Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Rescue Me

Trust and Betrayal

by hootowl 1 review

Recognizable quotes from "The Puppetmaster" I'm going to believe that "Huo Hua" means fire lily... the Google gods may have lied though. I'm sorry.

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG - Genres: Romance - Characters: Katara,Zuko - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2020-04-10 - 7436 words - Complete

1Exciting
Zuko roused Aang shortly before dawn and led him a short distance from the camp, ignoring the young boy's grumbling. The others were still curled in their blankets, but he knew Katara would probably wake once the sun crested the horizon. He wondered if she would join them for the last few minutes of their meditation as she used to before things got awkward. He knew she was avoiding him as much as she could without seeming obvious. The calculating looks Sokka sent him after Katara dodged his presence proved the other boy, at least, was aware that things remained unresolved between them.

"Why do we have to meditate so early?"

The tired groan drew his attention to the sagging airbender. The whine reminded Zuko of a time when he could complain about the early hours. Zuko folded his legs under him, settling comfortably on his heels, breathing a lungful of morning air. Aang dropped next to him yawning loudly.

"I told you why we meditate in the morning," Zuko finally answered. Aang jerked upright, his eyes snapping open and Zuko sighed, choosing to ignore the airbender's obvious inattention. "Dawn and dusk are the most unstable times of day for the firebender. The sudden fluctuations of power can cause serious injury."

Aang blinked at him and Zuko wondered which of his previous firebending masters he was parroting. Aang seemed to consider that for several heartbeats before asking, "So why not wait until later?"

Zuko frowned. The firebending masters had an answer for that as well. 'Because we're at war. Because dawn is often the most opportune time to attack. The enemy is sluggish and fatigued at dawn.' Instead, he said, "Meditation stabilizes your inner fire and allows greater control throughout the day. It grounds you so it should be the first thing you do when you wake." Zuko paused. "You do know how to meditate, right?"

Aang glared, puffing his chest out. "I'm the Avatar."

Zuko shrugged and turned away, closing his eyes and focusing on his own meditation. Within a few breaths, Aang spoke up, "So, what am I meditating on?"

Still keeping his inner focus, Zuko responded, "Picture your inner fire. Keep it warm and steady. Don't let it get too low. Don't let it get too high."

When Aang didn't say anything else, Zuko allowed a quick peek at the younger boy and was amused to see his face screwed up in concentration, mouthing Zuko's instructions silently.

"Relax."

Zuko watched until Aang's feature's smoothed and his breathing evened out, peering at him to make sure he hadn't fallen asleep. Meditation was meant to relax and open your mind, not relax into sleep. Though Zuko had to admit it could do that too.

He returned to his own meditation until he felt the flair of heat and fire across his senses that let him know the sun had cleared the horizon. At the same time, he heard Aang exhale an awed, "Whoa."

Zuko rose to his feet, shaking out the lethargy in his limbs and stretching tight muscles. Aang bound to his feet next to him, his eyes shining. "That was amazing. I've never felt something so…so…energizing. Is it always like that?"

"That's your inner fire. Fire is life."

"But fire hurts," Aang said, gray eyes darting to the scar that spread across Zuko's left eye.

Zuko turned away, rolling his shoulders. "So does life. Now, the basics."

He had Aang mirror his movements until he was sure the airbender was able to move through the basics without stumbling or hesitating and then he stood back to watch Aang go through the motions several times before allowing any kind of bending. Aang's first attempt sent him tumbling and after two more tries, both boys were becoming frustrated.

"I can't do this," Aang exclaimed after the fourth time he picked himself off the ground. Soot smudged his hands and dirt covered his cheeks in muddy streaks.

Zuko pinched the bridge of his nose, seeking patience. He was suddenly feeling a great deal of sympathy for each and every one of his bending masters. "Don't be stupid. Try again."

"I've been trying. It keeps blowing up!"

"Firebending is not airbending," Zuko tried to explain for what felt like the millionth time. He was beginning to wonder how his uncle managed to stay sane. Maybe that's why he drank tea all the time. Zuko didn't feel like drinking tea. He felt like bashing his head against the nearest solid object. Maybe Uncle took his tea with a little something extra. Zuko certainly wouldn't blame him.

"I know that," Aang snapped.

Zuko rubbed the back of his neck, rolling his head back to look thoughtfully at the sky. "Uncle always says fire comes from the breath," he mused.

He contemplated that for a moment, concentrating on his inner fire and his breathing. Finally, he nodded and moved to Aang's side, assuming the first bending position. "Center yourself. Breathe in through your nose." He shifted through the position. "And out through your mouth. Release."

The blossom of flame that erupted from Aang's fist startled both of them and they froze. Aang suddenly gasped, straightening and spinning to face Zuko. "Did you see that? I did it! I can firebend!"

His enthusiasm teased a small smile from Zuko and he felt some of the tension across his shoulders ease. "It's a start."

"Hey, Sparky and Twinkletoes!" They turned toward Toph's call. The earthbender grinned. "Breakfast and then earthbending practice."

At the mention of food, Aang quickly headed back to camp, calling over his shoulder, "I'm going to show Katara my firebending!"

Zuko frowned after the retreating airbender, attributing the turning of his stomach to hunger. Toph greeted him with a none-too-gentle punch that grazed his arm and landed in his side. He rocked away from her with a cringing gasp. His ribs were better, but they were still tender. Blind eyes turned toward him and she drawled, "You're too easy on him."

Zuko gingerly prodded the area she'd punched, muttering, "Forcing someone to firebend can lead to disaster for everyone involved."

The scene that greeted them when they returned to camp made Zuko pause. Katara was standing in the middle of scattered supplies and digging through another bag that was once neatly packed. Sokka stood next to the fire with his bowl in his hand, gaping at his sister. "What are you doing?"

Katara didn't even glance up. "I'm looking for a tent."

Sokka frowned, eying the mess that looked like the camp had been struck by a natural disaster. "The sandbenders sold off a lot of our stuff. I don't think we got our tent back. Why?"

Katara sighed, brushing her hair out of her eyes and sitting back on her heels. "It's going to rain tonight. I don't really want to sleep in the mud."

"I like mud," Toph commented, taking the bowl Aang held out for her.

By Katara's expression Zuko could tell she was having difficulty coming up with a diplomatic response. Fortunately she was saved from commenting by Sokka. "Yeah, but you wouldn't want to sleep in the rain. It wouldn't be very comfortable. I don't want to camp in the rain." He paused, glancing toward the cloudless sky before skeptically asking, "Are you sure it's going to rain?"

"Yes."

Sokka mulled over the situation. Zuko dreaded what was coming next. He didn't want to spend the night in the rain any more than anyone else, but with no tent there was only one reasonable option left. It was no surprise when Sokka finally spoke, "We could go into town." Katara was already shaking her head, but he continued, "No one will notice Zuko. It's tourist season, right? What's one more firebender?"

"Except for that wanted poster," Zuko dryly offered.

"Looks like you and Sweetness are the only ones without wanted posters, Snoozles."

"I'm just as important as anyone else," Sokka protested.

Zuko looked at the earthbender in surprise. "You have a wanted poster?"

"Course I do," she said around a mouthful of jook. "I did this vigilante outlaw thing right."

"Having a wanted poster isn't exactly an honor," Aang pointed out. "And we're not vigilantes."

They all stared at him.

"Then what are we?" Toph asked.

Aang blinked, brow furrowing in consternation. "We're…we're righting a wrong."

"Right."

Sokka snorted at Toph's dry tone, clearing his throat when the others turned to look at him. "So we'll head into town later. We'll be able to scope out the area and see if there's any useful information to pass along."

"Useful to whom?" Zuko asked.

Sokka waved his hand, responding vaguely, "The others."

"Aang needs to practice earthbending first," Toph announced, smirking when Aang groaned into his jook.

The meal was finished shortly after that despite Aang's attempts to prolong finishing his portion. Jook tended to congeal as it cooled, turning into an unappetizing paste that could be mistaken for mortar. Toph dragged the protesting airbender off, boasting in the superiority of her own element. The dishes were swiftly washed and packed away again and the supplies was divided between the five of them.

Sokka retreated to the far side of the camp and spread his map out where a patch of sunlight filtered through the trees. The boy didn't seem to be paying any attention to the rest of the group. Gathering up his courage, Zuko approached Katara where she was setting aside a few things to leave in Appa's saddle. She glanced up briefly, offering a vague smile. "Hey, Zuko. Do you need something?"

Before he could find the words to form any kind of response, Sokka strolled over, shaking out his map. "I think we should start for the village when Toph finishes pounding Aang. It looks a distance away and we can't take Appa close. They're bound to have heard the rumors about a giant flying monster." Appa groaned and Sokka took a few hasty steps back. "I'm just saying, buddy. Momo can keep you company. Though I haven't seen the lemur in a while."

He pondered the animal's absence a moment before he shrugged the thought away and held out the map for them to see, tracing a trailing line to the area marked as the village. "See, we'll want to come in from the east side of the village, where the port is. Nothing's out this way so it'll draw attention if we stroll in off the fields."

"I guess the waterskins should be refilled," Katara mused.

Sokka nodded, cheerfully agreeing, "Good idea. It's a good distance to walk. Zuko and I will check the rations."

She gathered the waterskins that were scattered throughout the camp and went off toward the nearby stream without a glance back at them. Zuko sighed, shooting the other boy an annoyed frown. "You did that on purpose."

Sokka looked up from carefully rolling his map and sliding it into the leather tube, his expression free of guile. "Did what?"

.........

The Huo Hua Village was colorfully decorated in preparation of the fire lily festival that would occur over the next few weeks as the flowers bloomed. They received a few curious glances when they first entered, but Aang's over-the-top enthusiasm went a long way to providing an adequate excuse for their early arrival. Some polite enquiries of the locals told them that the fire lilies weren't expected to be in full bloom for another three weeks, but there were some early blossoms to see if they were interested. Aang, of course, was interested in everything and Sokka was interested in food. Toph trailed after them claiming that there was always someone willing to be swindled by a blind girl during festivals.

Zuko hung back, relieved that so far no one had thought to connect him to the wanted poster he'd seen on the local notice board. He was almost tempted to see if he could rip it down without anyone noticing. To his surprise, Katara also hung back though she was frowning in the direction of the hated wanted posters as well so perhaps she hadn't noticed she was alone with him yet. He cast a surreptitious glance around, taking note of what the others were doing. They were occupied. More importantly, Sokka was occupied. Seizing the opportunity, Zuko cleared his throat. "Katara—"

"Oh, have you come to see the fire lilies, dears?"

His mouth closed with a snap. Katara glanced up at him and together they turned. A hunched old woman stood behind them, smiling kindly. Blue eyes took them in with a sweeping glance that set Zuko's teeth on edge. Katara recovered from her surprise quickly and smiled in return.

"Yes. I—We'd heard the fire lilies were beautiful here," Katara said as she stepped closer to Zuko, looping her arm through his. He glanced down at the tan hand she rested on his bicep, surprised at the familiar touch. She edged closer, leaning against him and he covered her hand with his, giving it a brief squeeze before dropping it back to his side. The older woman watched the motion closely, her gaze lingering on Zuko's face.

"The fire lilies here are the most beautiful in the Fire Nation," the woman agreed. "It must be serious, then, for your beau to bring you so far. You are a long way from home, child. Blue eyes are rare in the Fire Nation."

Zuko twitched and Katara's hand flexed on his arm even as she blushingly ducked her head, bashfully glancing up at Zuko through her lashes. "My brother and I are from the Southern Water Tribe."

"I thought I recognized a fellow countrywoman," the woman exclaimed happily. "You look very much like someone I once knew a long time ago. Now, where is your brother? I miss Water Tribe men."

"He's probably gone in search of food. Oh, there he is!"

She rose up on her toes, stretching and waving to get her brother's attention. Zuko didn't turn to look, keeping his eyes on the old woman. She smiled at him. His skin crawled. When Katara leaned a little too heavily into him, he grunted and shifted to adjust to her weight. She tapped his cheek to draw his attention and he only realized he'd been scowling when she raised an eyebrow and frowned questioningly.

"Is something wrong?" she whispered.

He lifted a shoulder, looking away as Sokka and Aang joined them. He couldn't really explain why the uneasy feeling settled in his stomach and felt heavier the longer they were in the old woman's presence. He was even beginning to believe he was being paranoid, but he could swear he was seeing cold calculation in her eyes. Sokka greeted them, looking disgruntled to be pulled away from the food stalls. The earthbender was nowhere in sight.

"Where's Toph?" Katara asked.

Sokka shrugged. "She said something creepy and wandered off."

"Really creepy," Aang agreed.

Zuko wasn't too surprised to hear that. The earthbender seemed to derive pleasure from discomposing the rest of the group. Katara seemed to think so as well. "What did she say?"

Sokka made a face. "She heard screaming. Under ground."

The answer was strange enough to strike them momentarily speechless. Katara cleared her throat, glancing at the benignly smiling woman. "Right."

The strange conversation didn't seem to alarm the woman and her gaze shifted from Zuko to Sokka. She surveyed the Water Tribe boy with approval. "I am glad to see there are still handsome young men in the Water Tribes. Do you have a good Water Tribe girl waiting for you at home?"

Zuko scowled, immediately sensing the underlying slight directed toward him, but Sokka merely blinked at the woman in confusion. "Er…there aren't too many girls left in the Southern Water Tribe."

She looked momentarily saddened, but her expression shifted and she murmured, "That's a shame. It's going to rain tonight. You and your friends are welcome to stay at my place, Hama's Inn." She paused, her eyes sweeping the group and lingering on Zuko. His eyes narrowed and she pulled her gaze away, smiling at the rest of them. "Enjoy the festival. I'll have supper ready for you."

"Thank you," Katara answered.

With that, she nodded at them and shuffled away. When she was out of earshot, Sokka glanced at the still cloudless sky and turned to Katara, demanding, "How do you know it's going to rain? How does she know?"

"I can smell it."

"I can, too," Aang chimed in. "I have to concentrate though."

Sokka stroked his chin thoughtfully. "I guess that means we should find a place here."

Katara rolled her eyes. "That is why we came into the village to begin with. Besides, Hama offered rooms at her inn."

Zuko frowned at that, grumbling mulishly, "I don't trust her."

Katara sighed. "Zuko—"

"I hate to admit it," Sokka interrupted, "but I agree with Sparky on this one."

"Don't call me that."

Zuko was ignored as Katara opted to continue the argument with her brother. "She's a nice old woman, Sokka."

"Nice old women were once treacherous young women," Zuko pointed out. "And I don't think she's nice at all. Old or not."

"Zuko, you don't trust anyone—"

"For good reason!" he exclaimed.

"—so your vote doesn't count."

Zuko scowled at her and she met him with a scowl of her own. He knew on some level she was right. He didn't trust many people. He'd been burned too often to have that kind of unfailing faith in the goodness of people. Zuko winced at the analogy. Under Katara's glare, he could almost hear her saying, "Not everyone's out to get you."

Guilt began to rise with that realization. He clenched his teeth, knowing he should say something but not knowing what. To his surprise, the fight suddenly seemed to drain out of her and she sighed, her gaze growing distant. Aang, ever the peacemaker, piped up, "She seems nice."

Sokka scoffed, flipping his hand dismissively. "You trust everyone."

Aang looked affronted, puffing up his chest and denying hotly, "No, I don't."

"You do."

"So does that mean his vote doesn't count either?"

"Toph! When did you get here?" Katara asked with a start of surprise.

The earthbender grinned. "Just now, Sweetness. Why are we voting?"

Sokka motioned to his sister. "Katara wants to stay at the inn."

"Seems like a good plan," Toph agreed easily. "It's going to rain."

Sokka's jaw dropped. "You too?"

Toph shrugged. "I can smell it. So, what's the problem?"

Sokka's mouth snapped shut and he sniffed skeptically, still giving the young girl a wary look. Katara rolled her eyes and motioned to Sokka and Zuko. "They don't trust Hama."

"The crazy innkeeper?"

"She's not crazy," Katara protested. "She's from the Southern Water Tribe."

"And crazy doesn't happen in the South Pole," Toph drawled at the same time Sokka demanded, "Then what is she doing here?"

Katara put her hands on her hips, scowling at her brother. "Really, Sokka. She could be here for a number of reasons. We're here."

"We're here with the Avatar," Sokka said, jerking a thumb toward the airbender.

"Snoozles's got a point. Besides, there's only one inn in town so I'm voting to stay."

"But you said the innkeeper's crazy," Sokka exclaimed, sounding betrayed.

Toph frowned, digging her toes into the packed dirt road. "I'm curious about something."

Zuko glanced around the street. The merchants were already packing up their stalls and there were still a few hours before dusk. They were also looking anxious. "Something's not right."

Katara tilted her head to look up at him, giving him a comforting smile. "You worry too much."

.........

The market stalls closed well before sunset and the streets cleared rapidly after that. Katara wouldn't admit it, but the anxious glances the villagers cast toward the darkening mountains gave her the first thrill of unease. A quick check of the rest of the group and she found Zuko keeping an alert eye on their surroundings. His hands were flexing in an unconscious show of anxiety. Sokka was frowning. "Things have gotten stranger."

Katara couldn't help but silently agree. "Maybe we should just go to the inn."

The proposition was reluctantly agreed to and they turned their steps toward the inn that stood on the edge of the village closest to the mountain. Hama met them on the porch of the inn, ushering them through the door. "I'm so glad you're here before dark. It's not safe near the mountain at night right now."

Zuko hung back, eying the building with trepidation. Sokka didn't look any more eager to enter the inn than Zuko. A cold wind brought the scent of approaching rain and Katara knew neither boy could justify turning down shelter. Aang didn't seem troubled by similar thoughts. He curiously followed Hama to the common room where a table was already set up for dinner. Aang settled on a cushion, asking, "Why is now a bad time?"

Surprise crossed her weathered features. "Why? It's the three nights of the full moon." She encouraged them to sit around the table and serve themselves, settling herself at a comfortable distance. "The villagers believe something evil dwells in the mountain and draws the unwary night stroller to it and devours their soul."

Toph tilted her head thoughtfully, considering the story. "But you don't think so?"

A smile touched Hama's dry lips. "It is difficult to say. The villagers are a superstitious group. I do know that men, women, and even children have disappeared into the mountain during these nights and are never seen or heard from again."

Thunder crashed overhead and the entire group flinched. Hama laughed, touching her fingertips to her lips. "You have nothing to fear tonight, children. The rains have come and fewer people vanish during the monsoons."

Katara glanced around the table. Sokka shuddered and Toph frowned. Zuko and Aang had claimed seats next to her, but Zuko was picking at his food, his brow furrowed. She could hear the rain drumming against the roof and another roll of thunder punctuated the uncomfortable silence. Katara cleared her throat. "Will you tell us why you left the South Pole?"

Hama regarded her seriously, blue eyes darting beyond her to Zuko. The innkeeper gave a tired sigh and shook her head. "It's not a happy story and has much tragedy in it. Perhaps another time." She pushed away from the table, rising slowly to her feet. "If you are finished with dinner, I'll show you to your rooms."

Sokka inhaled the rest of his food and Zuko rose with Katara, moving closer to her side. He didn't meet her eyes when she looked up at him and she resisted the urge to reach for his hand. Hama guided them up the stairs and to the first room. Katara was surprised to find only two beds until she realized that Hama planned to separate them. "I thought you girls would like some privacy for a bit. It'll give you a chance for some girl time."

Katara surveyed the room. It was a cheerful, comfortable space. Fresh flowers filled a vase on the window ledge. Toph flopped inelegantly on the bed closest to the door and Zuko stepped into the room to check out the space, ignoring the disapproving frown Hama gave him. He paced the room, peering out the window at the rain pouring down outside. Katara touched his arm, drawing his suspicious contemplation away from the window. She smiled. "It'll be okay. You're just down the hall."

He nodded and his eyes made another critical sweep around the room before allowing himself to step back into the hall. The door closed behind him and she could hear Hama chivvying the boys down the hall. Katara sighed and dropped her small pack on the empty bed, giving the room a searching look in the same way Zuko had moments earlier. She would've felt better if they were all sharing a room. Or even if their rooms were closer!

Toph brought her dusty feet up onto her bed and gave a satisfied belch, drawing Katara's frown of disapproval. "I thought you came from a noble family."

The earthbender relaxed into her mattress, picking at her teeth. "Yeah? What about it?"

With a grimace, Katara shook her head and turned away. "Never mind."

Thunder rumbled across the sky and the occasional flash of lightning lit up the window as Katara prepared for bed. When she finally crawled beneath her covers the storm had passed and only the soothing sound of rain remained. It was then when Toph made a thoughtful noise and spoke up, "I think Sokka and Zuko are right."

Katara blinked, twisting around to look across the dim space at the other girl. "About what?"

"The innkeeper." Katara could hear the frown in Toph's voice. "She wasn't lying earlier, but something wasn't right."

"How so?"

"If I knew, I'd tell you." Toph shifted in her blankets. "I'd keep an eye on Sparky, though. She doesn't like him and she really doesn't like him near you."

"That's ridiculous," Katara scoffed, though it was weak.

"I know what I felt."

Toph fell asleep shortly after that, but Katara lay awake, mulling over the earthbender's words. The rain passed as the night progressed and she listened to the creaking sigh of the old inn settling. She was listening to the night insects emerge after the rain and counting the drips that fell from the eaves to splash against the windowsill outside when she realized she'd been hearing a soft murmur of voices in the hall outside her door. Pushing back her blankets, she quietly crept to the door and pressed her ear against the solid wood. The wood muffled the voices too much so she couldn't hear the words so, with a huff of annoyance, she gave up any pretense of stealth. She swung open the door and stepped out.

In the dim light of a candle, Katara could make the stooped form of Hama and the bright flash of gold eyes near the boys' room. Zuko. She frowned, recalling Toph's words. Her stomach turned and she made her way swiftly toward the pair.

"You're a dangerous one," Hama was saying. "I sense fire in you."

The words made Katara's skin crawl and she stopped just behind Hama and cleared her throat. "Lee? Is everything all right?"

Hama whirled to face her, a manic gleam in her eyes. Katara took a startled step back, her hands rising to ward off an attack she was sure to come. By the next heartbeat, Hama's expression cleared and Katara was wondering if the dim light had played a trick on her eyes.

"Oh, you're awake, my dear. Is anything wrong?"

Katara looked uncertainly between them, drawing her lip between her teeth. "I heard voices."

"Oh," Hama sighed easily. "I was asking this young man if he would be so kind as to bring in some firewood."

"In the middle of the night?"

Zuko remained silent, but a curious expression flashed across Hama's weathered features. "No, dear. In the morning." She turned to look over her shoulder at the silent firebender. "Thank you. You can leave it by the stove."

Zuko gave a jerky nod and Hama smiled brightly, wishing them both a good night. Katara watched her shuffle down the hall and round the corner before Zuko released a heavy breath and seemed to sag against the wall. "We are not staying here a second night."

"No," Katara murmured in agreement. She fidgeted, glancing in the direction Hama went. "I don't really want to go back to my room."

She knew she sounded ridiculously like a frightened child, but she caught a flash of gold eyes as Zuko pushed himself off the wall and jerked his head toward the room he was sharing with Sokka and Aang. "Come on, then."

"My brother…"

"We'll be awake long before your brother. Or Aang," he assured her.

.........

Katara jerked awake with a gasp, disoriented and panicked, at the first, brisk knock on the door. Her elbow connected with something solid, which earned her a pained grunt in her ear.

"Rise and shine, children! Breakfast is on the table," Hama called through the door.

Across the room, a familiar groan reached her, the sleep slurred complaint muffled by the bed clothes, "First time in ages I get to sleep in a real bed and some crazy lady wakes me up at the crack of dawn."

Aang grumbled his agreement, but so far neither of them moved. Katara turned wide eyes to Zuko, surprised that the firebender was not much more awake than either her brother or Aang. He was frowning at her — probably because she elbowed him in the stomach — and the mussy, sleepy look was rapidly fading from his eyes. She peeked over him at the beds across the room, thankful that she was against the wall and Zuko's body hid her from immediate detection if either boy would look. Sokka was sprawled out on his stomach, snoring loudly, and Aang was curled under his blankets

"I've got to go—I mean leave," Katara whispered, prodding Zuko's shoulder.

He rolled onto his back with a disgruntled sigh and Katara scrambled over him, ignoring the way his fingers dragged across her as he pulled away, and darted out the door as quietly as she could. She breathed a sigh of relief once the door closed silently behind her.

"Oh, there you are, dear." Katara jumped, spinning around to come face-to-face with Hama's pale gaze. The innkeeper looked from her to the door she'd just slid out of, tsking quietly. "You should be more discerning in the company you keep. And when you keep it."

Katara flushed, stammering, "It's not what it looks like."

"Why buy the cow when the milk is free, dear?" Hama spared her another disapproving frown and shuffled past her. "I would like to tell you a story after you break your fast. I'll be in the garden."

Katara took a last look at the closed door to the boys' room and then followed Hama to the kitchen. Toph was hunched over a steaming bowl of porridge, her expression groggy. The earthbender grunted when Katara sank into a seat next to her. "Morning, Sweetness. Have a good night?"

Katara frowned. "It wasn't like that."

Toph made a skeptical sound, but subsided when the boys stumbled through the door. Sokka dropped onto a cushion at the table, yawning widely. "I'm starving."

Sokka piled food into a bowl, mumbling a vague "good morning" to Toph's pointed greeting. Aang joined Sokka in enthusiastically consuming the food laid out on the table. Zuko hesitated in the doorway, sweeping a searching gaze around the kitchen before he took his seat and accepted the bowl Katara passed him. His eyes flashed to meet hers before swiftly moving away. Zuko methodically shredded a small loaf of bread without consuming any of it.

Katara gave up picking apart her food and pushed her plate away, rising to her feet. Her motions drew the other's attention. Sokka glanced pointedly at her abandoned plate. "You're not going to eat that?"

She grimaced and pushed it toward him. "No. I'm going to talk to Hama."

"Right," Sokka agreed, shifting his attention to Zuko for a moment. "We're heading back to camp today."

Katara nodded, lingering for several seconds as she debated speaking to Zuko. The firebender was focused intently on his bowl though he didn't seem interested in eating. With a sigh, she went in search of Hama. She found the innkeeper tending an extensive garden. Hama smiled when she saw Katara, setting aside her watering can. "There you are, child. Are you ready to go?"

"Go?" Katara asked uncertainly, looking up from examining an odd plant.

Hama dusted her hands against her apron, reaching for a basket Katara hadn't noticed. "I must go to the market and I'd like your company. We'll also be able to talk in confidence. There are things I'd like to tell you."

Katara absently accepted the basket held out to her and Hama shuffled back to the kitchen, commenting with a wink, "Let me give the boys something to do. You've got to keep them busy so they stay out of trouble." She pushed open the door, calling, "Will you boys restock my firewood?"

Katara couldn't hear the answer, but Hama nodded with satisfaction and motioned for Katara to walk with her. The morning was cool and water puddled along the road from the previous night's rain. Merchants were opening their stalls in the square and Katara amused herself by examining various trinkets offered. They gradually made their way to grocer's corner.

"It was over sixty years ago when the raids started," Hama said suddenly and Katara set down the melon she was examining, looking at the old woman in surprise. Gran-Gran had rarely mentioned the raids, merely stating that it was a terrible time for the Water Tribes. Hama handed off a few coins and placed her purchase in the basket Katara had hooked over her arm and guided the younger girl to the next stall. "They came again and again, each time rounding up more of our waterbenders and taking them captive. We did our best to hold them off, but our numbers dwindled as the raids continued. Finally, I too was captured. I was led away in chains."

"Why are you telling me this?"

Hama leveled Katara with a serious look that put a chill in her blood. "The Fire Nation are cruel, heartless people. Don't trust any of them." She tucked the last of her purchases into the basket and took Katara's arm. "There, that should be everything. Come along, dear, I want to prepare a real Water Tribe meal for you and your friends before you leave me."

The panicked feeling from the night before returned. Zuko hadn't told her what had happened in the hall before Katara arrived, but she'd sensed the fading fear behind his eyes. He hadn't protested when she'd wanted to stay with him despite the close proximity to her brother and Aang. Something wasn't right. "But," she stammered, "we were going to start home today."

"Oh, tosh," Hama said with a dismissive wave of her hand. "Stay another night. It'll be safer tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?"

"Yes. Tonight's the last night of the full moon," Hama said as if that explained everything.

The walk back to the inn was made in silence and Hama shooed her off to bide her time until supper was ready. Katara found Sokka and Zuko behind the inn and a good distance from the building, leaning over a well-worn map and speaking in hushed tones. She joined them, sitting beside her brother and asking, "Where are Toph and Aang?"

To her surprise, both boys frowned and Sokka made a vague gesture toward the mountains. "She took him out to check something. We'll meet up with them at the campsite."

Katara grimaced. "About that. Hama's not letting us go until tomorrow. I couldn't insist on leaving without sounding suspicious."

Sokka exchanged an uneasy glance with Zuko, then folded up the map and tucked it away. "We'll think of something."

Unfortunately, they were no closer to a solution when they were finally called in for supper.

.........

The evening meal was a silent affair and Katara was almost relieved when it was deemed late enough to turn in for the night. Sokka had watched their host through narrowed eyes — though that didn't stop him from consuming enough food for a small army — and Zuko refused to meet anyone's eye and instead sat stiffly and ate hardly anything. She missed Toph and Aang's presence. At least, between the two of them, the tension wouldn't have been as thick.

Hama noted and dismissed Aang and Toph's absence with barely a flicker of concern.

With a sigh, Katara turned onto her back and gazed up at the shadowed ceiling. The room felt threatening without Toph's presence and the sounds of the night lacked their normally soothing effects. A floorboard creaked and she held her breath, straining to hear. Nothing. She exhaled slowly, silently chiding herself for jumping at shadows, and attempted to relax. A door slammed below and she shot upright, snatching her waterskin from the bedpost. Footsteps thundered up the stairs and she flung her covers back, wrenching her door open and nearly ran into her brother as he came barreling down the corridor. Sokka seized her hand immediately, dragging her back to the stairs. "You've got to come quick!"

Katara gasped, tripping down the stairs. "Wait! Sokka, what's going on?"

"She got him," her brother exclaimed. "Hurry!"

They hit the dirt and gravel path and Katara wished she'd thought to grab her shoes. The full moon overhead gave her enough light to read the fearful expression Sokka was trying to hide. It made her own fear she'd been trying to ignore rush to the surface. "Who?"

"Hama. She's crazy. She's got Zuko. She's doing something."

She winced when she stepped on a rock she hadn't seen in the dim light. "You're going to have to explain."

Sokka hurried her along, explaining in a muddled flow of words, "I had to visit the outhouse. I was only gone a minute, you know. When I came out I saw them — Zuko and that crazy innkeeper Hama. Hama was saying all kinds of crazy stuff and dragging Zuko along. It sounded painful."

Katara struggled to keep up, gasping as she stumbled again as they followed a darker path under the trees. How could Zuko be dragged somewhere he didn't want to go? "That doesn't make sense! She's an old woman."

"She's doing weird magic stuff," Sokka insisted.

Katara felt a sinking feeling, but the next moment they heard a voice speaking and then they stumbled into a break in the trees. Hama's hands were raised before her like claws, a manic gleam in her eyes. "You invaded my home — raped and pillaged and killed. You threw me into prison to rot, along with my brothers and sisters."

Hama's fingers flicked and Zuko convulsed, grunting in pain. Katara started forward, hardly noticing Sokka's grip tightening on her arm before disappearing. "Zuko!"

Hama jerked in surprise and Zuko stumbled a step, but the next instant the firebender was still and the innkeeper threw out her hand toward Katara. It felt like every muscle in her body seized up. She couldn't move. Hama ignored her, sneering at Zuko. "I should have known. The whole Fire Nation is full of bad blood, but yours is the worst."

Zuko hadn't said a word and he looked as if he was struggling just to breathe.

"What are you doing?"

A wild grin spread across Hama's face. "I am releasing you from the spell this monster has you under. You will thank me in the end."

Katara strained against the invisible hold. "Let me go!"

"Patience, my girl," Hama cooed. "It'll be over soon."

Zuko caught her eyes, gasping, "Katara—"

"Don't speak to her!" Hama shrieked and Zuko fell silent with a choking grunt. Her fingers twitched and Zuko drew his dao swords with jerking movements, pressing the sharp point against his stomach. "See?" she purred. "I am willing to give you an honorable death."

"Don't do this," Katara begged, her voice trembling. "Please don't do this."

Sweat shone on Zuko's brow and muscles rippled as he struggled to regain control of his body. Hama's fingers curled even more and she bared her teeth, snarling, "It's impossible to fight your way out of my grip! The moon gives me strength. I control every muscle — every vein in your body! Give up. Give in. So many of you demons have destroyed homes—ruined lives—but I will free her with your death."

Katara wanted to close her eyes. She wanted to make everything disappear. Zuko's labored breaths were so loud in her ears she almost missed the soft hiss of a sword being unsheathed, but there was no way she could miss Sokka hurtling himself from the trees across the clearing with a wordless battle cry. Somehow he'd managed to circle the clearing without being noticed in an attempt to carry out a surprise attack. Unfortunately, his assault was halted quickly. It almost looked like he'd hit an invisible wall or tripped over his own feet and he landed hard on his knees.

"Katara!"

Aang burst into the clearing, staff poised and ready to deal a sweeping blow. Hama's hand shot out toward the airbender and his staff fell from nerveless fingers. Katara half noticed Aang's startled look of surprise, her attention caught by the brief lessening of her invisible bonds. In that moment while Hama's attention was caught by the attacks, Zuko's sword also fell from his grasp. Katara moved, gathering the water around her before the hold clamped down on her again. She nearly cried in despair when she lost her hold on the water.

"Not yet! Sit and watch," Hama commanded, turning crazed blue eyes on Katara. "I do this for our people. For you. Why do you struggle?"

Katara glared, working her way through the panic that had fogged her thinking. Hama gazed at her for several moments before understanding lit in her eyes, followed quickly by disgust. "Ah, I see. No doubt you believe you love him. Perhaps you should be the one to end his life and break the curse."

Frustration and helplessness leaked out in tears as she fought against the force that propelled her forward in shuffling steps.

"That's it," Hama crooned. "Take the sword."

Her fingers brushed the braided leather of the sword hilt and she met Zuko's gaze. Time seemed to slow, their breathing harsh in her ears and the unfamiliar weight of the sword in her hand as she straightened. Her arm rose to bring the sword down in a killing stroke and suddenly time was spinning out of control.

"Some say magic. Others say blood bending."

Huu's words from months ago shouted in her mind and she gasped, screaming out, "No!"

Katara lashed out, her hands moving instinctively, her senses following along nerve and blood and ignoring Hama's shocked gasp and panicked cry, "Stop!"

Katara's heart leapt to her throat and she struck blindly. Hama shrieked, the sound grating against her ears and making her hair stand on end, before the sound was cut off with a choked gasp and Hama collapsed like a marionette with severed strings. Sokka and Aang stumbled as they regained control of their bodies. Katara let her arms drop to her sides, panting, the fog of panic and fear slowly dissipating, the adrenaline making her limbs tremble. A sword clattered to the ground and Zuko sank to his knees with a pained groan, his hand pressing against his stomach to staunch the flow of blood.

In a daze, she felt the earth rumble and a jumble of voices talking over each other. Someone grabbed her by the arms and gave her a sharp shake, snapping, "Katara, snap out of it!"

She blinked, recognizing her brother face. She suddenly realized Toph had arrived and had trapped an unmoving Hama in a prison of stone. The earthbender's face was hard and unforgiving as she paced around the stone prison.

"You're going to need a healer, Zuko."

Aang's worried voice snapped her out of her daze and she whirled toward Zuko, stumbling on unsteady legs. She knelt at his side, reaching for the bloodied hands he had pressed against his wound, swallowing back bile that rose in her throat. Her voice quivered when she spoke, the words coming out more as a plea than an order, "Lean back, let me see."

Her hands trembled as she worked and she had to stop frequently to dash away tears. The wound gradually closed and Zuko's breathing came easier. She choked on a sob and Zuko shifted. "Katara—"

"I'm sorry," she sobbed, interrupting him in a burst. "I'm sorry. I didn't know she was a waterbender. I'm sorry."

She let Zuko draw her closer and she pressed her forehead against his shoulder, clutching at his bloodstained tunic as she let the panic and fear flow out in tears. She barely heard his whispered assurances or Sokka's declaration that Hama was struck down by apoplexy, but that she was still breathing. Immediate concerns attended to, Toph pulled up a stone seat and dropped onto it. "You know, you two really should work on your ambushing techniques."
Sign up to rate and review this story