Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Ignorance is Bliss

First date summersaults

by The_best_cliche 4 reviews

Just because you don't know what you're looking for, doesn't mean you can't find what you want. Short Joe Story!

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG - Genres: Romance - Published: 2006-09-12 - Updated: 2006-09-13 - 1859 words

1Original
Madilyn looked at herself in the mirror. She felt so nervous. It could be the fact that she had barely eaten anything all day and her stomach was doing summersaults, or that she hadn't really been out on a date and after talking on the phone for four hours she had this need to impress him. Maddie contemplated confessing everything but as selfish as it sounded she really wanted Joe to like her. It wasn't that she was ashamed or embarrassed but the idea that she was a person with a personality that had dislikes and likes made her feel human, alive. She was defined by nothing and no one else than herself. That was something that was new to her, something she wasn't too willing to lose yet.

"OOH! You look pretty!" Kaelyn cooed, turning around on the couch as Madilyn had made it downstairs.

"thank you" she smiled, placing her bag down. " Sneakers off the couch please."

"How did you see that!?" he laughed, as Cherise made her presence known, walking in and whistling at her friend.

"shut up!" Madilyn warned, giving her a look of dire warning.

"I guess you really want to guarantee this business deal huh...?" cherise smirked knowingly, taking a seat on the armrest of the couch.

"yes, and punctuality is the key to success. So I must go. You know what you have to do." Kissing their heads she started towards her front door taking out her keys. She had fought Joe on the phone for nearly a half hour to have the luxury of meeting him there.

"You look beautiful.." Cherise smiled, as she followed her and leaned against the door Madilyn was in front of. "Calm down and smile. They will be fine and so will you. Just enjoy the night. You deserve it"

Taking a deep breath she nodded "I will, thank you. I'll see you later..."

Cherise grabbed her arm "you can go back to his place too. I'll stay the night."

"shut up, ill see you later" she laughed leaving again.



Joe had insisted on this nice but small family run restaurant just outside of Chicago. It was one that really had their regulars, Madilyn just assumed he wanted to get to know her in a comfortable setting. It was better for her anyway, less chance of a person recognizing her. If no one realized who she was they wouldn't comment and then there would be nothing to explain. Their current, um status wouldn't be over before it even started. Surprisingly, as she pulled into the parking lot she spotted Joe getting out of his car. They had both dressed semi-casual. Meaning, she wanted his jaw to drop without looking like she meant to, and he dressed to impress without trying to show that he spent two hours rummaging through his closets to find the outfit.

"It's fancy meeting you here.." Madilyn smiled as she started to walk towards him. Careful with her current heels and the rock filled parking lot. Great way to meet him, falling face first to the floor.

Joe turned surprised to see her. Yeah, he knew he was meeting her but there was always that fear of being stood up and that time where you sit at the table anticipating their arrival. This was the first time that he had actually met his date in the parking lot. "Hey, are you stalking me?" he laughed.

She shrugged "maybe, or I heard you were bringing this really cool girl to dinner and I decided to raid your date." Madilyn smiled, matching his excitement. She was so nervous that the only thing that could calm her was making a joke, or at least trying to make a joke.

"Oh, well she didn't show up, but would you love to join me for dinner..?" Joe put his arm out for her.

"I would love to Joseph." Madilyn linked arms with him as they walked into the restaurant. Joe holding the door for her and the hostess brought them to their table in the corner.


"So, you really would love to go back to school?" Joe laughed shaking his head, and taking a bite of his food. That to him sounded crazy.They had been at the restaurant for a while and conversation had been easily flowing "even with all the success you have. "

"yes, I would love to! Success can come and go at anytime. Learning is a natural part of living, we do it at anytime and that is one of the few things that no one can take away from you. It makes you who you are."

"But isn't experience greater than that of just learning?" he asked.

Madilyn paused, taken off guard "what do you mean?" She asked taking a sip of her wine.

He cleared his throat and sat forward on the table "Okay yeah, you can get a book or sit in the classroom and learn all about the culture and history of like... japan, or Italy. But that isn't living, having that knowledge is going to do what for you? Actually going to Japan or Italy is the type of education that one needs in life. Real experience will always be superior than textbook knowledge, that anyone can have."

She nodded, "Okay, point well taken" Maddie laughed pushing some food around her plate. She had eaten enough. "But I don't have the time or ability to take trips to Japan or Italy to learn, so it is just easier to get that textbook knowledge and just dream of being there."

"Why? You have the money and every opportunity to just go anywhere. " Joe furrowed his brows, looking over at her. "Don't dream about it. Do it. You yourself told me the other day, if you have a dream go out and experience it. The world is an amazing place Madilyn, and it is just waiting for you."

"it isn't always that easy" she kept her eyes downward. "But, you talk about it like you've been there."

"I have.." Joe trailed off mentally scolding himself. How was he going to explain traveling to Japan and Italy without exactly explaining Fall Out Boy, but he couldn't lie to her about not going when he had.

"Really?" her eyes lit up. "That's amazing, did you have fun? Who did you go with?"

Clearing his throat Joe moved uncomfortably in his seat "Um, with family, yeah and we had fun." He didn't exactly lie, I mean Pete, Andy and Patrick were considered family, right?

"One day I'll be able to travel the world" Madilyn gave him a weak smile, as she saw some young couple looking and pointing at them. Joe followed her gaze and instantly felt anxiety. "Um, so would you like to maybe go somewhere else, I am pretty much full."

"Yeah.." he turned back to her, a nervous smile. "I'll get the check" After a few minutes of debating over who should pay, Joe managed to get the waiter and hand him his card. "So do you want to come in my car, and then I'll bring you back here later..?" he asked shyly. It is hard to be on a date when the person you are with is 30 feet behind you in another car.

She nodded surprising both of them "that sounds good"

After the fifteen minute aimless drive they found themselves at a joint bowling alley and billiards hall. "So do you play...?" Joe asked as he opened the door for her.

"I haven't played in years" Madilyn laughed "and I've only tried pool once"

"Then maybe tonight's the night you learn." They each grabbed a cue stick from the wall and made their way to an empty billiards table. Madilyn became nervous as his hand lay gently on the small of her back. She smiled though, knowing he had some interest in her.

The night seemed to carry on with the same flirtation and continuous conversation even having occasional sweet moments. They liked each other and that had been evident since the guitar shop. But, both seemed to be quite conscious of everyone around them and it was hard to really be at ease all the time.

"Wow, its 12:30!!" Madilyn laughed checking the time on her cell phone. "I guess we should start heading back."

"Okay" Joe nodded agreeing with her. They had played a few games of pool and each had one drink before taking a short stroll to the ice cream parlor nearby. "Well when you finish your ice cream then I'll drive you back to your car"

She smiled looking at him "It's a beautiful night, come outside.." grabbing his hand and whisking him out the doors towards the parking lot. Skipping and carefully running along freely. She never felt so alive.

"You don't really want to go home, do you?" Joe laughed catching up with her.

"I do, I guess.." Madilyn shrugged as her eyes looked up to meet his. She figured she might as well be honest with him it wasn't like they could last much longer. "Tonight was truly the best time I have had in a really long time Joe, so thank you"

"You're welcome, and I have to agree. Don't think I have had company with someone as smart and beautiful as you."

Blushing Madilyn finished her cone and looked up at the stars. They must be lined up in her favor tonight. Getting into this car they took the small trip back to the restaurant. Joe quickly went and opened her door. Things remained quiet as they walked to her car. "thank you for dinner"

"Thank you for coming. I had a great time and I uhh.." Joe hesitated stuffing his hands in his pockets. "I really hope we can see each other again."

A large smile spread across her face "I'd love to see you again."

"good, uh, So I'll call you and I hope you have a safe drive home"

Taking out her keys she unlocked her door as he held it open for her "You too" Madilyn sucked in her bottom lip looking at him. The anticipation and wonder of if they should kiss was driving her nuts. Soon though she saw him start to lean in, as she brought her face closer. They stood their, both lips parted too afraid of moving in any closer, as he took the initiative and pulled his hand out his pocket and let it lay on her neck and moved her to him pushing their lips together. The kiss was sweet and gentle, but Madilyn smiled against his lips as she pulled away. "Goodnight" she blushed as she got into her car.

Joe closed her door and stood there watching Madilyn drive away. Rubbing his hands together and smiling . Yeah, he was proud of himself. Making his way over to his car, he got in. Not only did he manage to make it through the night with no fans, he hadn't mentioned the band. She liked him for him. He couldn't wait to see her again. This feeling was amazing and he hoped it could only get better.
Sign up to rate and review this story