Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Thinking About You

3.1

by FFisoline 0 reviews

SasuxSaku/AU/OOC/SongFic: A wedding to attend to, flashbacks of a past love interest, unsettled emotions and all that other typical romantic clichés. But the biggest and greatest cliché of them a...

Category: Naruto - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Sakura,Sasuke - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2017-10-23 - 5470 words - Complete

0Unrated
(3.1)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"/After all, I really am a horrible person."/

/Noir/

.

.

.

~Clack, Clack, Clack / Tap, Tap, Tap~

~Squeak... Screech...~

~Click, Clack / Flip, Flop, Thwack~

*Soft and heavy breathings

*Voices / Murmurs

~Swoosh~

The dark fabric moves away, revealing itself to be a part of a man's coat.

The man joins the sea of people making their way across the station and disappeared as he blended among the crowd.

A vibrant color stands out from the monochromatic scene. A petite woman with rose gold hair and green eyes emerges from the sea of strangers.

"There she is."

Sakura heard Ino's voice. She started looking around for a girl with long platinum blonde hair and found Ino sitting in the waiting area beside a man she immediately recognized as Nara Shikamaru.

Ino stood up and straightened her purple dress as she waved at Sakura. Shikamaru, who looked like he was dragged by Ino at the last minute and didn't have time to change out of his plain white t-shirt and worn out jeans, stayed seated and opted to just nod at her.

Sakura waddled over to where they were with a smile.

Ino let her put down her suitcase first before moving closer for a tight hug.

"You made it Forehead!" She started swaying both their bodies together and after a few good seconds she pulled herself back a bit but left her hands on Sakura's shoulders. She squeezed her shoulders and giggled. "I'm so proud of you."

Sakura sighed but kept her smile.

Ino suddenly turned serious and made sure Sakura was looking her in the eyes. "The dress?"

"I didn't forget."

"Are you ready for tomorrow?"

Sakura took a deep breath. "As I'll ever be."

Ino slid her hands down to Sakura's. "You'll be fine.", she assured her.

"Right!" Sakura nodded and Ino finally let go of her.

Sakura then turned her head to the bearded man. "Hey there Shikamaru. It's been a while."

"Good to see you Sakura.", said Shikamaru, standing up.

"It's good to see you too." Sakura went for a friendly hug and pecked him on the cheek.

"Oh. She's already here."

Sakura turned around and saw a man with handsome boyish features. He was walking towards them with a cup of coffee in each hand. She wasn't sure if he was alarmingly pale or if his fair skin just lit up in contrast to his all black attire; composed of a polo shirt, slim-fitting jeans and a pair of Vans.

['He looks familiar.']

The man gave one of the cups to Ino who accepted it gratefully. As soon as she relieved his left hand of the cup he anchored the said hand at the small of Ino's back.

"Ah. Sakura, you remember Sai.", hinted Ino.

"Sai?" Sakura thought hard. Then her face brightened as she recalled. "Sai, the picture book artist."

The man smiled at her. He let go of Ino so he could transfer his cup of coffee to that hand. Then he held out his now free right hand for Sakura to shake. "It's nice to finally meet you Doctor Haruno."

Sakura shook his hand. "No wonder I thought you look familiar. Ino's been stalking your social media accounts for a while now." She glanced at Ino who glared at her.

"Really?", asked Sai, also glancing at Ino.

They both pulled their hands back.

"Yes." Sakura smiled at him. "So, she finally asked you out?"

Sai chuckled.

Ino cleared her throat. Then she turned to Sakura. "Anyway~"

"Can we just get going now that Sakura's here?", Shikamaru interjected.

"Okay! Fine!", Ino sassed. "But don't forget we have to make a gas stop."

"I know.", said Shikamaru as he lead the way to the exit.

"Here. I'll carry that for you." Sai picked up Sakura's suitcase and followed behind Shikamaru.

"Thanks." Sakura walked beside Ino, who immediately wrap her hand around Sakura's arm.

The two girls left the station hand in hand while exchanging knowing looks and smiling at each other.

.

.

.

"We'll be right back.", Ino told Sai.

Sai nodded.

The two girls made their way to the restroom of the gasoline station while Shikamaru filled his tank.

.

.

.

"So, I see you got yourself a boyfriend.", said Sakura as she went out of the stall. She joined Ino in front of the vanity mirror and proceeded to wash her hands. "Is there any particular reason why you decided to keep that a secret from me until now?"

Ino blinked from her reflection to Sakura's "Because I'm not sure it's even official yet. It's kind of the early days.", she told Sakura as she touched up her foundation.

Sakura cocked an eyebrow. "Early days? He came here with you!" she practically yelled as she turned the tap. "He's staying at the house where your parents live!"

"Why thank you Forehead." Ino sets her compact make-up aside and pulled some tissues from the dispenser and handed them to Sakura. "I'm glad you're happy for me that I finally got a guy to come home and meet my parents.", she told her using a sarcastic tone.

Sakura sighed. She began drying her hands with the tissues Ino gave her. "I am happy for you! Really happy! You know that?! … It's just- If this was any other time, it would've showed more, I'm sure. But you went and brought him now of all times. Now, I'm going to be the only one who's single in that affair."

"And that's why; I didn't want to tell you about Sai sooner." Ino placed her make-up back into her quilted bag "I just knew you'd be worried about something like that. But seriously, you being single is no secret to everyone. And why would you even assume that you're going to be the only one who's single there? For all we know, you might find a single guy attending the wedding. And he might just be interested in you."

Sakura snorted as she threw the tissues into the trash bin. "I came here to show my support to the bride and groom and give them my regards. Not to find myself a man."

"Whatever Forehead. Don't speak so soon. You never know." Ino flipped her ponytail as she made her way to the door.

Sakura followed her out of the restroom and the two girls walked-

FLASHBACK

...along the sidewalk on their way to school.

"A summer job? With Sasuke and Karin?" Ino looked dumbfounded.

"Yeah.", said Sakura, matter of fact.

Ino narrowed her eyes. "Chiiiiii~" she verbalized her stare.

"What?" Sakura raised an eyebrow at her.

"Calling him up in the morning everyday so he won't sleep in and Making sure he eats something during lunch... Your concern was understandable.

Going to his dorm to bring his homework; now for someone who likes to keep to herself on Sundays... And I know how much you hate it when I bother you on Sundays... I'd say that's admirable effort on your part.

But you, taking on a summer job to help him pay off his rent! Not only did you volunteer, the whole thing was your idea!" Ino gave Sakura a good long look. "YOU?! You of all people?! Going out of your way to help someone?" Ino stopped walking.

Sakura halted as well. "What?!", she questioned Ino's actions.

"You like him."

Sakura blushed and Ino blinked

"Oh my go- You like him?!", Ino spoke louder.

"Ssshh!" Sakura hushed her. "I- No! I mean, Sasuke-kun is indeed likable as a person. What I meant to say is, he's actually boyfriend material but… Damn it. Let me start over!"

Ino stared at the mess that is Haruno Sakura, flabbergasted. "Oh no! ... OH NO! ... You got struck! The Sasuke-sexy-love-bug-spear struck you down like lightning."

"Sasuke-sexy-lohvuh-fweh! What?!"

Ino took Sakura's hand and pulled her towards an alley and out of earshot of the other students making their way to school.

.

.

.

"On one note.", Ino giggled. "I knew you weren't immune to his charms. Congratulations Forehead. We just confirmed that you're actually a normal human girl."

"..."

"On another note." Ino took a deep breath. "Haruno Sakura! What were you thinking?!... I mean, it was fun to tease you about him and all... but I didn't expect you to actually fall for the guy! ... You already have a date with destiny! Destiny as in S-A-S-O-R-I!"

"I know! And I love Sasori! ... I don't like 'like' Sasuke-kun! I like him… like you like Shikamaru... Or Choji... Or Asuma-sensei.", said Sakura. She quickly dropped her hand as soon as she realized she was trying to reach for her hairclips.

"Really?" Ino popped her eyes out.

"Yeah~" Sakura didn't sound convincing at all.

"Hm." Ino furrowed her eyebrows. "Seriously?! Get yourself together Forehead! I know Sasuke's gorgeous and all. It's normal to be attracted to him. What you're going through is just a phase. It'll pass as soon as you realize that it's just physical attraction. … Sasori however, he's the man of your dreams, remember? He loves you, you know that!"

['Of course I know that! I have Sasori. I love him and he loves me. I'm just lonely that's all. This distance that I feel between us will disappear as soon as I'm done with high school.']

"Don't let go of what you have with Sasori over an infatuation.", added Ino.

"Like I said Ino, I feel nothing like that for Sasuke! I'm only helping him because-

['That's right. It doesn't really matter whether I have feelings for Sasuke-kun or not because someone like me can't possibly deserve him.']

...I need him to perform better in class. And with the way he's keeping up with me, we'll definitely get a higher point than Hyuuga and Lee." she assured Ino.

['After all. I really am a horrible person.']

Ino nodded. "That's right Forehead. You have to beat Neji if you want your parents to let you move on to college. Don't forget the real reason why you're working so hard for.", Ino reminded her.

"I didn't forget Ino-pig!", Sakura exclaimed.

Ino reached out to pat Sakura on her shoulder. "Good. Don't lose yourself Forehead." Ino smiled at her.

Sakura smiled back at her but as soon as Ino looked away, Sakura's left hand reached for her hair clips. As if knowing that it was still there gave Sakura courage, she sighed then followed Ino back to the side walk.

/./

/./

/./

After the morning classes, Sakura receive a message from Sasori.

Sorry I keep relying on you. But can you work on it faster? My deadline is coming up.

I'll do my best.

-she texted back.

Sakura looked away from her phone screen when she felt Ino's hand on her shoulder.

"Hey. Tenten and I decided to go to the shopping district this afternoon.", said Ino as she pointed back at Tenten who was having a conversation with Temari and Hinata. "We're going to buy the materials for that project in art class that's due on Saturday. Wanna come with?"

"Oh. That's actually perfect. I was planning to go to the book store."

"Book store?"

"I need to find a good source material and reference for what I'm currently working on."

"Oh. I didn't think you were having any problems with our lectures Sakura. Which homework is it? Perhaps we could help.", said Hinata as she approached Sakura and Ino. Tenten and Temari joined her as well.

"Ah no. It's not school related.", Sakura cleared. "At least, not ours."

"College stuff.", Ino explained. "She's helping Sasori with his minor requirements."

"Wow Sakura. On top off helping Uchiha-san with his studies you're also doing college level homework. To manage all of that while retaining your class standing, you're amazing." Hinata complimented her.

"T-thanks."

"So did Ino tell you? Are you coming?", asked Tenten. Then she saw Sasuke making his way out of the classroom. "Why not bring Uchiha with you?"

Sasuke paused as he heard his name. He stopped right behind Sakura, who tensed up when she realized Ino was looking at them.

"Iruka-sensei said to work on it as a pair since we only have this week to complete it. You could also use the hand. You can't possibly carry all those materials along the shops on your own.", added Tenten.

Despite Ino squinting her eyes at Sakura, she went ahead and invited Sasuke. "So, want to come along with us?"

"I supposed.", he answered.

"What about you guys?" Tenten turned to Hinata and Temari.

Temari was the first to decline. She shrugged and motioned for Shikamaru who was leaning on his desk.

"As much as I want to start on that project, my partner, as you're all aware of is a procrastinator. We haven't even discuss what we're gonna do for that homework yet. But knowing Shikamaru, he's probably gonna pull a last minute miracle and have one done by the deadline."

The rest of the girls nodded in agreement.

"Yup. I can see that happening.", said Ino.

Tenten turned to Hinata. "What about you?"

Hinata glanced at Sakura. They shared a look until the both of them turned to look at Sasuke.

He took a deep breath and shifted his weight from one foot to the other.

Hinata faced Tenten again and shook her head. "I think, Naruto-kun and I will go with Neji-kun's group another time.", she answered gesturing towards the boys.

Neji looked very annoyed as he was helping an oblivious Lee with his homework.

Near them, Naruto was animated as he seemed to be telling a story to Choji and the boy who's always wearing sun glasses.

"So, it's just us two pairs then." Tenten concluded.

.

.

.

Later that afternoon, Sakura, Sasuke, Ino and Tenten found themselves walking around the shopping district.

"Leave the heavy stuff to us.", suggested Tenten as she stepped closer to Sasuke. "You get the utility knife, tapes and the other essentials."

"Okay." Ino nodded.

"Why can't we just go together?", asked Sakura.

"Hm." Tenten smirked. "What's the matter Sakura? Do you want to stay with Uchiha?"

"That's not it! Inviting him was your idea, remember?", Sakura retorted.

Tenten snickered at the blushing girl.

Ino pretended to cough and Sakura was suddenly anxious.

Sasuke stared at the three girls, clueless as to what the random tapping, poking and 'jazz hands' gestures, Ino and Sakura was exchanging with one another, all about.

"We'll cover more ground this way. Just leave the heavy stuff like cardboards to me and Uchiha here.", Tenten maintained.

"That's right Forehead." Ino forced a grin on her face as she held Sakura's hand. "Besides knowing you, you're gonna get lost in all those books and stationeries. This way, you'll have more time to ogle on those while Tenten and Sasuke buy the other stuff."

Sakura watched as Tenten patted Sasuke's shoulder and motioned for him to follow her. She looked at him apologetically and Sasuke shrugged before walking away with Tenten.

Ino pulled Sakura towards the book store but Sakura still had her eyes on Sasuke's back.

"Sakura!", Ino called her out.

She whipped her head towards the blonde. "I'm just worried that he might be uncomfortable with being around Tenten.", she reasoned.

"Oh now you're considering his personal space. In case you haven't noticed, you've deprived him of that for the past two months."

"I don't ever recall being touchy-feely with him."

"Oh you didn't touch him during the incident with Naruto that one time?"

"You know exactly what I mean Ino!"

"Does it bother you that Tenten could just... touch him like that?"

['Does it bother me?']

"Tenten's a tomboy. She's not mindful around boys. And Sasuke looked like he didn't mind it. A girl touching him isn't new to him. He's Uchiha Sasuke. I bet girls outside the school still fawn over him."

Ino just kept talking but Sakura was stuck at...

['He didn't mind. Come to think of it… with Karin too.']

"Unless! That's not real the problem!" Ino's eyes widened. "Could it be? It wasn't about how Sasuke feels about being touched... It's about how you feel about other girls touching him! You're jealous! You want to be the one closest to him. You want to… touch him."

"NO! How did you even get to that from the topic of Sasuke-kun's personal space?!"

['Do I want to touch him?']

The memory of a certain night came back to her. The moment that she saw him smiling.

['That night. I felt like I could just... What? What was it that I would do? What do I want to do?']

She remembered the moments Karin was holding on to Sasuke. Then, she remembered what happened earlier with Tenten.

['He didn't mind.

What if it was me? Would he mind if I touched him?

I- He touched me.']

The accidental shoving that resulted in him ripping her uniform…

That moment in the infirmary when he caught her by her shoulders…

The event with Kimimaru back at his dorm…

The memory of it all had her blushing. She shook the thoughts of him away.

"Damn it Forehead! I thought you-"

"Said I didn't like him?! I don't! So stop making me asses how I see or feel about him!", she blurted out. "Listen to yourself. All this talk about how he's gorgeous and it's perfectly normal to be attracted to him. Aren't you just speaking based on your old crush?!"

Ino fell silent.

"You're the one who's putting all these suggestive thoughts in my head with how much you've been talking about him!"

"Well. I-", Ino considered. "You're right. Maybe I've been jumping to conclusions... because I used to have a crush on him and... because you're my best friend. I just know how easy it is to fall head over heels for him and I know how lonely you've been ever since Sasori moved to Tokyo.

I'm sorry! ... I shouldn't have thought of you that way. I mean I know you so well. You're my best friend. I've seen you crushed on Sasori and you've only ever want to go out with him ever since. I know how much you've only thought of him for the last six years."

Sakura was suddenly overwhelmed with the feeling of extreme guilt.

"I shouldn't have doubted your feelings for him. After all, everything you're doing is so you can be with him in Tokyo.", Ino continued.

"Th-That's r-right.", Sakura stuttered. "Er...Everything is for him. Including why I'm about to head inside the book store with you… So, let's just go in okay?"

Sakura took the opportunity to end the conversation then and there by going ahead of Ino into the store.

.

.

.

Ino really did know her well. She was also right about how Sakura loves books and stationeries. As soon as she was inside, her nostrils were filled with the sweet and musty smell of old books and stationeries as well as the redolent fragrance of newly unpacked ones. She was suddenly filled with excitement.

Her eagerness to go around and check out each and every shelf was very blatantly obvious in Ino's eyes. Ino sighed and relaxed. She was just happy to see the Sakura whom she knows so well instead of a girl she couldn't figure out.

"Well then. You go ahead and look for whatever book you need. I'll take care of the rest." Ino told her.

"Oh no! I couldn't let you do all the shopping alone."

"Just give me your list Sakura. I can tell how badly you want to just dive into those bookshelves."

"But-"

Ino held out her hand demanding for the list. With a smile, she cocked an eyebrow.

"Are you sure?", Sakura beamed.

Ino smiled wider.

Sakura produce the list and Ino shooed her off.

"Thanks Ino!" Sakura darted off.

.

.

.

She wandered into an aisle that was labeled with 'Medical Books'. After going through the titles quickly, she started pulling books out one by one. She skimmed through introductions and scanned pages. She returned the ones she didn't need and perused the ones that caught her attention.

.

.

.

Seconds passed. Minutes. How long had she been reading that one book? And was that book the ninth or the tenth she had checked out. Sakura had lost herself in a book that magnificently described the human heart.

'The "thump-thump" of a heartbeat is the sound made by the four valves of the heart closing.'

Her heart thumped as if it was synchronized to the words she had read.

'BLOOD FLOW THROUGH THE HEART'

She was fascinated. She had the same exhilarating feeling one gets when they're reading a climatic action scene or a heartwarming romantic scene from a novel.

She studied the picture and imagined it in motion as if she was watching a science program.

In her mind, she could picture the three dimensional transparent heart. It was glowing in contrast to the dark backdrop she had envisioned.

'Deoxygenated blood from the veins passes through the: (1.) SUPERIOR AND INFERIOR VENA CAVA - blood is drained from the head and lower body into the (2.) RIGHT ATRIUM - travels through the (3.) TRICUSPID VALVE - into the (4.) RIGHT VENTRICLE - through the (5.) PULMONARY SEMILUNAR VALVE - into the (6.) PULMONARY TRUNK - where...'

She visualized it pumping the blood - a crimson red line - through the valves, from one chamber to another. She even imagined the blood at cellular level.

'(7.) PULMONARY ARTERIES - take the deoxygenated blood to the...'

Sakura inhaled and felt the air fill her lungs.

'(8.) LUNGS - to pick up oxygen. Oxygenated blood is pumped back to the heart through the...'

Then in her mind's diagram, she represented oxygen as glowing silver dots and imagined it as it was absorbed in the system.

'(9.) PULMONARY VEINS - into the (10.) LEFT ATRIUM - travels through the (11.) BICUSPID VALVE - into the (12.) LEFT VENTRICLE - throught the (13.) AORTIC SEMILUNAR VALVE - into the (14.) AORTA - where the oxygenated blood is pumped to the rest of the body.'

As she pictured the blood circulation, she felt warm all over. She felt the life in every single cell in her body.

'INTO THE BODY - the deoxygenated blood from the lungs will flow through the arteries and then into the arterioles (small arteries) and then to capillaries where gas exchange takes place, then the deoxygenated blood will flow into venules (small veins) back into veins eventually arriving back at the heart.'

And the process starts over again. From her chest to the very tips of her toes and her fingers...

Her fingers twitched. She had to turn the page. The sound of the paper flipping broke her concentration and that's when she noticed someone's presence beside her. Then she recognized the scent that invaded her space.

Sasuke was standing beside her, reading a book he chose for himself. It wasn't a thick book and from what she could see it had more pictures in each pages than written text. Something about the human eye and why there are various colors.

"H-How long have you been there?", asked Sakura as she closed the thick and heavy book. She struggled to keep all four books she held to her chest.

Sasuke looked away from the page of the book to glance at her. "A while.", he answered.

"A while?", she considered "Are you and Tenten done buying the materials?"

He nodded and motioned for an aisle not far away.

...

Sakura saw Tenten as she was holding out four small manga books towards Ino who held a basket containing the materials they need in order to assemble their art project.

Ino shook her head and pushed the books away from her face. She was about to walk away from Tenten when the brunette held all books to her chest by one hand and held out her other hand to reach for the hem of Ino's shirt.

Tenten bowed to Ino repeatedly until Ino gave out a sigh of defeat. Then Tenten cheered up and dropped the books into Ino's basket.

...

"I must've been so engrossed in this book.", Sakura realized. "Why didn't you say something?"

"I called you a few times but you didn't respond. I thought I'd wait for you to look away from the book. That took longer than I expected. People were starting to give me weird looks for just staring at you so I just pulled out a book to read for myself while waiting for you to notice me." He raised the book for emphasis. "It was the only thing I can keep up with. Med books can be very disturbing to look at."

Sakura chuckled. "If you think these are disturbing, I should warn you to stay away from anything Karin might read in the future.", she advised.

"Ah." Sasuke moved to place the book back in the shelf. "Found what you were looking for?... Cardiology?"

"Oh. Uhm. Yes." Sakura shifted her gaze from Sasuke to the books she had in her hands. "These." she separated three books from the one she was just reading. She almost dropped them but Sasuke caught them and took them out of her hands.

"Thanks." Sakura smiled then made a move to return the thick book to its place in the shelf.

"You're not getting that one?", he wondered.

"No. I-" Sakura stole a glimpse at the price sticker. "Those will suffice."

Sasuke started going through the books. " 'Biomedical Engineering', 'Prosthetic Surgery' and 'Heart Prosthesis'."

He raised an eyebrow. "I'm no college student but these are definitely not something you'd take up in a minor subject." he looked at Sakura. "He's getting you to work on his practice thesis now too?"

Frowning, Sakura took the books from him again. "It's just a small part of it. Sasori showed his draft to his professor. He told him that his design was good but on a medical perspective, it can't be supported. He needs my help to make it work!" she reasoned then she started walking towards Ino and Tenten, leaving Sasuke behind.

.

.

.

"Did you find your book?", Ino asked Sakura as she joined them. "Er... Books."

"Yup." answered Sakura.

Sasuke came up behind her.

"What do you need that much book for? Are you sure you're revising only a small part of it?", Ino wondered.

Sakura timidly looked at Sasuke who just gave her a knowing look.

"I didn't want it to be vague!", Sakura explained. "It has to be believable. And if I want to convince Sasori's professor that his design is feasible, I have to give a detailed explanation on how it will work."

"O~.kay. Well, let's go pay for these." Ino motioned for the counter.

The three girls stood in line while Sasuke went to the baggage counter to claim the stuff he and Tenten bought earlier. By the time the baggage personnel handed him the items, Ino was already paying for her purchase.



"You bought a reviewer?" Sakura just noticed.

"Yeah. I got you one too.", said Ino.

"Really, I won't be able to pay for it though. I don't have enough money with me."

"No worries Forehead! Tenten had me pay for these sports manga. I'm just extending my generosity. Pay me back when you can... This way we can study together.", said Ino as she received her change.

"What is up with you smart people?" Tenten rolled her eyes. "All you ever think about is studying. How can you already be thinking about studying for college entrance exams with the finals coming up as well?"

"There's nothing wrong with that!"

"Anyway, you two are both aiming for... Tokyo University?" Tenten moved along with Ino to give way to Sakura.

"That's the plan." said Sakura.

Sakura realized that the person behind her was an old lady. She was with her young grandson who was starting to pester his grandmother as he was getting impatient.

"Uhm. Obaasan. You can go ahead first.", offered Sakura.

She stepped aside to give way to the elder, who was very grateful. Then she watched Ino and Tenten join Sasuke beyond the counters and gave them an apologetic look.

Ino smiled at her. "She can't help but be kind to elders. Especially grandmothers.", she informed the other two.

"A while ago, she sounded like she's not sure about college.", Tenten noted.

"That's because her parents are against it.", said Ino.

"Why?"

"They can't afford it. Her father is retired and her mother runs a bath house. That's they're only source of income. Besides, that bath house has been around for years. Her mother inherited it from her grandmother and now she wants Sakura to take over someday."

"That's understandable but… we're talking about a six digit paying job here. Did they ever think how much better off they could be if Sakura actually becomes a doctor?", wondered Tenten.

"Emphasis on 'actually'.", stressed Ino. "Somehow her mother is not confident that becoming a doctor is what Sakura really wants to be. She thinks Sakura just wants to impress Sasori. She doesn't want to spend the money they don't have on supporting Sakura with that sort of motivation."

"So that's it?"

"So they made a deal, her grandmother offered to support her using her pension but only if she's worth the money. Med school isn't cheap after all. If Sakura wants to move on to college, she has to top our graduating class. They won't settle for second place."

"That's very strict? What if she can't get first place?"

"Then she definitely has to say goodbye to the idea of going to college. The money will then be used for the renovation and expansion of the bath house.", explained Ino. "Right Sakura?", she called out to Sakura.

"Huh? Y-Yeah.", answered Sakura behind the old woman.

"No wonder she's so... studious.", Tenten realized. "But, she always has the option of getting a job and supporting herself. It will take longer but if she works hard enough, which Sakura is capable of doing, she'll eventually get through college?"

"She could and… at this rate, that's probably the only option she has left. But… I'm worried that if that's how it's going to be, she and Sasori will not be able to spend much time with each other. Med school can be hectic during year four and five. They could grow completely apart and independent of one another. … He's her motivation to go to college in the first place. What's the point if she can't be with him?"

"Oh... So Sasori-sempai really is the reason why she wants to be a doctor?"

"Yes. Well, I am actually. I sort of influenced Sakura. We're best friends so she decided we'll both be doctors after I told her I was gonna be a psychiatrist... like my father."

Ino glanced at Sasuke who had been patiently waiting for them in silence. Then she looked back at Sakura who was placing the books down on the counter.

Ino suddenly looked like she just thought of a wonderful scheme.

"But! ... It was after Sasori commended her for it that she really started wanting to become one!", Ino declared.

Sakura whipped her head towards them as she heard this. She was about to say something but the cashier gave her the total so she had to pull out some bills from her purse.

"It's all because of him, Sasori-sempai.", Ino continued. "She wants him to be proud of her, because she loves him. She wants to go to college at Tokyo U. so she could be with him. Because-"

"Okay! I get it!", Tenten cut Ino off. "Everything's for Sasori-sempai! Yay! Why are you stressing it out so much?!"

Ino cleared her throat. "Anyway, the three of us made a promise that we'll all live in Tokyo after graduation. And then..." Ino put her two index fingers together. "The two of them can finally date when she's in college-"

"Ino-pig!", Sakura interrupted her this time. "Stop talking about me and Sasori to other people!"

"Why? No need to feel embarrassed.", Ino teased Sakura who made her way to them after picking up her purchase. "Everyone knows about your mutual understanding with Sasori-'sempai'."

Sasuke made a move to exit the store then. After all, they're already done with their business there.

But somehow, Sakura felt like he was too eager to leave. "Sa-" She was about to call him but Ino held her hand.

She turned to look at Ino.

Ino had nothing to say to her. She was just smiling as she walked beside Sakura out of the establishment.

Tenten followed behind them, unaware of the fact that Sakura was anxious and Sasuke might be disappointed while Ino felt accomplished.

If Sakura didn't hold the grocery bag with her other hand, she knew exactly what she would do;

She would have held onto her braids.

.

.

.
Sign up to rate and review this story