Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Curious Case of Luna Lovegood

Black Night, Red Dawn

by Marvolo666 0 reviews

I used to speak to the Moon and think you could hear me. I used to look at the stars and every time one twinkled I thought it was you giving me love and luck. Now the sky is black, no stars, no moo...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Harry,Luna,Umbridge - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2017-03-05 - 5308 words - Complete

0Unrated
"It's a girl."
The very moment she heard her crying, Pandora knew her life had changed forever. She couldn't help but smile warmly as her heart was torn in two. It had been similar the day Xenophilius had gotten married. She truly felt happy for him, from the bottom of her heart. Yet at his happiness grew she could not stop the pain of knowing she was still alone. She remembered her creed very well, the individual walks alone. Pandora could count on one hand the people in her life she cared for, and they would never give her the happiness Xenophilius was experiencing.
At first Pandora was here to support her childhood friend, but as the day drew closer, Xeno's wife had asked for her professional assistance. Pandora was no healer but her work as an Unspeakable, allowed her to cast spells even the Healers could not comprehend.
"Pandora, isn't she beautiful," Pandora shook herself out of her musings and looked into the teary eyes of her best friend. Xenophilius was beside himself as he held the new born in his arms. "I'm a Father Pandora, I'm a Father!"
Pandora giggled. "Yes I can see that. If the Healers are done, I need to do my own check up on the baby...girl."
The baby had dark matted hair and a strange look in her brown eyes. Pandora had to admit that she looked like her father's child but there was no mistaking the Mother.
"Ahem"
Pandora jumped as she turned and spoke quickly. "My...My...apologies Mrs. Umbridge. I'll get right to it."
Pandora couldn't look her in the eyes, they always terrified her. She could never understand how eyes could be so vacant. At least Delores kept her maiden name. It was strange, another working for your friends wife, but she didn't think she could handle calling her boss, Mrs. Lovegood.
Pandora whipped out her wand and carefully placed the newborn on the table. Xenophilius spoke up hesitantly. "Are you sure we should be doing this, casting magic on the child can damage their souls."
"Xenophilius, if you are going to speak, use words that make sense. I won't tolerate you spouting rubbish in front of the child."
Pandora and Xenophilius flinched at the woman's coldness. Pandora never understood Xenophilius, wondering how he ended up married to this woman. Pandora herself wondered how she became her employee. As she looked at the wide eyed child at the end of her wand, she prayed the child never became like her Mother.
The wand started flashing as Pandora announced her findings to the room. "The infant is female and was born at 10:37 PM on February 14th 198..."
"Skip protocol, if I don't want to hear rubbish we already know!" Umbridge snapped with a surprising amount of volume for someone who just gave birth. Umbridge definitely was weak but that only seemed to make her...friendlier than usual.
"PANDORA!"
"Yes Ma'am," Pandora uttered under her breath as she continued her work. "The child seems fine, highly intelligent, IQ of 144. She'll be short though, only 5.2 feet to be precise. Her hair won't turn grey until her 90's, she has the potential to live up to 150, so about average for a Witch or Wizard. Make sure she eats high amounts of vegetables when she's turns 5 so she doesn't get scurvy. Oh and she will get cancer in her life time so just buy her the potion to give to her when she turns five at the earliest. Should keep her immune for the next three decades at least."
"And after that?" Xenophilius asked as he smiled over Pandora's shoulders.
"She takes another potion, she'll be fine." Pandora replied turning to look at Xenophilius. "I understand that you're already in love with her but I can't do my job with you hovering over my shoulder."
"There is a war effort going on." Umbridge replied frustrated from her bed. "Those Potions are expensive and the Healers haven't been very cooperative in years."
"You influenced the Wizengamot to reduce their budget, what did you expect." Pandora said to her...well not out loud but she thought it. What she did say was. "You are more than well off, I 'm sure you can afford the potion even in these desperate times."
Umbridge did not answer, only nodded for her to continue. Pandora raised her wand. "No Colic so you should get some sleep. Dragon Pox treatments will not be necessary. Magical levels an impressive 35, carry the magical numbers...multiply with-self... that leaves her with 1444, interestingly the numbers add up to 13...also magical number, albeit an unlucky one. Now multiply that with her exterior magical aura...oh..."
Pandora frowned as she cast the spell again. Umbridge noticed the confusion and spoke up. "What... What is it?"
"I'm not detecting her aura...give me a second...still nothing. 1444 multiplied by 0...is zero." Pandora uttered as she looked sadly at Xenophilius.
"You mean she's..."
"A Squib!"
Pandora nodded somberly. "Unfortunately yes, I'm sorry Xenophilius."
There was a moment of stunned silence before the baby started to cry. Pandora softly picked up the baby before placing her in her Father arms. Xenophilius looked at his baby with sad eyes. Pandora whispered. "She'll be fine, she's still your daughter,"
Xenophilius nodded as a smile appeared on his face. "I know, I just worry. Oh Merlin I'm worried already and she's hardly five minutes old. You still need a name. What should I call her..."
"Ha." Umbridge huffed as she struggled to her feet, quickly thinking better of it and reluctantly returned to her seat.
"You want to name it? "Umbridge laughed with anger. "You want to give the Squib a Name."
Xenophilius blanched at Umbridge's words while Pandora replied without thinking. "She's a human being and your daughter."
"How Dare you!" Umbridge screeched glaring at the infant in a way that made Pandora shiver. "That...That thing is not my Daughter. It's a Halfbreed at best."
"DOLORES!" Xenophilius hollered causing the baby to start wailing.
"Great, now it's crying." Dolores hissed venomously. "Pandora, dispose the creature"
"What?! NO!" Xenophilius cried out trying to reach for his wand while holding his daughter protectively. "You can't hurt my daughter."
"There will be other daughter's, real daughters that are actually human!" Umbridge sighed with frustration. "Pandora, kill it and make it fast before it gives me a migraine."
Pandora started speaking quickly, suppressing her desire to cast all three unforgivable curses. "Xenophilius can take care of her, you don't need to have anything to do with her."
Xenophilius looked at his wife, as if he was seeing her for the first time, before slowly nodding to what Pandora had said.
Umbridge shook her head. "I don't want anything to do with it, if I let you keep that thing as a pet someone will trace it back to me. I can't afford to be the Mother of a Squib. It's embarrassing, it's disgraceful, it's for the best that this remains with the two of us and that the creature is considered to be the miscarriage that it is."
"NO!" Xenophilius shouted.
Umbridge looked at him coldly before speaking. "I can always have the child examined by the Unspeakables. They will do a far more...thorough job than your friend here. I admit, I always was curious what the inside of a Squib looks like. They will take her from you by force, and they will hurt you as well."
Xenophilius was shaking as he tried to find a way out of his living nightmare. Pandora reached out for the child and Xenophilius flinched away holding his daughter protectively. Pandora raised her hands slowly while looking to his eyes. "Trust me Xeno."
Xenophilius slowly handed the child over to Pandora, the two never breaking eye contact. Pandora held the now silent baby in her arms, before she broke eye contact. "Go...I don't want you see this."
"What?!" Xenophilius gasped as two Unspeakables seemed to come out of thin air and began to drag him out of the room. Pandora was used to this happening in the Department of Mysteries, though her heart broke at the sound of her friend's cries.
"Well...be done with it." Dolores ordered as the baby's eyes looked up and met Pandora's.
"Seems like such a waste." Pandora spoke wistfully not taking her eyes off the child.
"Useless things can't be wasted." Umbridge said with contempt. "That's why it's trash
Pandora struck at the opening chance, meeting Dolores gaze. "Yes but one man's trash is another man treasure."
Umbridge stared her down before speaking. "Go on..."
"What you were saying about experimenting on the girl, I know that was a threat but there are other ways to...examine her without the...I Mean..."
"What's your plan Pandora." Umbridge asked, losing her patience
"Magic." Pandora blurted before speaking excitedly. "Yes..Yes magic. You know my abilities, give the child to me and I'll make a Witch out of her. I can't promise success, but as far as I'm concerned we have yet to truly study magic as a...thing. Let me try and give her magic, let me do what I do."
Umbridge was clearly intrigued. "Take her to your office, make sure no one knows of this. Pandora I'm classifying this as code black. No record, no knowledge. Legally the Squib does not exist and I suffered a miscarriage. The stress of which caused the abrupt end of my marriage."
"What?" Pandora asked.
"Well he thinks the Squib is a child, I don't think he's too fond of me right now." Umbridge giggled. "As it is, he is obsolete. I don't think I'll need another husband for quite some time. Are you still here? Go before someone sees the creature. I'm going to be obliviating half my staff before the day is done, or at least have someone else do it...send my healer back in."
Pandora didn't need to be told twice as she ran from the room...

"Harry..." Luna whispered softly.
Harry looked her in the eyes and new words were not needed. Together they left the pensive, returning to the room of Xenophilius' study. The room seemed gold, and the painting of Newt Scamander seemed to bow his head in shame.
Harry felt Luna's hand break free of his grip as she started for the door. Harry reached out for her shoulder. "Luna..."
"You were right, it was too soon." Luna replied softly. "Maybe it is best that I never see the past. I know the truth."
Harry turned Luna to look her in the eye. He could see her un-shed tears as he spoke. "Luna, I don't care what anyone says. That woman isn't your Mother."
"I don't care if she's my...I care about who isn't." Luna choked on her tears.
Harry tried to pull her into his arms but she moved away. "Luna...your Mother..."
"My Mother wanted me dead. The woman who shares my blood thought me a thing to be disposed of. Why, because I'm a Squib! My mother abandoned me into the care of a mad woman who made me a freak."
"Luna you surely can't believe that." Harry insisted trying to reach her.
"I trusted her...and now daddy's gone." Luna looked as if she would burst into tears but instead she just gasped and remained silent:
Harry opened his mouth to speak but found himself at a loss for words. He had lost so much in his life, yet no words could ever reach him...Only hers. "He wasn't my Father, but he was as close as I've ever had to one. When he died, you told me that the ones we love never leave us, they are just beyond the veil. Your Father's not gone, he's still here in your heart."
Luna looked like she wanted to hug him but resisted, lowering her eyes as she took another step back. "Don't make this harder..."
Harry took another step forward and Luna took a step back, turning to the door.
I need to bury my father, and I need to do this alone. Sometimes you have to do things alone. You understand don't you Harry?" Luna whispered as she looked over her shoulder and gave Harry a pleading look with tearful eyes.
Harry could not help but feel he was looking at a child, yet she wasn't. She had seen too and lost too much. Harry felt like she should disagree. That he should stop her from leaving the room, but he knew from experience that she was right. He slowly nodded. "I understand, just be careful. I'll be here when you are ready, I'll look through the memories myself and help you through them tomorrow...I'm here for you Luna, I always will be."
Luna opened her mouth to say something, but instead she ran out of the room. Leaving Harry standing there, feeling utterly lost.
Harry looked at the pensive, remembering his words, and dove back in. Ignoring the ice that clutched his heart and the shadow in his mind...

It wasn't easy, without magic. Luna struggled to her father up the slanted stairs. She carried his body on her small shoulders. Each step was murder, her heart hurting every way possible. His legs would catch on every step forcing her to pull even harder to reach the final step. When she finished Luna couldn't help collapse from exhaustion and grief. Luna's eyes hardened with determination as she stood with strength she did not know she had and stood on shaking legs, her Father's body on her back.
Luna carried him to the door and found it open on its own. Luna closed her eyes as she heard the fluttering of wings. A voice softly croaked. "You will need our help Moon child."
Luna glared at the Nargles, spitting at them as she struggled past them. The freezing wind bit at her face. Each step felt like death as her feet sucked deeper into the snow. The Nargles floated in her vision but she ignored them. It must have taken hours as she slowly dragged her Father up the hill. Another Nargle cackled. "It would be easier with magic Luna."
"Leave me alone." Luna moaned as she took another labored step. The light in the sky had long since vanished into night. "Why was he scared of you, why did you have to frighten him," she said.
"We frightened him more than you think child."
"Aναρχία, of all the stupid...we all have parts to play Luna. You wanted to finish the Moon Mother's work and we helped remove and obstacle." Anarchiam hissed.
"My Father was not an obstacle!" Luna cried out. As she stumbled in the snow, grunting as she rose to her feet again.
"No but your ignorance was. Now that you know the truth, you will do what needs to be done. You will finish Pandora's mission" Anarhie spoke deeply.
"Well to Hades with her mission, to Hades with magic, to Hades with Nargles!" Luna shouted as she plowed on. The Nargle's seemed to vanish after that but the pain remained.
Finally she found it, the lone flower in the snow, as yellow as ever, even in darkness. Luna finally dropped her Father's body. Luna began to dig deep into the snow with her bare hands. She could feel them burn from the cold. Luna ignored the pain as best she could as she reached the frozen earth. Luna realized right away that her hand would break before she could bury them in the earth. Luna started striking the ice with her fist before she broke down into tears.
Luna felt a warmth drape over her and for a moment she knew Harry was there for her. She turned only to see a shovel digging a hole by itself. Luna shook her head sadly. "Thanks."
"Foolish girl, you were on the verge of losing your hands to the cold." Anarhie said in a tender voice. "Maybe your father would still be alive, but in death he became the man he was meant to be. Now it is your turn to be what you are destined to become."
Luna did not answer, she just close her eyes and let her mind drift. She remembered the better times, when life was simple, the world wasn't upside down, and when she had a family.
Luna opened her eyes when she sensed the hole was dug. With her remaining strength she lowered her Father into the earth. Closing his eyes as she whispered. "Good night Father, thank you for being so wonderful to me. I'm sorry I took you for granted. I love you, I'll see you when my mourning ends."
Luna crawled out of the grave as the Nargles poured the dirt on top of him. Luna stopped them before they were done and whispered weakly. "I need a seed, a flower for dad, so he can be with mo...Her."
Anarhie lifted his hand and with his long fingers drew a small circle in the dirt. With a snap of his fingers a seed appeared in the ground. He motioned with a finger to Luna to come to him and she obliged. The Nargle took her hand and whispered in a deep gravelly voice. "Rest your hand over the seed, offer it some warmth. Then say the words, and you will see there is magic in you yet."
Luna let the Nargle place her hand in the dirt and she felt a calmness overcome her. She closed her eyes and said the words.
She raised her hand and gasped as a flower grew in its place. It was dark purple and looked black in the night. Anarhie grinned. "When the light appears, the flower will look brilliant next to your Mother's. Yellow and purple always looked spectacular together, as if they were made for each over. These flowers were made for one purpose, to honour the lives of two lovers who died too young. We all have our purposes, I shall leave you to figure out your own."
Luna asked weakly. "You know what I should do, tell me"
The Nargle laughed sadly. "I know what you should do, but it might not be right for you to do."
Without waiting for a reply the Nargle disappeared into the snow. Luna wandered over to the yellow daisy and as she collapsed to her knees, she spoke softly. "Hello Mother, if that is what I should call you. Or do I call you Pandora."
Luna looked up into the night sky. "I used to speak to the Moon and think you could hear me. I used to look at the stars and every time one twinkled I thought it was you giving me love and luck. Now the sky is black, no stars, no moon...nothing but darkness. I guess they've abandoned me too."
Luna looked at the flower and closed her eyes. "I thought you were special, you weren't just my Mother, you were my hero. Was I wrong about that too. Would it matter if I plucked this flower? Would you feel it? Are you really here...or is this just a silly little flower? Am I meant to finish your work or do your bidding? Am I going to make a difference, or am I just a foolish little girl?"
"Why didn't you tell me the truth. You could have told me, you should have told me. I trusted you. You were a seer, you knew things. Did you know how much this would hurt me, did you know what would happen to father. Do you know what will happen to me, does it matter to you. Am I just an experiment. Are all of them right, am I a Monster?" Luna cried out.
"You and I have caused so much damage. We've triggered a war, we've caused death. I don't want to hurt anybody, but people are dying for my name. Your, mission, my words have allowed that women to seized power and is destroying the freedom of Magical Britain. "All this for magic?" Luna asked, her voice breaking as she looked at the light-less sky.
"When I first realized I had magic, I didn't care, it only hurt me more. You were dead and now I had magic. What did I want magic for. It wouldn't bring me friends or a mother. It would only..." Luna stumbled off at a loss for words. "It would only remind me what it cost me, I wished on stars every night, and they repaid me by turning my dream into a nightmare."
"I have tried to follow your work my whole life. I swore I would finish your work and make the world a better place. I wanted to be a hero, like you, liked Beethoven, like Gandhi and all the other people you told me about. I've tried to finish your work for three years, seems like thirty. Maybe it was only Months. I don't know what's real anymore, if anything in Xanadu was real. I think I'm going mad...I bet you knew that too."
"When this journey first began, I was so happy, in love and inspired. Now I'm sad and tired. I don't know why I'm doing this anymore. Tell me why, please answer me. Why should I...I can't finish what I've started. I'm too weak. I am on my last spark of magic and I can't even use it anymore. I can't...I can't do it without Magic. I'm out of time...unless..."
Her eyes darkened as she looked at the flower. "You know I know what you would have me do, what I must do but I can't. Father said so himself. Magic and love have always been linked. Love is what I lost when Mother gave me Magic. Now love is what I must forsake, to get my powers back. The only reason I've been able to make it this far, is the one thing holding me back. You want me leave Harry, he's all I have left and you would have me leave him."
"My Magic's not worth it, nothing is! I would rather be a Squib! I love him, doesn't that mean anything to you. I've lost you, I lost Father, I can't lose him too! Especially not him! He's...He's..."
Luna looked up and smiled. "The clouds in the sky must have parted a little, for there he is. See that star Mom? That's Harry, a light in the darkness. Bringing happiness to all that sees it. He has always been that, a hero, a leader, a beacon of hope, a symbol to all that's good. To me he's just a boy who showed me I didn't have to be alone. That I could be as happy as any other soul. I don't want to be alone anymore. If I left it would break his heart, it would shatter mine."
Luna shook her head has her voice rose. "I can't do it, I won't do it, I will never leave him you hear me!. Why should I?! I don't have to listen to you anymore, you're not my Mother! I had to bury my own Father because of you. I thought you loved him! I thought you loved me!
Luna could no long hold it in. She heaved with grief as she let out an anguished heartfelt cry, "WHY DON'T YOU LOVE ME!"
Luna burst into tears sobbing into her freezing hands dropping to her knees. She wasn't sure who she had said that to, the women who lied or the Mother that disowned her. Luna crumble in on her else, doubt consume. She practically prayed to the yellow as her future was balanced on an edge.
"Remind me what I'm fighting for, what I'm suffering for. Give me one reason why I shouldn't run away with Harry and I swear I will finish your work. Just give me one reason." Luna was startled by the red light creeping across the sky. "Is it dawn already...Is that supposed to be a sign. It's darkest before the dawn, is the darkness over, am I free to leave with Harry?"
There was no answer...
Luna sighed as she close her eyes. She couldn't help but laugh coldly as she muttered dryly. "I'm talking to myself, I really must be Loony."
Luna stood up and started to walk away. She had moved no less than seven feet when she looked over her shoulder. She didn't know what she was expected to see but something about the two flowers caused her to stop. They really did seem to be made for each other. One, a strong violet purple, standing out from the white snow, the other, as yellow as the sun. In the red light of the rising sun they seemed to shine together. Luna slowly approached and wanted to believe her eyes, as the light made the flowers look connected, like long lost souls finding each other after so long. Luna pondered this and realized it was true.
"Father had faith in you, that you would lead me right. He trusted you with all his heart. I want to believe you, I want to believe that you love me but I don't know what to believe anymore. I feel old." Luna looked at her hands as a thought struck her.
"I am not old, but I'm not a child anymore. Nothing is making me do this, you never made me do this. You did not ask me to take up your mission, you did not ask a thing from me. I did take up the task. I caused this pain, not you. This mission and everything that's happened has resulted from my actions, my choices. My foolishness..."
"No, I had good reason. I wanted to help the Muggles, I wanted to help the Squibs. I wanted to stop the hate, the war, the fighting. I wanted to cure diseases and move the people of the world to a magical utopia." Luna's eyes hardened as fire lit her eyes. Shouting defiantly Luna cried out. "So the world could be a better place. A World where we are not divided, but united. A world which values love and happiness over greed and ambition. A world where nothing is impossible, were any dream can be fulfilled no matter how crazy it seems."
Luna took deep breaths as she continued. "This is my quest, not magic. This is my purpose, not because of you, but because it is who I am. I have a chance to do this and nothing will stop me. Not Umbridge, Not Pandora, Not Shacklebolt, Not Donovan. I will finish this journey no matter where it takes me, no matter how dark it gets, No matter what happens to me. Not even if it costs me my life, my happiness or my sanity. I will make the world a better place. As long as people keep pursuing this quest, even if it's just a lonely girl like me. The world will be a better place for it."
Luna half ran and half fell down the snow covered hill as she rushed back to the rook shaped building. "Get ready world, get ready for the dawn."
Luna burst into the house and ran up the stairs, blood running through her veins, she felt unstoppable, invincible. She burst into her father's study and was greeted with the sight of Harry passed out by the Pensieve. He looked as though he had been up all night, waiting for her to return. Luna felt her energy leave her, and her heart trembled with pain. Luna remembered what she needed to do.
Luna lifted Harry onto her shoulder. He murmured her name as she helped him into her room. Harry was hardly walking but it was enough, though he collapsed into her bed. Luna gently rolled him onto his back and lifted his feet onto the mattress. Luna grabbed some extra blankets and placed them over him as he slept. She took off his glasses and crawled onto the bed and held Harry through the covers.
Luna cried soundlessly as she softly caressed his head with her hand, relishing this last moment of closeness with him. She whispered, knowing he couldn't hear her. "I thought I was invincible, I thought I could do anything. I refused to listen to what you told me, what Father said. I wish I could stay here, holding you, loving you for the rest of our lives, I wish we were back in Xanadu, were nothing else matters but our love and happiness. I have to finish this, and I have to do this alone. I can never repay you for all you have done for me. I hope I won't be gone long, but I fear I will never see you again. I..I must give so much...there might be a dawn but without you, my life shall always be night. That isn't what hurts the most though. What hurts, is knowing the pain this will cause you. I'm sorry Harry, please don't hate me."
Luna leaned forward and kissed Harry on the lips. Harry whispered in his sleep. "Love you Luna."
Luna felt the tears run down her cheeks as she whispered back. "I love you too, so much."
Luna rose from the bed walked to the door. She open it and turned around and looked at Harry, memorizing him like this, peaceful and happy a smile still on his face from her kiss. Luna felt her throat clench as she uttered. "Goodbye Harry, I'll never forget you."
Luna shut the door and didn't look back.

Three hours later the sun was up high in the sky and the light shone through the window of Luna's room. Harry groaned as he woke up, rubbing his eyes from the sun. His eyebrows frowned before his eyes were even opened. He realized he had somehow ended up in bed. Luna must have tucked him in...Yet something wasn't right...
The house seemed quiet as Harry entered Xeno's study. He was expecting to see Luna dipping her head into the Pensieve, witnessing the memories he had seen last night. So Harry was rather startled to see that Luna was not only absent from the room, but the Pensieve was missing too.
The house was definitely empty as Harry ran down the stairs, calling Luna's name. The living room, the study the kitchen, the random empty room Harry didn't know existed. Luna was definitely not in the house. Then Harry ran outside, hoping Luna would be...but she was not there. There were footprints in the snow the size of Luna's small feet, and there was a second flower. Harry was certain it was Xeno's final resting place.
Now Harry was truly frightened, he felt his heart pounding in his chest. He cried out Luna's name as he ran back towards the house. He didn't know what to do, but he was certain of one thing.
Luna was gone.
Harry started pacing back in forth, trying not to panic. "How did they get her, and how can I find her. If they kidnapped her she would be at the Ministry." Harry was about apparate there without a second thought when he noticed it.
Harry quickly snatched the letter from the table. Harry froze as he read the note. Harry felt his heart stop beating and his mind wallow in darkness. The note was short but it left no doubt that his fears had been realized, the light of his life had left. Harry was certain he would never be happy again as his soul sunk into the very depths of despair.
The Individual Walks Alone
Sign up to rate and review this story