Categories > Games > Pokemon > Pokèmon: Serene and Discord

Chapter Five - A Flock of Color

by CJWorthington 0 reviews

Chapter five of Pokémon: Serene and Discord

Category: Pokemon - Rating: G - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2022-03-27 - Updated: 2023-02-03 - 1661 words

0Unrated
The teenagers joyously marched through the gates, waving eagerly to the guards on their way out. Two sentries hollered farewells from their posts atop the wall while a few other villagers stood on the threshold of the open doors to shout their goodbyes as well. The children of the Professor had been very popular in their hometown, so many people were sad to see them leaving, but excited for them as well.

The boiling Kaneko sun beat heavily down on the travelers, making the air wavy and slightly distorted, but the trio barely seemed to notice as they moved, their eagerness outweighing the oppressive heat. The path they followed was beaten down by the many travelers who would visit Luconda and it’s Acacia Labs. Fine red dirt floated around their ankles, kicked up in thin clouds with every step the teenagers and their Pokèmon took.

The dry grass was as tall as Felix, waving its golden tips in the air, glaring off the sun’s intense rays and making the world seem even more vibrant in light. The trees were of a massive and sturdy rooted variety, with thick trunks and solid red and yellow leaves that didn’t require as much water to grow. Giant rocks littered the ground, here and there, barely visible over the grass until one approached closer.

The children surveyed the land before them, standing on a nearby boulder and all the eye could see ahead of them was the red dirt path, golden grass, and stout trees. Pokémon peeked their heads over the long grass at times, or paused on their way down a trunk to briefly watch the observing group. Overhead, a flock of colorful birds fluttered through the air, the murmuration they created looking like a black patch in the bright blue sky.

Amelia pulled her RotomDex out and it soared excitedly in front of her face.

“Entry 21: Kanekan Pidgey,” it started out, flashing the cover page of the stated Pokemon across the screen. “The Little Leaf Pokémon. A Flying and Grass type. The Pidgey line is not originally native to the lands of Kaneko, but were instead introduced many years ago into the region to help offset the overpopulation of the highly aggressive Pokemon line of Arachnom. As time went on, they gained a Grass typing to help them against their foe. The dark blacks around their eyes gives them incredible sight in the bright sun, but they’re eyesight is very poor at night.

“They live in massive nests at the tops of trees, gathering in large colonies of like-species. Due to their small size, they hunt in packs, overwhelming prey with numbers rather than strength. In the case of particularly difficult foes, colonies may combine and the sight of them all swarming through the sky has been known to block out the sun as they flew overhead.”


“Well, these look pretty different from the Pidgey where I come from. Ours are just brown and beige, and only a Normal and Flying type.” Amelia stated, screwing up her eyes at the sky to get a better look at the colorful Pokémon, her left hand raised to shield her face from the blaring sunlight.

Contrary to the ones mentioned from other regions, who’s dull colors helped them to blend into the trees and dirt of their native homes, these birds had far more vibrancy and stood out easily against the golden lands. The males of the species had blue backs with yellow underbellies, while the females had dark brown backs with light beige bellies. Both genders had a dark and light green leaf-like plumage on their heads and tails.

The sudden cry of a Pokémon caught the attention of the gathered group and they all looked towards the noise to see a bigger bird diving right at them. The teenagers jumped down from their boulder and fled at the sight, the bird easily catching up, but merely swooping out of the way before making contact with the fleeing kids, letting off another furious screech in warning.

It followed them for a short ways, threatening the trio with sharp claws barely tapping skin and a powerful beak snapping next to their ears as it dived in and out behind them. When they were finally a safe distance from the swarm, the attacking bird retreated back and began immediately squawking directions to the smaller ones.

“Rotom, what was that?” Amelia said, quickly catching her composure and facing the flock once more, while the other two flopped onto a new boulder a bit off the path to, more slowly, regain their own breath.

“Entry 22: Kanekan Pidgeotto.” The Dex responded. “The Sharp Beak Pokémon. The strong claws and powerful beaks of these Pokemon mean they are able to bash through even large rocks. They are the leaders and caretakers of their flocks and will often use their strength to break open the tough shells of their prey to feed their young. To prove themselves, Pidgeotto will smash through boulders and even carve out holes in the sides of mountains.

“The Pokémon’s plumage and glossy feathers become healthier and more vibrant with the more sun that shines down on them. When they rest in their nests, the most powerful of the flock will sleep on the highest branches to catch the most sunlight. The weakest members may sometimes only get a couple hours a day and their dull feathers will be the indication of the low ranking.”

“They all looked pretty healthy to me.” Riley said with a laugh, slapping their brother on the shoulder.

Felix chuckled softly back, but remained staring at the murmuration as it continued to swarm in the sky. “I don’t recall seeing such a big colony near the town before.” He commented.

“You heard what Rotom said though. They combine colonies to attack in large numbers when they have difficult foes to handle. Maybe there is a strong Pokemon nearby that they are trying to scare off.” The tall teen answered back, not seeming concerned.

“Yeah,” Amelia agreed. “Besides, that group seems quite strong enough to take down whatever it might be. We were scared off by only one of them, and there has to be at least a hundred in that flock.

“I only saw one Pidgeotto in that group and not a single Pidgeot, though. That’s really not normal.” The youngest member said, puzzled.

“Oh Felix, stop your fretting.” Riley said, patting their brother on the shoulder this time. “Maybe the others are off hunting and the Pidgeotto left behind is there to protect the flock. It certainly did a great job of keeping us away.”

“So,” Amelia interrupted, walking over to her companions on the rock while her Vexling circled around them, disappearing into the grass and making the tips wave wildly in the air as it moved about. “Does your mom have a Pidgeot then?”

“You’re talking about the Pokémon she used to break up the fight, correct?” Riley queried, then continued after a silent nod from the girl. “Yes. She’s had that Pidgeot since she travelled as a young child. Caught it as a Pidgey even.”

“Do they change colors when they evolve?”

“No, she caught one with a different pigmentation. It doesn’t happen often, but sometimes, on very rare occasions, a Pokemon will have color variations. Mom has a Female with just such a disparity.”

“Rotom?” Amelia asked.

“That would be, Entry 23: Kanekan Pidgeot.” The RotomDex peeped, happily giving out the information on this previously met Pokemon with a joyful squeak in its mechanical voice. “The Leaf Sword Pokémon. This Pokemon is an incredibly fast flyer and they will use this to sneak up on prey from the sky. Because of their powerful wings, they are able to fly at very high altitudes. When attacking, they will tuck their wings in and drop down from the clouds at break neck speeds. The force of the impact is able to easily break through the rocky shell of their prey.

“After decades of evolution, due to their main source of prey being Arachnom and Lethocagus, they have gained an immunity to the powerful toxins that these specific Pokemon let off. This does not gain them strength over other poisons though. When in battles, they will pluck out a leafy tail feather and use it for attacking, the razor edge as sharp and strong as steel. Only the most skilled of the species can use two feathers at once.”

The three teenagers crowded around the Dex as it spoke, looking at the picture of the large bird owned by the Professor.

“See,” Felix said, pointing to the picture, if you swipe on the screen, here, it’ll show you what the color variation is.”

The youngest teen moved his finger across the face and revealed two more pictures of the Kanekan Pidgeot. One was marked as a Male, but it had a red back and green belly, while the female variant had a silver back and light gray underside, just like the one Professor Acacia had. The long, leafy head and tail feathers on these two were also a yellow and orange, rather than the standard green.

“Wow! That’s really cool!” Amelia pipped in. She swiped back to the previous evolutions, then looked over at the murmuration of Pidgey’s still swarming a ways off in the sky, staring hard to see if any varied. They were too far away and their pigments were blackened silhouettes due to the brightness of the sun. “Anyways, I think we’ve been sitting for too long. We should get back to the road.”

The other two agreed with a small grunt from Riley and a silent nod of the head from Felix. The trio carefully picked their way through the grass back onto the path and once again, began walking to the next town.
Sign up to rate and review this story