Categories > Cartoons > M.A.S.K. > First Impressions

The Cowboy Way

by Clutch 0 reviews

You never get a second chance to make a first impression, and for Matt Trakker, those first impressions are going to be vital if he's going to form MASK!

Category: M.A.S.K. - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure - Published: 2006-08-14 - Updated: 2006-08-14 - 522 words

1Original
Disclaimer: All characters belong to Kenner and a bunch of animation studios. All I own is the situation, plot and backstory.

Author Note: First Impressions is a collection of one-shot vignettes which fit into my MASK universe at various different points. Each installment is a complete story. Each installment will say where, in the universe, it fits.

Story Note: This is a one-shot vignette which fits into my MASK universe between the end of The Coming Storm and before What it Takes.

With many thanks to Jonath, Ganeris, Beth and Nessa for editing, feedback and patient hand holding.


The Cowboy Way

Matt leaned on the fence and watched the brown-haired man in the ring as he put the horse through its paces. Somehow, this hadn't been what he'd been expecting when Duane had said he'd found a possible test driver for MASK.

"He's living in Texas right now," Duane had said, "but he's taking a sabbatical. He's just finished working on several big Hollywood pictures as a stunt driver. You name it, he can drive it."

On the back of that description, Matt had flown down the Huston and driven out to the ranch Duane had named to meet the guy for himself, assuming that the guy was the ranch owner. What he hadn't expected was for him to be working as a ranch hand, and he certainly hadn't expected him to be as young as this.

At this point in Matt's thoughts, the man saw him and smiled. "Howdy!" he called, immediately revealing that he was a native Texan. "Be with you in two shakes."

Matt smiled and started round the ring to where the man was now removing the horse's tack, training clearly finished. "You ride?"

"Well sure," the man answered, grinning. "I grew up here'n the horses seemed to like me." He wiped a hand on his thigh, then offered it to Matt. "Dusty Hayes at your service."

Matt shook the proffered hand. "Matt Trakker."

"Pa said someone was coming down to see me today." Dusty turned back to the horse and continued working. "I figured it was someone from Parafilm, but you ain't anyone I've ever seen from them."

"I'm not," Matt agreed.

Dusty glanced over his shoulder. "Good. Saves me needing to kick your butt all the way back to Hollywood."

Matt smiled. "I'm not a film producer at all."

"Good." Dusty turned back to the horse. "So what can I do for ya?"

"I've heard you're quite the driver," said Matt.

"Thought you said you weren't from Hollywood."

"I'm not," said Matt. "And there's more to driving than film stunts."

Dusty laughed. "Ya got me there." He finished what he was doing and started to lead the horse towards the stable yard. "So you want a driver."

"I do," said Matt, following Dusty into the yard. "Someone who knows how to put something to the test and not afraid to push it to its limits."

"Sounds kinda neat." Dusty started to brush down the horse. "But I'm guessin' that you ain't meaning something I can do here."

"No, there would be a relocation involved," Matt agreed.
Sign up to rate and review this story