Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > The Last Avatar: Kuzo

Chapter 8: The Fall of…

by NezzSan 0 reviews

Azula, Ty Lee, Iroh, and Kuzo must escape an army of Yuyan Archers and Lightning Benders.

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Fantasy - Published: 2015-01-05 - 3406 words

0Unrated


Chapter 8: The Fall of...



(Shortly after Chapter 7. In Baro's Zen Garden)



The Shogun eyes his guest with surprise and curiousity. Mei stands between Raina and the Lightning Count's Third in Command, Zan. They both keep her in check, making sure she doesn't make any sudden movements.

"So you're telling me that Azula plans to take Kuzo to Phoenix Landing?"(Baro)

"Yes. I'm sure you know why."(Mei)

So Ozai is making his move...

Baro turns to Raina.

"What is Touma's status?"(Baro)

"The Second in Command has arrived at Iroh's supposed prison. Based on his observation reports, it seems everything she's said is true. Touma is now awaiting further orders."(Raina)

"... Zan."(Baro)

The Shogun addresses the large statured Third Commander. He possessed a clean face and a bald head. Most notably, he had a very prominent looking jaw that looked to be made of stone, which gave him an eternally stern appearance.

"Meet up with Touma and begin operations."(Baro)

"Shogun? But I-"(Raina)

"Need to stay here. My spies have informed me a group of Yuyan Archers have arrived in the capital. It wouldn't be a far reach to expect an assassination attempt on my life. More like, Ozai would be left with no other choice but to do so in order to prevent Civil War from breaking out. After tonight, we'll have to increase defenses at our ports. Ozai won't get another chance like this."(Baro)

Damn... War is upon us. I was hoping to increase my forces further but it looks like I no longer have the leisure.

"And you..." Baro said as he turned his attention back to Mei."What do you hope to gain from doing this? Revenge?"

"Yes. That and hopefully I've done a service that grants me my freedom."(Mei)

"Ah... you want your house arrest to be lifted. And what would you do afterwards, if I were to grant this?"(Baro)

"If you are asking me if I would consider working for you, Iwould humbly accept your offer."(Mei)

"That was rather easy. How do I know I can trust you?"(Baro)

"You know my history, you know what Azula's family has done to mine. Ozai shamed our family and demoted our noble status. I wish to improve it again. I believe you can do that."(Mei)

"....Hmmmm" (Baro)

The gears in the Shogun's brain whirred rapidly, coming up with schemes like they always did. Weighing the pros and cons, predicting the motives, actions, measures, and countermeasures.

"Very well. However, do not make the mistake of thinking you are completely trusted. We will be keeping a close eye on you and the moment you are judged to be ineffective, you will be demoted and imprisoned immediately."(Baro)

Mei stared in silence for a few moments and then bowed deeply.

"All hail Shogun Baro," Mei voiced clearly and emotionlessly.



___________________



Yuyan Archers looked down on a corpse riddled with arrows. The informer had already released a messenger hawk by the time they got to him. The message most likely notified the Shogun of the Yuyan's presence.

The leader of the operation contemplated his next move quickly. Primary objective was securing Kuzo. Second was the assassination of Baro. The Shogun's security detail would have increased by the time they got to him if they went by the order of priorities. Time was of the essence. If they attacked Baro immediately, they would have a greater chance of succeeding in the assassination, while defenses were still being prepared.

On the other hand, they were informed that Azula was ordered to bring Kuzo to Phoenix Landing and expected her cooperation. They had brought more Yuyan Archers than necessary for a secure escort, just to be on the safe side. Now it seemed more prudent to devote more manpower towards the assassination attempt, rather than the escort. Little did they know that Azula and Kuzo had no intentions of going with them willingly. Had they known that one fact, their plans would have been very different.

So it was decided to send most of the Yuyan forces to assassinate Baro, while a smaller force would go to securing Kuzo.



_____________________________



An oversight...

A misstep...

Azula quietly badgered herself at the dire situation they were in. She peeked outside the window of Iroh's house and saw the chaos ensuing outside.

Yuyan Archers were moving through the shadowy forests on one side of the trail, firing arrows across the landscape. On the opposing side, lightning bolts would stab across in retaliation.

It all started with the approach of a Yuyan Archer, who had tracked their whereabouts. Azula had not expected her father to take such early measures for securing Kuzo. The spy was shocked to see Iroh and Ty Lee moving so freely, and in contact with the royal family. He knew something was wrong immediately.

It didn't take long before the Yuyan squadrons decided to take Kuzo by force. In the ensuing battle, a worst case scenario had developed. While protecting Kuzo, Lan had been pierced by a tranquilizer arrow. She was the main component to their escape. Without the Subun, the chances of success dropped to zero.

They quickly brought Lan inside the house to begin treatment. Luckily enough, the Lightning Count and Capital Army forces they were expecting Baro to send, had shown up and engaged the Yuyan. The two forces then began a fierce battle, but how much time that bought Azula's party was anyone's guess.

Ty Lee, who had mastered acupuncture treatment, was in charge of restoring Lan's health. Iroh who had a stash of medicinal herbs, also assisted. Azula and Kuzo were left in charge of safeguarding the entrances out front. Every once in a while, a Capital soldier tried to force their way in, but were quickly overwhelmed by Azula and the Avatar.

Kuzo observed the tide of battle with practiced eye. If any force looked like it was gaining the advantage over the other, he would try to rebalance the fight and assist the weakening side. Azula and he would send lightning bolts, or Kuzo would launch some well-placed boulders into the winning enemy's population. All to prolong the fight as long as possible.

"Mother, I believe we should mount an offense. With the two of us, we should be able to snatch victory from this situation."(Kuzo)

"You are over estimating us, Kuzo. The Capital forces and Lightning Count are endlessly replenishing their numbers. There's no /defeating/them. We can only make sure that the Yuyan don't get overrun, while fending off their advances as well."(Azula)

"... I disagree. With our combined forces-"(Kuzo)

"Your mother isn't all powerful, Kuzo. As much as you would wish it. And while your strength is reliable, your training is incomplete. We cannot combat both forces on an equal plain."(Azula)

"... Acknowledged..."(Kuzo)

"Kuzo! On your two(o'clock), hit that group hard!"(Azula)

Kuzo moved into an empty space and stomped the ground with the force of an anvil. A large boulder flew up, as if answering his summons, and hovered momentarily in front of him. He planted his feet and thrust a palm at the gigantic rock, shattering it into a swarm of jagged earthen daggers. Kuzo then threw a kick that bent the air and launched the ordinance with high velocity at the intended grouping of enemies. Then a second kick was delivered creating a great wave of fire that enveloped the earthen missiles, giving them a hell-like appearance.

The group of Lightning Count Soldiers were laid waste by the apocalyptic meteor storm that rained down upon them. The fiery hail burned and cut deep into their bodies. No measure of cover or armor could protect them. All that were caught in the onslaught were rendered unfit to continue fighting, and in one fell swoop, a whole squadron had been decimated. As violent and dangerous as it was, there were no fatalities among the defeated.

Kuzo exhaled heavily at the end of the combo and felt his stamina drop a good portion. His eyes turned to Azula who nodded smilingly. Anonverbal sign of approval and pride.

"Ty Lee, what's the status on Lan?" Azula spoke into the house behind them.

Ty Lee's voice answered back.

"She'll be up and moving soon, but not anywhere near full strength. Should be barely enough to escape though. Even at half speed, Lan can outstrip any vehicle or Fire Empire soldier, that is in a straight line. Tight turns and dodging are impossible, unfortunately."(Ty Lee)

"Understood. Kuzo and I will keep-"(Azula)

"Cover!"(Kuzo)

Azula instinctively dove into the house.

Kuzo pierced both his hands into the ground and pulled up atwo story tall sedimentary wall. Barely making it in time, it shielded Azula and the house from an array of lightning bolts and plumes of fire. The attacking force hit like a giant knocking on their door. The titanic shield crumbled away at the overwhelming artillery.

A large formation made up of Fire Capital soldiers and Lightning Count had appeared. It was a decisive push for the house. A move that put Azula's group in check.

Kuzo swiftly created another wall to defend against the next wave of attacks. Like before, it had fulfilled its purpose in taking the hit, but had quickly fallen apart again. Meanwhile, the formation continued to advance.

The Yuyan Archers attempted to attack the closing force as well, but their already few numbers had dwindled further since the battle started. They were being easily fended off by a separate force of Capital Soldiers.

"Azula and I will break the siege! Kuzo, continue defending Lan and Ty Lee!"(Iroh)

The next wave of attacks fell on another earthen shield. Once the wall had crumbled, Azula and Iroh leapt in front of the advancing formation.

With a depleting stamina, Kuzo once again raised a defensive shield to protect the house.

Iroh and Azula stood before the approaching force undaunted.

"Do you remember why they called me the Dragon of the West?"(Iroh)

Azula nodded in acknowledgment and they both inhaled slowly and deeply. Beside each other, the two moved in complete sync as they made their preparatory motions. Their shoulders, which had built up tension, relaxed and dropped. Facing towards their opponents, they felt a great force well up from their bellies.

Fire spewed out from the two's mouths like water breaking from a dam. Blue and red colored flames mixed and created a conflagrating torrent that flew towards the enemy formation.

Many had been consumed by attack, and the siege was broken. But it was a momentary victory. The Capital army was already showing signs of reorganization. The duo had bought more time, but not much.

Azula had spent her last remaining Qi and retreated into the house to recover. The elder Iroh was left to hold down the front.

"How is Lan?"(Azula)

The Subun was on all four, her previously ragged breathing had abated somewhat. She blinked at Ty Lee and Azula as if to say,

"She's as good as she'll ever be."(Ty Lee)

"Right then.... Ty Lee. You know, what comes next."(Azula)

"..." (Ty Lee)

A tear streaks down her cheek, but she quickly wipes it away.

Ty Lee gives a fierce nod and the three make their way to Kuzo.

"Finally! We must make haste! I don't know how long Uncle can-"(Kuzo)

And then the whole world seemed to move uncomfortably slow.

THUCK

A Yuyan arrow pierces Iroh in the center of his chest.

He staggers back.

THUCK

Another arrow stabs into his lung.

THUCK

High on his chest.

THUCK

Into his heart.

Iroh falls onto one knee.

"UNCLEEEEEEEE!!!!"(Kuzo)

Kuzo and Azula bend lightning towards the Yuyan forces, but they were dodged. The archers notch more arrows, and begin their pull.

"RRRAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!" Iroh roars as he forces himself painfully to his feet.

The arrows that had pierced him catch fire from the flames welling up inside his body. A heavy hand is lifted and brought down on the puncturing projectiles, shattering them into scattering embers.

A dragon's dying breath is released on the Yuyan Archers, and the forest they were hiding in burns.

"UNCLEEEE!!!!"(Kuzo)

Iroh turns back to look at Kuzo and gives him a warm smile.

Kuzo shakes his head violently.

"No... NOOOO!!!!"(Kuzo)

Iroh turns back towards the reforming Capital Soldiers and inhales. Shortly after, another storm of fire is exhaled and bores down on its pitiful victims. This would be Iroh's last stand...

"Do not look away, Kuzo. Burn all of this into your memory forever."(Azula)

Kuzo's teeth grind, his body trembles uncontrollably, but his eyes lock, wide as he can open them. He watches as Iroh draws his final breath and exhales a small puff of fire.

The elder moves no more and stands still. Dead on his feet.

All is silent, and for what seemed like a passing eternity, was in reality only a split second.

"MOVE!"(Azula)

Azula shakes everyone out of their stupor. As Kuzo jumps on Lan and settles into a seat, something odd happens. He felt jabs hitting along his back and shoulders.

What?

Kuzo loses control of his body as he falls completely onto Lan's back.

"Their trump cards are here. Make use of the opening and go,"Azula orders Ty Lee.

"Azula..."(Ty Lee)

Azula raises an eyebrow.

"I forgive you."(Ty Lee)

A short pause and Azula nods. They both hug quickly. She goes to Kuzo and gives him a kiss on his forehead.

"Good bye, Kuzo. I will always love you."(Azula)

Mother? What-

Ty Lee jumps on Lan and holds on to Kuzo.

"Lan! Go!"(Ty Lee)

The Subun hesitates and eyes Azula.

Azula pats her as if to say, "Please take care of my son".

Lan finally bolts forward while Ty Lee holds on to her and Kuzo for dear life.

As they are building up speed, a large lightning bolt shoots their way.

Before it makes contact with the escaping party, a body moves in front and takes the hit. Azula's body convulses as she haphazardly redirects the lightning up, narrowly escaping death.

So this is what Zuko felt.

Azula hit the ground hard and rolled to her feet sloppily. She looked up and saw the trump cards of the Lightning Count; the culprits behind the fired lightning bolt.

Touma and Zan. Respectively Second and Third in Command of the Lightning Count. There was no way past them but through them.

"Once I've stopped their movement, escape!" Azula yelled as she charged at the pair.

Touma and Zan moved like a well-oiled machine. They split to dodge an attack from Azula, and then crisscrossed together to launch a combined counter attack. Their movements were so well coordinated, that they were extremely difficult to follow with the naked eye, much less deal with by asingle opponent.

But Azula provided equal challenge. Elusive and deadly, she ducked and swerved past their lightning attacks, bringing the fight to close range.
Sign up to rate and review this story