Categories > Games > Fable > Adalia The Daughter of the shadow hero

the scholars

by JadeInkwell 0 reviews

Adalia grew up knowing her father, but never meeting him. She wants to prove herself before telling him though, so he can't reject the idea. She must face living with a shadow itself. She falls for...

Category: Fable - Rating: G - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2015-06-06 - 1468 words - Complete

0Unrated
I woke up in a super soft bed, my hair had been plaited but little bits stuck out. I yawned, it took me a moment to remember what had occurred in the many hours prior to now. I had been stuck in the party, people kept coming to shake my hand, or to question me. I gazed lazily around my room, before getting up and going to the wardrobe. There was no trousers, but a large variety of different dresses. I picked out a long dark green dress, and changed into it. Then, I headed down for breakfast. The maids and other servants baid me good morning, as I passed.

" Good morning, Adalia " Reaver smiled

" Morning " I yawned as I sat down at the table, before taking a slice of toast.

" I have been wondering about your education, have you had any at all? " Reaver asked

" No, mom told me that having an education doesn't mean anything. All I would learn would be useless. " I took a bite after coating the toast in jam.

" Oh, well, I hope you don't mind, but the Queen has given you permission to join Andrew in his classes. " Reaver told me, I just nodded silently. " After breakfast, we will head to the castle "

" okay, dad" I agreed quietly. Reaver smiled slightly at the term.

After breakfast, we headed to the castle. I watched the scenery change as the carriage rattled over cobbled streets. I had never been to a city before, I had been born and raised in the village of Oakfield. The carriage stopped outside a giant castle, I had never see a castle before. I gazed at the building in awe.

" Come along Adalia " Reaver smiled, I followed him into the castle, the queen smiled as we approach her.

" I am glad to see you have made it. The scholar is with Andrew in the library, follow me " the queen took me to the library, then went to talk to Reaver in the throne room.

I opened the door and entered the library, it was huge. I looked around in wonder.

" Miss Adalia, I presume? " An old man asked, I saw Andrew sitting at a table.

" Yes..." I nodded shyly

"Please sit, I have just finished on the history of the heroes guild. " The man smiled

"Ok" I sat down two seats away from Andrew. The scholar gave me a quill and some paper.

" Right, write the title 'Skill' " the scholar instructed, Andrew began to write. I stared blankly at the quill, the scholar coughed" is there a problem? "

"I don't know how to write..." I admitted

" You don't know how to write! " Andrew burst out laughing. I stood up suddenly.

" I may not be able to write, but I can do many other things, I refuse to learn with an obnoxious prick of a prince who thinks he is everything and cares nothing for others feelings " I growled, I stormed out. I ran past my father and into the garden. I reached a small pond and knelt beside it. I never hated someone so much before, I despised the pampered prince!

" Adalia? " Reaver knelt next to me.

" I'm sorry Dad, I can't study with that boy. " I signed

" What did he do? " Reaver asked

" He laughed because I don't know how to write. " I told him

" It's okay, I guess it was too early to get you to start at Andrew's level. Let's go home, I am sure I will be able to find someone to teach you " Reaver helped me up. We headed back to the carriage, the queen stood by the door, I got in the carriage while Reaver went to explain to her that I was going to have a scholar at his manor. I sat in silence all the way back.

" I will start searching for a suitable scholar for you... " Reaver began

" I am useless... " I muttered to myself

" Your not " Reaver tried to reassure me

" I am, I couldn't even last an hour with that boy. " I signed " I thought we could be friends after last night "

" It's okay, I will make sure you'll show him up next time you meet" Reaver smiled. I hugged him, Reaver was frozen with shock.

" Thanks... Dad" I whispered. Reaver began to hug me back.

" It's ok, my dear " He chuckled, the carriage stopped. " Come along now, I am sure Claire will be able to teach you to write. "

" Thank you again, dad " I smiled.

A little while later, I was sitting in the corner of Reaver's study learning to write. Claire was repairing a hole in a coat, while making sure I was getting the help I needed. I had made some progress with my writing, but it still needed a lot of work. I managed to write 'Adalia' and 'Reaver', I was proud of myself.

" Can I have a look at what you have done, my dear? " Reaver asked, I got up and took the paper I had worked on to him. He looked at what I had done." Your getting there, keep up the good work " I flushed with pride. Reaver gave me the paper back." You can have a break now. You can carry on after " I nodded and left him to his work. I went into the garden, the sun shone through the lime green leaves, it was beautiful. I sat under a tree and gazed up at the sky lazily. I thought of my friends back at my mum's farm. I hoped that she was looking after them properly. I closed my eyes, and I slowly drifted off to sleep.

" Adalia? " I heard someone whisper, I opened my eyes, I saw Reaver kneeling next to me. "time to wake up"

" How long have I been asleep? " I yawned

" Only a few minutes. Come, I have something to show you " Reaver helped me up, and lead me too a small building. I realised that it was a stable with all different coloured and breeds of horses.

" Wow! " I went up to a lovely snow drop coloured Appaloosa." They're beautiful! "

" I thought you would like them. " Reaver smiled, as I patted the Appaloosa.

" I do, I have a horse at home. I called him Sky, as he reminds me of a stormy sky. " I smiled to myself, I looked at him. Reaver seemed happy that I was enjoying being with the horses.

"Where do you come from?" Reaver asked.

" Oakfield, I live on a farm. " I told him, I looked at the Appaloosa, it's eyes glittered with trust. " The only friends I had were the animals. "

" Well, You're welcome to come here any time you want. Do you know how to ride a horse? " Reaver asked

" Sort of, I know how to ride one but I haven't riden one before. " I blushed a little. I was the daughter of a rich man yet I acted and was nothing more than a poor farm girl.

" Than, it is time you learnt to. Pick out a horse you think will be the right size for you to ride. " Reaver told me, I walked along the padlocks, I stopped by a cream paint horse. It was roughly 13 hands high.

" This one " I gave it a pat.

" Ah, he is one of the new horses miss" A stable worker came over.

"Saddle him, Oliver " Reaver said

" Yes, sir" I watched as Oliver saddled the horse. When he had finished, he gave me the reins. " Here you are miss"

" Thank you " I smiled, Reaver lead me and the horse outside.

" Now, time for you to ride. " Before I knew it, he lifted me up and seated me on the saddle. " Wait there " Reaver went back into the stable, when he came out he too was riding a horse, the Appaloosa. He tied a rope to my horse's rein then tied the over end to his horse. " Right, hold on " He started off with a slow trot. I halt on tightly to the reins. We went around Millfields once before heading back home.

Later in the evening, we sat in the library. Reaver was writing, while I was trying to read a book.

" Are you ok there Adalia? " Reaver asked

" I can't read..." I admitted

"It's late now, I'll help you tomorrow " Reaver smiled, his sea blue eyes sparkled, I realized how similar we were." Off to bed with you. Have a good night sleep, I'll see you in the morning" I put the book back, I baid him good night and headed up to my room. I lay there for a while, thinking about my father. I heard so much about him, yet now I had met him, I believed that he had changed since meeting me. I pushed aside the thoughts for tomorrow and went to sleep.
Sign up to rate and review this story