Categories > TV > Lost > Taken care of

A dead end

by dreamsarefanfiction 0 reviews

Juliet and Jack attempt to figure out what the green substance in the vial is. Kate worries about what will happen to her family when they are rescued.

Category: Lost - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Jack,Kate,Sawyer - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2016-02-08 - 1747 words

0Unrated
Hunched over a microscope Juliet squinted her eyes. Jack sighed and put a hand on her shoulder.

“Take a break Juliet. Let me see what I can find.”

Reluctantly, Juliet moved her stool over so that Jack could take her place. Putting her bare and swollen feet up on another stool next to her she sighed content with taking the pressure off them. A dizzy spell suddenly seized her and she blacked out. Milliseconds too slow, Jack was unable to prevent Juliet from landing on her side. Wincing, Jack scrambled to his feet and knelt down next to Juliet. Pushing some hair out of her eyes he looked at her carefully. Not moving her still form, he examined her head for any bumps. Worry creased his forehead in great and deep crevices.

“Come on Juliet.”

Reaching for the middle drawer under the microscope, Jack pulled out a blood pressure cuff. Wrapping it around her right arm he watched the needle go up as he squeezed the mechanism at the bottom. Letting the air out he frowned at the numbers the needle was indicating.

“90/60. Juliet what is going on?”

He said it more to himself than to an unconscious Juliet. She’d been drinking plenty of water, but he hadn’t seen her eat anything since breakfast. She could get very caught up in her work, which was dangerous now more than before. Removing the cuff from around her arm, he saw Juliet’s eyes flutter and open slowly. He put a hand on her shoulder to stop her from sitting up. Something soft was under her head.

“Jack, what’s going on?”

Keeping her calm, Jack explained what happened to a clearly confused Juliet.

“You lost consciousness. You were out for 15 minutes. You need to eat something Juliet. Your blood pressure is 90/60. Those aren’t good numbers. Babies are doing just fine. There’s no trauma from the fall, no bleeding and no obstructions. Where’s Sawyer? He needs to know what happened.”

Juliet’s face grew red as she managed to get into a comfortable sitting position.

“James went to get me some fish and sea urchin from Jin. He should be back in about 5 minutes.”

Jack helped Juliet lean against the counter and handed her some water.

“When I say take it easy Juliet I didn’t mean sitting on the stool in front of a microscope and working. That’s not taking it easy. Your retaining a lot of water. Your feet are still very swollen. Here put them up on this pile of blankets. I don’t want you moving around until you get something into your stomach.”

Juliet crossed her arms in protest.

“Ok. But I’ll need to use the bathroom soon.”

Arms still crossed she opened her mouth but it was Jack who piped up.

“I can help you solve that problem Juliet if you want. It’s up to you.”

Eyes widening in embarrassment Juliet shook her head.

“Jack we had a deal. Hell no. The deal was the catheter goes in when I go into labor. That was the deal. Nothing before that.”

Jack put up his hands in mock surrender and put the catheter back into a drawer off to the side of the microscope station. Relaxing and leaning against the cabinet behind her she
watched as Sawyer entered the room, an old tray from the plane with a cooked fish and some sea urchin. Leaning down and setting the tray on her lap, Sawyer pushed a strand of hair away from her face. It’d fallen out of her messy bun on her head.

“What are you doing down here blondie? I thought you were supposed to be helping the doc find out what that green stuff is in that tube.”

A small smile coming to her lips Juliet looked down at the tray in front of her.

“I passed out but I’m fine now. I just need to eat something.”

Reaching for a piece of sea urchin Juliet attempted to put it into her mouth when Jack put a hand over her right one.

“Don’t eat that. Your throat is going to swell if you do, making it difficult to breathe. Your allergic to sea urchin.”

Staring at the orange piece of sea life between her fingers she scrutinized it. Then quizzically looking up at Jack, Juliet held up the gooey piece of sea urchin.

“How do you know that Jack?”

Trying not to shift uncomfortably on the floor beside Juliet, Jack pointed to the piece of food in her hand.

“From a nightmare I had about a week ago. Right before you were dragged off into the jungle and I was hit in the head with the butt of a rifle.”

Juliet put the piece of sea urchin back on the tray. Taking the tray away, Jack set it on the countertop. Pulling Juliet to her feet she steadied herself with his left forearm.

“I thought you said you didn’t want me to move Jack.”

Getting her over to the sink he answered.

“This is a life threatening situation.”

Once her hands were clean, Juliet settled herself back into her spot on the floor. Sawyer taking the tray with him spoke.

“I’ll get you some boar blondie. Stay put.”

Looking up at Jack, she caught a small pack of saltines he tossed at her.

“They’ll settle your stomach until Sawyer gets back with the boar.”

Munching on a saltine Juliet stared hard at the microscope. She’d wondered if Jack had found anything.

“So what’s in it? The green substance that Ben was going to give Megan?”

Shaking his head, Jack lowered himself onto a stool and scooted himself next to Juliet.

“This is a dead end Juliet. There is nothing in it that I recognize. He could be getting help from someone. Like maybe an outside source? You once told me he leaves the island when he feels like it. Do you know where he goes?”

Juliet shook her head and took another saltine from the bag, popping it into her mouth. Swallowing, she answered.

“I don’t know where he goes. But I would give anything just to go home again. If I’m lucky, maybe I can have these two in a real hospital instead of the medical station.”

Jack understood her concerns. But he knew that he too had to be practical. They’d been stuck on this island for 5 years and no one had come. Settling down was all he could do
and keep busy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I heard Juliet fainted earlier. Is she ok?”

Kate sat on the edge of the bed trying to get Megan to sleep. Jack smiled at Megan and ran a hand over her tiny head of hair.

“She’s ok for now. I’ll have to keep a closer eye on her though. What did Ben give her anyways?”

Kate shuddered and watched Megan as she nodded off into a peaceful slumber.

“That thing that’s your ‘father’ says it was a couple of horse tranquilizers. It doesn’t make any sense since they didn’t give me one. They only gave me a sedative.”

This worried Jack more now that her and Juliet were back. But finding out the Black Smoke monster that was masquerading as his father was in on the whole conspiracy of bringing out some raw talents Megan didn’t even know she would be capable of until she was older? That was something else entirely. Kate had filled him in on everything his ‘father’ told her. He didn’t believe anything he said though. It was just another smoke screen of deception.

“Why would they give you a sedative and Juliet the horse tranquilizers?”

Kate averted her eyes towards the rolling surf outside.

“I don’t know Jack, but we both know that Juliet can’t go through something like this again. She couldn’t keep anything down. I had to help her to the bathroom because she was so weak. She wouldn’t have lasted another week if you hadn’t come.”

This made Jack angry. Ben and the Smoke Monster had taken Kate and Megan too. Not just Juliet. He knew how Ben’s mind worked and he had a horrible hunch cross his mind.

“That thing that says he’s my ‘father’ will be back. Him and Ben and I’m sure they’ll come with lots of reinforcements this time. Whatever that green substance was in that vial, they were not only going to give it to Megan, they are probably waiting until Juliet gives birth and give it to the twins too. We need to be ready for them.”

Giving a weary smile, Kate put Megan back into the cradle.

“That’s a good idea Jack. But we don’t exactly have enough rifles and guns to arm everyone. Desmond blew the hatch remember? We don’t even know if he made it back to the mainland to bring back help. That was two years ago now.”

Jack hadn’t thought about Desmond in a while. He hoped in the back of his mind that he made it back to the mainland. But it would be difficult to find the island again. Not without the right coordinates. That was what Desmond said.

“I’m sure he’s working day and night to find a way to get help back here. We just have to be patient.”

Kate nodded solemnly. She knew what was waiting for her when she returned to the mainland.

“Right now the people that were chasing me think I’m dead. Maybe it’s best they think that. I want to start fresh when we go back. We have a family now Jack. We have Megan to think about, what’s best for her. With time Gracie and Cody. I don’t want them to grow up without a mother.”

Jack pulled her into his arms and began kissing the side of her neck.

“Whatever happens when we get back, I’m with you. I won’t let anything happen to you. My family may be able to help you. My mother knows a really good lawyer. When we get back, let me speak to her.”

Kate hoped that she could finally live in peace without running when she got back. She had her family now, and that was what mattered most.

To Be Continued…
Sign up to rate and review this story