Categories > Celebrities > Black Veil Brides > The Awakening

Chapter Three

by Lynn_Kelly 0 reviews

Kassandra has an interesting visitor.

Category: Black Veil Brides - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy,Sci-fi - Published: 2019-04-11 - 1279 words

0Unrated
CHAPTER THREE:

Running. Kassandra's running through the woods like her life depends on it—and it does. Her legs are so sore that she can't feel them anymore, but she won't stop—she can't stop—until she's safe. She looks behind her and lets out a breath of relief when she sees that the dark figure is no longer behind her. She's still running even as she looks behind her and she doesn't notice that a tree root was sticking out of the ground. She trips over the root and falls onto her hands and knees, cutting her leg open in the process. The numbness of her legs from running mixed with the pain from the cut is enough to make her want to give up, but still she pushes forward and doesn't give in. She runs through the pain, checking behind her every so often. This time, when she turns back to the front, the figure was standing right in front of her, barely five inches of space between them.

Kassandra shrieks at the sight of him. She tries to turn in a different direction, but he already has her by the arm before she can start running again. The man in front of her was more than just a man. As he pulled her towards himself, she could see now that his eyes were turned red and were lusting after blood. His teeth elongated, desiring to get a taste of her. He sinks his teeth into the skin of her neck and tears her flesh open. Kassandra screams for mercy before everything goes black...

Kassandra's body jerks forward as she is startled awake from her dream and finds herself in a pool of her own sweat. Her hand places itself over her heart as she attempts to control her heart rate back to normal.

"It's a dream. It was only a dream," she mutters to herself. She throws the blankets off of her and checks her phone to see the time. Wincing at the brightness that emanates from it, she sees that it's 3:00am. She goes downstairs to get a glass of water, feeling like she has a dry throat. She sighs sadly as she sits down at the island in the kitchen. She couldn't get her mind off the events of the dream—well, nightmare, really.

She decides that, even though it might be stupid to be alone outside at nighttime, that she needs some fresh air to get her mind off of it. She contemplates texting Luke and seeing if he's awake right now, but figures that it would be better not to bother him. Besides, she is just going to go for a walk around her neighborhood, which was basically just a circle. What's the harm in that?

She steps outside, locking the front door behind her, and finds some comfort in the slightly chilly September night. She begins her walk and puts her headphones in, knowing that listening to music is what calms her down the most. As the sounds of her favorite song by Take Me To Neverland starts playing, she feels almost instantly relieved. That is, until she senses that someone is watching her.

She tries to make it look like she is nonchalantly looking around at the neighborhood, even though she is really trying to see if she could see where the person is. Seeing nothing out of the ordinary, she just brushes it off. "It's probably just me being worried about that nightmare," she thinks to herself. She continues walking along the street.

And then she feels it again. She keeps walking, but pauses her music so she can hear everything else around her. She hears footsteps on the sidewalk behind her. They were barely noticeable, but because Kassandra was giving it her full attention she knew for a fact what she was hearing. She felt the gaze on the back of her head and has the feeling that whoever it is is getting closer. Without giving it a second thought, she quickly turns around and socks the person in the nose.

They reach for their nose which was now slightly bleeding from Kassandra's punch. She takes the opportunity to run while she still can and heads back towards her house. However, the person catches up to her and grabs her arm, refusing to let her go. She struggles in his grasp.

"Wait, Kassandra," the male said, an English accent evident in his voice. "I need to speak with you."

"Who are you and how do you know my name?" She didn't know anyone from England, so she didn't understand how this guy could know who she was. In the dark of the night, she couldn't make out much of his features. She could see that he was probably just under six feet tall and maybe some facial hair?

"My name is Liam Payne and I'm a friend of your father's. I need to talk to you about your birthright."

Kassandra vaguely remembers her father speaking of a Liam who was his personal trainer from the gym, but she highly doubts this is the same one. She crosses her arms over her chest defensively and raises an eyebrow at him, "My birthright?"

Liam nods and continues, "I was your father's slayer trainer before he—"

"Don't finish that sentence," Kassandra cuts him off. "Slayer trainer? What kind of bullshit is this?"

"Your father was a vampire slayer, your grandmother before him, and now you're next in line. I've been searching for you for weeks. We have to begin your training."

Kassandra lets out a "pfft" sound, then sarcastically replies, "Wow, this town really is filled with weirdos with vampire fetishes. Well, I'm going back home now. Goodnight."

"No, you can't leave yet. You need to be properly awakened as a vampire slayer. This town is infested and only you can defend it from the forces of evil," Liam insisted.

"The forces of evil? I'm not the fucking Powerpuff Girls," Kassandra hissed in annoyance. She just wanted this guy to leave her alone. Then suddenly she realized what this was and started laughing hysterically. "Oh, now I get it! Luke put you up to this somehow, right? He just finished telling me about how he wants to save the world from the demons a few hours ago. That makes sense now. Thanks for the laugh, but I need to go now."

Kassandra walks to the front yard of her house, but Liam catches up again. "Kassandra, this is serious. You really are the next slayer. It has to be you and I have to awaken you and guide you in your fight."

Now that they're in front of the house, they're near a street lamp and Kassandra can get a decent look at Liam for the first time. He's got brown eyes that actually look pretty kind and endearing—or they would be if it weren't for the fact that he was practically stalking Kassandra.

"You know what, Liam? Fine. I totally believe you. I'll get right to it in the morning, after I wake up from this dream. Goodnight!" With that, she runs back to the front door, unlocks it, and heads back inside. She locks the door behind her, not wanting to let any insane people like Liam into the house. She heads upstairs and curls back up under the covers of her bed. She lets a second wave of sleep come over her and it's a strangely peaceful sleep for the first time in a while.

________

Author’s Note: Thanks for reading! I hope you like it so far. Feel free to give me feedback. :)

- Lynn Kelly
Sign up to rate and review this story