Categories > Celebrities > Black Veil Brides > The Awakening

Chapter Five

by Lynn_Kelly 0 reviews

What are you doing here?

Category: Black Veil Brides - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy,Sci-fi - Published: 2019-04-11 - 1531 words

0Unrated
CHAPTER FIVE:

Luke leads Kassandra to the main office of the school. Although he's still upset about being friend-zoned, he's excited about the possibility of having some classes with Kass. Once entering the office, Luke gestures towards a desk and whispers to Kass, "That's the school secretary and guidance counselor, Mr. McCartney. He's pretty nice, but seems sad most of the time."

Kass nods at Luke and walks over to the large desk that Mr. McCartney is sitting behind. She speaks with Mr. McCartney, making sure she sounds friendly. "Hi, my name is Kassandra Mason and I'm a new student starting today."

Mr. McCartney smiles at Kassandra, but it doesn't quite reach his eyes. He has a medium shade of brown hair with blonde highlights in it, paired with green eyes. His eyes were now a rather dull color, but Kassandra found herself thinking that they were probably once very beautiful and full of life. He isn't bad looking, either, she thinks to herself. Well, you know, if he wasn't in his late twenties or someone who works for the school. Kass briefly wonders what he could have been through in his life that would have made him so sad, but decides to brush it off. It's none of her business, anyway.

"Mason, you said? I'll pull up your information on the computer system and then print your schedule out for you," Mr. McCartney tells her. Kass nods in confirmation.

After typing some things into the computer, Mr. McCartney prints out some papers. He hands them over to Kassandra along with a pen.

"I'm going to need you to sign the first page, saying that you received your schedule from me." Mr. McCartney pauses to hand her another sheet of paper. "This one has your schedule on it. Will you need me to find someone to help you find your classes?"

Just as Kassandra is about to say no, Luke pipes up from the other side of the room. "I volunteer as tribute!"

Kass looks at her friend in disbelief. Did he really just say that? She rolls her eyes at her friend and turns back to Mr. McCartney, who's chuckling softly at the exchange. She signs the first sheet and takes the schedule from him.

"Well, I guess you're taken care of, then. I hope you have a good first day. My door's always open if you need anything," he says politely.

"Thank you, Mr. McCartney," Kass says sincerely, before heading back over to where Luke was standing.

They exit the room and, not even a second after the door to the main office closes behind them, Luke tears the schedule out of Kassandra's hands and reads it. Luke nods as he reads each class and commits it to memory.

"Turns out we have three classes together. Math, gym, and choir--and lunch, too, but everyone has lunch together here since it's not too big of a school," Luke informs her, smiling brightly. Kass smiles, too--happy that she'll at least have Luke's company for some classes and won't have to sit alone at lunch. She looks over the schedule, herself, and sees that there's seven class periods all together, including lunch.

Luke leads Kassandra further into the school, telling her that there's usually twenty minutes for students to walk around the halls and hang out before classes start. Kassandra is a bit annoyed about that, knowing that she could have gotten some extra sleep in the morning. However, once she sees a familiar head of curly hair running towards them, she is immediately happier. Kass firmly believes that Ashton's dimples have the power of making everyone happy at just the sight of them. Jemma follows behind him, obviously a bit reserved in comparison to Ashton. Ashton pulls his two other friends into a hug at the same time, which is slightly awkward because he basically just sandwiched himself in between the two and there's no space in between them. Jemma says a polite "Hello", before feeling left out and joining in the hug as well.

"Kassie. Lukey. I've missed you two so much," Ashton greets dramatically, after breaking out of the embrace. Kassandra's face falls lightly at the nickname 'Kassie'. Her father always called her that, everyone else just called her 'Kass'. She covers it up and smiles, knowing Ashton doesn't mean any harm by it.

"We saw each other last night," Luke points out. He rolls his eyes at his best friend, but a smile eventually breaks free. He could never actually be annoyed with Ashton.

Ashton just shrugs in response to Luke's statement, before his gaze turns to the piece of paper in Kassandra's hand. He grabs it from her, similar to how Luke did. A giant grin covers Ashton's face as he reads it.

"Yay! We have chemistry and history together. We get to talk about dead people together," Ashton exclaims, high-fiving Kass in the process. The other three break into fits of laughter because no one's ever sounded so excited when it comes to dead people.

"And we have English class together," Jemma beams, while leaning against Ashton slightly to read the schedule, too. It's safe to say that Kassandra has never felt so happy in her life. Now, she has three good friends and doesn't have to be in any of her classes by herself.

Of course, that happiness couldn't stay for long. Her first class of the day is gym. Why on earth is gym the first period? At least she has Luke in the class with her, which lifted her mood somewhat, but she still wasn't happy about having to do any physical activities so early in the morning. She makes a vow that she will barely do any of the exercises today. However, that option fails her because, after changing into her gym clothes and waiting for Luke to be out of the boys' locker room, she recognizes her new gym teacher. His brown eyes catch her and he smirks lightly before walking over to her.

"What are you doing here?" Kassandra asks him, frustratedly. She truly wished that last night was just a dream. Yet here he was, the main who claimed to be a trainer of vampire slayers--Liam Payne.

Even though only a few students have come out of the locker room, he speaks in a low voice so no one can overhear him as he replies, "I have more than enough qualifications to be a gym teacher, but have to awaken you as a slayer one way or the other. If this is the only way I can get you to speak with me, then so be it."

"You must be delusional. I think I should call the police."

"I'm not delusional, you're just not allowing yourself to see that there's something going on in this town. Something that only you can stop," he says, voice dripping with passion. When Kassandra looks into his eyes, she sees that they're honest and sincere. He truly believes in what he's saying.

"I believe that you think that's true--I really do, but it can't be. It just doesn't make sense," Kass tells him. She sees Luke's tall frame walk out from the boys' locker room and she starts to leave to meet up with him.

"It will all make sense soon," Liam says. "Also, you better participate in the fitness training today at your full ability. I will know if it's not. You wouldn't want me to have to call your mother and tell her you're failing gym, now would you?"

Kassandra's eyes widen in shock. He wouldn't serious fail her in gym just because she didn't agree that this town is overrun with vampires, would he? She didn't want to test it, though, so she agrees with a nod, before walking over to where Luke is sitting.

As Liam starts to take the attendance for the class, Kassandra can't help but stare at him. He didn't seem to be someone who would be harmful. He honestly looks very kind.

"Does someone have the hots for the new gym teacher?" Luke jokes from beside her.

"What?" she asks, snapping out of her thoughts.

"You've been staring at him for some time," he points out. Luke is a little jealous. Though he's not into men, he has eyes and can see what someone's attractive. He really has no reason to be jealous of him, though--he's a teacher, after all.

"Oh, no. I was just staring off into space and he happened to be in my line of sight," Kass says, brushing it off awkwardly.

Luke just nods, deciding to agree with that. They fall into silence as Liam--er, Mr. Payne--explains what they have to do for fitness testing today. Kassandra only half-listens because most of her thoughts are on other things, namely: What if Liam is right?


________
Author’s Note: Thanks for reading! I'm sorry that this one is sort of a filler chapter, but I promise that the next one is going to get more interesting. We’ll finally get to see some vampires and it’ll introduce Kassandea’s first crush in Grimsby. Who do we think it is? :)

- Lynn Kelly
Sign up to rate and review this story