Categories > Anime/Manga > My Hero Academia > MHA OneShots

Love Like You (BakuDeku)

by Amelia_Dreemurr 0 reviews

Bakugo coming to realize some things :>

Category: My Hero Academia - Rating: G - Genres: Romance - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2021-03-09 - Updated: 2021-03-09 - 2935 words

0Unrated
(A/N: Yes, I implement songs into my writing.)

Katsuki's POV~
———————————————

"Well, Bakubro, maybe you should perform a song on how you feel at the next karaoke session we do!"

"Tch… That's so cheesy, Shitty Hair."

"But it wooorks~ I should know." Fucking Lobes leans back on my dorm beanbag chair and plugs her jacks into the wall behind her. No, no, no… Deku's right next door damn it. Her eyes widen, and she gasps. "Holy… Why didn't he tell me he could sing when we did the sports festival!!!" She pouts, but I only laugh. Yeah, he's like that. Reclusive, shy about his talents...

She keeps her jacks plugged in when she starts humming the tune… Love Like You, huh? My mind flashes back to those terrible days.

"I always knew that I was bad, and I'm sure that that's true, cause I think you're so good, and I'm nothing like you…" I run a hand through my spiky blonde hair, laughing.

"Bakubro…? You're changing up the lyrics, dude…"

"Look at you go, I adored you, I wish that I knew, what makes you think I was special…" I wrap my arms around myself and smile. Before sighing and kicking them all out of my dorm forcefully. My eyes well up. Damn it. Damn it. Damn it!!! I punch the wall and sob.

"K-Kacchan?" A knock at my door. I know that voice, that nickname too well.

"Go away, shitty nerd."

"Are you o-okay?"

"Why do you care? I'm just your old bully, remember?"

"W-What…? Kacchan, you know I forgave you a long time ago, right?"

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. You're way too good to me." I open the door.

"So, um, I've been thinking. The talent show is coming up, and I was wondering if you'd like to join me in an act?"

"No." I'm in the process of closing the door, but he forces it to stay open with his stupid super strength, and barges in.

"Please, Kacchan? It'll be good, I promise!" He intertwines his fingers together, practically pleading with me.

Nodding, he squeaks out his surprise at my response and smiles warmly. "Well, then, here's my idea!"

I growl as he makes himself comfortable on my bed and, bouncing ever so slightly as he goes on and on about whatever stupid idea he has planned, he looks unbearably cute in my eyes. What am I even thinking? Still, I can't help it, even if I really have no right to see him this way after all these years of treating him like this. But maybe today I can begin to change. Stop having us chase after one another and instead rise together as equals.
"Kacchan?" He looks at me, curiosity shining in those bright green eyes of his. His freckles stick out, and I find my heart beating as the urge to kiss each and every single one of them overcomes me. "Are you listening?"

I lunge. He's pinned underneath me on my bed. Oh my god, what am I doing. His eyes widen, and he turns a bright red. "K-K-Kacchan?!"

His younger voice rings in my ears, him calling me by that stupid name as he runs after me. My fingers curl into fists, clutching at my white sheets in a blind rage. My vision clears within a matter of seconds, however, and I climb off of him. "Forget it, stupid nerd."

He nods, gulping. "Well, um, anyway, since you were probably not paying attention, uh, I was thinking…"

♡♡♡

I have Lobes teach me how to play the acoustic guitar and I practice a lot, scarring up my fingers. I'm just finishing up bandaging the rough calluses after the lunch break when Aizawa-sensei walks into the nurse's office to get some eye drops from Recovery girl-sensei. He eyes my fingers, and the guitar case placed next to me, brows raised in amusement. "Someone's working hard for the upcoming talent show. I hope this won't affect your hero studies and training, problem child." I can feel the sarcasm in his voice, and I retaliate with a glare and a sharp retort. "I was being sincere, Bakugo."

"H-Huh?" The confusion rewrites itself on my face for the billionth time, and I falter. "Right. Of course." I sigh and pick up the guitar case. I have to go return this to Lobes before our next class… And so I do. She still has no clue what I'm planning for the talent show, but she's very supportive. All of my friends are completely shocked that I'm even participating.

But I can't let Deku down again. He keeps coming over to tell me all that he's been doing to prepare and to practice, but time becomes a blur when he's around.

Aizawa-sensei makes his nightly rounds at midnight to make sure everyone is in their own dorms, asleep, and at one point Deku ends up staying for that long, and so we're caught.
"The two students that completely hate each other, studying together? I find that very hard to believe."

I glance at Deku. I know everyone thinks I hate him but does he… Hate me, back? I watch as he nervously explains that we're actually performing for the talent show together. Aizawa looks absolutely incredulous, but I let out a scoff and confirm it, vigorously rubbing my bandaged calluses and resisting the urge to hit Aizawa-sensei.

He lets us off with a warning and pulls Deku back into his dorm by that grey scarf of his.

♡♡♡

Weeks pass, and I'm unsure of what I'm supposed to say around Deku. Eventually, I get tired of waiting, and I jump the gun a bit.

On account of Round Face flirting with him, I know for a fact she likes both him and me. I lure her away from him with sweet nothings, directing the conversation to me. I notice Deku looks unhappy, and IcyHot tells me to quit it, before chastising Pink Cheeks. Everyone in the class is staring, and Deku darkens. No… I didn't mean to hurt him, I just… He looks a bit livid with me, but he leaves the room, pacing the halls. His friends, excluding Round Face, chase after him. I hang back, my chest heavy with emotion.

"I-I… I'm sorry… Deku!" She runs after him, but I stick my foot out and trip her. She gasps, before sobbing. The class reprimands me, telling me I've officially taken it too far, about how cruel I am...

Back to my old ways, huh? I feel a hand on my shoulder, and I turn. No one. Not even Hagakure. But I still feel a presence hovering over me. It whispers in my ear, telling me how horrible I am… I know I'm a horrible person, I know… Wait… That's Deku's voice. It's distorted, but there's no mistaking it. My breathing quickens, and I clutch at my white button-down, staring at the ground as he continues to berate me. I solve it the way I always solve it. Making an explosion directed behind me to get it to go away. It does, but as a result, I've unintentionally blasted Grape. Fuck… Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck…

"Young Bakugo, what on earth is going on here? Young Midoriya looks upset, and… Uraraka? Mineta? Are you alright?" He helps Pink Face to her feet, and picks up an unconscious Grape. "I have to take this young man to Recovery girl. Bakugo, please come with me." It must be in my head, but I hear the class cheer him on, clapping for his knightly behavior, for him giving me the consequences I deserve. Once Grape is put in a bed, I am steered towards All Might's office, where he sits me down. "Now, tell me what happened."

"Dumb shit, as per usual. I talked to Round Face with the intentions of steering her attention from Deku, Deku got all crybaby on me again, and I tripped Round Face in retaliation. Then I blew up Grape Juice for no reason."

"I think we both know that's not true, Katsuki." I look up, startled. "You love Izuku."

"What?! No, god no. I hate him!!!"

"Because of what you did to him in the past, you refuse to admit you regret it and that you love him, now."

No, no, no… I can't love him. "I… I just can't, All Might. Not when I was the idiot who broke him at such a young age. All he ever wanted was to follow behind me, never leave that place beside me, and I screwed it up. Trust me, he wants nothing to do with me anymore. He's only… tolerating me now because…"

"I heard you two were doing the talent show together."

"Well, that's only because he knows I can sing well, and that I work very hard."

"I'm rooting for you two, Katsuki, but only if you're willing to apologize to him for the past and move on with him. I know you have trouble expressing how you feel, but you have to directly say sorry, or else he's never going to forgive you."

"I've been apologizing. I've been making it up to him… Helping him train, and improve… Capitulating to his stupid talent show idea…"

"You need to be more direct than that, Young Bakugo."

"Mm. Maybe. Just, leave me alone…" I get up, walking off, but he pulls me back by my shoulder.

"Well, I need you to act as if you got after school detention tomorrow, but I hope you plan on spending that time studying and catching up on your hero studies. You seem distracted lately."

"Hah?!? So, you expect me to spend time holed up in my dorm room studying?!? I'm not behind or distracted All Might! I already told everyone, I always win, and I work hard. I'll be the number one hero. I'll do whatever it takes, and destroy myself before I ever accept defeat." I slam the door shut and storm back to class.

Monoma passes me, laughing at my expense and mocking my stomping walk. I punch him square in the nose and zip out of the empty hallway before anyone can spot me. I'm already in enough trouble as is… But I can't handle any more backlash from extras today. I meet up with Deku and his friends and apologize to him.

"You're only sorry that you got caught, Bakugo," Todoroki says, looking at me with cold eyes. "And you need to apologize to Uraraka."

I pause, contemplating this. "You know who you look an awful lot like, IcyHot?" I hesitate. Be better. "Nevermind. I'm sorry Pink Cheeks. I'll say sorry to Grape when he comes back." I bow. Everyone looks at me in shock, but Deku gives me a small smile.

"I forgive you, Kacchan."

I nod, looking away. He always does. I really don't deserve it.

Time goes on, and Aizawa-sensei wakes up to finish teaching. Class is soon over and I continue practicing with Deku.

One more week and then the talent show is here. Can't wait.

♡♡♡

Today's the day. The whole school has studies postponed so everyone can have a turn and a chance. There were plenty of people who were too shy to even sign up, but there were also plenty of those antisocial, introverted type people who were peer pressured into participating by their extrovert friends.

The first third of the day is for the first years, the second third for the second years, and the third… well, you get the picture. I put on the suit Kirishima once lent me when we went to I-Island and never actually took back. It's a nice red button-down, with a blue vest and light blue roses on the sides. I refuse to put on the stupid tie he made me wear that day, and knock on Deku's dorm room. "We're supposed to be backstage in fifteen minutes, nerd, are you ready?"

"Ah- um!- Yeah, just give me a second-"

He soon opens the door, also wearing the suit he wore on that island. "No. Come with me, now." I grab him by his tie and drag him into my dorm. I toss him onto the bed and rummage through my closet for something he can wear. I find another suit the old hag forced me to take to the dorms when I left home. It's plain, mostly black and white, but it's better than the shit he's wearing. I throw it at him. "Into my bathroom, change now."

He lets out a noise close to a whimper, typical of him, and does as he's told. I wait on my bed. When he emerges, he looks ten times better.

He sits beside me. "How much time do we have left, then?"

I glance at my phone. "Six more minutes… Deku… I-... I'm sorry for… everything. Especially for abandoning you when we were kids, for all of those miserable years you endured of me bullying you."

"I-I know you're sorry, Kacchan. I already told you; I forgave you a long time ago."

"R-... Really?"

"Really. I could never hate you."

He's lying.

It enters my train of thought before I can stop it, and it makes my head hurt. "You're lying. No one in their right mind…"

"Kacchan, when we were four years old, you pushed me to the ground for no particular reason and ran off with your old friends. Do you remember what I did?"

"N-... No."

"I got up, didn't bother to brush myself of dust and dirt, and chased you. When you started to bully me, I accepted it with no real complaints, not a word of protest or a plan to defend myself. It's not just because I was Quirkless, or because I was a coward. It's because I admired you so much. You may have some issues with your emotions, but there's so much about you I found awesome. Your raw strength, your determination, your power. Your hard work and diligence. I miss the days when you were my hero. I love you, Kacchan."

My eyes widen, and I lunge once more, kissing him fiercely. My fingers grab his waist, desperate to capture his lips and make him mine, finally. I really can't help it when I take it a step further, shoving my tongue in his mouth. He lets out a sound somewhat like a moan and pushes me off. "K-Kacchan?!"

"I love you too, you damn nerd." I caress those freckles I felt drawn to, and kiss him again.

"We have to get to the show, now. We should talk about this afterward, okay? About… Our relationship now." I nod, before taking him by the hand and dragging him out of the 1-A dorms to the main building, where they're holding the event in the theater room. I have Deku sit down before I go to talk to Shitty Hair about the suit.

"You're wearing my suit? You look so manly, dude!!! D… Did it remind you of me? I know you like Ochako, but I couldn't help but think…"

"No, Shitty Hair, I don't like Ochako. But I sure as hell don't like you. So don't get your hopes up. You're my best friend; that's it. As for the suit, I promise to return it after this. I forgot to last time, and you forgot to ask for it back. Though judging your response I'm guessing you didn't forget."

"Yeah… Sorry to spring that on you all of a sudden bro…"

"You're good. Just don't bring it up again and I can continue to tolerate your weirdly carefree behavior."

Deku's POV~
—————————

Kacchan heads back to me and sits down beside me. We're up as the tenth contestants, so we wait for many people's shows to finish backstage. I watch as some of 1-A do their best. Ashido, of course, does a dance choreography with Aoyama, and Jiro performs a singing duet with Kaminari. She plays electric guitar and Kaminari is bass, and they rock. Yaoyorozu and Shinso cheer them on from the sidelines, drowned out by the crowd and the rather loud song they're performing. We get up on the stage soon, with the acoustic guitar that he borrowed from Jiro.

"If I could begin to be, half of what you think of me… I could do about anything. I could even learn how to love…" Kacchan stares into my green eyes.

"When I see the way you act, wondering when I'm coming back, I could do about anything; I could even learn how to love like you…" I smile.

"Like you…"

" Love, like you…"

"I always thought I might be bad; now I'm sure that it's true, 'cause I think you're so good… And I'm nothing like you…" He looks at the ground, ashamed. I place a hand on his arm, reassuringly. And we both continue.

"… Look at you go! I just adore you!~ I wish that I knew…”

"What makes me think, you're so special…"

"What makes you think, I'm so special…"


"If I could begin to do, something that does right by you… I would do about anything! I would even learn how to love~" He smiles at me.

"When I see the way you look, shaken by how long it took… I could do about anything! I could even learn how to love like you." I smile back.

"Love like you…"

"Love me, like you~" He strums the last humming, beating note, and we're done. He puts the guitar in the case, slings the strap over his shoulder, and takes my hand. We walk off stage.
Sign up to rate and review this story