Categories > Celebrities > Black Veil Brides > The Awakening

Chapter Two

by Lynn_Kelly 0 reviews

Kassandra goes with Luke to meet his two other friends, Ashton and Jemma.

Category: Black Veil Brides - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy,Romance,Sci-fi - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2019-04-11 - 1999 words

0Unrated
CHAPTER TWO:

The next morning, Kassandra is forced awake by the sound of her phone going off multiple times. She groans loudly as she flips onto her side to see why her phone was blowing up. She suspected it is her mother trying to get her up and start the day since her mother has to work on Sundays and can't be there in person to wake her up. However, when she looked at her phone all she can see are messages from Luke—six of them within the past ten minutes.

Luke: Hey!

Luke: Are you awake?

Luke: KAAAAAASSSSS

Luke: I wanna hang outtttttt

Luke: Wakey, wakey, eggs and bakey.

Luke: I want to show you around town and go to a cafe nearby

Kassandra shakes her head at the amusing messages, but smiles anyway because she's not used to having people want to spend time with her.

Kassandra: Calm your tits.

Kassandra: I can be ready in thirty minutes.

With that, she gets up and finds an outfit to wear for the day. If Luke's just showing her places around town, she figures she doesn't have to dress up too much. She just decides on wearing black skinny jeans with a white v-neck shirt with a flannel over it. She puts on some light makeup and brushes her teeth, hating the fact that she might have bad morning breath. She slips on some combat boots and heads outside, locking the door to the house behind her. She looks across the street and sees Luke sitting on the front steps of his house, looking at something on his phone.

"Come on, Lucas, let's go!" she yells across the way to him. He jumps slightly, startled by the sudden noise and walks over to her side of the street.

"It's just Luke, not Lucas," he pouts.

"I know, I just like to annoy you," she replies, smiling innocently up at him.

He shakes his head in amusement. "Ok, the cafe's a few blocks down the street, if you want to go there. My friends are there and I wanted you to meet them."

"Ok sounds good," Kassandra says, then a sudden wave of nervousness falls over her. "Actually, wait. How many friends do you have?"

Luke awkwardly scratches the back of his neck, "Uhm--I only have two friends. Well, besides you, now."

Kassandra lets out a sigh of relief, "That's good, then. Sorry, I just get nervous about being in large groups of people."

"Oh, that's understandable," Luke says, feeling better about the situation. He was worried that saying he was only capable of having two friends would make her want to hang out with someone else. They walk the few blocks down to the cafe, Luke pointing out some things along the way, including a music store and a book shop. Kassandra makes a note to go look at them later.

When they get to the cafe, Kassandra can see that it's a stereotypical-looking cafe. It has a sort of homey feel to it and everything's light colors. They get in line to lace their orders with the cashier. Kassandra orders just black coffee and a danish, while Luke orders a mocha flavored coffee with extra sugar.

"How can you drink coffee black?" Luke says and mimics throwing up.

Kassandra shoves him jokingly, "How can you drink so much sugar?" she bites back.

Luke just smiles at her and then leads her over to the back corner of the cafe . It's secluded from everyone else. "This is where my friends and I regularly sit," he lets Kassandra know.

She didn't have any time to reply that this would be her favorite spot, anyway, because suddenly sineibe cane bursting through the door and flopped onto the sofa across from Kassandra. He didn't waste a second before propping his feet up on Luk's lap.His light brown curly hair practically bouncing as he moved.

"Hey, Luke Pookie! I missed you," he says, leaning in to pinch Luke's cheek.

Luke rolled his eyes and pushed the boy's legs off his lap. "You just saw me two days ago, Ash."

The boy, Ash, apparently, just shrugged and sat up straight in his chair. He turned to look at Kassandra and he smiled widely with dimples showing. His hazel eyes light up in a friendly manner.  "Hi! You must be Kassandra. Luke's told me about you."

Luke jabs him in the side with an annoyed, "Dude."

The other boy just ignores him and excitedly continues talking to Kassandra. I'm Ashton!" Kassandra goes to reach out for a handshake, but Ashton wasn't having that. Instead, he jumped up and nearly tackled her in a hug. Once she regained her balance, Kassandra hugged Ashton back lightly. She couldn't help but think it was adorable that he as so giddy and she smiled along with him.

"Nice to meet you," Kassandra says, finding it hard to stop the smile that spread on her face just from seeing Ashton's smile.

"Alright, alright." Luke says, breaking them apart. "Did Jemma come with you, as well?"

"Not today. She said she has an appointment and would meet us here," Ashton shrugged, turning his attention back to Kassandra. "You're a junior, too, right?"

"Yeah! I start tomorrow. I'm kind of nervous, honestly."

Ashton nods at that in understanding, "well, you'll have us there at least."

"Oh great, now I'll really need to work on my reputation," Kassandra laughs, making it clear that she was just messing with them.

"Hey, that was mean," Luke pouts. "I thought you loved me," he says dramatically before pretending to cry obnoxiously. Kassandra shakes her head in amusement and Ashton just smiles fondly at him, letting out a cute giggle.

"Oh god. Why's he crying now?" a girl about their age states. They didn't even see her walking over. Kassandra assumes that this is the Jemma girl they were talking about before. She has medium length hair that's black with pink highlights running through it. It looked pretty cool.

"Kassandra made me cry because she doesn't love me anymore," Luke whined dramatically. Everyone rolled their eyes at that.

"I'm Jemma, by the way," she greets with a small wave, before plopping down in the available chair next to Ashton.

"I'm Kassandra," a smile finds its way back on her face. "I like your hair."

"Thanks," Jemma says with a warm smile. Kassandra's glad that Luke's friends are so nice and easy to get along with. Not that she expected them to be rude, she's just used to people disliking her.

Suddenly, Ashton exclaims, "Oh, that's what's different. There's pink in it instead of the blue." He pauses, taking it all in, "I like it."

A deep blush rises to Jemma's cheeks as she hears Ashton's compliment. "Thank you," she murmurs shyly before running her fingers through her hair absentmindedly. Kassandra makes quick eye contact with Jemma, sending her a small smirk--Jemma obviously has a crush on Ashton. She just looks down at her feet, so Kassandra tries to take her mind about it.

"So...since I'm new here and don't know anything about you guys, tell me about yourselves."

Luke gets excited about the ide of feeling Kassandra more about himself. Not that he's conceited, he just wants to be closer friends with her. Excitement is clear in his voice when he asks, "well, what do you want to know?"

"Ok, important questions first: what's your favorite animal?" Kassandra says seriously.

"Penguins!!!!" Luke shouts. "They're the most perfect creatures that live on this earth. I tried to steal a penguin from an aquarium once to keep as a pet, but my mom made me give it back. I got a picture with him though."

"Penguins are great. I bet that picture's adorable; a mini Luke with a penguin," Kassandra smiles fondly at the thought of the photo.

Ashton lets out a cackle in response, "That happened this past summer." Luke's face turned red from embarrassment as Kassandra and Jemma joined Ashton in laughing at the thought of a sixteen year old Luke trying to capture a penguin at an aquarium.

Once the laughter dies down, Kassandra asks the other two the same question. Ashton responds with tiger and playfully roars and scratches the air in front of him. He bursts into a fit of giggles. Jemma likes dogs, apparentmly, because she's grown up having them and could never see herself without the dogs. Kassandra tells them that she loves all animals, but thinks wolves are especially cool.

"No, I hate wolves, They're the worst ones," Ashton says annoyed.

"Why's that?"

"They just are always angry and snarling and don't care who they hurt," Ashton deadpans.

"What do--"

"You know what, let's change the subject," Luke interjects, not wanting his friends to have an argument over wolves.

There was tension for a few minutes, but soon the group was back to the way they were earlier, joking around and getting to know each other. Kassandra's learned that Jemma wants to be an artist and loves to draw and paint. Ashton's a straight-A student who loves Disney movies, which Luke often picks on him for. Luke has a dream of being a a professional musician and believes that supernatural beings exist and are living among us, which made the other three crack up a bit.

"Really, Luke? You think there's like ghosts and demons running around?" Kassandra chuckles at him.

"I swear he tries to bring it up at least once per week," Ashton grumbles.

"He tries to convince us to go demon searching with him all the time," Jemma complains.

"Can't say I'm surprised," Kassandra shakes her head at him. "I'll definitely join you next time", she jokes.

"We can be the real life Mystery Incorporated!" Luke shouts excitedly, everyone else agreeing that if they ever discovered demons and ghouls, they would fight them off together.

Little did Kassandra know what was just around the corner

~~~

After spending hours at the cafe, Kassandra is finally home for the night. She lays on her bed and revels at the fact that she has three new friends now. She's never felt happier in her entire life; a smile tugs at her lips as she lays there thinking of Luke trying to steal a penguin, of Ashton's giggle that could light up the sky, and of Jemma's dedication to her artwork—which Kassandra got to see a few photos of. She thinks about starting school again tomorrow and how horrible it will be to be the new student. She's even more glad that she knows Luke, Ashton, and Jemma now because she'll never be able to make it through her anxiety tomorrow without them there.

Kassandra's mother texted her that she was going to be working a double shift at the hospital she now works at as a nurse, so she won't be home until early the next morning. Since her mother wasn't going to be home and she was starving, she decided to cook the only thing she knew how: a frozen pizza.

She takes the full pizza up to her room and eats it while sitting on her bed and watching her DVDs of the original 1987 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon. She knew her mother would be pissed if she ever knew she brought food into her room, but oh well she wasn't home and would never know the difference. She takes a second to make sure that her alarm is set for the morning so that she will wake up for school. Heaven knows she would never wake up early without it. Hours later, Kassandra finds herself exhasted from the move and from the nerves of meeting new people and falls asleep with the sounds of the evil Shredder and the dreaded Foot Clan taking over New York City in the background.


_________

Author’s Note: Thanks for continuing to read The Awakening! I really appreciate it. Feel free to give me any feedback! :)

- Lynn Kelly
Sign up to rate and review this story