc heads towards its conclusion. Prelude to the Fall of...

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: G - Genres: Drama,Fantasy - Published: 2015-01-04 - 2316 words

0Unrated


Chapter 7: Azula and the Avatar's New Year



(One night after Chapter 6. Kuzo, Azula, Ty Lee, Mei, and Iroh, celebrate New Year's in Iroh's garden)



They brought out a long table into the large garden, so that they would be able to watch the fireworks whenever they started. The best dishes the royal family cooks had to offer, were prepared in bulk for the dinner. Food filled every inch of the wooden surface, and threatened to break the table under all the weight. Lan had several large barrels of carrots and other vegetables all to herself.

"It is very heartening to see you two again."(Iroh)

"The feeling's mutual."(Ty Lee)

Mei smiles and nods.

Azula eats her food silently.

Kuzo looks at Mei and Ty Lee with a curious expression.

"So this is the team with which we are to travel with, is it?"(Kuzo)

Everyone becomes completely silent as they stare at Kuzo.

"Hm? Am I mistaken?"(Kuzo)

"You are not. Now quietly eat your food, Kuzo."(Azula)

"Uh...huh... Yes, mother."(Kuzo)

"There's no need to be so stiff, Azula. We are /celebrating/, after all," Iroh interjects lightheartedly. "I think this would be a good time to taste an aged wine I have been saving."

Iroh brought out a ceramic bottle as large as a forearm.

"Yay~"(Ty Lee)

"Uncle! Do you forget that we must escape soon? We are to leave under the cover of all the celebrations!"(Kuzo)

"Hm? Did you not tell him?"(Iroh)

"The plan is reset for after midnight. I thought it better to escape when the celebrations are over, when everyone is asleep."(Azula)

"I see... but still-"(Kuzo)

"Hahaha! Just relax. Let the adults have their fill. And also for tonight, please be the young boy we all know you to be, nephew. Who knows, after tomorrow, there may be no other chance," said Iroh as he opened the wine.

"Yeah, lighten up, Kuzo!" Ty Lee says as she has her cup being filled.

"But-"(Kuzo)

A hand lightly pats his shoulder. Kuzo turns to see that it is Mei.

"Ty Lee used to be in the circus. Her performances aren't... /completely/boring."(Mei)

"Oh! Great idea! Do you wanna throw in some knife action too?"(Ty Lee)

Mei cracks an almost unseeable smile and stands up.

Before they begin their performance, they take some long sips of wine. Iroh also follows suit and takes out a tsungi horn, among other instruments. Apparently, he was going to provide background music.

On a night that they were supposed to be preparing to flee for their lives, the four eldest members held the same thought.

It really is just like old times.

And for that one night, the past ceased to matter, the future seemed unimportant, and some painful things were forgotten. If even for a little bit.

Ty Lee flipped and twirled through the air with all the grace of a bird. She balanced on a makeshift tight rope and started showing off her whole gymnastics repertoire. After that, she kicked and tossed some plates into the air. Mei shattered them one by one with various projectiles. Then two, three, up to eight at a time. Despite the numerous dishes being destroyed, no one seemed to care. It might have been the influence of alcohol.

Kuzo observed their movements with marvel. He knew they had been former comrades of his mother, but had hardly expected them to have such skill. He was especially surprised with Ty Lee, who had deceptive strength and speed, considering her aloof personality.

Iroh played loudly and sung with a deep resonant voice. He was a one man band, and he did it well. Kuzo could not help but tap his foot to the beat.

Little by little, he stopped trying to learn Mei and Ty Lee's movements and felt himself being entertained. Feeling a growing childlike giddiness inside, Kuzo began...

"Enjoying yourself?"(Azula)

"Yes! I mean... no?"(Kuzo)

Azula smiled.

"It's fine."(Azula)

She turned her attention back to the performance, leaving Kuzo in complete shock. He could not remember the last time his mother had smiled.

His mind trailed back to memories before he was discovered to be the Avatar. A parent reading her son stories by candle light.

"Before I forget. Here. I had it made for you as soon as possible."(Azula)

Azula produced some folded black clothes tinged ever so slightly in red. The performers had stopped and gathered around the mother and son. Kuzo quickly dawned the clothing and attached the respective onyx armor.

It was a variation of Azula's battle suit. Kuzo's included abit more armor to the limbs, and a thicker cloth. It was an improved version.

Ty Lee, Mei, and Iroh looked at him very curiously for awhile. They each wore a look that seemed conflicted. All three with a hand cupping their chin. A long awkward silence passed before someone decided to say something.

"He is supposed to be the Avatar, right?"(Mei)

"Kuzo looks like a villain, or a ninja, or a dragon emperor."(Ty Lee)

"Although far from heroic looking...You cannot deny that it... suits him perfectly."(Iroh)

Lan comes over and sniffs in approval.

Azula chuckles lightly.

Everyone froze in shock and turned their attention towards her.

How much did she have to drink?

Is what they all thought, but they saw that she hadn't drunk any of the wine.

"The design seemed to fit well, and I thought you would /especially/like it."(Azula)

Kuzo nodded happily.

He wasn't sure if it was on purpose, but Azula had confirmed it. Kuzo's favorite childhood story had a hero that wore armor similar to this. He had asked Azula to read that particular tale, countless times. Kuzo pictured his mother's smile at those moments. Happy but also sad. A warmth that had vanished without any trace... that was until tonight.

"We should break it in then. You should get used to it as soon as possible."(Azula)

"Yes, mother!... Wait, what?"(Kuzo)

Azula quickly wore her own battle suit and walked toward aclearing.

"Come, Kuzo. Show me the results of your training."(Azula)

Kuzo had never sparred with Azula before. He had asked his mother countless times, but she had always refused. One particular bad memory was when he badgered her so much, she had slapped him across the room. A nine year old child was left with a bloody mouth back then.

Kuzo ran excitedly to a position across Azula. They both faced each other and took up their respective stances. Kuzo could not help but brim with joy, while Azula smiled fondly.

A tear may have streaked down her cheek, but if it did, it quickly evaporated in the fire bending that was conjured.

Iroh and Ty Lee began cheering as fireworks exploded and dotted the night sky.


______________________



(After the spar)



Azula pulls Ty Lee aside and hands her an envelope.

"Take this letter. Do not open it until Kuzo is out of the Capital."(Azula)

"Understood."(Ty Lee)

Ty Lee slipped the envelop into her hidden pocket. She breathed a heavy sigh as she took on the heavy responsibility.

"... Thank you, Ty Lee. For putting on airs in front of Kuzo and for everything to come."(Azula)

"I wasn't really. Despite being a bit weird and overly serious, I can tell he's a good kid.... A good Avatar on the other hand... Well, that remains to be seen. Also this plan you, Iroh, and Kuzo have put together... I can't say I approve." (Ty Lee)

"It has to be done. We need him to be an Avatar unlike any before him. To give him the tools he needs and lay down the ground work for his success."(Azula)

"Yeah... I get that... It's just..." Ty Lee looks at Kuzo in the distance, while he is being taught to throw knives by Mei. "... He shouldn't have to bear the whole world on his shoulders. He looks and acts strong, but he's still just a kid."

"It's not an act. He is strong... or at least he /will/be."(Azula)

"I can't imagine what kind of Avatar he'll become."(Ty Lee)

"Neither can I... But I trust him."(Azula)

"I will too. Not like there's any other choice."(Ty Lee)

They both quietly watch Kuzo throw knives at a test dummy. With each throw, he became increasingly more accurate; his motions, more fluid and crisp. Even Mei widened her eyes slightly in surprise.

"Azula. I need to get something off my chest before the night is over."(Ty Lee)

"... I understand. Speak freely."(Azula)

"... I'll never forgive you for what you've done."(Ty Lee)

"That's pretty bad coming from you."(Azula)

"Yeah, maybe. But I know everything... all of this is bigger than any grudge," Ty Lee says as she looks down in thought.
Sign up to rate and review this story