Categories > Anime/Manga > My Hero Academia > MHA OneShots

Line Without a Hook (NejiYuyu and MomoJiro)

by Amelia_Dreemurr 0 reviews

Confessing through song is cheesy. Doing it in front of an entire school is cheesier.

Category: My Hero Academia - Rating: G - Genres: Romance - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2021-03-09 - 1700 words

0Unrated
Kyoka Jiro stood outside, in a t-shirt and jeans, the night sky reminding her of Momo’s beautiful sleek black hair and shining eyes. She stared up at it, listening to music through wireless beats. Music was her passion, so she tended to keep a song in mind at all times. Her t-shirt was band merch, her Quirk having to do with sound, everything about her screamed punk rock. So when she ran into a third year, with pink short hair and her own headphones, as well as a band t-shirt, Kyoka’s eyes widened. They were both realizing that they were extremely similar, and they paused their music, laughing. Kyoka’s black ripped jeans contrasted with Yuyu’s white ones, but other than that they were easily comparable to a tee.

“I’m Yuyu Haya. And you?” She held out a hand, with pastel nails, whereas Kyoka’s, short and bitten down to stubs, were painted black. She took it, chuckling a little still.

“Kyoka Jiro. What sort of music aesthetic are you, then?”

“Bedroom pop.”

“Cool. I’m more of a punk rock kind of gal. My parents love music.”

“You’re a first year from 1-A, right? I remember seeing you in the sports festival. You took down all those robots with those, correct?” Yuyu pointed to Kyoka’s ear jacks, and the purple-haired girl blushed, embarrassed.

“Y-Yeah.”

“I’m in class 3-A with Nejire Hado, the girl from the Big Three.”

“Cool.” Kyoka rubbed the back of her neck, nervous. “What are you doing out here so late?”

“I could ask you the same thing.”

She flushed a bright red once more. “Just needed to clear my head.”

Moments prior, Kyoka’s crush had defended her. “We shouldn’t push her if she doesn’t want to, guys.” But she placed a hand on Momo’s shoulder, smiling slightly.

“It’s fine, YaoMomo… I’ll do it. I’ll teach everyone." And the rich, beautiful, unattainable class deputy made everyone expensive tea to celebrate. Seeing how passionate everyone was ⁠— even Bakugo offered to play the drums ⁠— Kyoka decided to sing, apparently the best in the class.

Singing in front of a crowd was not a big deal, but with Momo listening? Kyoka would die from embarrassment. So far, no one in class 1-A had come out, with sexualities and crushes being kept under wraps. And Kyoka felt entirely alone. What if they were all under the ideals of heteronormativity? Not to mention the very obvious crush Momo had on Todoroki.

As Yuyu showed the distressed girl her playlist, Kyoka audibly sighed.

“Boring you, am I?” The girl with the pixie cut gave an amused smile.

“N-No, it’s not that! It’s j-just-!” She sighed again, sitting down on a nearby bench. A tomato red as she thought about Momo. Yuyu sat down beside her. “Do you ever feel like… you’re completely alone sometimes?”

The other ran a hand through her hair, contemplative. “Yeah. I’m the only one in my class that likes the things I do, dyes my hair, pierces places other than my earlobes.” She stuck out her tongue to reveal a shiny black stud. “Plus, I’ve got a fairy tat here.” She pulled up the sleeve of her t-shirt and sure enough, there was a black silhouette of a fairy on her shoulder.

Kyoka stared in awe. “Man, I wish I was eighteen. My parents are cool and all, but they’re not that cool.”

Yuyu smiled, before nudging her arm. “Tell me what’s on your mind, little first year.” Kyoka wondered if she should tell her. But what was the worst that could happen?

“I’m… lesbian.”

“Same, actually.” The punk rock chick perked up immediately.

“Really?!” A nod. “No one in my class has come out, so I’m super nervous about it. To top it off, I like the prettiest girl in 1-A… The class deputy.” She sighed again.

“We could be twins, then. I like Nejire Hado. Prettiest, most capable girl in 3-A…” Yuyu held out her hand to examine her colorful nails. “I really wish she’d give me some sort of sign that she likes… whatever, really. Boys, girls. Who cares? I have no shot either way.”

Kyoka rubs her red cheeks. “I might have an idea… What are you two doing for the festival?”

“She’s participating in the beauty pageant, and I’m helping her get ready… We’re both excused from what the rest of the class is doing, and so is Mirio and Tamaki.”

“Well, um. I’m doing a concert performance. I have to teach people how to play instruments and I’m the lead vocals.” Kyoka blushed, embarrassed. “And Mina’s teaching people how to dance, but after that… I could do something that helps us both confess?”

“Like what?”

“A song? All you’d have to do is make sure you get to the auditorium in time after our performance and come up to the stage. We could sing to them. If you want.”

“S-Sure. That honestly sounds awesome. And so much easier than just telling her.” Yuyu laughed, feeling relieved to finally let someone know she was into girls. “Okay, well, if you want to practice together, I have access to the music room after classes.” She hands Kyoka her phone with a warm smile, and Kyoka takes it, nodding, before using it to put her phone number into her contacts. Handing it back, she felt relieved as well. To get things off of her nonexistent chest.

♡♡♡

Soon, they were hanging out, talking, every day. People began to look at them strangely. Seeing them walking together in the corridors, knowing how the stereotype went. They were both so unique and standoffish, that people began rumors that they were together. A couple. They ignored them. Smiling a little when they heard such silly rumors. They were good friends, and they knew they’d be able to pull off their plan.

Weeks later, and they were ready.

Kyoka put on her orange themed outfit — not a color she necessarily liked, but it was the uniform Momo made for everyone. She hid the outfit she wore to I-Island and the dress Yuyu gave her backstage though, for them to change into quickly. She did her hair neatly and did breathing exercises to calm her nerves. Lacing up her white knee-high boots… She was ready.

She went out there, ready to sing her heart out, and the performance was far from half-assed. Bakugo crushed it with the drums, and so did the other people on instruments. Mina must have trained the dance team well; even Aoyama and Midoriya performed well.
But time flew by, and she spotted Yuyu’s face in the crowd. The song ended with a bang, and Kyoka lingered as the rest of her classmates headed backstage to clean up after the mess. People began filing out of the auditorium. “U-Um, wait!” The mic projects this, and people pause. “There was one last thing I wanted to do, um… Could Yuyu Haya, Nejire Hado, and Momo Yaoyorozu please come to the stage?”

Yuyu smiled. Walking over with Nejire in tow. Momo walked back over from behind her. “Jiro?”

“Just… trust me.” She pulled up two chairs for Nejire and Momo to sit in, before her and Yuyu rushed backstage to change. Quickly, before Mineta caught on. And so people wouldn’t get impatient. They emerged in formal wear, and Kyoka let out a breath she didn’t realize she was holding.

They hummed as the music started up. “Oh, oh~”

“'Cause there is something, and there is nothing…”

“There is nothing in between…” Yuyu smiled at Kyoka.

“And in my eyes, there is a tiny dancer~”

“Watching over me, she's singing—”

“She’s a, she’s a lady, and... I am not a boy…” Kyoka stared into Momo’s eyes, hands shaking. “Singing she’s a, she’s a lady, and I am just a line without a hook—”

“—Oh baby I am a wreck when I'm without you!”

“I need you here to stay…”

“I broke all my bones that day I found you—”

“—crying at the lake!”

“Was it something I said to make you feel like you're a burden, oh~”

“And if I could take it all back~”

“I swear that I—”

“—would pull you from the tide…~” They finished together, smiling nervously.

“We… um. I like you, YaoMomo.”

“And I’ve always liked you, Nejire…”

They’d been so focused on the song that they hadn’t particularly read the emotions that danced on their faces. Nejire jumped up and flung her arms around Yuyu, crying and smiling simultaneously. “Three years, and you liked me all along. I’m such an airhead, Yu…”

Momo stood, shocked, and Kyoka covered her face with her hands, knowing she could be rejected. “I-I just had to tell you somehow, and I know you like Todoroki and all but I figured I should let you know, b-because I don’t want our friendship to be ruined by any means and-” She was rambling at this point, but Momo only smiled, reaching over and gently taking her hands from her face.

“I don't like Todoroki-kun, Kyoka.” And she kissed her deeply. Kyoka felt herself go red from head to toe, and Momo’s hands were tightly clutching her own.

The auditorium erupted into applause, and she heard cheers from backstage as well, where their classmates watched. Kyoka felt tears run down her face, and Momo let go of the shared kiss, reaching up to dry her tear-stained face.

“I-I didn’t expect you to say that, and I didn’t expect anyone to support it. I’m sorry.” She laughed, also using a free hand to wipe some tears. Momo made a handkerchief with her Quirk and gave it to her. Kyoka laughed again, before reaching over to take the mic off the stand. “I-I guess that’s it. Thanks for sticking around!” She smiled, unbelievably happy. As they walked back, everyone congratulated the two. And for once, Kyoka didn’t feel alone. And she was overjoyed.
Sign up to rate and review this story