Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Welcome to New Jersey, Kiddo

Just Give it Time

by Wordsrgolden451 0 reviews

Donna and Vic discuss relationships and art...

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Drama,Romance - Published: 2021-12-03 - 910 words

0Unrated
“I’m in the kitchen sweetheart!” Vic heard Donna call, as she shut the door behind her. She wandered into the kitchen following the delicious scent of…

“Pumpkin muffins!” she exclaimed and eagerly sat down at the kitchen table.

Donna smiled and put a plate of muffins on the table, “I always feel like baking in the fall. It’s something about the cold weather.”

“My stomach is suddenly grateful for the cold,” said Vic, around a mouthful of muffin.

“Oh honey, it isn’t that cold outside,” said Donna, laughing.

“Donna, I’m from Florida. To me, this is freezing!” Vic said, with a grimace.

“Just you wait until is starts snowing!” Donna laughed even harder at Vic’s face.

“So, how was school?” she asked, when she got her breath back.

“Well, academically, I’m doing fine. Socially? Don’t ask,” Vic said, cramming another muffin into her mouth.

Donna nodded understandingly as she set a glass of milk in front of her young guest.

“I mean it’s not like I mind not having friends. I get along better with adults anyway.” Vic smiled and snorted. “My dad always said that I was born 35. What I mind, is the whole guy, and/or non-existent boyfriend, thing. Either they’re not mature enough, or they don’t know I’m alive. It’s so frustrating!”

The irate teenager smacked the table with the palm of her hand, causing her plate to rattle noisily.

“Just give it time. You haven’t found the right one yet. I don’t know how many times I’ve had this same conversation with my oldest about girls. I tell him to be patient and he promptly tells me he will never find the right one and will never get married. Something to do with his 'lifestyle',” Donna said, shaking her head and sighing.

“How old is your oldest?” asked Vic.

“He’s 30 and apparently feeling every bit of it.”

Vic laughed at Donna’s sarcastic tone, “30 isn’t old! Have you told him that?”

“Oh, I’ve tried. He’s been through a lot and has a bit of an old soul. Like your father says about you. He’s coming home for awhile next month. He always comes home at the holidays….” Donna looked thoughtful for a second, almost as if she was reliving holidays past…or scheming.

“What does your son do?”

“Oh, he’s…in a band.”

“It must be tough.”

“It is sometimes. But he loves it,” said Donna, smiling. “His younger brother got married to a lovely girl not too long ago and they’re off enjoying a bit of an extended honeymoon. He should be back in Belleville soon as well.”

Something tugged at the back of Vic’s mind. Half of a memory that seemed important but probably wasn’t. Donna’s next question drove the feeling right out of her head.

“Did you finish that picture for art class?”

“Yup. I got an A too,” said Vic, pulling her sketchbook out of her bag. As she flipped through it, the sheet for the fall program fell out.

“What’s this?” asked Donna, picking it up.

Vic made a face, “I’ll tell you about that in a second. Here’s my picture.”

The page showed a girl, an angel, with broken black wings. Her face was streaked with tears and she was cut and bruised. She was leaning against a gravestone and there was a book next to her on the ground. The word ‘love’ was clearly visible on the cover.

“It’s so sad. What was the project again?” Donna queried, as she stared at the picture.

“We had to pick a song; it had to be from the 80’s or earlier, and draw the first thing that came to mind.”

“What song did you choose?”

“ ‘Broken Wings’ by Mr. Mister.”

“You got all of that from one song?” Donna looked surprised.

“You should see what I draw when I listen to MCR,” said Vic, grinning.

Donna smiled faintly, “You’ll have to show my son when he comes home, he's an artist too. Now, what’s this about a fall program?”

Vic sighed, “Part of it is my own stupidity. Mr. Sharp, the head of the drama/music department, caught me singing in the auditorium today. He basically liked the sound of my voice and wants me to sing at the fall assembly.”

“I think that’s wonderful, sweetheart! When is it?”

“It’s the weekend before Thanksgiving break. I’m not supposed to sing until the end. I basically tell everyone to have a good break and what-not.”

“Is it an open assembly or just for immediate family?”

“My family is going to be there, I’m sure but, I’d like you to come. I’m going to need all of the moral support I can get,” replied the teen, while biting her lip.

“I’m sure you’ll do fine. I have faith in you,” said Donna, giving Vic a hug.

“Thanks. I can choose what I want to sing. I did some research on what’s been done at the assembly in the past and I think I have a new idea…” Vic grinned wickedly.

“What are you going to do?” Donna asked, with a slightly worried tone.

“You’ll see,” said Vic, with a laugh.


Author's Note: Thanks for reading and love and comments are life! Hugs
Sign up to rate and review this story