Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Thinking About You

9.2

by FFisoline 0 reviews

SasuxSaku/AU/OOC/SongFic: A wedding to attend to, flashbacks of a past love interest, unsettled emotions and all that other typical romantic clichés. But the biggest and greatest cliché of them a...

Category: Naruto - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Sakura,Sasuke - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2017-10-24 - 3380 words - Complete

0Unrated
(9.2)

WANDERLUST

"/How's your girlfriend?"/

Sakura watched as couples dance to the music. Karin and Suigetsu were at the very center of the dancefloor.

Ino and Naruto came over to get Sai and Hinata to dance with them.

Sai quickly obliged while Hinata was hesitant to leave Boruto.

Rin however assured her that it was okay to leave the sleeping baby to her. After Hinata gratefully accepted her offer, Rin stood up and called a very sleepy Minato to follow her as she began pushing the baby stroller towards the exit.

Hinata excused herself from the table then and allowed Naruto to lead her towards the dance floor.

Sakura was then left alone on the table. She looked in the direction of the bar where Shikamaru and Temari had started their own drinking game. Sakura sighed. Even Choji and Tenten found something interesting to talk about over at the buffet table.

When she turned her attention back on the dance floor, she saw Sasuke asking Suigetsu for permission to dance with Karin. Suigetsu gave them his consent then stepped away. Suigetsu then spotted her.

The next thing Sakura knew, Suigetsu was walking towards her.



"Yo!", Suigetsu greeted her.

"Hey. Congratulations on getting hitched."

"Thanks." Suigetsu grinned. "So… Want to dance?"

"I…"

.

.

.

"Sorry.", said Suigetsu as she led Sakura in dancing the waltz.

"For what?", wondered Sakura. She was doing her best to match Suigetsu's rhythm.

"Getting married ahead of you." Suigetsu spun her round.

"W-" Sakura waited until she was facing Suigetsu again. "Why would you apologize for something like that?"

"You know…" Suigetsu led her to the left. "I really thought that you would be the first to get married. Among all your friends."

"Just what kind of girl do you take me for?" By then Sakura was already getting the hang of the dance. "Love and relationships and getting hitched is not all that women think about you know."

"Yeah, but I thought, you would've found someone by now." Suigetsu continued leading her through the other dancing couples. "It's been almost eight years. Sasuke is my friend but… You deserve to be happy. And you know that he feels the same way."

Sakura kept up with ease. "Thank you but, just because I'm not getting married soon doesn't mean I'm not happy! So, don't you dare feel sorry for me!"

Suigetsu fell silent.

"I don't want to get into a relationship just to have someone by my side.", continued Sakura. "Ever heard of this quote? 'Marriage is not about finding a person you can live with, it's about finding the person you can't live without.' "

Suigetsu smiled as he blinked from Sakura to Karin and back to Sakura again. "I totally agree. In fact, I don't think I can take a few more seconds being apart from Karin."

"Huh?"

"So~ Excuse me /but/… I would like to have my wife back. I brought you a new dance partner though."

Sakura then realized that Suigetsu had led her to the center of the dance floor and had just requested Sasuke to change partners.

Karin stepped away from Sasuke at the exact same time Suigetsu let go of Sakura.

The newly wedded couple then reached for each other's hand and danced away with a victorious smile on each of their faces.

Sakura's initial reaction was to avoid eye contact with the man she was left alone with. At the same time, she looked around her for a way out but there was none. The dance floor was suddenly crowded with people that she was imprisoned within that particular spot with Sasuke.

A new song starts playing.







"Well, we're stuck here.", said Sasuke.

Sakura finally looked at him.

"I don't know about you but I don't want to look stupid by just standing here in the middle of the dance floor when there's obviously someone available to dance with right in front of me."

~/The first time that I saw you/

Looking like you did

We were young

We were restless

Just two clueless kids

But if I knew then

What I know now

/I'd fall in love/~

Sasuke held his right hand out to her.

Sakura took it in spite of herself.

Sasuke slowly pulled her closer and carefully placed Sakura's left hand on his shoulder. He then placed his right hand on her waist as he reached for her right hand with his left.

And so they dance.

~/You're on a bus in Chicago/

Three rows to the left

You know my heart

Is reaching for you

But we never even met

If I knew then

What I know now

/I'd fall in love/~

At first, Sakura tried her best to avoid looking into Sasuke's eyes but when she got too uncomfortable whenever she ends up meeting her friend's gaze she eventually settled to only look at him.

It took only a few seconds for her to get lost in his eyes.

~/'cause love only comes/

Once in a while

And knocks on your door

And throws you a smile

And takes every breath

Leaves every scar

Speaks through your soul

And sings to your heart

But if I knew then

What I know now

I'd fall in love

On a summer night

In august

Backseat of my car

Said I'm trying to get

To know you

I took it way to far

But if I knew then

What I know now

I'd fall in love

...

'cause love only comes

Once in a while

And knocks on your door

And throws you a smile

And takes every breath

Leaves every scar

Speaks through your soul

And sings to your heart

But if I knew then

What I know now

I'd fall in love

...

I used up

A lot of chances

But you give them back

But if again

It comes crawling

Im gonna make it last

'cause love only comes

Once in a while

And knocks on your door

And throws you a smile

It takes every breath

Leaves every scar

Speaks through your soul

And sings to your heart

But if I knew then

What I know now

...

If I knew then

What I know now

I'd fall in love

(IF I KNEW THEN -Lady Antebellum)~









/'The hearts of a man and woman in love will begin to synchronize after the couple has gazed into each other's eyes for three minutes.'/



['Are our hearts… synchronize?']

Sakura's hands slip from Sasuke's.

Sasuke exhaled heavily as she slowly drags her hand towards his chest.

And then something inside Sasuke's chest pocket vibrated.

Sakura froze. She blinked from Sasuke to his chest pocket and back to Sasuke again. She then drew her hand back as Sasuke pulled out a micro smart phone from the pocket.

"T-That was erm… an alarm."

"Oh. I…" Sakura took a step back. "Sorry. What time is it?"

"Hn. It's ah less than a quarter to eight."

"I… I have to… I have to get ready to leave. I have to catch the 9:15 train back to Tokyo." Sakura slowly move away from Sasuke. "Thank you for the dance. … I-It was nice to see you again. G-Goodnight."

When Sakura turned around, she felt like she had betrayed herself. As she slowly walked away from Sasuke, each step that she took felt like a stab to her heart. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. When she opened her eyes, she had found the strength to leave.

.

.

.

Sakura walked out of the main entrance of the Uzumaki ancestral house, accompanied by Naruto, Karin and Suigetsu.

"Thank you for coming Sakura. It means the world to me that you took time off from your very busy schedule to be here.", said Karin.

"Yeah. We really appreciate it.", added Suigetsu.

Sakura stopped and turned to the couple. "It's no trouble. I was very glad to be here. I'm really sorry I can't stay longer."

Karin gave Sakura a hug and Suigetsu offered her a handshake.

"Once again, Congratulations. Good luck and Happy honeymoon."

"Thank you~", said the couple.

"Naruto." Sakura turned to the other guy. "Thanks for the hospitality."

"You're always welcome here, you know that. Visit us whenever you have the chance. I'm just going to be here. Oh! Give him my regards, will you?

"Yes. Of course. He'll be glad to hear from you. … By the way Naruto, I… I'm really sorry I couldn't attend your wedding. Please tell Hinata as well."

Naruto waved his hand. "I already forgave you since you attended Karin's wedding. Nah~ I'm just kidding. I never held a grudge against you to begin with Sakura-chan. I couldn't possibly. As for Hinata, just come home to Konoha as much as you can and spend some time with her. She would really appreciate that. Karin too. Right?"

Karin nodded. "Don't work too hard now. Stay healthy. See you again soon."

"Yeah."

"Oh. Ino's here.", Naruto informed them.

Sakura turned around and was taken aback when she saw Ino walking towards her while holding a red coat. Sai was just behind her carrying Sakura's luggage. "Err… Ino? I don't mean to sound demanding and I know I'm only asking for a favor but… Where's the car?"

"Sorry Forehead. Dad is buzzed and Shikamaru is intoxicated thanks to Temari challenging him to that stupid little drinking game. They'll need some time to sober up and if you wait for them you won't make it in time for that train.", explained Ino as she handed Sakura her coat. "But don't worry! The Uzumakis got their best driver ready to take you back downtown and all the way to the train station."

"Really?", Sakura turned back to Naruto.

"Yep. He's bringing the car around as we speak." Naruto told her.

"Oh. Thank you. I hope he's okay with it, being this sudden and all."

"Don't worry about it." Suigetsu assured her. "Driving is part of his duties. Why else did we ask him to stay sober?"

At this point Sakura noticed that everyone had a mischievous smile.



"We're ready." Rin appeared behind Karin and the others. She was carrying her sleeping son and had her coat over him like a blanket.

"Rin. Are you leaving as well?", wondered Sakura.

"Y-Yes." Rin looked puzzled. "You're riding with us, right?"

As if on cue, Sasuke's car pulled over in front of them.

Sakura quickly turned to the other people present there. She narrowed her eyes at them.

"Hey. Isn't it about time for the bouquet throwing?", said Naruto as he started backing into the house.

"R-Right.", Ino remembered. "We should head back and resume the program."

"Come on you two. What kind of dinner reception is this if both the bride and groom aren't around for their guests?", Naruto called the couple to retreat with them.

"Drive safe Sasuke. Take your time. We won't need you back here so soon." Suigetsu gave Sakura a wink before turning around.

"It's all up to you now Teme!", Naruto yelled back.

Karin and Ino were giggling as they followed behind the boys.

"I'll just leave this here." Sai put Sakura's luggage near Sasuke's car. "Good luck.", she told Sakura before following everyone inside.

['Seriously! These people!']

Sakura heard Sasuke get out of his car.

She turned around and found him making a move to put her luggage into his trunk.

"Oh. Here. Let me." Sakura ran to him.

"It's okay. I got it.", Sasuke assured her.

"I'm sorry to trouble you like this."

"It's fine. Hope you don't mind a quick stop." Sasuke motioned for Rin and Minato. "We'll just drop them off then head straight for the station."

"Oh. It's fine. We still have time."

"Don't worry. I'll make sure you catch your train."

"T-Thank you."

Sasuke closed his trunk then made a move to open the car door for Rin.

Rin walked towards the car. "Thank you."

Sakura watched as Rin laid Minato carefully into the backseat.

"You seat in front Sakura.", Rin told her then got into the car herself.

"Eh?"

.

.

.

Sasuke drove out of the Uzumaki property.

The ambience in the car was awkward.

Sakura was looking at Rin through the rear view mirror.

Rin had Minato using her lap as his pillow. She patted the boy's head as she hummed the tune of the very same song Sakura and Sasuke was dancing to earlier.

Rin realized that Sakura's attention was on her. "I heard them play this song all the way back from the guess room a while ago. It had a very lovely melody. I got it stuck in my head."

Sakura just smiled at her despite the awkwardness.

"That was a foreign singer. Did you pick that song Sasuke-kun?", asked Rin.

"A-Aa." Sasuke looked at Sakura at the same time she looked at him.

They both exchanged awkward smiles before looking away. Sasuke returned his focus on the road and Sakura looked out of the window.

.

.

.

Sasuke held the door open for Rin.

Rin carefully lifted Minato off her lap and got down the car. She picked up her purse and her coat and hung it over her shoulder. She then went back for Minato.



"Thank you. Drive safe okay.", Rin told Sasuke as she adjusted Minato on her arms. She then turned to Sakura. "Goodnight Sakura. Keep in touch."

"Goodnight." Sakura waved at Rin.

Rin turned around then and walked towards their house.



Sasuke closed the door to the back of the car and got back into the driver's seat. He then closed his door and drove out of the Uchiha compound.



Sakura felt very uncomfortable with the silence. "Uhm… Can we… play some music?"

"Huh?", Sasuke pardoned.

Sakura reached for the touch screen car stereo and tapped the play before Sasuke could even give his consent.

~…Nothing's gonna hurt as much

As that final touch

No we can't be friends

'Cause I don't think I could take seeing you

And knowing where we've been

I hope you understand~

Sasuke realized what song was playing and hope that Sakura can't understand the words. But then he remembered that Sakura was a smart girl.

~Nothing more to say

Nothing left to break

I keep reaching out for you

Hoping you might stay

Nothing more to give

Nothing left to take

I keep reaching out for you

Reaching out for you

As you turn away~

Sasuke glanced at Sakura and saw how stunned she was from hearing the lyrics of the song.

~One step my heart is breaking

One more my hands are shaking

The door is closing

And I just can't change-~

Sasuke finally made a move to turn the music off. It was awkward between them before but now it just got worse.

Sakura just couldn't look at him again after that.

.

.

.

Sasuke carried Sakura's luggage all the way up to railway platform despite her protest. He had taken off his tuxedo jacket and waistcoat by then.

"8:57.", He informed her as he set her luggage down beside her. "See. You made it. With a few minutes to spare."

"Y-Yeah. Thank you. Really." Sakura told him. "So uhm… W-When are you going back to the States?"

"Tomorrow. I'm taking the same plane as Suigetsu and Karin."

"Oh. S-So soon."

"Yes."

"Then I guessed we won't be seeing much of you again for quite a while. They. They won't be seeing much of you. I… I'm not imp- … I'm almost never around myself. Uhm… H-How's work by the way?"

"Fine."

"How's your grandfather?"

"He's okay. Still very strong."

"How's…"

"Sakura."

"How's your girlfriend?"

"Hn?"

"Come on now." Sakura chuckled. "Y-You don't really expect us to believe that you're still single after all this time, did you? I mean, that you were /single/. Just single. Why would I assume that you were single 'all this time'? But that doesn't matter! That's not the point. The point is that you're really not. Right?"

['Oh my god! It's happening again. I'm as awkward as ever.']

"Actually I am. Single."

"Really? I mean, Oh."

"At the moment."

"Oh." Sakura pressed her lips together. "A- At the moment? You mean like… Just this moment? Like you… won't be /for long/?"

"If things go well that is."

"So you're interested in someone?"

"Yes."

['I see. He already has someone he likes after all.



/"…How long has it been? Seven? Eight years? Maybe you're the only one who's still unable to move on. Maybe he considers everything that occurred between the two of you as just a thing of the past now."/



Of course he does.']

"But, I'm not confident enough to ask her out yet.", Sasuke added.

"Why would you be… Who wouldn't want yo- That girl would be stupid to say no to you."

"She's not stupid."

"No. Of course. I don't mean to bad mouth the girl you like. I meant-"

"I know what you mean."

"…"

"I'm just afraid that she hasn't moved on yet. A very horrible jerk broke her heart once. She might not be ready to be in a relationship again just yet. I heard she's not interested to date anyone as of now."

"Oh. That is… very..."

['I know exactly how she feels.']

"Then you'll just have to be patient with her, I guess. If you truly like her that is."

Sasuke nodded. "I plan on giving her all the time she needs."

Sakura smiled at him.

['What a lucky girl. She better not break Sasuke-kun's heart.']

"…You."

"I'm sorry what?", Sakura pardoned.

"You? How's your… heart? I mean are you…"

"Oh I'm- I'm okay. Well, I'm not 'in a relationship' yet but… my friends… They are really keen on introducing me to… someone… I- I think I'm going to go for it."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah. Why not? They're my friends. They wouldn't… I think they would look out for me."

Sasuke nodded.

("A train will be arriving shortly at platform 2. Please stand behind the yellow line.")

Sakura bowed to Sasuke in gratitude.

("A train will be arriving shortly at platform 2. Please stand behind the yellow line.")

"It really was nice to see you again after all this time."

"Aa."







~/Who am I to tell you/

That you should stay

When you're searching for the heat wave

And I am the rain

Who am I to warn you

/When I'm what you're running from/~

The train arrives.

"Thanks again."

"Aa."

~'Cause I've done nothing wrong, but I'll never be right

/So who am I to put up such a fight/~

Sakura waited for the doors to open before picking up her luggage and stepping into the train. She then turned around to look at Sasuke once again. "Well then, Goodbye."

"Hn."

~/Your heart is filled with wanderlust/

Desire to go elsewhere

It isn't me, I'm not the one to take you there

And I know you'll be happy

And eventually I'll be fine

/But for now I'll grit my teeth through the goodbye/~

The door closes.

Sasuke stepped back.

~This is what you want and

I put you first

I'd rather be your second

Than be your worst

Prioritize your feelings and you won't get hurt

It's not like mine deserve any worse~

The train moves.

~Your heart is filled with wanderlust

Desire to go elsewhere

It isn't me, I'm not the one to take you there

And I know you'll be happy

And eventually I'll be fine

But for now I'll grit my teeth through the goodbye~

Sakura sighed as soon as she couldn't see Sasuke anymore.

~/Your heart is filled with wanderlust/

Desire to go elsewhere

It isn't me I'm not the one to take you there

And I may not understand it

But eventually I'll be fine

/But for now I'll grit my teeth/~

Soon, the train has left the station but Sakura remained where she was. She gazed out of the glass panel as the train leaves Konoha.

~/Your heart is filled with wanderlust/

Desire to go elsewhere

It isn't me, I'm not the one to take you there

And I know you'll be happy

And eventually I'll be fine

But for now I'll grit my teeth through the goodbye

/(WANDERLUST - Lauren Aquilina)/~

.

.

.

For those who are not familiar with the song that played in Sasuke's car, it's called "As You Turn Away" by Lady Antebellum.
Sign up to rate and review this story