Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > The Bass Files

"Sheena is a punk rocker"

by FrostedGlass 6 reviews

Enter Patrickachu and Joe. Oh, and Sheena makes the band. Even without Puff Daddy. P. Diddy, sorry.

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: G - Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-09-25 - Updated: 2006-09-25 - 1045 words

1Original
2. "Sheena is a punk rocker"

I would like to tell you that I warmed up to the girls after Andy had showed up and had raised the temperature in the garage from ´frosty´ to at least ´warm enough to wear a sweater and a thin jacket´ but then I would not be a very truthful narrator and you might as well wander off and read ´Catcher in the Rye´ (or watch ´Nightmare before Christmas´ because you´ve done enough for your brain by reading ´You say punk, I say poser´) for the n-th time because you love Pete Wentz not for his looks but his deep thoughts and witty comments. But I´m digressing - as of now, there is not the slightest sight of Pete Wentz in the story and I intend to keep it like that for a while. After all, I call the bass notes here. HA! Wentz my ass. (Excuse me... I better watch my tongue or I´ll sound like Joyce.)

After Andy´s arrival I stuck around for another 30 minutes and got a slim map with sheets containing music and lyrics that the girls - they called themselves ´Pretty in Punk´, which Andy told me with a mocking grin on his face - had come up with on their own. So I had made the band. The girly punk band.

So far I had only played drums in a band in high school, a cover band that played Billy Joel, Elvis Costello and Cat Stevens. We had never played in public though, just for the fun of it in the basement of one of my friends´ houses. Oh, and our parents would come and listen. If you ask yourself how can a girl be in a band and not be considered cool - that´s the way to do it.

When Nadine had finished with pointing out how difficult the bass solo in ´Cheerleaders suck´ (which, I may enlighten you, was also the only line in the song) was and Fox had given me the advice to practice "until [my] sissy finger tips came off" Andy wanted to hear me play something.

"Sure.", I said, showing off with my expansive vocabulary.

"You like Rancid?", he started beating the drums.

"´Cash, Culture and Violence´ is my fav Rancid song.", I said, recognizing the rhythm and joining him on my bass.

_ _ _ _ _


After Andy and I had jammed out a bit to Rancid (Joyce had sung along) I decided it was time for me to go home. I had to work tomorrow. "I´ll leave you to yourselves as well, ladies.", Andy said. "I´m meeting up with the guys for practice."

We said our goodbyes and all of a sudden the girls were totally friendly to me, wishing me a good night and sweet dreams. I knew what was going on, it was quite obvious.

"Oh yeah.", Fox winked at me. "What I said about practicing your sissy finger tips off... ah, just forget about that." She looked a bit ashamed. Joyce shook her head in embarrassment because of her friend´s previous comment. Andy just raised his eye brows and grinned mischeviously.

A few seconds later he opened the door to his car and was about to get in when I wished him a good night. He looked around, "Where´s your car?"

"Oh, I walked here. I don´t live very far from here."

"You want me to take you home?"

I shook my head, "No, I´m good, thanks." I turned away from him and started walking down the street. I heard the car door slam and then foot steps. Andy had walked to the passenger side of the car and opened the other door.

"Come on.", he said. "It´s late and you got that heavy bass guitar to carry." He smirked.

"Fine.", I turned around and got into the car, after having placed my instrument in the back seat. I gave him the instructions to my apartment and off we went.

"Well, I can tell the girls were pretty euphoric about your bass skills after our little Rancid set.", Andy took a quick glance at me and then focused on the street again.

"I had a friend in college who listened to Rancid 24/7.", I remarked.

"Looks like my little sis is gonna pull this band thing off after all.", Andy said, maybe more to himself than to me. (Chances were, he could probably have more interesting conversations with himself than with me anyway. I always found it hard to get into a conversation with complete strangers.)

"Which one´s your sister?"

"That would be Joyce.", the guy replied.

I nodded. "Alright, here we are.", I told him. The car stopped and I got out, grabbing my bass. "Thanks for the ride."

"Don´t mention it."

"Nighty, Andy.", I gave him a quick smile.

"Good night, Sheena. I guess I´ll be seeing more of you in the future considering you´re a member of ´Pretty in Punk´ now."

I shuddered at the mention of the band name.

"Yeah, I know.", Andy laughed. I had to smile. Then he drove off.

Had we been flirting? God, why did I have to be a complete social retard?

_ _ _ _ _


change of POV, authorial narrator

"Seriously, guys. She was totally kicking ass on the bass.", Andy was telling his friends about his new acquaintance.

"Good for Joyce.", Patrick said and adjusted the cap on his head.

"After we were done with ´Cash, Culture and Violence´ she started playing ´Maxwell Murder´..."

Patrick laughed. "Joe´s been breaking his fingers over this song for the last months." He turned his head towards the guy that was sitting a bit further off, playing a computer game. "Correct me if I´m wrong, JOE."

Joe flipped him off and then looked at Andy. "Seriously?"

Andy nodded, "Yeah, dude. She´s a pretty good bass player."

"I wish we had someone like that.", Patrick said, directing his comment at Joe again.

His friend felt the urge to defend himself, "Man, you know that I´m not used to playing bass. I´m a guitarist. I´m only filling in until we´ve found a bassist... Now leave me the fuck alone, I´m trying to kick level seven´s ass."
Sign up to rate and review this story