Categories > Cartoons > G.I. Joe > Haven

Holding Patterns

by Nickelina 0 reviews

Recent events cause those involved to reconcider the choices they made

Category: G.I. Joe - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Duke, Flint, Lady Jaye - Published: 2006-08-30 - Updated: 2006-08-30 - 2648 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: Characters in this work (GI Joe/ Cobra) are the property of Marvel Comics, Hasbro
and Devil's Due Publishing, Inc., and are being used without permission. No profit is gained from the use of these characters.

Haven
By Nickelina


Holding Patterns

"Rey was shot in Paris. He is on his way back to the States." Duke told Flint. They were meeting in Duke's office at Joe Headquarters. Duke was agitated.
"What was he doing in Paris anyway?" Flint asked.
"I don't know. I was wondering if you had heard anything."
"No. I don't get told much around here anymore," Flint paused. "You know, Conrad, last week when I crashed at your place, he was there."
"In my apartment?" Duke was shocked
"Yeah, I don't know what time it was."
"Goddamnit, Dash!" Duke yelled as he threw down the papers he had in his hand onto the desk. "What the hell are you thinking telling me this now?"
"I didn't think it was important, Conrad." Flint replied.
Duke wanted to grab Flint out of the chair and punch him square in the face, if only Flint would know the reasoning behind it. "You know that I have confidential files all over that apartment. How could you let Rey go through it?"
"I didn't know what he was there for."
"You didn't know what he was there for? How stupid can you be, Dash? What did he take?"
"I didn't see."
"Why not? Were you too drunk?" Duke walked around the desk and stood in front of the window and looked out over the street.
Flint did not reply right away. "It was our anniversary. I had a right."
"Stop making excuses. I've had enough of it Dash. You need to straighten the fuck up. Do you know what you have done by not stopping him?"
"If someone got hurt, it's not anyone that matters to me." Flint said casually.
Duke wished that he could tell Flint that the person who could have been hurt was the one person that mattered to him the most. Duke looked Flint in the eye, but didn't say a word. Flint looked back at him, trying to read what Duke was trying to tell him. Duke thought perhaps Flint caught it, as his expression seemed to change. Duke broke the stare after a few seconds. He wasn't about to let Flint off the hook. He was too mad. He walked to door and opened it.
"Dash, get the hell out of my office."

*
The cold rainy days in Scotland matched the moods of Callum's team who had migrated there. Nested in the highlands was another of the McCullen family estate. Callum had made sure that there were uniformed Iron Grenadiers posted at each entrance as well as around the perimeter of the grounds. When he made the call to Destro about the move, the Laird was less then pleased. Destro had expected something to happen with Duke knowing where Alison was. This time, Duke would not be told of her location.
Erin had joined them a few days later. Although she was roughed up, she was not injured in the attack. And Rey had managed to get away. Their objective was to maintain the safety of Alison, not to apprehend her attacker.
Since arriving in Scotland, Alison had retreated to her room and had not emerged. She would not see her therapists, or come to the dining room for meals. She had closed herself off from the rest of the world. Callum was damned if he was going to let her slip away again. He went into his room and took out her file. He took notes as he skimmed through it. When he had all the information he needed, he made his way to her room.


Callum knocked on the door and didn't wait for Alison to invite him in. He looked around her room, lit only by her television. Her clothes were strewn all over; trays of food were stacked up on the table. She was lying in the bed; it was apparent that she had been there for days.
Callum turned on the overhead light. Alison quickly shut her eyes.
"Alison!" Callum yelled. She did not respond. "Alison!"
"What?" She moaned through the blankets she had brought up to her face to block out the light.
"What the hell is this?" He motioned to the room.
"If you don't like it in here, then leave."
Callum walked to a pile of clothes, picked them up and threw them on the bed at her.
"Stop it!" Alison told him. She kicked the clothes back to the floor.
Callum walked to the side of her bed and grabbed her arm. "Get up!" He jerked her to a sitting position. "I said get up."
Alison brushed her hair out of her eyes. "What do you want, Callum?"
"Look at this place. Have you seen yourself?"
"No. I don't really care."
"You should. You look like shit."
"Fuck off, Callum." She took her arm out of his grasp.
"Ah, so there is still something in there."
"Leave me alone."
"What happened to you? What brought you down this far?"
Alison kicked the blankets off of her and rubbed her face. "Do you have to ask? I've almost been killed three times in one year. And then I have to confront the person responsible for it all and he flipped my world upside down, again. I don't want to fight this anymore. I'm tired of fighting."
"Do you think your life is worth fighting for?"
"No, I'm not sure it is."
Callum took a piece of paper out of his shirt pocket. He unfolded it and stood in front of Alison. He cleared his throat and read aloud.
"Let's see. You were educated in the finest schools on the east coast of the United States. Received your Master's degree from Trinity College in Dublin, award winning actress..." He looked into her eyes. "Is this all an act?"
Alison rolled her eyes at him.
"This is the part I love, your military career. Ranger and airborne qualified, Army Sergeant, extensive intelligence training, you speak eight languages? Hmmm..."
Alison gasped, and Callum kept reading.
"Promoted to the top secret GI Joe team after only being in the Army four years. And as of nine months ago, you were head of their intelligence."
"How did you get that?" She asked.
"I did a little research. I would think someone with those credentials wouldn't be so willing to throw in the towel."
"What do you want from me?"
"I want you to get up off your ass! Take a shower, God knows you probably need one, and start living your life again."
"What if I don't know how to any more?" Alison got out of bed and tripped over the clothes she had kicked on the floor. Callum caught her before she fell.
"You watch the telly all day. What good is that?"
"I'm watching things unfold." Alison picked up a robe that was on top of the pile and put it on.
"That isn't doing anything. I can help you but you have to want to help yourself first." Callum opened the door and started to walk out. "Dinner will be ready at six. Erin and Wallace will be expecting you."
Alison turned to face him and before she could protest he shut the door. She kicked the pile of clothes in anger then sat back on the bed. Callum opened her bedroom door and stuck his head in.
"And stop feeling sorry for yourself. It doesn't suit your nature."


Alison showered and dressed herself for dinner in simple jeans and a blue button down shirt. It was the first time she was dressed in what she would consider normal clothes. No hospital gowns or seat suits. She looked at her arms and noticed how small they had become. She sighed and brushed her hair back into a ponytail. She took one final look at herself in the mirror and tried to smile. She shook her head then turned off the lights.
Callum and Erin were seated at the table. When Wallace saw Alison in the hall he got up from where he was sitting and walked to her side. He wagged his tail and waited for her to pet him. Alison scratched him between his ears and he followed her to the table and took his place at her feet. She sat without saying a word and a member of the house staff set a bowl of soup in front of her. She thanked him and looked over at Erin and smiled.
"It's good to see you back among us, Ali." Erin told her. "I thought you were never going to leave your room."
"Ah, no need to worry, Erin. Alison was just having a rough couple of days. Weren't you, Al?" Callum asked and winked at her."
"I guess you could say that." Alison responded.
"Before you came down, Erin and I were discussing several stories that were in the New York Times." Callum continued.
"Like what?" Alison said as she picked up a roll and tore a piece off. Erin reached over and took it out of her hand.
"You know you can't tolerate bread."
Alison popped the remaining piece in her mouth.
"It seems that there is a push to overhaul the entire US Cabinet. There are rumors of corruption, and the Secretary of State may be stepping down."
Alison sighed and shook her head. "Corruption is the right word. However I don't think anyone knows how deep it really is."
"And you know this for sure?" Callum asked.
Alison did not respond to his question. "Did they say who was next in line for the position of Secretary?"
"I can't quite remember the name, but I think it said he was a senator from Oregon."
Alison looked past Callum and out the window. She was trying to think who the senators from Oregon were, and her heart sank. She must have had a look on her face because Erin placed her hand on her arm.
"Are you alright?" she asked.
"Ah, yeah. " Alison shook her head. "Yeah, I'm fine."

After dinner Alison excused herself to go for a walk. It was almost dark and it was starting to rain. She put her hands in her pockets and walked into the yard. Wallace ran to catch up with her and barked to get her attention once he was at her side. She knelt down to pet him.
"Oh, Boy. Why are you out in this rain? I'll be fine. Go back in the house."
She stood up and walked away, and Wallace faithfully followed.
"Wallace! Go inside!" She commanded.
"He wont go." She heard Callum say as he walked towards her. "He is trained to stay near you."
"I know."
"If you don't want his company, perhaps you would like mine?"
Alison smiled at him "Sure."
Callum pointed towards the house. "Wallace, inside!" He waited until Wallace was in before he joined up with Alison. He took off his coat and draped it across her shoulders.
"You understand what is happening in the US don't you?"
"Yes." She said quietly.
"Care to enlighten me?"
"No," She paused. "It's not that I don't want to, I can't."
"You can trust me with your life, but not with this?"
"Exactly."
"You are a stubborn one."
"So I've been told." She walked ahead of him, the waited for him to catch up with her. Once he was walking next to her, she took his right arm and pulled it towards her. "You have a tattoo, can I see it?"
"Of course." He pulled his shirt sleeve up and revealed a gold sword with a snake wrapped around it, the unofficial mark of an Iron Grenadier.
"I thought so." She let go of his arm and started to walk back to the house.
"It's not what you think, Alison."
She turned around and threw her arm up. "Can the shit get any deeper? Now I'm defiantly not telling you anything."
"Duke sent you here for protection." He called out to her.
"What?"
"Laird Destro contacted Duke after you were attacked in New York. Duke sent you to us."
"I have a hard time believing that." Alison snapped.
"Try to calm down..." He reached out to her.
"Absolutely not! God, my life is a total nightmare! When is the doorknob going to show up to pry information from me?"
"He's not." Callum took a hold of her hand and she ripped it away. "Will you let me explain?"
"You better talk fast, Callum"
"Duke did not think that he could provide for your safety. General Rey kept finding you. Destro offered to take you in."
Alison rolled her eyes. "That's nice."
"Destro wasn't fucking around when he set up your security detail. Everyone you have been around since you arrived in Europe is a member of the Iron Grenadiers. Your drivers, house guards... Erin is a Sergeant. A trained field medic and doctor as well as an expert shot. I'm one of Destro's five personal guards. I was relieved of my duties only to be at your service. I am to guard you, as if you were the Laird himself. I've seen you in battle, Lady Jaye, and believe me I was more than shocked when I realized who you were.
"I think I'm going to pass out."
Callum helped Alison to sit on the ground. "The Laird hates the Red Shadows, probably more than you do. He has lost as much as you in all of this and I'm sure that he felt that to help you would be like getting back a part of his own life."
"I don't believe you. His hand picked security staff really kept me safe in Paris, didn't they? Or did Destro just drop the ball that time?" Her voice dripped with sarcasm.
"Duke knew where you were in Paris. He doesn't know where you are now. No one knows where you are." Callum sat on the wet ground across from Alison. "I'm sorry about Paris. I wish you would tell me what happened before I got to you."
Alison pulled on the grass on either side of her and when she had a handful, she threw it to the side. Some of the wet grass stuck to her hand and she wiped it on her pants.
"He told me that I couldn't stop what was already planned. He took GI Joe apart."
"Who?"
"Rey. He said that the Red Shadows owned the military." Her voice began to break up and she wiped the rain that was starting to pour down out of her eyes. "He told me that he had Zach killed and...:
"And what?" Callum took both of her hands in his.
"My husband isn't dead." Her voice became higher as it filled with anguish. "I'm afraid that as long as I stay alive they will hurt anyone that I ever knew."
"Do you believe him? Do you believe that Zach was killed and your husband is dead?"
"I don't know. Everything he has ever told me is a lie."
"You can stop him. Stop all of this, and find out the truth."
Alison took a deep breath and calmed herself as best she could.
"I don't know how."
"Yes you do." Callum stood up. "Let's go inside before you get sick."
She looked up at him. "Give me a minute."
Callum walked in the house and Alison sat by herself in the rain. She thought back to what happened in Paris. "Everything he has ever told me is a lie." All the hurt and pain she felt was turning into anger. She closed her eyes, took a deep breath and let the rain wash away the person she had become.



Sign up to rate and review this story