Categories > Games > Kingdom Hearts > A Series of Ficlets

Watching

by Lazuli 0 reviews

Written for the riku_x_sora community as a drabble request. Turned out to be more of a ficlet. Prompt: Riku angst with some happy Sora resolution

Category: Kingdom Hearts - Rating: G - Genres: Angst, Romance - Characters: Riku, Sora - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2006-08-27 - Updated: 2006-08-27 - 340 words

0Unrated
Sora didn't think Riku noticed, but Riku had been watching the younger boy for days now as he walked along the familiar beach, pausing to dribble sand through gloved hands.

Watching as Sora held this look of mingled disbelief and relief all at once, as if he couldn't believe the beach was actually there. There was always a smile on his face, though--and Riku wondered if Sora was faking it, as if knew he was being watched and had to put up a front. Riku felt the guilt twist in his gut once more--he was the one that caused this; the uncertain look on Sora's face and changing the innocence that once defined Sora.

But what Riku didn't realize was that Sora was watching him, too-- that the happy smiles were real because he was home and nothing had changed except they lived their dreams of visiting other worlds. True, they hadn't done it together, but they met up in the end and that was what counted, right?

So Sora went to Riku on the Island where the Darkness had hovered that night, to hand him the Papou fruit he had carefully stored away all these years, a smile in his eyes and on his face.

"This time we can share it," he said softly, putting the fruit in Riku's hands and giving the older boy a more serious look than he usually had. "Even though our hearts are already connected..."

Riku gave him a strange look, staring at the fruit in his hands as if he couldn't place the name of it or why or how it got there.

"I'm glad that I'm back here...with you...to share it." Sora's smile was more shy now and he hid his eyes behind dark bangs. "Split it with me?"

And Riku found himself smiling--strong hands that were trained as a child and in the middle of battle tearing the star shaped fruit in half to share it with the person who's heart reflected his own so clearly.
Sign up to rate and review this story