Categories > Cartoons > Batman > Mantle

Chapter Four

by Slades_Downfall 0 reviews

The Titans take on the Riddler in a battle of wits. But even with Batman's (Dick Grayson's) help will they be able to stop him before he detonates bombs all over Gotham City?

Category: Batman - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Crossover, Drama - Characters: Batman, Beast Boy, Chief Rojas, Detective Yin, James Gordon, Raven, Robin, Starfire, The Riddler - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-08-31 - Updated: 2006-08-31 - 4757 words

1Exciting
Chapter Four

Dick Grayson immediately began working on the Tumbler. He had spent the previous day purchasing more equipment for his crusade. He sighed in frustration. "I don't have time for this!" he said, staring at his four legged companion Ace who was watching intently sitting on his haunches beside his master.

"Ruff, Ruff," Ace barked and gave his beloved master big adorable puppy eyes. He panted happily as Dick absentmindedly scratched his head.

"Yeah, I know boy. If you could talk you'd probably tell me that everything's fine." Dick Grayson smiled. "It's kinda nice being back again. Not that I terribly miss this place, but you know boy, I miss you and my friends I have here." He sighed. His friends, his thoughts soon turned to Jump City and the Titans. He wondered how they were faring without him.

The thought had entered his head more than once that day that his friends might try to follow him. But why? He had left Cyborg in charge and he knew his friend could handle it. Beast Boy and Raven, he was sure they would be fine without him, Dick chuckled. He would miss their noisy bickering.

"I don't have time to work on the Tumbler. But I need some sort of transportation to get me from place to place." The thought hit him. "I can use the motorcycle!" All he needed to do was modify it. "But how long will that take? Every second wasted is time lost and more criminals on the loose in Gotham. What do you think boy?"

"Ruff, ruff," the dog barked again.

"I take that as a 'You should definitely work on it,'" Dick laughed. "Okay. Let me see..." He began tinkering with the cycle. "Rocket boosters, laser guns, souped up engines; I think that's it!" he finished after he had properly installed everything. He glanced over at his Titans communicator lying on a nearby workbench. He wondered if he should check on his friends.

He decided to check and pushed the button. "Guys?"

"Hey Robin, so good of you to call," to Robin's surprise it was Aqualad's voice!

"Aqualad, what are you doing at Titans Tower!" Robin asked in disbelief. "Where are the Titans?"

"There in Gotham, looking for you! You didn't know they were coming?" Aqualad asked.

"Well-uh, no! No! They weren't supposed to follow me here! I left Cyborg in charge to watch over the city!"

"And he left me, Speedy, and Bumblebee in charge while they're away," Aqualad said simply. "You didn't just expect them to stay here while you ran off to Gotham, did you?"

"I was expecting them to follow my orders!" Robin was exasperated. "When did they leave?"

"Yesterday, about two or three hours after you did," Aqualad replied.

"So do you know whose idea it was to follow me here?" Robin asked.

"Starfire's," was the reply.

"Oh great, listen Aqualad, thanks for telling me this. The situation has become much more complicated."

"How so?" he asked.

"I can't say, it's just my situation is much more dangerous now that they're here. I have to go. Watch over the City."

"Will do Robin, will do," Aqualad signed off. Robin pounded the bench in frustration. "How could they disobey me like this? I told them to stay in Jump City! Now what am I going to do? They're probably looking for me right now."

He remembered the press conference. He remembered after he was done answering reporters' questions and making his way towards the car where Detective Yin was waiting for him.

He remembered meeting eyes with someone in the crowd. Someone achingly familiar, he remembered catching a glimpse of flaming red hair and meeting the gaze of a young girl with green eyes...green eyes...emerald green eyes. The realization hit him like a bolt of lightening. That someone was Starfire!

Dressed in normal civilian attire he hadn't even recognized her! They were there in Gotham already? Dick Grayson about slapped himself. They had followed him that quickly? Starfire was the one who mainly worried about him, he knew that much; but to up and follow him without hesitation blew him away completely.

Dick Grayson now had more than one thing to worry about. Now he had to worry about protecting the city as well as protecting his friends, along with keeping his identity as the Batman a secret. He wasn't sure if the Titans knew what they were getting themselves into. Gotham was far more dangerous than Jump City, and the villains were much more sinister than the Amazing Mumbo, the alien Soto, and Cardiac.

The signal on the Batwave suddenly came to life, blaring loudly. He sighed, he had to put that aside, he had work to do.

Straddling the Bat Cycle, he floored it out of Wayne Manor into the awaiting darkness.

Meanwhile, the Gotham Police Department was having its own troubles. Detective Yin activated the Batwave, contacting Dick Grayson instantly. "Batman?"

"Yes Detective?" Dick Grayson, formerly Robin, now the Batman replied.

"We have a situation."

"What is it?"

"The museum's rigged to explode."

"Let me guess, the Riddler?"

"Bingo," she replied. "And no one's dared set foot in the place. Chief Rojas hates riddles and I barely survived my first encounter with him and all his puzzles."

"I see. I'm on my way," Batman replied.

"But Batman, there's already people inside the museum. They're trying to dismantle the bomb."

"WHAT?!"

"They call themselves the Teen Titans. They said they could dismantle it."

"When did they arrive?"

"15 minutes ago." Detective Yin looked up as Batman pulled up in his Bat Cycle. "You made it. Excellent."

"I need to find my friends. You said they were in the museum?"

"Yes, they are. Let's hope they make it out alive." Yin watched the Batman sprint inside the museum. She wondered what was going on inside.


After the press conference was over, the Titans climbed back into the T Car. "That was interesting," Beast Boy commented. "I guess there's more than one Robin."

"If that's true, then why didn't we know about it?" Vic Stone asked. "I mean, this is something we should know about, right?"

"I suppose so," Raven commented. "It just seems strange. Three Robins, it doesn't make sense."

"I do not understand either Raven, but if we can find Robin, our Robin, I am sure it will all be explained," Starfire said. "There must be some logical reason for Robin to come back here."

"That's all well and good Star, but where do we look?" Gar Logan asked."

"We start looking for the Batman," Raven said.

"The Batman?" Victor frowned.

"Yeah, Starfire heard Robin talking to that detective and she said that without the Batman the police are stuck. So if we can find the Batman he can tell us where Robin is."

"Good idea, Rae," Victor smiled. "So, how do we find the Batman?"

"Easy, we find the police. Where the police are, the Batman is also."

"You seem to know a lot about Gotham. How do you know so much?" Gar asked. Raven seemed to have an extensive knowledge of the place. She knew about Batman and many of his adversaries, where this information came from, he had no idea.

"My mother used to live here, and when I would see her when I lived in the dimension of Azarath she would tell me stories she heard when she lived there."

"So you have never met the Batman," Kory Anders said.

"No, I only know stories."

"Well we may meet him soon enough. We need to see what's going on over there," Gar pointed. "There are plenty of police officers."

"We have to change first. They won't like us meddling with their business if we're dressed in normal clothes." They pulled into a gas station. Jumping out, they all ran into the restrooms to change into their uniforms.

Soon, they were ready to go. Victor pushed a button and the normal looking car changed completely into the T Car. Victor had repainted the outside of the T Car, but he had cleverly discovered a way to make the outside of the T Car reversible so he could with the push of a button, transform his Baby entirely. They drove to where the police were stationed outside the museum.

"Hey kids, get out of here!" a man shouted gruffly. "This is no place for you!"

"We can help you if you'll let us!" Cyborg shouted in answer.

"Who are you? More freaks?" he spat back.

"We are not 'freaks'" Starfire shouted angrily. "We are the Teen Titans."

"Chief, they work with Robin," a lady said.

"Robin and Batman, all these freaks need to be locked away! I have no tolerance for freaks!" the man shouted at her angrily.

"Rojas, it isn't your place to say what policy is," the lady said.

"What? What do you mean by that," he asked, shocked.

"This memo was on your desk," the lady handed him a piece of paper.

"Detective Yin, if you think this is some kind of joke-" the man began.

"No, this isn't a joke, Chief," Detective Yin said. "You're being replaced."

"Replaced? By who?" Chief Rojas asked.

"By me," said a man's voice. The Titans turned to see a man coming towards him. He was a strong, powerful built man. He had a beard and slightly graying hair.

"James Gordon," Chief Rojas said through gritted teeth.

"Yes, it's me. And that's Commissioner Gordon to you, Rojas. Now if I were you I would I would let these young people help with our problem. I'm actually surprised the Batman hasn't shown up."

"You know the Batman?" Gar Logan, Beast Boy asked.

"Yes, and if I'm not mistaken, you four must be the Teen Titans."

"Dude! You know who we are?" he asked.

"Not exactly, I know about the Teen Titans because of Robin," the man smiled. "I'm Commissioner Gordon, this is Chief Rojas. I apologize for his behavior, and you are...?"

"I'm Cyborg," Cyborg stepped forward, "this is Beast Boy, Raven and Starfire...Robin's the leader but we can't find him."

"Well, it's very nice to make your acquaintance," Commissioner Gordon said. "This is Detective Yin," he gestured to the young woman beside him.

"You are Detective Yin!" Starfire exclaimed. "You are the one I heard on the phone!"

"You heard me on the phone?" Detective Yin asked, surprised.

"Only for a moment, I am sorry if I dropped the eaves, but I heard you say that without the Batman the police department is shot."

"That's true," Detective Yin smiled. Beast Boy noticed she breathed a visible sigh of relief. It seemed she was relieved about something. And it had to do with the conversation she had had with Robin. She frowned for a moment, "Excuse me, you said you 'dropped the eaves' on me?"

"YOU EAVESDROPPED ON ROBIN?!" all the Titans asked in shock.

"Yes, I did. I was worried. I could not help it."

"Well, ah, Starfire, don't worry about it," Detective Yin said. "As long as you don't do it again, you'll be okay in my book."

"Thank you, Detective. "I am sorry."

"You're forgiven."

"So, Commissioner Gordon what's the situation?" Cyborg asked.

"The museum's been rigged with a bomb," Commissioner Gordon explained. "None of our officers know how to dismantle it."

"That's bad," Raven commented.

"You got that right, kid. If there's any way you can help us, I would appreciate it."

"But Gordon, you can't just let these kids-" Chief Rojas protested.

"They are the Teen Titans. I know Robin personally and I'm sure that they can handle this just fine. I say let them try. It's better than what you've been doing, which is nothing but stand here!" he glared at Rojas.

Police Chief Rojas ground his teeth, muttering inaudible insults under his breath.

"Raven, take us in!" Cyborg ordered.

"You got it," Raven surrounded them in her dark aura and they vanished from sight.

"How'd she do that?" Detective Ellen Yin asked.

"No clue, Detective. Did you call the Batman?"

"I will Commissioner," Detective Yin replied. She hoped the Titans would be okay. If it was really the Riddler, then the Titans would have to be very careful. He wasn't a normal villain. He was a very clever one.

The Titans appeared inside the museum. Looking around, Cyborg spotted the rigged explosives immediately. "Well y'all, let's see if we can dismantle this thing."

"What's that over there?" Raven asked pointing to a keyboard stationed near where the explosives were.

"Look, there's something written on it!" Beast Boy leaned in close to the computer screen. "It's a message of some sort."

"When I am nothing, I am something, but when I am something I am nothing. What am I?"

"What the heck is it?" Beast Boy asked. "It makes no sense."

"It has to be something or it wouldn't be here," Raven said.

"Friends, I think I know what it is," Starfire said simply. "It is a-"

"-A riddle," came a voice from the shadows. The Titans jumped and prepared for battle. They assumed an offensive stance, ready to fight.

"Who are you?" Cyborg demanded to the voice in the dark recesses of the museum.

"It can wait, said the low voice. "The answer is the word riddle. Type it in quickly." The Titans did as the voice said and punched the word riddle into the keypad.

"You're right," another voice said, "Step into the light...so the Riddler can see you."

A bright light suddenly shown in the dark room, "Now who are you?" Asked a man whose face appeared on the screen. He had long dark hair and a tattoo.

"We're the Teen Titans," Cyborg said to the image. "And Riddler, we're going to take you down."

"Oh really," the Riddler asked. "I was hoping for a battle of wits...with the Batman."

"Too bad, the Batman's unavailable, what's all this about a battle of wits with us?" Cyborg said. "What do you mean by that?"

"I have rigged explosives all around the City," the Riddler said simply. "If you can dismantle all of them, then you win. You're to have no outside help from anyone. If I hear any squawking from the police or anyone else, I set off the detonation. You're first stop, Teen Titans, the Gotham Bridge." The screen shut off.

"Okay, now what do we do? I don't know my way around Gotham," Cyborg said in disgust.

"Raven, you heard of the Riddler before?" Beast Boy asked.

"Name rings a bell, but I don't know about him though."

"But I do," said the voice. The Titans turned around. A figure dropped to the floor. "Hurry, we haven't much time."

"The Batman?" Starfire asked in awe. The Batman nodded but remained silent.

"Follow me," the Batman ordered. "We have to get to the Gotham Bridge and dismantle the bombs."

"We're right behind you," Cyborg said.

They all ran out. Starfire caught a first glimpse of the Batman. He wasn't exactly what she was expecting, although he was powerful and mysterious, she noticed there was something that reminded her of Robin.

Detective Yin ran forward. "Hey, Titans!" They stopped and looked at her. "You may need this." She handed them the Batwave.

"The Riddler's still unable to hack into the Batwave's signal. He can help you without being spotted by the Riddler."

"Thanks, Detective," Cyborg took the Batwave from her. "Titans, go!"

They scrambled into the T Car and Dick Grayson straddled the seat of his cycle. His friends still hadn't figured out it was him behind the mask. He was surprised that the Titans had rushed so quickly to help the Gotham Police Department, the police weren't exactly willing to cooperate with them.

"Good luck guys," Detective Yin whispered. "Let's hope they can stop him."

The Bat Cycle and the T Car careened away from the museum. "Well, Batman, do you know where you're going?" Cyborg asked.

"Of course I do," was the curt reply. "I live here, remember?"

"Of course," Cyborg said. "Lead the way."

Batman pulled his Bat Cycle back far away from the Gotham Bridge. "I can't go with you. If Riddler sees me, it won't bode well for the rest of you. Use the Batwave to contact me. I will help you solve them, if you can do it yourselves, then feel free to have a go."

"Up ahead," Raven pointed. "There it is!" The Gotham Bridge was rigged with explosives.

"How do we halt these explosives?" Starfire asked.

"We have to solve the riddles, Star, let's hope you're as lucky as you were in the museum."

"Do your best, Titans, if you need me, use the Batwave." Batman ended the communication.

"Alright, Batman," Cyborg said. He pulled the T Car to a stop at the Gotham Bridge.

Climbing out of the T Car, they scrambled down to where the bomb was. "Well, here's another riddle. Let's see what it says."

"It is greater than God and more evil than the devil. The poor have it, the rich need it and if you eat it you'll die. What is it?"

"Dude, what could be greater than God?" Beast Boy asked.

"I am not sure," Starfire replied. "I am sure there must be a logical answer to the puzzle."

"Something greater than the devil...Trigon?"

"No, duh, Trigon can't be greater than God, the poor don't have him and the rich don't need him. You definitely can't eat him, stupid!" Cyborg whacked Beast Boy's skull hard.

"Dude, that hurt!" he shouted angrily.

"When I am something, I am nothing..." Starfire began softly.

"What'd you say Star?" Cyborg asked.

"It was a part of the other riddle," she said simply.

"The answer is the word nothing," Raven said. It has to be nothing. Nothing is greater than God, nothing is more evil than the devil, the poor have nothing, the rich need nothing and if you eat nothing you'll die."

"Nice work, Titans," Batman's voice came over the Batwave. "I couldn't have done better myself."

"Thanks," Cyborg said. "Wait, there's something on the screen." He waited. Onscreen, the Riddler appeared.

"Very good, Teen Titans, I see you figured out my first riddle. "Now onto your next location. Solve this one and you should figure out where the next bomb is."

"Another riddle?" Beast Boy groaned. "What next?"

"What always runs but never walks, often murmurs, never talks, has a bed but never sleeps, has a mouth but never eats?" The screen went blank.

"A river. It's a river. Gotham City Park," Batman's voice spoke through the Batwave.

"Dude, Gotham City has a river in the middle of a park?"

"Yes, we don't have time for solving every single riddle."

"You got that right, if we went at this pace, we could be out here all night."

"Quick, follow me to the park. I'll be watching but I can't be seen with you."

"Lead the way," Cyborg said.

"Does the Batman always have to deal with weirdoes like this?" Beast Boy asked.

"I think so," Raven said. "We don't have much time. We need to go."

Following the Bat Cycle to the Gotham City Park, Cyborg pulled the T Car to a halt.

"A park. Why would the Riddler want to blow up a park?" Beast Boy said, hopping out, he morphed into a bloodhound and began sniffing around. There was a gazebo filled with people sitting around enjoying some classical music.

"There it is!" Starfire said. She had spotted the explosive detonator that was rigged to the backside of the gazebo, hidden from plain sight.

"Come on, we need to be as quiet as possible. We don't want to alarm anyone." Cyborg motioned them forward.

"How do you know we won't set off the bomb?" Beast Boy asked.

"I have faith in friend Cyborg. We will dismantle it." Starfire stated confidently. The people sat calmly listening to the music. They were completely unaware of the danger they were in. "Should we warn them?"

"If we do, it will just cause unnecessary panic." Cyborg said.

"But what about the people?" Starfire asked.

"We'll just have to have faith that Cyborg and dismantle it," Raven said calmly.

"Dude, it's some kind of puzzle." Beast Boy frowned. "It looks kind of like a videogame. I could probably figure out this one."

"The way you play videogames, please!" Cyborg smirked. He began pushing the glowing square in the middle. Batman's voice suddenly rang through the Batwave.

"The button on the right..." and so began step-by-step instructions to dismantle the bomb. Beast Boy's teeth began chattering with nervousness while he bit his fingernails. After about a half an hour, they finished the puzzle.

"Excellent work, Teen Titans. I'm actually impressed." The Riddler said when they had finished.

"You'll be more impressed when we kick your butt!" Cyborg replied.

"Please, save your speech. I think it's about time you and your friends prove yourselves."

"Well where are you?" Cyborg demanded.

"I am somewhere, somewhere where things are destroyed and yet created. If you can find me, I will be waiting."

"The last bomb's at the recycling warehouse," the Batman's voice replied.

"Ah, Batman, I was waiting for you to show your face sooner or later."

"Hey, how did you know that he was-" Cyborg began.

"Why else would I send you and you're little friends on a wild goose chase? I wanted to distract the Batman. Knowledge is power don't you know that?"

"He's not even there he's at City Hall!" The Batman hissed.

"How do you know?" Raven asked.

"He's pulled this stunt before. You Titans should go shut down the bomb at the recycling warehouse. I'll find the Riddler."

"We'll be there as soon as we're done," Cyborg and the rest of the Titans ran or flew to the T Car. Soon they arrived at the factory. Rushing in they spotted the last explosive.

"I am something that is needed by all, but never thought about. I am something essential to life but am completely taken for granted. What am I?"

"We don't have time for this! Show us the answer!" Cyborg shouted.

"Dude, the air's so cold in here! Wait-the air! That's the answer! Punch it in, Dude." No one moved so Beast Boy typed in the answer. To his relief, the bomb dismantled itself. "Phew!" he breathed a sigh of relief.

"You're right of course," the Riddler's face appeared on a large screen. "Because that's what you'll be disappearing into!" The Riddler's voice said loudly as the floor began giving way. Starfire quickly grabbed Cyborg to keep him from falling through the floor, which suddenly gave way, revealing a bottomless chasm. Beast Boy morphed into a bird while Raven used her powers to lift off the floor.

"Come on, we have to get to City Hall! I should've known this was a trap!" The Titans ran back to the T Car and floored it to City Hall. Batman had given them directions.


Meanwhile, Dick Grayson sped back on the Bat Cycle towards Gotham City Hall. He figured out what the Riddler's plan was. He was downloading the information from the city's computer system. He had tried it before but he had been foiled by Bruce and Detective Yin. Why he would try it again, Dick had no clue.

He pulled up to City Hall. If he remembered correctly where to find the Riddler, he should have no trouble. 15 minutes later, the Titans pulled up in the T Car. "What happened?"

"The last riddle was booby-trapped!" Cyborg said. "The floor collapsed on us."

"I see. I'm glad you made it out." Batman looked at them. "Follow me, the Riddler's close."

He led them to a strange building. Ducking into the air vents, he motioned for them to follow. "Beware of the Riddler's Question Cane, it gives of energy blasts. He's also armed with gas pellets so be careful. He can put you to sleep before you know what hit you." The Titans nodded.

Dropping down to the floor, they waited. True to his word, there stood the Riddler in his hideout, hand on his Question Cane. "Welcome, Teen Titans. I am honored to finally meet such brilliant minds in person."

"See, he says I'm brilliant," Beast Boy said, looking at Raven smugly.

"A dork like him would call you brilliant," she replied. Beast Boy glared at her.

"Batman, how nice of you to drop by," The Riddler said.

"Enough games, Riddler. I know what you want, and I'm here to stop you!" Batman said, readying a Bat-a-Rang.

"What about them?"

"Us too," Cyborg said. "Teen Titans, Go!" The Titans rushed the Riddler. The Riddler smiled and twirled his Question Cane, sending a blast of energy in their direction. The Titans dodged and Batman joined the fray, kicking the Riddler.

Cyborg met another blast from the Question Cane with his own from his Sonic Cannon. The energies ricocheted off one another, bouncing all across the room. The Titans avoided them.

Cyborg met the Riddler head on, punching hard; the robotic Titan smashed his fist at the criminal mastermind. The Riddler ducked one blow and evaded another. He struck out with his Question Cane, which didn't do more than dent Cyborg's metal body.

Starfire flew overhead, sending a hailstorm of Starbolts at him. One sent him sprawling across the room. Scrambling to his feet, he blasted Starfire with his Question Cane; she used her Starbolts to deflect them, while swooping in low to avoid others.

"Tell me something," the Batman said as he evaded the blasts from the Question Cane.

"What would that be?" the Riddler asked.

"What's green and black and blue all over?" he said as he smashed a fist into the criminal's face.

"It doesn't matter," The Riddler hissed. "What matters is you. Are you single? Are you married? Are you wealthy? Are you wise? The identity of the Batman is the greatest riddle of them all!"

"You'll just have to contemplate that while you play shuffleboard in Arkham," The Batman said, flipping back, he spun kicked the green clad villain hard. Raven moved behind him.

"We'll put and end to your riddles soon enough. Azarath, Metrion, Zinthos!" Her black aura shot forth, seizing large chunks of the wall and hurling them at him. The Riddler managed to dodge the first but was pulverized by the second. Stunned, he staggered back.

Beast Boy morphed into a lion and slashed at the Riddler. He dodged only to be blasted by a Starbolt. Raven used her powers to pick him up and throw him at the Batman, who kicked him across the room. Removing a Bat-a-Rang, he hurled it at him, pinning him against the wall. Raven used her powers to make sure he stayed there. The Riddler tried to use a gas pellet but it was yanked away from him by Raven's powers.

Just then, a team of thugs burst into the room. Beast Boy morphed into a T Rex; roaring loudly, he sent them running. Cyborg blasted them with his Sonic Cannon as they tried to flee, and Starfire blocked their path, Starbolts ready to fly, terrified, they surrendered. Soon the Police arrived and placed them all in custody.

"Enjoy shuffleboard in Arkham," the Batman said as he vanished from sight before the Titans or the Riddler could say anything. The Titans were talking to Detective Yin and Commissioner Gordon, so they didn't see him as he slipped away.

"Thanks for your help tonight," Detective Yin said. "Listen, as long as you guys are in Gotham, we'll take all the help we can get, just ignore Chief Rojas. Any questions, take it up with Commissioner Gordon."

"You're welcome. But you should thank the Batman. Hey, where'd he go?" Cyborg looked around. But Dick Grayson, the Batman was long gone. Speeding off towards Wayne Manor, Dick Grayson felt he was ready for the task of being the Batman, and with his friends in Gotham he felt his job would be much easier, even if they had at first challenged his authority and disobeyed his orders to stay in Jump City.

He hadn't realized how hard it had been for Bruce, working alone mostly by himself in his crusade to keep Gotham safe. But Dick was different, he had a team, and they would help him take on whatever challenge ahead of them. He was secretly proud of his team. But he had to hide away from them, until the time was right.
Sign up to rate and review this story