Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Rescue Me

Upsetting the Status Quo

by hootowl 0 reviews

* Sophocles ** Chinese proverb Dragon Fruit. Such a thing exists and so does the legend, apparently. Well, part of what I have in this chapter. I made up some of it. Anyway, the fruit's rather co...

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG - Genres: Romance - Characters: Katara,Zuko - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2020-04-11 - 6538 words - Complete

0Unrated
Zuko stirred awake to the sound of someone's sleepy complaint. Gray, predawn light filtered through the crack in the curtains allowing him to see that both Aang and Sokka were sprawled across their beds. Sokka was snoring away with abandon, but Aang's sleep looked troubled. Zuko rolled out of bed with a stifled groan, his muscles protesting loudly. He took a moment to gain his bearings and then shuffled to Aang's bed to shake the airbender awake. Grey eyes popped open, darting anxiously around the room before he looked up at the older boy. "Zuko…"

He straightened stiffly and studied the smaller boy for a moment. "Looked like a nightmare."

Aang shuddered, looking away. "Yeah."

Zuko sighed. He didn't do this comforting thing. That was more along Katara's line of work. "Do you want to," he winced over his words, "talk about it?"

For a heart-stopping moment, Zuko thought Aang would take him up on his offer, but Aang swiftly shook his head and he breathed an internal sigh of relief. Iroh may be more openly affectionate and caring than his brother, but he was still a military man. Zuko stood awkwardly beside the bed until he decided that a retreat was in order. He gave Aang a firm nod and crossed the room to the door

"Zuko?" He paused in the door, looking over his shoulder at Aang. The airbender flashed him a bright smile. "Thanks."

He ducked his head, quickly leaving the room and quietly closing the door behind him. The inn was peaceful and quiet as Zuko turned his steps toward the yard. With all the excitement that occurred during the night, Zuko felt off balance. Meditation would fix that for the time being. Leaving the village behind would fix it completely. He doubted the others would want to stay another night and he knew Katara would insist on leaving as quickly as possible. Hama's bloodbending ability had shaken her and would no doubt bring about a resurgence of the nightmares from the winter.

At the top of the stairs a weak cough drew his attention to a partially open door and a low murmur of voices. Zuko hesitated. Listening at keyholes was more Azula's style, but he sometimes wondered if he could have changed things if he'd followed his sister's example. Making a decision, he inched closer to the door.

"You're a traitor," a weak voice rasped, slurring the words. "A traitor to your tribe and your family."

Zuko held his breath, nudging the door open a little more so he could see inside. Katara stood beside the bed, her expression set as she tended to Hama. The innkeeper lay on the bed, looking gaunt and gray, though her eyes flashed angrily.

"You're wrong," Katara said.

"Am I?" Hama asked. She struggled briefly and then lifted her right hand to grasp at Katara's arm. "The Fire Nation people are cruel and cunning. They'll use whatever means to achieve their ends. The royal family is the worst."

Thin fingers dug into Katara's arm, but Katara didn't pull away. He could see her shoulders tense and could just imagine the glare on her face. "You don't know him."

"From a bad crow, a bad egg."*

Feet hit the floor with a thump and Toph appeared in view, unerringly grabbing Hama's hand and pulling it away from Katara. "You spew poison, lady, and it's rotting you from the inside out. Sparky's here for you, Sweetness. You should go."

Katara stepped back from the bed, her head turning toward the door. She met his gaze briefly and nodded. Zuko flushed at being caught eavesdropping. Katara glanced around the room then approached the door, giving him a sweeping look.

"Are you injured?" Katara asked briskly.

Zuko shook his head, looking over his shoulder to glare at the incapacitated woman on the bed. The left side of Hama's face sagged tiredly and the snarl she directed at him was lopsided. Katara pushed him out into the hall, pulling the door to, and stated, "You're up early. Even for you. Nightmare?"

"Aang," Zuko said by way of explanation. He didn't want to even admit his own reoccurring nightmares that seemed twice as bad now.

Katara's compassionate frown made him look away uncomfortably. He wondered if she could sense the partial truth. She glanced back toward the bedroom he shared with the other boys. "Is he awake now?"

"He was."

She considered her thoughts for a moment before meeting his eyes. "Are you going to meditate?" He nodded and she looped her arm through his. "I think I'll join you."

She practically dragged him down the stairs and out into the garden. Zuko felt his shoulders relax once they left the inn and he took a deep breath. Katara seemed to realize she was clutching his arm, because she dropped it and lead the way down a winding path. They found a rickety wooden bench tucked behind a weeping tree and protected from the windows of the inn. Katara dropped onto the bench, ignoring the protesting groan from the wooden joints, and Zuko took a seat next to her. They watched the sky lighten in silence.

Just before dawn, Zuko closed his eyes and focused on his breathing. The familiar crescendo of the sun rising was comforting and he immediately felt better for meditating.

"She's paralyzed on her left side."

Katara had waited until the sun was completely above the horizon before speaking. Zuko looked at her, taking in her arms folded across her stomach and her hunched shoulders. Guilt radiated from every line of her body.

"It's not your fault."

She looked skeptical. "It's not? I grabbed her blood — I yanked it. I was careless."

Zuko shivered at the memory. He'd been trying to ignore the entire experience. The possibility of death had presented itself before, but it'd never really crossed his mind that death was final. Not even at his lowest point. He'd had a blasé outlook on death, but when faced with it — with his death — by a force outside his control, he discovered that he didn't want to die. He'd wanted to live. Uncle Iroh would've probably had some philosophical quote about the follies of youth.

Zuko started to reach for her and then changed his mind, shifting his attention to the drooping tree behind them. "I'm surprised she has this tree."

Katara frowned, puzzled for a moment before following his gaze. "Why?"

He touched a thick leaf that hung low near her shoulder. He felt ridiculous. "It's dragon heart fruit. They say that when a dragon is defeated, with its last breath, the dragon produces its heart. Those who feasted on the flesh were endowed with the strength and ferocity of the dragon."

Katara's fingers brushed the leaf, skimming his fingers. He didn't know why he was telling her stupid Fire Nation legends. Maybe his uncle was right and he didn't know what to do with a girl when he had her alone. Uncle had tried—

"How'd the tree get here?"

Her question snapped him from his castigating thoughts and for a moment he was at a loss for what she was asking. His cheeks burned and he dropped his hand from the leaf, avoiding her curious gaze. "A man named Ju-Long accidentally killed a young dragon. In his remorse, he buried the dragon's heart. Each year he returned to the site to beg forgiveness. One year, he discovered a tree had grown over the heart and was bearing fruit. He took it as a sign of forgiveness. Dragons are extinct now, so the tree weeps."

Her expression dropped and she examined the spiky, bright red fruit. "That makes me sad."

Zuko cringed internally. Why did he have to tell her a sad story? He'd been trying to muster up his courage to bridge the gap his careless words weeks before had caused, but failed and instead made her even sadder than she was to begin with. Not that he was a particularly happy person anyway. He startled when she leaned into his shoulder and released a quiet sigh. Perhaps now was as good a time as any to clear things up completely between them. Tension had eased between them, but he knew he had to tell her he'd made a mistake. His palms suddenly felt clammy and he cleared his throat. "Katara? I—"

"Hey, you two!" Toph shouted into the garden and Zuko flinched violently away from Katara, nearly toppling the girl from the bench. "Come eat so we can get moving before the entire village comes after Sparky."

Zuko surged to his feet, cheeks red, and turned back toward the inn. Katara sighed, rising and brushing imaginary dirt from her skirts. She took two steps past Zuko before pausing and looking back at him. "Were you going to say something?"

The look in her eyes was encouraging, but he felt his previous courage shrivel and die. The others would come looking for them if they didn't show up soon. He shook his head, muttering, "Never mind."

He missed the flash of disappointment that crossed her face before she smiled. "Okay."

.............

Sokka, Toph, and Aang were seated at one end of the table, each holding bowls of cold rice, when Zuko and Katara came in through the back door. Sokka's map was spread out on the table in front of them and the Water Tribe boy turned a grumpy frown on them. "It's about time you guys got here."

"Katara!" Aang exclaimed over Sokka's complaint, dropping his bowl onto the table and nearly leaping to his feet.

"Not on the map!" Sokka cried, horrified, and scooped up the bowl to shove back at the airbender. "It's not a tablecloth!"

"It can work as one," Toph garbled through a mouth full of rice.

Sokka glared at her, tugging the map further away from the girl. "And don't you put your feet on it again. They're filthy."

Toph rolled her eyes. "It's just dirt."

"You nearly obliterated the Northern Water Tribe last time," Sokka argued, pointing an accusing finger at the smudged portion near the top of the map.

She shrugged, swallowing her mouthful of rice. "From what I understand, there wasn't much left after Twinkletoes's rampage."

Aang flushed. "That was Zhao!"

"Whatever."

Sokka cleared his throat, interrupting the impending argument. Katara lifted an eyebrow at Zuko as she gathered a bowl of rice and a wedge of a moon peach from the end of the table and found a seat. Zuko took the seat next to her on the bench, but scooted further down the bench at Sokka's raised eyebrows. Satisfied, he turned to the map. "Yesterday we decided that we'd make a stop at the Western Air Temple for a week or so—"

Aang made a sound of protest, but didn't say anything when they turned to him with lifted eyebrows. Sokka tapped a location northwest of their position. "Aang needs to work on his firebending. It's an out of the way location so no one will notice us. Especially if Aang keeps blowing Zuko up."

Toph gave a snort of laughter. "He could work on his earthbending as well."

"I've mastered earthbending," Aang whined.

"As if! I can still wipe the floor with you."

"You've had more practice than me."

"Exactly."

Sokka sighed in annoyance. "If you two are finished?"

They subsided into silence, Aang glaring at the earthbender mutinously. Sokka cleared his throat again, placing his empty rice bowl aside and pressing his fingertips against the map. "The Fire Sages told Aang to stop the Fire Lord by the Summer Solstice so—"

Zuko straightened sharply, interrupting, "Why?"

Sokka blinked in confusion, looking at Zuko. "What?"

"Why the Summer Solstice?" he reiterated. "There has to be a reason."

Sokka hesitated and Zuko could tell he didn't want to give away his information, but was unsure how to hide it without seeming like he was hiding something. Zuko grit his teeth. He knew the other boy didn't trust him, but it still stung to have it pointed out to him so obviously. Sokka shifted, prevaricating, "Umm…"

"There's a comet," Aang finally offered when it became apparent that Sokka wasn't going to say.

A chill washed over Zuko and the feeling of dread he'd been trying to ignore since Ba Sing Se intensified. How could he have forgotten? Everything that happened in the last one hundred years revolved around that comet. Katara frowned, looking at Aang and then her brother. "A comet."

"Sozin's Comet," Zuko supplied the name, his voice sounding distant to his ears.

"Right," Sokka agreed briskly. "Anyway, I was thinking that if we can't position our troops before then, we should wait until after—"

"That's a stupid idea," Zuko cut him off again.

Sokka ran a hand down his face, his annoyance growing, and demanded, "Why? It'd give Aang more time to train and we can come up with a better plan."

"Sozin wiped out an entire nation at the last comet," he reminded them with a half-frantic motion toward Aang. "What do you think my—Ozai is going to do during this one? Have a tea party?"

A heavy silence fell over the group as his last sarcastic question washed over them. They shifted uncomfortably in their seats until Toph attempted to lighten the mood. "Well, if he's anything like your uncle—"

"He's not," he snarled, in no mood to humor anyone.

They were going to get themselves killed! They were going to get him killed. And Katara because she wouldn't let her brother barrel headfirst into death without company. A cool hand slipped into his beneath the table and gave it a gentle squeeze. Katara. He clung to her hand and took a deep breath to calm the swelling panic. There was no plan and he could hardly believe it. He thought they'd have at least something in mind.

Sokka drummed his fingers against the table, gazing at a point in the distance as he thought. Eventually he focused back on the map. "Regardless, the first part of the plan doesn't change. We'll still go to the Air Temple and train. Then we've got to meet up with the others."

Katara tilted her head, her brow creasing. "Others?"

Sokka gave Zuko a wary glance, but answered his sister, "Dad's captured several Fire Nation ships." He shot the firebender a smug look. "We've discovered the Fire Nation's darkest day."

Zuko leapt to his feet with a curse, jarring the table with his sudden movement. "Are you serious? That's suicide!"

Toph sighed, resting her chin in her palm. "Cool it, Fire-Pants."

Sokka looked taken aback by the violent outburst, his hand twitching toward the hilt that rose over his shoulder before deciding that Zuko wasn't going to attack him. Katara tugged on Zuko's hand. "What is he talking about, Zuko?"

He glared across the table. "Your brother—"

Sokka interrupted him, probably tired of being interrupted himself, declaring proudly, "I discovered when the Fire Nation loses all its bending capabilities."

Katara stared at her brother, lips pursed, then sought clarification. "Zuko?"

He rubbed a tired hand over his eyes. "There's a solar eclipse coming up in a few weeks."

The Water Tribe boy took over, explaining enthusiastically, "And that's when we go on the offensive! BAM! Right through their defenses, take out the powerless Fire Lord and Sparky's crazy sister and…victory! World peace."

"My father is never powerless," Zuko deadpanned.

Sokka ignored him. "We'll just waltz right in—"

"You won't get past the harbor."

Katara cut in before her brother could continue his idealized campaign. "Sokka, I think we should listen to Zuko."

Sokka wilted, looking betrayed. "But I'm the plan-man!"

Zuko put his hand on the table, leaning forward and demanding, "Do you have a plan to get through several battalions of armed soldiers?"

Toph spoke up from where she'd been absently picking at her callouses. "I thought the Fire Nation was elitist."

Zuko jerked back as if struck, memories half-forgotten flooding in a jumbled mess to the front of his mind. New recruits…diversion…not a bender among them…worthless…A thousand men tossed aside without an ounce of compassion. Men betrayed. Families broken. His fists clenched. Bujing had no honor. Neither did anyone else on the council. Zuko glared darkly at the memories. "They are."

Toph frowned, muttering, "Well, this is a cheerful conversation."

Sokka shook himself from his disappointment at Toph's words. "We still have to leave and the air temple is the best place to remain undetected." He grudgingly looked at Zuko. "I guess we need to strategize."

Toph pushed her bench back, standing and cracking her back. "Great. Grab your bags. The village leader said he'd keep an eye on Hama. He's not too impressed with her puppet act."

"What's going to happen to her?" Katara asked.

The earthbender shrugged, unconcerned. "Probably a trial and a harsh penalty. Does the Fire Nation have a death penalty, Sparky?"

"Yes."

Aang gasped, horrified. "Do you think she'll actually…"

He trailed off, looking ill at the thought. Toph frowned in the airbender's direction. "She kidnapped people, Twinkletoes, and she didn't ever intend for them to escape. Some of them didn't survive."

"But it's wrong," Aang protested weakly.

Sokka sighed, rolling up his map and storing away again. "It's outside your control, Aang. Let's get going."

The hike back to where they'd left Appa was made in near silence. Aang and Sokka lead the way, Sokka grumbling under his breath and swiping at low hanging branches. Toph had hung back with Zuko and Katara until she declared that they were boring and moved up to try to trip Aang. Katara matched her steps to his, glancing at his scowl before asking, "Is it really such a bad plan?" At his puzzled look, she clarified, "The eclipse."

His brow furrowed and he turned his eyes back to the path they were making through the forest. "My father will be expecting something like that. He'd probably set up a trap of some sort."

Katara hummed. "An eclipse isn't exactly subtle."

Zuko snorted a laugh. "No."

"Is there a way you can use your father's expectations against him?" Katara mused a few minutes later.

Zuko stopped, looking at her in surprise. "What?"

She blushed, shrugging. "You know, shake the rattle so he doesn't notice the stick. If he's expecting us to do something, maybe we should."

"A bluff?"

He knew he sounded incredulous, but he couldn't help himself. Katara bit her lip, glancing at the others as the distance between them widened. "Do you think that's a dumb idea?"

"Appa! We're back! Did you miss us?"

Aang's joyous shout prevented further conversation and they hurried to catch up with the others. Zuko wondered if a bluff might actually work.

.............

The air temple looked much the same as the last time he'd seen it almost three years ago, but the approach on Appa lent itself to a greater appreciation of its construction. The mosaics really were beautiful in the light of the setting sun. He would never admit to his uncle that the temple impressed him. The Water Tribe siblings were more vocal in their amazement. Aang was quiet and pale in his place on Appa's head and Toph simply looked bored and ready to have her feet firmly on the ground again.

"It's upside down," Sokka said for probably the fifth time since they entered the gorge. "How did they do that?"

Again, no one answered. Zuko doubted he was actually looking for an answer anyway. Katara had hung over the edge of the saddle, staring at the canyon floor and the architectural marvel in the cliff face. She caught his pensive mood and, with a glance to ensure her brother was otherwise occupied, scooted across the saddle to his side. "You look like you've seen it before."

Zuko glanced away from the temple, briefly meeting her eyes. "I came with my uncle."

She brushed her hair out of her eyes, her expression curious. "When? I thought you were on a ship."

"Shortly after — I was thirteen."

Understanding crossed her features and she reached for his hand. They were approaching an open courtyard and Zuko pointed it out. "That's where I vowed to find the Avatar."

Her lips quirked and her eyes shone with her amusement. "It didn't work out quite the way you thought it would."

He tucked a strand of loose hair behind her ear, meeting her eyes. "No."

Color rose in her cheeks that had nothing to do with the cool wind whipping around them. Appa landed with a snuffling groan and they broke away from each other just as Sokka turned and scrambled for the back of the saddle to slide down the sky bison's tail. "We're here! Let's check it out!"

"Right behind you, Snoozles. I can't wait to get off this flying shag rug."

Appa rumbled and his head swung around to look at Toph as she slid to the ground. She patted Appa's leg. "You know I love you, big guy."

She took several steps away from the bison before her unseeing eyes widened and she breathed, "This is amazing. How did they build it?"

Zuko stood, gathering some of the bedrolls and offering a hand to assist Katara over the lip of the saddle. Not that she needed help. It'd been an absent-minded gesture as he'd been distracted by the activity occurring on the ground, but the smile she gave him in return made his heart quicken. She was accepting the bedrolls he was passing down to her when Sokka skidded back into the courtyard. "There are some pretty cool rooms around. Where are the bedrooms?"

Aang didn't answer and everyone turned to find he hadn't moved from his spot between Appa's horns. Zuko passed the last of the bedrolls down then dropped to the ground. Katara frowned, walking around Appa. "Aang? Is something wrong?"

He turned a blank expression on her for a moment. "What?"

"Are you okay? Sokka asked where the dormitories were—"

The strange mood vanished in an instant and his more characteristic grin appeared. He grabbed his glider and jumped to the ground, taking Katara's hand. "Come on, I'll show you."

She dropped the bedroll she'd been holding as the excited airbender dragged her away. With a last helpless, befuddled look over her shoulder, they disappeared into the dim corridors of the air temple. Sokka shook his head, turned to the bags that'd been piled next to Appa and hefting their rations pack. "I suppose you know where he's taking her?"

The question was directed at Toph who waved vaguely. "Sure. First right, up the stairs, another right and you should be able to hear them."

Sokka frowned, grabbed two bedrolls. "If I get lost, you'll have to find me."

"Sure thing."

Sokka followed after Aang and his sister and Zuko turned to grab the rest of the gear only for Toph to suddenly speak up, "He likes her, you know."

"What?"

"Aang," she clarified. "His heart jumps all over the place when she's around or when she talks to him. He gets so nervous. No wonder he trips over his own feet. He didn't use to do that."

Zuko tried to ignore the way his heart had skipped a beat at her words, though by Toph's smirk he knew she'd caught it. "Okay."

She slugged him in the arm and snatched a roll from his hand. It turned out, Aang and Katara were easy to find. They just had to follow the excited airbender's whoops of joy.

.............

The days passed quickly and, when Zuko rolled out of his bedroll with a tired groan on the third day, he could feel every day he'd missed practicing his firebending over the past few months. His muscles ached and he just knew he was shuffling like a man three times his age. He was just thankful he was the first one awake in the mornings so he wasn't subject to the humiliation in front of the others.

Rubbing at the knotted muscles in his neck, Zuko stumbled toward the door to rouse Aang for meditation. The sun was still below the horizon and it took several nudges before Aang grunted that he was awake. Zuko waited until the airbender sat up and pushed aside his blankets before leaving him. A quick stop by the washroom to splash cold water on his face and Zuko was as ready for the day as his stiff muscles could be.

Aang was asleep sitting upright when Zuko dropped next to him a few moments later. Not that the firebender could blame him. Aang had been working hard though he didn't seem nearly as stiff as Zuko felt. Maybe it was his youth? Zuko grimaced. He was starting to sound like his uncle.

"Aang." The airbender drooped a little more so Zuko nudged him, repeating a little louder, "Aang."

The younger boy shot upright, gasping sharply. "I'm awake!"

"I see that," Zuko grunted. "You're supposed to meditate and balance your inner fire for the day…not fall asleep again."

Aang's eyes were already drooping again by the time Zuko finished speaking and he mumbled, "'m balanced. So relaxed. Avatar. One with all the elements. Sleepy."

Zuko sighed. "Try to stay awake then."

Aang hummed a vague agreement and sunk into a half-lidded stupor. Zuko eyed him for a moment and then turned to his own meditation. Clearing his mind proved more difficult than he anticipated. Aang's firebending had improved by leaps and bounds, but Zuko didn't think he'd have enough control before the comet. They only had three days before they had to meet up with Chief Hakoda. His stomach twisted with dread and he fisted his hands on his knees, forcing a calming breath. By all accounts he'd heard, the Southern Water Tribe Chief was a fair and just leader. Still, it didn't ease his mind that there seemed to be some kind of contention between Sokka and the Chief. And Katara—

"Do you have a girlfriend?"

Zuko jerked out of his thoughts and turned to look at the airbender next to him. He started to answer, but lost the words before they even formed. Aang didn't seem concerned with a response, frowning instead at his own thoughts. "How do you tell a girl you like her? Like like-like her?"

Zuko felt his heart skip a beat and he swallowed thickly. "I—"

"Sokka said girls like flowers and pretty things, but I've never seen him give a girl something like that and they still flock to him."

Zuko blinked, processing this new information. "That's…" he shook his head, deciding to ignore the part about Sokka. "That's not a bad idea."

"I don't have anything like that," Aang wailed.

Zuko was beginning to wonder how their time of meditation had evolved into courting advice when Sokka entered the small courtyard. He really didn't want to admit that he knew no more about girls than a twelve-year-old. Aang turned pleading eyes on him and Zuko awkwardly cleared his throat. "I'm sure it won't matter." He tried to ignore the way his stomach turned. He must be coming down with something. "She should like you for who you are, not what you give her."

"That's true," Sokka agreed, dropping down next to Aang and yawning hugely, "but girls want to know you can provide for them, and their children. They want someone stable, with a steady income and such."

Aang's distress increased. "I don't have that!"

Sokka snorted. "You're twelve."

Zuko turned away, his stomach churning. He could understand the panic. He had nothing to his name. No home. No country. He didn't even know if he had a marketable skill. Since his banishment, he couldn't even offer himself as a prince. All he knew was war. What did he have to offer anyone, let alone a wife?

"Relax," Sokka's words broke into his thoughts. "You're the Avatar. You'll be able to provide for a girl no matter what. They'll probably be fighting over you in a few years."

Aang cheered marginally at that, but then scowled. "I don't want her to like me because I'm the Avatar."

Sokka shrugged. "I wouldn't worry about it. Just give a girl flowers or something and tell her she's pretty. Girls like that."

Zuko could almost see Aang's thoughts before he spoke them. "There are no flowers around here."

Enough was enough, Zuko decided. He pushed himself to his feet, stretching out the kinks in his back and limbs. With an impatient wave to Aang, he said, "Come on. Let's get some bending in before Toph drags you off to throw rocks."

Aang gave a weary sigh and grudgingly rose to take his place across from Zuko. Sokka leaned back, settling in comfortably. Zuko rubbed at his neck before jerking his hand away. There was no need to let them know how much he ached. "Are you going watch?"

Sokka grinned, folding his arms behind his head and lounging back against the rock wall. "Yup!"

Zuko resisted the urge to pinch the bridge of his nose. "Don't you have anything better to do?"

The other boy shrugged. "Not really. Katara's making breakfast and I thought we could spar after Toph takes Aang off to wherever they play in the mud."

"We don't play in the mud," Aang protested.

Zuko sighed. He'd really been hoping he'd be able to escape and work the knots out of his back. "Fine."

"Then we can talk strategy," Sokka called after him. "Katara said she mentioned an idea to you."

Zuko groaned. It was going to be a long day.

.............

They were leaving the next morning. Zuko had spent the morning pacing across the courtyard where he usually trained Aang. The airbender was absent and a search of the temple revealed he wasn't anywhere nearby. Toph had stalked off, muttering angrily about missing practice, so Zuko was left to his own devices. Sokka had finally decided that there were things that needed to be accomplished if he expected to eat that day and vanished into the valley. The only other person still in the temple was Katara, which lead to the position he was in now.

He stood outside the makeshift kitchen, watching as Katara busied herself cleaning up from breakfast. He'd gone out and managed to catch two pheasant squirrels as an excuse to search out Katara. Now he had an excuse, he just needed to follow through. He hadn't been noticed yet and he told himself he still had the chance to leave things the way they were. Status quo wasn't so bad, was it? He didn't mind things staying the way they were. Katara was finally relaxing around him again; their misunderstanding fading and forgotten. Zuko winced. Nearly forgotten. He flexed shifted his grip on the pheasant squirrels. His hands felt clammy. Right. He turned on his heel. He could do this after the war. If he survived.

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness."**

Zuko cringed. His inner-Iroh had been silent for months and it chose now to come back? He straightened, wiping his palms against his thighs, and took a deep breath before turning into the kitchen. He could at least give her the pheasant squirrels.

"Katara?"

Katara hummed to show she was listening, but never moved her gaze from the water she streamed from the cooking pot. Zuko fidgeted nervously, his movements unnoticed by the waterbender as she turned to the next dirty dish. He cleared his throat which served to draw her gaze, a slight frown forming between her eyes. "What is it, Zuko?"

He felt his face heat and he hoped he wasn't blushing noticeably. "I was—I just—" he snapped his mouth shut, taking a deep breath and trying to focus his thoughts. This was more difficult than he thought it would…and he'd thought it'd be pretty difficult. He thrust the pheasant squirrels out toward her. "I brought something for dinner."

She blinked, looking at the animals. "Oh, thank you. You can put them there for now."

She motioned to an empty space and Zuko quickly put the pheasant squirrels down. Katara started to turn back to her task, but paused, looking at him curiously. "Was there something else?"

Zuko really hoped his face wasn't as red as he thought it was. He rolled his shoulders, turning to face her. This was it. "Am I—"

"Katara!"

The shout cut him off with a start as Aang slid into the room. The airbender beamed when he caught sight of her, pink spreading across his cheeks and Zuko felt his stomach clench. Aang ignored Zuko's presence holding out a black-and-white flower to the surprised waterbender. "I got this for you, Katara."

She took it from him, blue eyes glancing from the flower to Aang with some confusion. "Thank you, Aang."

The airbender grinned eagerly, his expression expectant. Katara glanced at Zuko for some hint on how to respond, her eyes returning to the flower when he offered no explanation. "It's…it's very pretty, Aang."

He nodded, exuding excitement. Katara twirled the flower between her fingers, biting her lip before finally saying, "I think Toph was looking for you to practice your earthbending."

He deflated slightly, but still maintained his cheerful smile. "Okay! I'll see you later, Katara."

He zipped out of the kitchen and Katara turned to fill a cup with water and placed the flower in it. Her fingers brushed the petals, a thoughtful frown her on lips. She started when Zuko spoke, "So that's where Aang went."

A glance over her shoulder revealed an ambiguous expression on Zuko's face. "What?"

Zuko looked away with a shrug. "I couldn't find him this morning for bending practice. I thought he was avoiding me."

Not that he'd be all that surprised if Aang was avoiding him. Zuko often tried to avoid his bending masters.

"He was finding me a flower?" She sounded surprised.

"That's a panda lily," Zuko said as if that explained everything.

"It is?" Katara looked a great deal more interested. "I've never seen one."

He made a face. "They're hard to find."

"Oh," she looked back at the flower. "Shouldn't they not be picked then?"

A strangled sound came from Zuko and she turned. He avoided looking at her, speaking softly, "They're a symbol of love. Similar to the fire lily."

She dropped her hand from the flower, blushing furiously. So that was that. He couldn't say he was all that surprised. Zuko grimaced, turning to leave the kitchen when Katara reached out and touched his arm. "Zuko? What were you going to say earlier?"

Gold eyes darted to the panda lily before settling on blue eyes. She smiled at him encouragingly, stepping closer and lifting her chin to better look him in the eyes. Her lips drew his attention and he forced himself to look away as a blush crawled up his neck. Fingers touched his sleeve, trailing up to rest on his shoulder, feeling him tense beneath her fingertips. "Zuko—"

He jerked at his name, cutting her off, eyes wide as he looked down at her. "I—is it okay if I," he winced, squeezing his eyes shut and continuing in a rush, "if I love you?"

Silence fell heavily over them and Zuko held his breath, hoping she wouldn't hate him forever. He'd never felt so stupid. He should've kept his mouth shut. Status quo was an excellent state. What was he thinking? He'd ruined everything. Several long seconds passed before her fingers moved, brushing along his shoulders to the skin of his neck before sliding into the hair at the back of his head. His eyes shot open when she stepped into him, pressing her cheek to his chest and releasing a quivering breath. "Oh, Zuko."

She pulled away just enough to look up at him, her eyes bright with tears but she was smiling. "Of course it's okay, Zuko."

Zuko released the breath he'd been holding, his hands tentatively settling on her hips, flexing uncertainly as he attempted a shy, awkward smile. An unfamiliar, giddy feeling rose in him and he had the ridiculous urge to giggle. "Good." He took another steadying breath, saying more firmly, "Good."

A quiet giggle escaped her and her hands tightened in his hair, drawing his head down. She brushed his lips in a whisper of a kiss, pulling back to look into burnished gold eyes. "I love you."

She heard, and felt, his breath hitch as he searched her features for the truth of it, coming to rest on her lips. "May I kiss you?"

Her stomach flipped at the desire in his voice and she was barely able to nod before his mouth covered hers. Warmth rushed through her, making her heart skip a beat and her knees turn to jelly. She clung to him, gasping slightly as his hands drifted from her hips to the back of her head, gently shifting her to a better angle and taking advantage of her gasp. A shout out in the hall pulled them from their passionate embrace. They separated quickly, Katara stumbling on suddenly unstable legs and Zuko quickly steadying her. Both were flushed and breathing hard. A moment later Sokka entered the kitchen with an armful of wood, grousing about how heavy and awkward it was carrying so much. "Next time, Sparky comes with me. I wouldn't have to make so many—" he turned, stopping short when he saw his sister, eyes narrowing. "Are you all right? You look a little red."

Zuko had quickly slipped from the room while the water tribe boy's back was turned. Part of Katara was relieved about his absence, grateful for the momentary reprieve from her brother's protective hovering. She snorted in response to her brother, flipping her hair over her shoulder and turning away. "It's a little warm in here."

Sokka's eyes further narrowed in suspicion, glancing around the room. "Was Zuko just here?"

She motioned absently to a low ledge that served as a counter. "Yes, he was dropping off some game for dinner."

"And it's hot in here." The statement was flat and skeptical.

Katara hummed absently, returning to cleaning the cookware. "Yes, it's always hot when Zuko's around."

Sokka gasped, eyes rounding in shock and a finger pointing accusingly. "That's a panda lily!"

Katara followed her brother's pointing finger to the flower she'd completely forgotten about. She breathed a sigh of relief. "Yes, Aang gave it to me."

Sokka gave it a considering look, giving his sister the same look before he nodded and turned to leave. "Good."

Katara stared after him. "Wait. What?"

"At least it wasn't that firebender."

Katara scowled, folding her arms across her chest. "How is that better?"

Sokka batted the question away with a flick of his hand, never pausing as he continued out the door. "Aang's harmless."

"Zuko's not a bad guy," she called after he brother.

She listened to her brother's footsteps fade away and then turned back to her washing. A silly smile pulled at her lips and she bit her lip to keep herself from giggling.
Sign up to rate and review this story