Categories > TV > Lost > Taken care of

Some things must be undone

by dreamsarefanfiction 0 reviews

Jack and Doctor Amberson believe that Kate's immunity to the virus can help Megan and Juliet.

Category: Lost - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Jack,Kate,Sawyer - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2016-02-08 - 1054 words

0Unrated
Megan was asleep in the crib in the far corner of the room as Kate took a seat in a chair next to Juliet’s bed.

“I’m sorry this is happening to you Juliet. Sometimes I think this island has it in for us.”

Juliet grimaced and looked Kate in the eye. Sighing she spoke.

“That’s what I’ve been trying to tell Jack. Sometimes I think the island is trying to punish us. All of us. It’s not your fault this is happening to me or Megan. It just happened. Sometimes in life we just get a series of bad luck streaks. Maybe Doctor Amberson can fix his mistake. Could you get Jack for me Kate? Sorry to cut our conversation short, it’s just something hurts.”

Swallowing Kate nodded and went over towards Jack and whispered in his ear.

“Jack, Juliet needs you. She says somethings hurting her.”

Getting up from the microscope station and leaving Doctor Amberson to his work, Jack strode over towards Juliet. He found that her face was flush and she was sweating. He looked her in the eye and spoke.

“Hey. What’s wrong? Where does it hurt?”

She tried to pull the sheet back far enough so that Jack could see, but her arms moved clumsily and it was just easier for Jack to do it himself. He tried not to grimace as he saw how bloated part of her stomach and her abdomen were.

“That’s not normal. This has to be an ongoing reaction to Doctor Amberson’s vaccine. When did you first notice this?”

Closing her eyes she winced and then opened them again.

“A few minutes ago. Am I running a fever?”

Doctor Amberson interrupted Juliet and stared at Jack.

“It’s affecting her immune system. Soon that oxygen mask is the only thing that will help her to breathe. The bloating and inflammation will continue. Eventually it’ll interfere with the function of every one of her vital organs before they shut down.”

Eyes widening, Jack was ready to pounce on Doctor Amberson.

“Do you mean to tell me, one wrong element in your vaccine is causing the virus?”

Giving a frustrated sigh Doctor Amberson nodded and turned his attention back to the microscope in front of him. Jack finished his thought.

“You’ve just exposed all of us then!”

Doctor Amberson shook his head and looked up from the microscope once more.

“No. Women and children are only affected. Men seem immune to it, and Kate of course.”

Kate had scooped up a sleeping Megan into her arms and placed her onto her shoulder. She moved her tiny head and turned it to the left, lying it down on her mother’s shoulder again. Bottom lip beginning to quiver, Kate looked at Doctor Amberson.

“My daughter’s very sick isn’t she?”

Doctor Amberson looked up and Jack thought he could see a flicker of sympathy cross his face.

“Yes. I’m working to correct it though. I’ve asked Ben to acquire all the elements I need to make a new vaccine. Some things must be undone, and this is one of them.”

Jack went back to Juliet and looked her in the eye.

“I can get you something for the pain. It’ll help you sleep. Is there anything else I can do for you to make you more comfortable?”

Juliet nodded and used her arms to shift herself into a more comfortable position.

“My back hurts. I think I have a uti.”

Sighing Jack sympathized with her.

“I’ll get you some juice. It’s too bad we don’t have any cranberries. I’ll change that catheter out and get you a fresh one. I’ll need to check for bedsores on your back when I come back. You’ve been in the same position for quite some time now.”

A frustrated sighed escaped her lips.

“You know I hate being the center of attention Jack. It makes me feel more isolated.”

Jack nodded and let his mind go over Juliet’s statement.

“You are my patient Juliet. That makes you my priority. You may think you’re the center of attention, but that’s not the case. We’ll get through this. Doctor Amberson said he’d need at least three or four more days to come up with a replacement vaccine to counteract the effects this one is having on you.”

Juliet twisted the sheets that were covering her on the bed. She hadn’t felt this nervous in a long time. Sawyer planted himself in the chair and took Juliet’s hands in his own.

“Everything’s going to be ok blondie. You’ll see.”

Jack returned with a cup of juice and changed out the catheter for a new one. Downing the fresh squeezed juice, Juliet winced as Jack and Sawyer helped turn her onto her side.

“These are some pretty irritated bedsores. I’m going to clean these out and put fresh dressings on them alright?”

Juliet stayed still as Jack cleaned out the wounds on her back.

“You know Jack, I wanted Andy and Cara to be born on the mainland in Miami. I wanted them to be born in a hospital with a good team of doctors and anesthetic that wasn’t expired!”

Jack didn’t take offense to what Juliet said. He only nodded and tried to smile.

“I know you want to get off this island just as badly as I do Juliet. We all do. Doctor Amberson and I are working non-stop to fix what’s going on with you and Megan. He thinks that maybe some of the antibodies from Kate might help reverse this. But neither of us can be sure until we test it out. I’m going to give you something to help you sleep ok? Everything is going to work out. You’ll see.”

Before Juliet could ask what Jack meant exactly, her eyes became heavy and sleep enveloped her like a warm blanket. The island wasn’t going to take her life, she wouldn’t let it. She
was going to get away from here and see her sister and her nephew. Her children wouldn’t have to grow up on this godforsaken rock.

To Be Continued…
Sign up to rate and review this story