Categories > Anime/Manga > Pokemon > The Spirit of Alola

22. The Storm Begins

by CJWorthington 0 reviews

Chapter 22 of The Spirit of Alola

Category: Pokemon - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2021-04-09 - Updated: 2021-10-29 - 2114 words - Complete

0Unrated
It's early evening when Burnet and I step out of the windowless playroom. The lab is unlit by sunlight, the glass door to the backyard showing the world outside has darkened. I walk over to the door curiously, glance out at the stormy sky, and crack it open slightly to listen. The wind has only just started blowing through the deadened trees, and the sounds of the Pokémon from the front of the house have quieted to a soft murmur.

"We should bring the Pokémon in," I say to my neighbor. I look around at the room and find myself grateful that Maui the Corviknight isn't here. It'll be a tight fit already with Whiplash, Billy, and Sam's Mudsdale. I don't think the giant purple bird would fit into the room, even with the ample space within.

"Kabir took his Pokeballs with him," Burnet says, realizing what I do in time with my thoughts. "This is gonna be a tight squeeze."

In truth, the large room can fit everyone in it, just not comfortably. I still don't want to wake my sister, so it's down here that we'll have to stay until she awakes. Besides, the upstairs door wouldn't be large enough to fit the Mudsdale, Gogoat, or Milotic. Thankfully the entrance down here is tall and double-wide, the door sliding in opposite directions to reveal a sizable opening. It was one of my favorite features of this home.

"These storms sure do come in fast and sudden, don't they," I say, watching the wind gust through the bare branches of the trees, rattling them in shivering, bark-less masses, like some macabre skeletal forest.

"They sometimes do, but this is a bit extreme. We don't normally get so many this time of year." Burnet answers with a worried glance at the sky.

I call out to the Pokemon in the playroom and tell them to watch the children while Burnet and I step out. They chirp a confirmation and return to playing with their charges. Burnet calls to her Munchlax and tells it to stay as well. It glances over at her and confirms her command, then returns to its playing.

"I need to get the Pokémon at my house put away too." The white-haired woman calls over the wind as we step outside, walking quickly to the front. My long black hair whips me in the face, blinding my eyes and slapping against my cheeks. I pull the hair tie on my wrist off, push my hair into a ponytail, and then pull it through once more, just halfway to make a messy loop.

"Alright, take Sugar," I say, handing her my Rapidash's Pokeball. "Can you ride without a headstall?"

"Yes, that won't be an issue," she answers, placing the ball into her pocket.

We run over to the Pokémon in the front. Most of them sit by the benches, staying near each other, waiting to be recalled to the safety of their balls or allowed inside the house through an open door. There's no real danger yet, but the impending storm has put them on edge, as our crew isn't used to the intense storms that hit these parts.

Tempest, my husband's Raichu, is the only one to show any excitement about the situation. Her tail is raised in the air, eagerly awaiting the super-charged power of the storm. The electric mouse Pokémon stands tiptoed on the steps leading to the sea, sniffing the air and glancing about in excitement.

"Tempest dear, we need to get inside," I call to her over the rising sound of the wind.

"Rai rai?" she questions, looking upset by the prospect. But, even with her response, she doesn't come over to me. She's a kind Pokémon, but she tends to be rather stubborn.

"Come on," I say again, placing a hand on her head and kneeling in front of her. "We can't stay out here. This isn't like the storms from our old home. The storms here are stronger than the ones we are used to. If there weren't so much wind, it wouldn't be as dangerous, but." I slide off my sentence, grabbing onto a paw and pulling gently. "Come on, little one. Let's go." She pulls her paw away and turns back to the sea. I sigh in frustration and shake my head.

"Is everything okay?" Burnet asks, coming up beside me, my fiery horse Pokémon following close behind, already having been told about the run downhill. Sugar stomps her hoof against the ground, impatient to get started before the storm worsens.

"Yeah, it's fine," I shout over the wind. Even in just the last few minutes, it's picked up more. The fresh smell of rain hits my nose, and I know we don't have much time before the weather turns sour. "Go, get downhill," I say, pointing in the direction of her house.

"Alright, but I'll be back in just a minute," she says. Her voice is worried and strained, torn between helping the Pokémon at her house and leaving her son at my home.

She turns around and places her hand onto Sugar's back, right below the edge of her mane. With a practice motion, she bends her knees then leaps smoothly onto the horse's back, swinging her leg over one side and pulling herself up swiftly.

She clicks her tongue at the horse, and the two set off down the hill, first in a trot as they pass through my garden, then switching to a gallop as they head downhill. I watch as the fiery glow of my horse dims as it speeds away into the surge darkened world. It barely takes a minute for the swift Pokémon and rider to make it to the bottom.

"Garbee, Bead," I call out to my Pokémon. "Help me out here."

My fire-type Ninetales and Leafeon come over and help me shepherd the stubborn Raichu towards the house. Ninetales gives a few motivating nips and growls of frustration at the electric mouse's refusal. He's not the most patient of Pokémon. My Leafeon pushes her forward with his leafy tail, not as unfriendly as the first.

I grab the long ago discarded reins of Mudsdale off the table and start to lead the giant horse towards the house, a handful of dirt in my hand. He isn't pleased with the dry offering, but he seems to know why I'm moving him and slowly follows me, ears flicking nervously.

The Pokémon and I make our way towards the backyard, but a flash of light that isn't storm-generated near my house stops me in my tracks.

Anya is running out the door of the house, Pokeball still in hand from the Pidgeot she just released.

"Anya!" I yell, abandoning the Pokémon in front of me and sprinting towards my sister, fighting against the wind and trying hard to make myself heard. I skid to a halt at her side. "Where are you going? The storm's about to hit."

"There's been a serious accident on Akala. The hospital is going into overdrive, all hands on deck. With the flu, many of the emergency staff are unable to work with the general public, so I need to get down there to help."

A look passes over her face. Just a fleeting glance, but I don't need anything more to understand my twin's apology about the fight from earlier that day.

"Alright," I say, returning her gaze with my own apologies. "I'll watch Himiko. The storm is coming from the north. If you hurry, you should be able to avoid the worst of it."

"Thank you," Anya nods, then pulls herself onto the back of the Pidgeot. "Kabir should be back soon." So she says, though the look in her eyes tells a different story. Still, she continues. "Let me know how he's doing, and keep me updated if anything happens."

"Anya," I say, stepping closer, to be better heard over the wind, "let me know when you get there."

She nods without another word. The Pidgeot spreads its wings and takes a running leap into the air, battling through the winds. They pull up higher, shooting off to the south, away from the oncoming storm, strong wings flapping with expert precision as it pulls them through the air.

I don't hear the pattering of hooves and paws as Burnet returns, a crew of Pokémon in her wake. I stare, surprised by the arrival of the six extra critters. Five were running alongside my horse, and one was nestled in front of her. A Rotom Dex floats alongside them, one of its red arms clinging to the Professor's shoulder.

"Was that Anya? Is everything okay?" She doesn't try to mask her worry this time as she jumps off Sugars back and runs close, fear flashing in her eyes.

"There's been an accident in Akala. Anya had to go back to help in the Emergency Room."

Burnet visibly deflates. She places a hand on her chest, sighing in relief, eyes closed and shaking her head. I can understand why she was scared. Even though Anya had told us that our husbands' were recovering well, we were both still on edge for something more catastrophic to happen.

Burnet notices my confusion as I look at the extra creatures she has brought with her. "They were too nervous about the storm to be left alone." She says apologetically.

"I can understand that," I respond, looking at the black clouds hanging over the island.

A flash of lightning pulls us from our thoughts. Thunder rumbles through the sky only two seconds after. A bleat of surprise sounds behind us from my husband's nervous Gogoat, and we both return to the task at hand. Sam's Mudsdale raises onto its hind legs and kicks two massive hooves out in front, impatient and fearful.

"Sugar," I call to my Rapidash, "calm Mudsdale. We need to get inside before this turns bad."

The smaller horse walks over to the large brown one, neighing gently, bobbing her head up and down. Sam's horse pulls his ears forward as Sugar, and I approach. I place a calming hand on his shoulder and lead him to the back, followed by Burnet and the remaining Pokémon. Garbee and Bead wait for us with a twitchy Tempest, the Raichu by the back door. Another flash of lightning shoots across the sky, thunder not taking any time now to announce the arrival of the storm.

Burnet begins shooing the large group of Pokémon into my basement, having slid open both sides of the door. They pile in, eager to stay dry before the rain begins. I don't move towards the door, though, and instead stand, rooted to my spot.

I can just barely make out the figure of a man standing in my backyard. The sky has darkened significantly, so I can only see a barely visible silhouette, standing in the forest, staring back at me, unmoving. I keep my eyes trained on the form, squinting in the darkness, but can't form a more comprehensible shape out of it.

Another flash of light arcs over the sky, shining brightly over everything, causing me to blink at the intensity of the gleam. The figure vanishes as the light fades and the third boom of thunder crashes through the world. A raindrop falls onto my head, then a second, and then a third.

The sky opens up, and the rain falls heavy and hard, suddenly filling the world with water. I drag my eyes off the place where the form had been standing and realize I'm now alone. Burnet yells at me from the door, swinging her arms at me, trying to call me in. I cast glances at the spot as I hurry to the door, already soaked to the bone.

"What? Are you okay?" Burnet asks as I close the door behind me, still staring.

"Uh...yeah. Yeah," I say, clearing my throat and giving my head a shake. I find the handle with my fingers and tug on the latch, locking the door, then pull the curtains closed. My neighbor stares at my seemingly sudden need for protection in concern. I explain what I saw to her, and she pushes the curtain over slightly, peaking outside as well.

"I don't see anyone," she says hesitantly, weaving her head around and squinting her eyes, trying to get a better look at the blackened world outside. "It was probably just a trick of the light."

"I bet you're right," I agree, moving away with her but not entirely convinced.
Sign up to rate and review this story