Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Roses of the Valley

Chapter Twenty: Guardian's Stand

by Giroro5X 1 review

Ah, sorry it's taken me a couple of days to get this chapter out, I headed home during the weekend to visit my family. Anyway, enjoy! As always, I definitely appreciate any feedback.

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Other - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-09-25 - Updated: 2006-09-26 - 4160 words

0Unrated


Chapter Twenty: Guardian's Stand



Far in the distance, within the safety of the Fire Nation, Kano grinned with delight as he lifted his saucer of sake.

He could not help but imagine the terror gripping the populace, the screams of women and children as the nightmare's intensity grew ever stronger.

The look of rage and disbelief in the general's eyes at the chaos surrounding.

Chuckling, he sipped lightly.



Seung stepped forward as he stabbed the heel of his foot into the ground, his palm extending. The ground before him buckled slightly, moving rapidly towards his opponent.

Kazuki stepped out gracefully, his arms lifting slightly as he carelessly dodged the spike rising up before him. Lightly and quickly he made his way towards his target, stopping as another shot of flame tore from his hands.

A wall of earth rose up before the earthbender, the flame dispersing as it washed against its surface.

"I wonder how long it will take," Kazuki called out, moving quickly towards the wall.

The citizens watched fearfully as the firebender continued to display his prowess, two soldiers ushering them hurriedly to the safety of their homes.

"How long before the mercenaries arrive to slaughter these people like chicken pigs," he grinned sadistically as he leapt up, his hand swinging out to hoist him to the top of the wall. His eyebrow rose as he observed the opposing side to be vacant.

The earth opened up behind the assassin, the general leaping out of it. Crouching quickly, he thrust his foot against the base of the wall, bringing it to fall.

Feeling a sudden twitch in the stone beneath him, Kazuki flipped forward. He smirked as he landed gently, his attention darting back towards the earthbender.

The general stood before him with a look of focused intensity, his legs spread as his palms remained pointed towards the sky. Above him hovered the wall, dust and bits of earth trailing off of it.

"Clever," the assassin admired as the slab of earth shot towards him. He dove forward, swinging both legs out as he balanced his weight upon his hands. A line of fire tore across the ground towards Seung, the stone brushing against his hair in passing.

Stomping his foot lightly, a short mound of earth rose up to disperse the attack. Stomping again, the mound grew taller.

Kazuki smirked as he rushed his target, already on his feet.

The general broke into a wide stance, his fist slamming against the upper part of the pillar as it slid forward.

The firebender jumped up, his foot pressing against the passing rock and delivering him into a graceful flip. Lashing his leg out, fire consumed his foot as he fell towards his opponent.

Seung stepped out carefully, readying himself.



"Three years," Iwao was shaking with excitement, breaking the quiet pause that had passed between the two.

Jung made no effort to contribute to the conversation, standing calmly.

"For three years, I have dreamed of destroying you. Breaking every bone in your body, watching you writhe in pain."

Silence.

"Today it becomes reality. Today I break you, parade your shattered frame through this village so they all know you were nothing before they die."

Silence.

"You will howl, you will beg for my mercy, but it shall not come," he warned.

Silence.

"Now Demon," he took the hammer carefully, readying himself into a stance. "Show me the power of your fist against my hammer."

Jung did nothing to obey the order, the mask staring forward coldly.

Iwao felt the pressure as the muscles in his feet pushed against the ground. He could feel the strain in his throat as he screamed out; feel his hands ache slightly as he gripped the hammer tightly. His body was pure energy, his eyes wide as he hurled himself at the enemy.

Jung stepped aside swiftly, bringing his arm up into the attacker's throat as he passed. The Fire Nation warrior fell hard, the back of his head slamming firmly against the ground below.

The strike had rendered Iwao unconscious.

The Demon searched carefully for rope to bind the warrior's wrists, studying the surroundings carefully. His attention turned quickly towards the distant sound of a plucking string.

He stepped back as pain shot through his body, an arrow piercing through his flesh near the shoulder.

Glaring in the direction of the shot, he heard the sound again. Diving quickly to the side, an arrow plunged into the ground near Iwao.

Regaining his footing he heard the sound once again, accompanied by two others. The Demon dove back, nearing one of the homes surrounding the clearing.

Hearing a pause in the sound, he took the opportunity to grasp the shaft of the arrow that had punctured his arm. He listened quietly as cautious footsteps tread the roof above.

Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed a figure sneaking stealthily into position atop a nearby roof. Glaring towards the attacker, he readied himself.

The Yu Yan archer returned the glare, raising his bow to strike.



Kazuki laughed wildly as he ducked the horizontal swing of the earth staff, stepping in quickly and gracefully for an attack.

Seung clenched his teeth, his eyes narrowing as he became increasingly aware of the futility of the weapon against this particular enemy. Kazuki's movements were swift and fluid; he did not have enough combat experience with the earth staff to use it effectively in this situation.

The firebender leapt towards his opponent, spinning in midair as flames trailed his hands.

The general lifted the staff to block the attack, losing his footing as the assassin's hand cut through its center.

Rushing forward, Kazuki grinned as he waved his arm out, flames shooting towards his target.

Seung's eyes went wide, attempting to maintain focus as his hands gripped the fractured halves of the earth staff carefully.

The assassin's grin melted into a look of frustration, glaring as he observed the scene.

The earthbender stood defiantly, the former staff now encasing his arms in smoldering stone. The gauntlets had allowed him to resist the assault. Springing forward, he lashed his arm out towards his tormentor's head.

Kazuki stepped back quickly, his motions losing their calm as he narrowly escaped each blow. The general's sudden switch to the offensive had taken him off guard. He bent backwards as Seung threw forward a powerful back fist. Launching forward from the position, he began throwing out a series of quick but weak strikes, each accompanied by flame.

The general permitted two steps of retreat before standing firm, the earth gauntlets allowing him to swat aside and deflect the attacks. Finding a sudden break in his opponent's maneuvers he fell into a wide stance, waving his hands quickly over one another.

The firebender felt the ground beneath him twist, forcing him into a spiral. Maintaining the momentum, he lashed the heel of his foot out towards his target's face.

Turning in his stance, Seung lifted his hand to receive the foot, the force of the attack causing the gauntlet to disperse.

Kazuki withdrew his foot quickly, turning his body as he resumed his assault.

The general sidestepped, pushing himself quickly to pass his attacker.

The assassin grinned, admiring the tenacity of his target. Kicking back, he forced his back to the earthbender's as he motioned his hands backwards, unleashing two bursts of flame.

Seung kept his back to the firebender's, understanding that any break in the
position would provide his opponent a valuable opportunity to strike him down. Lifting the remaining gauntlet, the flames dispersed to either side of them. Motioning his arms quickly, he summoned the shattered remains of the alternate gauntlet, launching them towards Kazuki's head.

He tilted his head swiftly, a few pieces of rock managing to make contact with him. Keeping his back pressed to the general's, he maintained the frequency of his attacks.

The two continued this exchange, facing in opposite directions as the battle wore on.

Kazuki halted suddenly, remaining ready as he stared forward.

Sensing the pause, Seung brought himself to stop as he faced in the opposite direction.

The firebender had hoped for a quick and painless surrender, looking forward to the torture and murder more than anything else. Yet there was an unexpected satisfaction in this fight, a joy in being able to test his skill.

The earthbender stood carefully, the air tense as he awaited the next stage of the fight. The potential of the situation being a trap dismayed him from initiating the next move. As he faced forward, he became increasingly aware of the people being rushed to their homes, the soldiers hurrying to aid them. He wondered silently how much time they would be allowed before the mercenaries arrived.

Kazuki grinned wildly.

Seung narrowed his eyes.

The two turned quickly towards one another, each launching an attack.



Gang slammed his hand against the ground, skidding to a halt as he glared forward.

"I designed this armor to be impenetrable," Hitoshi bragged as he stood unscathed.

"Don't care," the old guard grunted as he readied himself into a stance.

"The only disadvantage it suffers is its lack of mobility and speed," he continued the explanation, ignoring his opponent's protest. "But when one gets to be our age, we are more willing to take our time with our work rather than rush it."

"Speak for yourself," he protested the implication of old age as he launched forward again, stopping just before the armor. Shouting loudly, he slammed his fist against the metal as flames washed over it.

"As I said; impenetrable. And," Hitoshi grinned as the armor turned slightly, his hand waving out towards Gang as fire burst forth.

The guard slid along the ground, his forearms motioned to disperse the flame as parts of his robes singed.

"I am still able to firebend," the old assassin lifted his hand, fire resting in his palm.

Narrowing his eyes, Gang launched himself forward once again. He smirked as his opponent's hand motioned towards him, sidestepping quickly as he attempted to grasp his arm.

The armor turned again, Hitoshi drawing his arms into its interior.

Cursing the treachery, the firebender grabbed the hole the arm had disappeared into. Hoisting himself up, he planted his foot firmly into the hole, using it for leverage as he leapt. Grinning downward, he readied his fist to strike into Hitoshi's head. His grin faded into a puzzled expression as he noticed the smiling face of the old man.

Hitoshi sucked in some air, his cheeks swelling as he breathed out a ball of flame towards the face of the incoming Gang.

The old guard lifted his hands to try deflecting the attack, the fire consuming most of his robe. He hit the ground heavily, rolling quickly to smother whatever flame still clung to him.

"As I said," Hitoshi's arms emerged once again from the large armor. "Impenetrable. At all points."

"Heh," Gang rose up, the robe reduced to the bottom half and a few charred bits of the upper. He brushed some dust off of the cloth belt, grinning. "I'm startin' t'like this robe."

Unable to understand the comment, Hitoshi's eyebrow rose up.

The old guard snorted slightly, spitting to the side as he took another stance.

"You do realize the futility of this, don't you? That you will die here," the old assassin inquired.

"Nah," he grinned, dismissing the notion entirely as he hurled himself forward once again.



Kazuki darted towards a nearby building, running along the edge of its roof as another pillar shot out towards him from the ground.

Seung readied his stance, lifting both palms quickly as the earth beneath him rose up, bringing him to stand at the same height as the assassin.

The firebender leapt out towards him, spinning vertically as a wave of flame lashed out against the ground, trailing quickly towards the general's position.

He stepped back off of the pillar's top, focusing carefully as he slid down its side, his hand digging into it as he descended. He landed in a wide stance, his hands thrusting out in opposite directions as the pillar split in two.

The assassin's eyes went wide as he drew closer to the center of the two halves.

The earthbender turned his hands carefully, bringing them together quickly as the two halves slammed together.

Kazuki pressed a hand to the surface of the first half, twisting his body as a foot pressed against the second. Launching himself into a back flip, he barely escaped the trap.

The general turned his attention towards the attacker; eyes narrow with disappointment at the failure of the tactic. Witnessing flames trailing his feet as he descended, he jumped back quickly. Planting his feet on the side of the pillar, he motioned his hand carefully, twisting his arm slightly before sliding back down along the stone column to the ground.

Noticing the complex movements, the flames engulfing Kazuki's foot dispersed as he turned his attention towards the ground below him. Landing on his hands, he turned his body as a thin column of earth extended towards him from the ground. Maintaining the motion of the spin, he began unleashing horizontal waves of flame with his legs.

The earthbender stared with focus as he raised a sheet of rock before him, the flames bathing it harmlessly. Stepping into a forward stance he planted his fist firmly against it, the sheet sliding along the ground towards his opponent.

Smirking at the simplicity of the attack, the firebender leapt over the sheet. Planting his feet upon its top, he leapt forward towards his target.

Bringing both fists to his hips, Seung began crossing his feet one over the other, his heel stabbing into the ground as rock burst forth from the earth before him.

Twisting his body, Kazuki managed to dodge each. Landing gracefully he rushed towards the general, his hands behind him as he prepared them to attack.

Seung readied himself into a stance, his fists tight as he focused.



Wen Lan stepped back quickly, her body twisting and bending as the blades sliced towards her.

Shizu maintained the rhythm of her barrage, her mask and silence intimidating the surrounding crowd.

They stared in wonder; unsure as to whether the display before them was part of some spectacle or a genuine conflict.

"Guess things'll be messy after all," the man who had introduced Shizu shrugged, stepping back into a firebending stance. He looked carelessly towards the fighting women.

His eyes widened as he viewed two planks of wood rushing towards him, falling unconscious as they splintered against his face.

Xiu and Chin-Hwa glared down upon the fallen firebender, the old noble dropping the plank to his side.

"Lady Wen Lan!" Xiu called out to her friend.

"Clear the area!" she called out as she ducked a horizontal slash.

The young servant stepped forward, readying the fractured plank as she felt the old man's hand on her shoulder.

"We must ensure their safety first," there was a determined yet nervous look in his eyes as he peered towards the crowd.

Furrowing her brow, she nodded in dissenting agreement. Hurrying towards the crowd, she began helping him to usher them away.

The two blades ran parallel as they sliced diagonally towards her chest.

Wen Lan turned quickly, dodging before stepping in towards her attacker. Her hand rose to follow the masked woman's wrists, motioning to grasp them as the other hand darted to her throat to strike.

Shizu twisted her body, falling back to avoid both maneuvers as she balanced on a foot, spinning to a halt. Charging forward, she stabbed both blades towards her target's gut.

The young noble hurried forward, jumping slightly as her feet tapped down against the two blades, giving her very slight momentum as she flipped over the charging assailant's head. Landing behind her, she began striking out quickly and fiercely towards her throat, chest and wrists.

The blade dancer stepped back quickly, the frequency of the target's attacks eliminating any opportunity for counter. Extending both arms, she broke the rhythm of the young noble's flurry by twisting her body repeatedly, the blades spinning. Their tips tore against the ground as she began advancing forward.

Wen Lan's eyes narrowed as she attempted to find weakness or pause in the storm of swords before her. The intensity of the motions forced her to maintain steady retreat.

Shizu approached slowly, her attacks swift and constant.

The young noble stepped in quickly, her focus intense as she lifted a palm to intercept the attacker's wrist. Her other hand lifted quickly to strike, the attack interrupted as Shizu's second blade stabbed toward her. Dodging back, she readied herself as the dancer took to the attack once again.

For every slash offered, the young noble dodged. For every strike given, the masked dancer evaded. The two maintained the exchange, the street around them clear as the lights above illuminated their conflict.

"Wen Lan," Chin-Hwa worried as he hurried back towards what had become a battleground, staring as the two women continued their heated match.

"Lady Wen Lan!" Xiu turned the corner, the old noble a few paces ahead of her. She stepped forward, stopping as Chin-Hwa's arm rose up in front of her. "What are you doing, old man!?"

"Neither of us possesses any formal training. If we were to enter into this battle, we would be nothing more than a risk to Wen Lan." There was frustration in his voice, painfully aware of its accuracy.

Resigning to the validity of the statement, Xiu watched with worry. Narrowing her eyes, she threw a fist towards the sky.

"You can do it, lady Wen Lan! Take her down!" She encouraged loudly.

Shizu stepped back, the blades extending to either side of her before passing one another in a horizontal slash.

Wen Lan stepped back, her eyes going wide as opportunity presented itself.

The blade dancer rushed forward, a sword cutting through the air as she plunged it towards her target's stomach.

The young noble turned her body slightly, leaving the long sleeve of her robe in the sword's path. The blade cut through, grazing her arm as it passed. Twisting her forearm quickly, the cloth consumed the sharp metal, Wen Lan grasping the handle as it neared her hand.

In one fluid motion, the noble tore the blade from Shizu's grasp, tossing it quickly towards the two spectators before turning back towards the fight.

Xiu stepped in to catch the blade by its handle, her eyes going wide and hands withdrawing as it drew closer.

Chin-Hwa picked the sword up carefully, glancing towards the young servant.

"What? It's sharp," she muttered, folding her arms.

The loss of her sword did nothing to slow Shizu's pace, now lashing the remaining blade towards her target with equal fervor.

Wen Lan sidestepped each strike, ducking those that came near her head. As the blade cut towards her leg she stepped forward, bringing her foot quickly and gracefully behind Shizu's, her hand positioned over her wrist to prevent attack. Turning her upper body, her alternate hand planted itself firmly on the assassin's chest, launching her back.

The masked dancer fell to the ground, rolling quickly to a crouching position.

The young noble stood in careful stance, her focus unwavering as she awaited the next maneuver.

Realizing the scenario to have become unbalanced, Shizu motioned her free hand to her feet before rising.

Wen Lan thought carefully, nervous as she observed the change the attacker had initiated.

Shizu readied her sword, her stance widening as a blade protruded from each shoe, gleaming beneath the light of the candles above.

The two rushed quickly towards one another.



"Ah," Kazuki stopped, crouching atop a stone pillar raised earlier in the fight.

Seung maintained his stance; his eyes narrow as he watched carefully for any sign of deception.

The firebender cupped a hand to his ear, grinning as he listened. "Can you hear it, general? Behind the sound of worrying peasants?"

He gave no answer as he listened carefully. The sound of barbaric yelling rang out in the distance.

"My mercenaries have arrived. It appears your soldiers were unable to organize in time to greet them," he jumped from the pillar, landing calmly. "A shame. Do not fret, general. You have given me a very pleasurable fight," he shrugged as he confessed.

Seung stood far across from the firebender, still staring intensely.

"After I force you to watch everyone you've protected die slowly, I'll give you the honor of a death that is both quick and painless," he smirked.

The general's gaze lowered angrily, his hands lifting as he forcefully slammed a foot against the ground.

Kazuki was caught off guard as long stone walls rose to either side of him. Another shot up behind him, one behind the general in the distance.

Seung had encased the two in a hall of stone.

Smirking, the firebender stepped forward. "Defiant until the end?"

The earthbender gave no answer, readying his stance slowly as he breathed deep.

The assassin broke into a sudden rush, leaping up to run alongside one of the walls. Darting from wall to wall, he grinned wildly as he approached his target.

Seung's gaze remained fixed upon him, his focus intense as he readied his attack.



The mercenaries rushed forward, descending upon the valley in murderous swarms. Each held within their bloodthirsty desires the promise for wealth and land upon the destruction of Bai-Jing.

The veterans of the occupation remain at the front, staring coldly as they drew closer. Their goal lay within their grasp, no resistance in sight.

One veteran slowed the pace of his ostrich horse, smirking as he barked out the order to halt. He had earned the respect and obedience of the others through skill and experience. Drawing out his sword, he pointed towards the nearby village, now within earshot.

He opened his mouth, drawing in a breath of air as he prepared to command the slaughter of innocents. His concentration was interrupted as mercenaries behind him began stirring, crying out in pain and anguish.

Turning to face the disruption, he witnessed the soldiers staring as something tore through their ranks, blood spilling over the valley soil. He turned the beast to face the threat as his eyes went wide.

The two beasts forced their way through the crowd, growling wildly as their riders commanded them forward.

The veteran mercenary lifted his sword as he felt a pike stab into his gut, a sword slicing against his neck as the two beasts passed.

The mercenaries had not lost many to the attackers, their ranks still overwhelming and spread across the valley. They glared angrily, some grinning at the development as they gripped their weapons.

"See? And you thought we'd miss the festival," Enlai grinned as hoisted the pike up onto his shoulder, slowing the komodo rhino to a halt.

"We were fortunate," Feng agreed, holding his sword readily as his rhino turned to face the mercenaries in the distance.

"Hey, we did pretty good," the former bandit looked out over the mercenaries, admiring the number they had managed to defeat.

"We had the element of surprise to our advantage. We will have to approach this carefully."

"Killjoy," Enlai muttered. "You think we have a chance?"

"Perhaps."

"Lower it," a muffled voice ordered.

The Gouishi riders glanced back towards the stone wall as two earthbenders lowered it, several of the festival attendees stepping out.

"Sorry we're late," one greeted as he stepped between the two rhinos, looking out towards the mercenaries. "Raise it," he ordered quietly as the earthbenders restored the defensive measure.

"This is going to become dangerous; I recommend you return to the safety of the village," Feng warned, his gaze fixed on the enemies before them.

"It's fine," he grinned slightly, the other guards of the estate lining up to face the opposition. "Gang trained us for this sort of thing."

"Who's Gang?" Enlai glanced towards his partner.

"The old firebending guard."

"Oh," he grinned knowingly as he looked towards the mercenaries. "This'll be no problem, then."

"Kill them all!" an impatient mercenary screamed out, commanding those around him forward as he lifted a club.

The others charged, yelling wildly as they drew closer.

The guards stepped forward into ready positions, the Gouishi riders charging forward readily.



"Destroy everything but the wine, women and gold!" one of the mercenary captains called out, laughing as he waved his axe forward.

The wave of hired swords stormed the opposite side of the village, chanting and yelling wildly as the battle drew closer.

Lightning tore through the center of the invasion, the rider's beasts frightened beyond control as their jubilance faded.

Yakone smirked as he watched the mercenaries fumble for control of their beasts. Shui stood near him; eyes narrow as he studied the forces before them.

Before them stood Bo, glaring as smoke trailed from his fingers.
Sign up to rate and review this story