Categories > Games > Pokemon > Pokèmon: Serene and Discord

Chapter Two - Meeting the Partners

by CJWorthington 0 reviews

Chapter 2 of Pokémon; Serene and Discord

Category: Pokemon - Rating: G - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2022-02-27 - 1960 words

0Unrated
With a flash of light, three small Pokémon were released in front of the new Trainers. Athini Acacia’s eyes shifted between looking at the children, gaging their excited reactions to finally meeting their partners, and watching the Mons. Even though Riley and Felix were her own children, she had worked very hard to ensure they never met these three Pokèmon, wanting them to start off their journey just the same as any other Trainer. She swung her hand forward, motioning to her RotomDex, who had been sitting, quietly observing the scene, which she then instructed to announce the creatures at her feet.

The small orange, mechanical Pokèmon floated in front of the three Trainers, between the creatures before them and turned the screen on its front to a Pokédex cover page that showed a picture of one of them. Speaking in a happy, buzzing voice, it began;

“Entry number one: Foliroo,” the small floating device stated. “A Grass type. This Pokémon is naturally very shy and has a hard time making friends. Trainers who pick this as their first partner will have a lot of work ahead of them, teaching the creature to be confident in its own abilities. Even so, they are very sweet and easy for other Pokémon to get along with, but they may not be willing to interact with new friends right away.

“They have powerful back legs that give it both strong kicks and an excellent jumping ability. When they sleep, they can often be seen curling their long tail over their body to tuck their nose underneath. The leaves on their tails indicate their health. The more vibrant and large the foliage, the healthier the Pokèmon.”

Foliroo was the smallest of the three. It had long green ears that twisted and turned nervously towards the smallest sounds. It’s brown eyes were large, and filled with worry as it gazed up at the three new humans before it.

“Aww, hey little one, there’s nothing to be afraid of,” Felix tried soothing, stepping forward and pushing his hand close, the palm face up.

At this movement, the long legged, bipedal creature turned swiftly around and hopped hurriedly to behind Professor Acacia’s ankles, placing its shorter two front legs on her heels and staring back at them. It’s long brown tail swished in front of its back legs, clutching the Professor’s shoes, shivering. The two green leaves on the tip were drooping slightly and rustling.

“Foliroo,” the tall blonde woman said, addressing the small green creature with a soft voice, “there’s nobody here that you should be afraid of. In fact, one of these new Trainers will pick you to be their very first Pokémon Partner.” She reached down and picked the still shaking Mon up. “Won’t it be fun to travel and get stronger?” The tall blonde scratched it between its ears and turned back to the watching teenagers.

“Rotom,” She continued with a small chuckle, “would you please introduce the next Pokèmon.”

“Certainly Professor! Entry number four: Swindevil, a Fire type. This Pokèmon is very naughty and clever enough to nearly always get its way. They like to sit statue still, pretending to be a stuffed toy. Many people have been fooled by this ruse and assume it is either the toy it acts as, or a docile and loving Pokèmon, especially with its big eyes and sweet looking face.

“New Trainers of this Pokèmon are in for a long and arduous trial as they try to convince them to obey even simple commands. During battle, this Pokèmon likes to act weak, sitting still on the ground. When the opposition approaches to investigate, it will jump suddenly into action, slashing at the attacker with unsheathed claws.”

This next Pokémon was brown and beige, with orange stripes all along it’s body. It sat, back legs splayed out on the ground in front of it, unmoving. It didn’t blink the large blue eyes, or even appear to be breathing. The children stared at the statued creature, Riley and Felix both eyeing it back with humorous looks on their faces.

“Um, Professor. Is this really a Pokèmon, or is it just a stuffed doll? I know Rotom said it pretends to be one, but I don’t think anything can hold that still.” Amelia asked walking up to it and gently placing a hand on its soft head. Even though she could feel the warmth of a living creature beneath her fingers, it still remained unchanged.

With another laugh at the still new-to-the-region child she, answered. “I promise you, dear, it certainly is a living Pokèmon.”

“One left to go, everyone!” The RotomDex interrupted with a chirp to gather their attentions once more. “Entry number seven: Vexling, a Water type. This Pokèmon is generally very distrusting of anyone it meets. New Trainers who pick Vexling as their first partner are in for a difficult time gaining the trust of this creature. The rewards of fully befriending one are great though, as they are very protective of those it sees as allies and will do everything in it’s power to ensure their happiness and safety.

“When in battle or traveling, this Pokèmon will tuck it’s head against it’s body, forming a perfect ball. On the rare occasions when this Pokèmon is filled with great joy, they will roll around at high speeds, bouncing around it’s Trainer and friend’s, all while making light, musical squeaks.”

The entire time, Vexling had been rolling around the group of people in the room, stopping at times to pop it’s long neck out and look everyone over with calculating pink eyes. It’s body was blue and as round as a ball, pink spots along the head, neck, and upper half. The bottom was a light blue. The bird Pokémon kept its wings tucked close to it’s body and all the feathers were well groomed to a shimmering finish.

Seeming to sense the finality in the RotomDex’s voice, Vexling stopped it’s circling and analyzing of the people, tucked its head back against it’s body, and rolled back in front of the children. Though it clearly knew what was going on, it continued to stare at the children with frustrated eyes.

Professor Athini Acacia faced the children fully once more, still holding the Foliroo and standing behind Swindevil and Vexling. “Alright then everyone, do you know who you’d all like as your first Partners?”

“Well, mom,” Riley began, glancing down at their brother, who nodded back in return. “Felix and I were talking about this last night, and we thought it would be best to let the newest resident of Kaneko pick first. So, Amelia,” they said, now facing the young girl, “why don’t you take a moment and decide who you would like. Felix and I have had training at the school as well as plenty of time to learn about them, having grown up with a Professor for a parent! So it only makes sense to let you have the first choice.” They smiled eagerly at her, Felix ushering his hands forward encouragingly.

“I-,” Amelia began, with a shocked expression. “I guess, if you two don’t mind. I don’t really know much about any Pokèmon in this region, but, before my family moved, I had been planning on getting a Water type as my first partner, so, Vexling, I choose you.” She ended, looking at the still irritated Pokèmon. “What do you think?”

The round blue bird gave an annoyed snort at the dark skinned teenager and ducked its head under its wing, preening instead, and choosing to ignore the attempt at friendship.

“That’s an excellent choice, dear, but it will take some work to gain the respect of this one.” The Professor said, a concerned smile on her face.

“Amelia, is that really who you want?” Riley asked, their smile growing wide when the girl nodded her head. “Oh, thank the Obori! We were hoping you’d pick that one! Felix, go ahead and get Your’s. You already know who I’ll choose!”

“Right,” Felix answered, walking forward and stopping in front of the remaining two. “I want the Fire type, Swindevil. I hope you and I can be friends!”

He stared down at the brown Pokèmon, as it continued, as before, to sit as still as a rock.

“Um, Swindevil, did you hear me? I want you to be my partner.”

Still no response.

“Well, Rye,” Professor Acacia said with a chuckle and rolling her eyes at the bear-like Mon sitting on the floor. “That leaves you with little Foliroo here. Do you think you can make friends with my child?” She asked, now addressing the Pokémon in her arms.

Instead of answering, it ducked its head, pushing its nose into her hand and closing its eyes. The Professor set the still shivering creature onto the ground, where it skidded to a halt behind her ankles, staring at Riley as they crouched on their knees in front of their mom.

“Hey little one,” they said softly. “I’m going to pick you as my partner, so we will need to find a way to work together. I know everything is scary when you’re so small, but I’ll help you grow strong, if you’ll let me.” They reached a hand out, holding it still for the creature.

Foliroo stared into Riley’s eyes, seeming to chew on the young teen’s words, before creeping forward and giving the outstretched fingers a tentative sniff. The Mon dropped onto it’s front paws and slowly crept forward, allowing Riley to give it a scratch on the head.

“Ah, that’s better. See? I’m not so scary am-,” but they couldn’t finish their sentence.

As they were interacting, Felix had been giving Swindevil a few gentle prods in it’s stomach, trying to elicit a reaction. Just as Riley was about to pet Foliroo for the first time, the mischievous Swindevil sprung suddenly to it’s feet with a loud squeal and sprinted on four paws across the room, knocking Vexling over and bumping into Professor Acacia’s legs.

The Professor stumbled slightly, causing Foliroo to skitter away from her shifting feet, straight into Riley’s lap, where it buried its face into their arms, shivering harder than ever.

Furious at being knocked over, Vexling hissed at Swindevil, shooting a Bubblebeam from its mouth with surprising accuracy, soaking the still galavanting Pokémon. The Fire Pokémon spun on its back paws and charged forward, with a squeal of delight at the oncoming battle. It shot an Ember back at the bird, then lifted its front paws to leap over it. Vexling, not missing a beat, rolled over on its back and spat another water attack out, hitting the Mon in the belly mid-jump.

“That’s enough you two!” Riley tried to call, now standing, holding their Foliroo in their arms to keep it out of the battle. Their voice was drowned out though, by another furious hiss from Vexling as it was hit by a Scratch.

It opened its wings, beak glowing as it made ready to retaliate with a Peck.

“Vexling, don’t do that!” Amelia shouted, trying to gain the attention of her Pokémon.

“Swindevil, knock it off!” Felix tried to be heard over the chaos, but the two Pokémon refused to heed the words of their new Trainers as the sudden outbreak continued on.
Sign up to rate and review this story