Categories > Cartoons > Batman > Mantle

Chapter Five

by Slades_Downfall 0 reviews

The Titans continue their search for Robin as Dick Grayson fills in for Bruce at a charity dinner for Gotham Children's Hospital. Meanwhile, the Penguin decides to go on a crime spree.

Category: Batman - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover, Drama, Romance - Characters: Alfred Pennyworth, Batman, Beast Boy, Cyborg, James Gordon, Mr. Freeze, Penguin, Raven, Robin, Starfire - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2006-12-01 - Updated: 2006-12-01 - 5214 words

1Original
Chapter Five

"Master Dick," Alfred's voice said loudly in Dick Grayson's ears, "It's time to get up. It's 11 in the morning." Alfred Pennyworth's recent return from the hospital was a welcome one to Dick Grayson. Now he had a companion and ally in his campaign to fight crime in Gotham. Alfred, for the most part was his normal, chipper self, save for the arm splint he wore.

He had resumed his position as the caretaker and butler of Wayne Manor rather quickly. His injuries, although serious, weren't grave enough for him to have to remain at the hospital. Instead the doctors had sent him home the day that Dick Grayson took up the mantle of the Batman.

"Let me sleep, Alfred," Dick groaned beneath the sheets. "I'm very tired."

"Normally Robin would be wide awake for training practice," Alfred commented.

"Robin wakes up for training practice, but Dick Grayson wants to sleep in," Dick pulled the covers over himself and rolled onto his side.

"I'm sorry but I can't let you sleep Sir, but you are needed at Wayne Tower for a meeting concerning Wayne Industries/Enterprises."

"Oh, okay then," Dick forced himself to remain awake. "Is there anything else I should know?"

"Yes Sir, Master Bruce was supposed to host a charity dinner at the Gotham Children's Hospital. Since he can't make it he requests you go in his stead."

"Alfred, you know I'm not the hosting dinner party type person," Dick protested.

"I'm sorry Sir but this was planned long in advance and for weeks now, and to not have someone who represents the Wayne family there would be very bad for Master Bruce's reputation."

"But why me?"

"You are the heir of Wayne Industries Sir; you represent Master Bruce when he is unavailable, besides; it would draw unnecessary attention if you didn't show up, with the press coverage of your return and all."

"Okay, okay, I'll do it," Dick conceded. "What time's the dinner?"

"Tonight at seven, it should last only a few hours," Alfred answered simply. "And by the way, Mr. Lucius Fox wishes to see you when you arrive at Wayne Tower."

"Oh really, what for?" Dick asked curiously.

"I believe it had to do with research and development in Wayne Enterprises' scientific department."

"I see, well I'll meet with him right away, being the CEO of Wayne Enterprises must keep him busy." Robin got up and washed his face. Returning to his room he saw that Alfred had set out his clothes for the day. He put on the suit and tied his bow tie and lathered his hair in his favorite gel. Combing it back, he looked at himself in the mirror.

Alfred walked into the room. "How do I look Alfred?" he asked.

"Sharp as a pin, Sir," Alfred replied.

"Thanks," replied Dick with sincere gratitude.

"Breakfast is in the dining room, Sir," Alfred gestured to the room downstairs. "Just come down when you're ready."

"I look and feel ridiculous!" Dick admitted with a laugh.

"The CEOs at Wayne Enterprises will hardly think so," Alfred said. "They're expecting you to be like Master Wayne and handle all his affairs with grace, style and professionalism."

"Okay..." Dick said hesitantly. "Professionalism, I think I can do this." He went out and ate a hardy breakfast of eggs, bacon and hash browns.

"I've really missed your cooking, Alfred."

"Why thank you Sir," Alfred replied, flattered.

"At least you don't burn the food like Beast Boy does."

"I try not to Sir," Alfred laughed. Finishing breakfast, Dick went out to a nondescript motorcycle and drove to Wayne Tower.

Arriving at the building, Richard Grayson walked inside with confidence in his stride and determination in his eyes. He stopped by the receptionist's desk and announced that he was there for the board meeting. She told him to go right on in and that he was expected.

Arriving at the boardroom, he saw a smiling Lucius Fox waiting for him. "Mr. Grayson, we're happy to see that you have finally returned. How was your business venture in Jump City?"

"My business venture? I'm not quite sure what you mean..." Dick tried to cover his confusion. Lucius looked puzzled.

"Oh, Bruce said you were handling the affairs of Wayne Enterprises in Jump City, this is true, correct?"

"Yes it was, it's just been awhile since I've been back in the area," Dick Grayson realized what Bruce meant by "business venture", it was a cover up for him to be able to lead the Teen Titans and not be missed in Gotham.

"As you probably well know, there has been much debate and discussion on whether or not Wayne Industries/Enterprises should go public-"

"As Mr. Wayne has previously stated, he does not wish that the company his Father Thomas Wayne founded to go public. I respect Bruce's wishes on this matter and I do not grant permission to let this company to be liquidated."

"But, Mr. Grayson-" one of the CEO's began to protest.

"I have stated Bruce Wayne's wishes, and he does not want this company auctioned off to the greedy money grubbers that control Gotham."

"Now, Mr. Grayson, that's a little harsh," the man protested.

"No it isn't. I have made my decision. If anyone has any arguments, they can take it up with me later. And if you disagree with Mr. Wayne's wishes you can go to the Gotham Memorial Hospital and you can speak with him personally. Gotham has its share of greedy, power hungry individuals who would love to get their hands on Wayne Industries/Enterprises. Neither Mr. Wayne, nor I will let that happen." The man sat down.

"I do see your point in that," the man said.

"Thank you, Mr. Frederic's. Does anyone else have any questions for me?"

"No, but I would like to see you after the meeting to discuss some developments in my R and D in the science and tech labs of Wayne Industries/Enterprises."

"Of course, Lucius, I would be glad to see any new developments you've discovered. This meeting is adjourned." The CEOs got up from their seats and began filing out of the room, murmuring softly.

"Is Grayson crazy? He can't throw his authority around like that, we're his CEOs! We're supposed to help him make decisions, not just sit there and let him do whatever he wants with his company!" another man whispered loud enough for him to hear.

"Quiet man!" Mr. Frederic's whispered back. "Mr. Grayson represents Mr. Wayne's interests in these matters, so what he says goes!"

Dick Grayson caught up to Lucius Fox as the elderly CEO of Wayne Industries/Enterprises began the conversation. "So how is that equipment I gave you, is it enough for your spelunking?"

"Spelunking?" Dick asked.

"Your 'extreme sports' as you call it," Lucius leaned in close to Dick and lowered his voice. "I know what you do, I'm not ignorant, you know."

"What?"

"I know what you do, I've kept Bruce's secret as I keep yours, don't worry; it's safe with me."

"How did you know?"

"Well Bruce disappeared for seven years, showed up and asked for the equipment. When I saw the first appearances of the Batman, I put two and two together. Besides, it's hard for a man not to recognize equipment he researched and developed for over seven years."

"So, you'll be able to help me?"

"If you ever need anything mass produced for any reason at all, I can pass it through, no questions asked."

"Thank you, Mr. Fox."

"No, thank you Mr. Grayson, and do be careful."

"I will, Lucius, I will."


Dick Grayson made his way to the Gotham Police Department. He walked inside and waited for someone to notice him. "I'm here to see Lieutenant Jim Gordon."

"Actually that's Commissioner Gordon to you, Mr. Grayson," said Commissioner James Gordon with a broad smile as he walked into the room. "I heard you were back in town...because of Bruce and all."

"I've come back to make sure things are running smoothly," Dick Grayson admitted. "I actually came to see you to ask about what you know about who's behind this."

"Well, we know it was Bane who attacked Bruce in Wayne Manor. His motive why, he said it was because Bruce Wayne was the Batman, but why would the Batman be Bruce? It's not Bruce's style to run around in spandex tights and fight crime. It's just too incredible."

Dick looked thoughtful, "Do you believe him?"

"Hardly, the Batman was spotted in Gotham last night. Bruce Wayne is still recovering in the hospital. If Bruce Wayne was the Batman, there wouldn't have been a Batman sighting."

"How do you know this Batman sighting was legit?" Dick Grayson asked. It seemed he had returned just in the nick of time, before someone figured out Bruce was really the Batman.

"Detective Yin confirmed it," Commissioner Gordon replied. "It's him alright; the Batman is someone else, not Bruce Wayne."

Dick Grayson let out an inward sigh of relief. His ploy had worked, "So have you caught Bane yet?"

"No, we're working on it, Detective Yin's got a few good leads," Commissioner Gordon smiled. "Just let me know if you need anything, son; I'll help you find him."

"Thanks, this means a lot Commissioner," Dick Grayson got up to leave. "Thank you for your time."

"Don't worry about it." Commissioner Gordon walked out to his office as Dick Grayson left the building. A cell phone he had brought with him from Wayne Manor began to ring. "Hello, this is Grayson."

"Mr. Grayson, I was wondering if you might wish to come see my new improvements on the prototype for the Tumbler," it was Lucius Fox.

"But Mr. Fox, you gave me a Tumbler earlier this week." Dick Grayson said with a note of curiosity in his voice.

"I know, these new improvements can be added onto the existing model. The army still can't afford it and we're trying out prototypes for now."

"I'll be right there." He drove straight to Wayne Tower and headed for the Science and Technologies Research and Development Labs. He saw Mr. Fox waiting for him as promised.

"Mr. Grayson, I'm glad you made it," Lucius Fox smiled. He gestured to the hulking vehicle before him. This is a modified version of the Tumbler, the finest I've ever assembled..." he began to show Dick Grayson the modified engines and weapon systems, the advanced tires and GPS system. "All this can be added to the model I gave you. Of course, I'll have to bring the parts by Wayne Manor."

"That's fine, Lucius, just drop them off and I'll get them."

"Well, I guess you better be going, I heard about that Charity dinner Bruce was supposed to be at."

"I think I should, thanks for the update," Dick said gratefully.

"You're welcome." Dick Grayson turned and left.


"Dude, we so kicked Riddler's butt last night, that was almost too easy," Gar Logan said as he came out of the hotel bathroom fully dressed.

"You call driving all over Gotham City looking for crazy riddles easy?" Cyborg asked skeptically. "You obviously have never been here before."

"Come on, Dude, it can't be that bad can it?" Beast Boy asked.

"Oh yeah, it is, and if you thought the Riddler was psychotic, you haven't met the Joker." Cyborg said as he slipped on his holographic rings to hide his robotic appearance.

There was a knock on the door. "I'll get it!" Beast Boy shouted. Answering the door he saw Raven and Starfire standing there."

"Hello Friend Garfield, did you sleep well?" Kory asked.

"Sure did, and you?"

"It was glorious," Kory said. "Raven and I have had our rest."

"And I think it's time we eat some breakfast," Cyborg said. "Do you guys want me to get you anything, they have a breakfast bar downstairs."

"Some herbal tea," Raven said quietly.

"I don't think herbal tea is on the menu, I think it's just coffee."

"Fine," Raven said as she sat down on a chair in the boy's hotel room.

"How do you think we will find Robin?" Kory asked.

"I'm not sure, but we will look for him, but we need to contact the Batman so he can tell us where Robin is," Cyborg replied. "I'm going to get breakfast, I'll be back soon."

"I wonder how Robin did it for so long, fighting crime and knowing that these psychos always manage to escape even though he and Batman put them away," Raven wondered.

"I don't know, but now I know why he wants to take criminals down the way he does; did you see how Batman fought the Riddler?" Beast Boy asked.

"Yes, he's a vicious fighter, Robin learned from a great man."

Cyborg came back with breakfast, eggs and bacon for himself, Raven and Kory, a bowl fruit for Gar. "Hey, what's that you got there?"

"The Gotham Insider, it says that Dick Grayson's hosting a charity dinner for the Gotham Children's Hospital. Since Bruce Wayne's been hurt, he's hosting it for him."

"Okay, why's this important?" Gar asked.

"It's important because Robin, when he lived in Gotham, he protected Wayne Enterprises, he basically worked for Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson."

"So Dude, you're saying this Dick Grayson guy might know where Robin is since he worked for him, right?" Gar asked.

"Exactly," Vic said.

"So how do we find Dick Grayson?" Gar asked.

"Easy enough, we show up at that charity dinner as guests," Vic explained.

"Um, can we do that?"

"It says in the Gotham Insider that all guests are welcome and you just have to buy a ticket."

"So what will we do in the meantime?" Kory asked.

"That's easy, Kory. We go sightseeing." The Titans finished breakfast and Victor told the receptionist as the front desk they would return later that evening. Piling into the car, they began driving around, seeing what Gotham had to offer.

"There's the subway station," Cyborg said as they drove by large buildings with tracks leading away from them.

"It was built by Dr. Thomas Wayne as a way to give back to the City that had given him so much wealth. It was completed before his untimely murder," Raven explained. Kory looked startled.

"Murder? What happened to him?" Kory asked.

"The Wayne family was returning from an opera, and a man came and demanded money and jewelry, Dr. Wayne gave him the money, he didn't move fast enough with the jewelry and so, the man who's name was Joe Chill, shot him dead, a long with his wife, in front of their seven year old boy."

"That is so...horrible; it is incomprehensible what one must feel if one were to lose one's parents in such a manner. Did they find this Joe Chill?" Kory asked.

"Yes, they caught him, and sentenced him to 14 years in prison."

"For murdering two people, his sentence should've been double that!" Gar protested. "That's almost a slap on the wrist, Dude, that's not justice, that guy shoulda gotten the death penalty."

"You believe that Gar?" Kory asked.

"Yes, to see your parents murdered like that, anyone who would do that deserves to die," Gar said quietly. "Anyway Raven, what happened."

"Carmine Falcone was a well known crime boss back then; Joe Chill was going to give them information about Falcone to make his prison sentence shorter."

"That's a rip off," Gar Logan muttered.

"Anyway, Joe Chill is leaving the courtroom surrounded by press when this lady comes up to him and says "Falcone says hi," then she shoots him dead before he leaves the courthouse."

"Whoa," Gar said. "So what does this have to do with Dick Grayson?"

"Bruce Wayne adopted Dick Grayson after the Flying Graysons were murdered."

"How were they murdered?" Gar asked.

"They fell to their death...after someone cut the wires on the trapeze bars while they were performing their act..." Raven became thoughtful, "No, no, it couldn't be Robin, no."

"What did you say Raven?" Victor asked.

"Remember when Robin said he saw Slade? When he kept fighting someone who wasn't there? Do you remember when I asked him to let me see Slade?"

"Yeah," Victor nodded. "You said that he definitely saw Slade and the he was very real to him."

"Yes, but I saw other things...things I didn't tell you about."

"Like what?" Victor asked.

"I saw...a cave filled with bats and Robin's shadow in the light of a candle...but there was one more thing I saw, I saw a two parents fall to their deaths from a high wire trapeze."

"Dude, Raven are you saying that our Robin is Dick Grayson? The adopted son of that party boy, Bruce Wayne?" Gar asked. "I mean, what you saw seems to prove it."

"But one vision's not enough to prove our Robin is Dick Grayson, and don't call Bruce Wayne a party boy, he's done a lot of good here," Raven said adamantly. "There were a lot of people at Haley Circus. Robin could have been in the audience for all we know," Raven said. It didn't make sense for their Robin to be Dick Grayson, Dick Grayson was a rich kid, and a "party boy" Gar called him. He didn't need to be Robin; he had no motive to do so. Well, it seemed too coincidental.

"Well we'll find out soon enough, first we have to meet Dick Grayson at this dinner party."

"Wait just a minute Dude, isn't this a fancy dinner party?" Gar Logan asked.

"I think so," Vic frowned thoughtful.

"We don't have any fancy clothes," Gar pointed out.

"That's easy, we can rent nice clothes from somewhere," Vic said. "Speaking of time, that dinner starts at seven and its 2:30. We should probably start looking for clothes."

"But what will you wear, Victor?" Kory asked.

"I can adjust my holographic rings so it looks like I'm wearing different clothes," Victor explained. "That way no one knows I'm half robot."

"That is good," Kory smiled. Now to the clothing store of shopping to find fitting attire."

For the next two-and-a-half hours the four Teen Titans browsed the fancy suit shops for rental clothes that they could wear for the charity dinner. Eventually, they all found something, except Victor who could create his own holograms of extremely believable, realistic clothing. Kory found something very much like the Prom dress she had worn when she danced with Robin at the DATE WITH DESTINY DANCE, Raven had a very gothic looking dress and Gar had a purple tuxedo.

It was five o' clock, and they had two hours to kill. "So guys, what should we do now?" Gar asked.

"I don't know, we should probably make our way towards," Raven paused for a moment, "where did you say this charity dinner is being held?" she asked Victor.

"The Gotham Children's Hospital," Raven answered.

"We should probably get going; wow, look at the traffic!" Victor exclaimed as cars, vans, and trucks clogged the teeming roads of Gotham City. "We should have left earlier."

It was a long hour of bumper to bumper traffic. Victor was grinding his teeth with impatience while Gar was unsuccessfully trying to humor the girls by telling corny jokes. Finally, they arrived at the Gotham Children's Hospital. They were all surprised by how many cars were in the parking lot.

Climbing out, Kory noticed a peculiar man making his way towards the door. He was very fat, wore a fancy suit and carried an umbrella. He had a very sarcastic, rude disposition about him and Kory immediately disliked him. He went through the door, impolitely slamming the door behind him.

The Titans walked up to a small makeshift ticket booth where a man was collecting money from the guests. They paid for their tickets and walked towards the door. Kory noticed that the fat, rude man had no such ticket with him.

Victor walked up to the door and held it open for his friend and a man who was walking towards the door. "Thank you, young man," he said.

"Your welcome Mr...?"

"Fries, Dr. Victor Fries," the man said politely. Victor noted that the air seemed colder around him for some strange reason. He put the thought out of his head and followed his friends inside. Taking seats set up in the hospital cafeteria. Victor was surprised at how man children were present. The tickets weren't cheap but they weren't ridiculously expensive either. He knew the families of the children were paying medical bills and he wondered how they could afford it.

Sitting down, he leaned over and tapped a woman on the shoulder. "Excuse me, I have a question." The woman turned around to face him and Victor nearly betrayed his shock. It was Detective Yin! What was she doing here?

"What would that be?" she politely asked.

"Why are all the children here?"

"Bruce Wayne has generously paid for their tickets, he wants them to be here so others can see what he's raising money for. The thing is, he can't make it tonight, so Dick Grayson's hosting the dinner, he's still in his room recovering. He may contact us by video, though."

"Thank you," Victor said, turning back to his friends. He whispered to his friends, "Detective Yin's here!"

"Whoa! How did she get here?" Gar asked.

"Must have bought a ticket," Victor shrugged.

"Did you notice the fat, rude man who slammed the door when he walked in?" Kory asked.

"I did, that Dude doesn't need another dinner party, he looks like he ate a whole buffet already!" Gar laughed.

"Let's hope he didn't hear you," Raven muttered. It was seven o' clock; they spotted a young man walk in wearing a black tuxedo and a tie. It was Dick Grayson.

He wasn't like anyone they had seen before, his sky blue eyes held an intensity that they couldn't explain. He wasn't exactly the macho muscular type but he was strong in a different sense of the word, a nonphysical strength, an emotional power he exuberated that caught their attention.

He walked up to the podium and waited for the dinner guests to turn their attention to him. The room soon quieted as all eyes riveted their attention on him.

"Welcome," Dick Grayson began. "I'm glad you all could make it. As you can see, Mr. Bruce Wayne is not here tonight. He is recovering at the other hospital from his injuries he sustained when he was attacked by Bane."

He paused for a moment; then continued. "Since he could not be here with us tonight, I have come here to 'hold down the fort' as it were, in his absence. Besides, I can't think of anything better than raising money for a good cause." Actually I can, taking down Bane, but I can't say that can I? He thought as he tried to continue his speech.

The guests applauded for a few minutes, waiting it out, he decided to close it off so he could get out of there as soon as possible. Then it dawned on him that he might have to stay awhile as to not draw attention to himself. He groaned inwardly, but he continued speaking, "So please enjoy yourselves tonight. If there are any problems, just let me know." He stepped down as they applauded; he made his way towards a corner, scanning the faces of the crowd.

He noticed his friends sitting next to the table where Detective Yin sat. He figured they were there looking for Robin. He wondered if they linked the fact that he was Robin so quickly. If he got the chance to speak to them, he as sure he would find out.

Gar, Raven, Victor and Kory all enjoyed the dinner. Whoever catered the food had excellent cooks. Fortunately, there was enough salad and veggies to satisfy Gar, who complained that eating meat was an abomination to the animal kingdom.

"Friend Victor, I have a question," Kory began.

"What's that Kory?" Vic asked.

"Why did I not see any obvious criminal activity? Gotham is notorious for its criminals and crime but I did not see a lot of it during the day, why?"

"Well, Gotham's known for its crimes because they mainly take place at night. Although there's plenty of it during the day; I'm surprised we didn't actually see any of it."

"Thank you Victor, I am going to go up for seconds," Kory Anders rose from her seat to go get something to eat.

She had quietly gone up for seconds, standing patiently in the eternally long food line when she was rudely butted out of the line by the fat, impolite man she had seen slamming the entrance door before they had come in.

"I am sorry, but I believe that was my place in line," she said in a polite tone to the fat man.

"We Cobblepots are the richest family in Gotham, naturally the richest should be first in line," the man who had called himself "Cobblepot" said indignantly.

"But I thought Bruce Wayne was the richest man in Gotham," Kory said, puzzled.

"That's what a lot of people say, kid."

"Still, I insist that I have my place in line," Kory insisted with equal indignation. "Just because you are rich does not mean you have to be rude!" The man called Cobblepot whirled around to face her. His face was a dangerous shade of red.

"Now listen to me, you little brat, if I want to take your place in line, I can! Now get out of my way!" He raised his umbrella as if to strike her, Vic, Raven and Gar jumped up from there places, ready to rush to her aid. Suddenly, she saw a hand reach out and touch Cobblepot's shoulder.

"Oswald Cobblepot, what a pleasant surprise," Dick Grayson said in a voice that was very sarcastic. "Enjoying the dinner?"

"It doesn't matter, Grayson!" Cobblepot snapped.

"Is something going on here?" Dick Grayson asked.

"He butted me out of the line," Kory admitted.

"That's very rude, you know," Dick Grayson said. "By the way, where is your ticket Cobblepot? A man as respectable as yourself should be happy to donate to a good cause." Kory noted the extreme amount of sarcasm when he said the word "respectable".

"I don't need a ticket, Grayson; I can do whatever I want!" Oswald Cobblepot snarled angrily.

"Oh, so you didn't pay a ticket. I'm going to have to ask you to leave, and don't I don't want to catch you bothering her again."

"Or you'll what? Call the cops on me? What else could you do? Fight me yourself? Who do you think you are, Robin the Boy Blunder?" For a moment the two men locked gazes.

There was fire in Dick Grayson's eyes as he said, "Get out. If you don't leave peaceably, I'll have security escort you out."

Kory saw Cobblepot back down. Snarling, he said, "Fine Grayson, but you haven't seen the last of Oswald Cobblepot!" He turned around and stormed out of the room, huffing angrily.

"Are you alright, Ms...?" he asked politely. He had no idea what name she would use to cover up her identity as Starfire.

"Kory Anders," she said, taking his hand in a firm handshake. "You must be Dick Grayson, whom I have heard many things about."

"Well, I hope they were good things," Dick Grayson laughed. "Do you live here?"

"No, I live in Jump City, I am just here to sightsee and I am looking for someone."

"Oh, and who would that be?" he asked, although he knew the answer immediately.

"It can wait, I wish for you to meet my friends," she led him over to a nearby table where very familiar faces awaited him. Cyborg, he knew was probably using his technology to cover his robotic parts. Beast Boy looked the same, although he nearly laughed out loud at his purple tuxedo. Raven looked very normal in her Gothic clothing. Although Dick Grayson was surprised at how stunning Starfire, "Kory Anders" looked in her dress. It reminded him of the time they'd danced together at the DATE WITH DESTINY Prom dance.

"Mr. Grayson, I would like to introduce you to Victor "Vic" Stone, Garfield "Gar" Logan and Raven Roth."

"It's nice to meet all of you," he shook their hands. It seemed odd to be introduced to his best friends, but he didn't let it show. "Kory tells me you're here looking for someone. Who is it?"

"Robin," Kory said simply. "He came back and we wish to find him."

"He came back, did he? Hmm...well I haven't seen him. If I find him I'll let you know." He turned to leave. "It was nice meeting all of you." He left. Victor gave Kory an angry look.

"Did I say something wrong?" she asked, confused by her friend's anger.

"You told him why we were here!" Victor asked angrily.

"He seems trustworthy," Kory protested. "I do not think that he would tell anyone else."

"You can't trust anyone here, Kory! Don't you get it? Gotham's very dangerous and many people, who say good things, do not always do good things, a lot of people here are liars and all they care about is themselves!"

Unbeknownst to Victor, Dick Grayson stood a short distance away, listening to the entire conversation. He felt angry that his friend should think he was a liar. When the time came to tell him the truth he would set him straight about it.

"I believe he is good, and I believe Mr. Bruce Wayne is also good," Kory said simply. "You should not judge a person just because they have a lot of money."

"I'm not saying Dick Grayson's bad, Kory. I'm just saying that you have to be careful about what you say to other people. Just then, Dick Grayson began calling for the guests' attention.

"Bruce Wayne wishes to speak with all of you in gratitude for what you have done," Dick Grayson said as he pushed a button on a remote that turned on a large television set.

"Hello Ladies and Gentlemen. I can't talk long, I'm sorry, I'm just too exhausted. For those who were wondering how I am, well, I'm recovering to say the least. I want to thank Dick Grayson for hosting the charity dinner for me. I've heard that it was a great success. So I thank you all and I hope next time I will be able to be with you in person." The screen went blank as the audience applauded.

Dick Grayson made his way out of the room and pushing a button on the Batwave, he summoned the motorcycle to him. He snuck into the bathroom and changed into his Batman uniform. It was going to be a long, hard night. He hoped his friends would find him again. He greatly appreciated their help and if Oswald Cobblepot, the Penguin was going to take out his anger on someone, it would be the Batman. He knew the Penguin was very dangerous. But he knew that he and the Titans could take him down.
Sign up to rate and review this story