Categories > TV > Lost > Taken care of

Trial and error

by dreamsarefanfiction 0 reviews

Jack informs Juliet that he and Doctor Amberson are close to a vaccine. Meanwhile, Ben makes a serious threat that involves not only Jack and Kate's children, but Sawyer and Juliet's as well.

Category: Lost - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Jack,Kate,Sawyer - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2016-02-08 - 1031 words

0Unrated
Juliet bit her lip. Everything lately had become trial and error. But she trusted Jack. He reassured her that everything was going according to plan, at least so far. She was more concerned about Megan and her children at the moment. Jack parted the screens momentarily and then shut them again.

“How did you sleep last night?”

Blinking her eyes, Juliet swallowed and then answered.

“Like crap. Let me guess, you’re here to take more blood from me?”

Nodding, Jack took her arm and tied the rubber tubing around it.

“This’ll only take a minute. So, how’s your appetite?”

Juliet rolled her eyes at Jack and returned her gaze up to the ceiling.

“Poor. But you know that Jack. Whatever this virus is Jack, it’s affecting my appetite. I might be able to stomach some plain oatmeal. Worked wonders when I was pregnant with these two.”

Her eyes roved over the two sleeping children in the plastic basinets and her smile grew. She could see that Cara was wiggling around in the
basinet. Cara was on the verge of letting out a scream. Juliet knew that Cara wasn’t hungry, she’d been fed already. Changed also. She probably just wanted to be held.

“Baby girl, I’m right here.”

Juliet was able to move her upper body, but it would take several more injections of the new vaccine in order for her to gain full control of
her motor functions. She finished her thought and held out her arms for her daughter.

“You’re cold aren’t you sweetie?”

Jack carefully scooped Cara up into his arms and rocked her for almost a full minute before placing her in Juliet’s arms.

“Sometimes they just want to be held. In Cara’s case, she just wants to be near you. She’s still adjusting to the temperature out here in the world.”

Juliet draped a blanket over herself and listened to Cara’s happy cooing. Sometimes she felt like she spent so little time, at least lately getting to know her daughter. She was more determined than ever to get off the island with her kids. James too. This was no place to raise a child. Or children. Something told her though, that it would be another few years before she left this island for good.

“You know Jack, I owe you. You saved my life. You saved Cara and Andrew. I wouldn’t have survived if it hadn’t been for you and the help of my serum. It’s because of you that my children are healthy. Do you really think that this vaccine will work?”

Jack nodded but his eyes shifted to the blanket concealing Cara.

“It’s a trial and error situation right now Juliet. But my main focus is on getting you better. Megan too, then get these two vaccinated. I know you don’t have much of an appetite right now; I’ll work on getting you some plain oatmeal. Hopefully you can keep that down. What about Cara? How’s her appetite?”

Managing to shake her head, Juliet maneuvered so that she could lift the blanket. Jack took a peek under it and found Cara nestled and curled up against Juliet’s chest. Every day she was less wrinkly and was taking on more of Juliet than Sawyer.

“Actually that’s what I was going to ask you about Jack. She seems to be having a little trouble nursing.”

Frowning, Jack scooted the stool closer to the bed and pushed the blanket back a little further.

“It’s ok sweetie go with ‘uncle’ Jack.”

Cara let out an angry wail as Jack carefully took her into his arms. Juliet put a hand over her mouth and watched as Jack placed her onto an exam table next to the bed.

“Has she had any shortness of breath? Do you notice her wheezing when she breathes?”

Juliet shook her head no and continued to watch Jack.

“No. She’s actually having trouble opening her mouth. I know you can’t see it right now because she’s screaming at the top of her lungs, but it’s there. Trust me Jack.”
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“She’s at least sleeping through the night now.”

Kate sat on a stool next to the crib Megan was asleep in. She smiled up to him and tugged on his hand. Pulling him down to her level, she
leaned in for a kiss. Wrapping her arms around his neck, she let the kiss deepen for a moment and then pulled away.

“You need to shave.”

Jack let out a chuckle and reached a hand through the slates in the crib and placed it on Megan’s tiny foot. She stirred and then settled
again.

“Do I? You don’t like the 5 o’clock shadow look? We’re close Kate. Doctor Amberson just has a few more tweaks to make to this vaccine and it’ll be ready to go. Everything’s going to be ok.”

Kate’s eyes wandered over to the basinet containing Cara.

“How’s Cara doing?”

Jack shook his head at Kate and ran a hand over Megan’s tiny head.

“You always ask that, but you know I can’t talk about it.”

Ben sat and smirked from his spot on the floor. He was still handcuffed to the chair leg that was bolted to the floor.

“You know Jack, when this is all over, I’m still going to take Megan. She’ll get a good education on this island. I assure you. Cara and Andrew will join her. With time so will Cody and Grace.”

Jack moved from the spot he’d been sitting in next to the crib and made it to Ben in three long strides.

“You don’t have any rights to any of these children Ben. So just watch your back. We’ll strike when you least expect it.”

Ben only continued to smirk and tried crossing his arms over his chest.

“I do believe I still have the upper hand in the situation Jack. You’re on my turf. These barracks belong to us.”

To Be Continued…
Sign up to rate and review this story