Categories > TV > Battlestar Galactica > Unhuman

Chapter 33: Bajor

by selenepotter 0 reviews

Captain’s log, Stardate 57594.3 - We are on our way to Bajor

Category: Battlestar Galactica - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover,Sci-fi - Characters: Starbuck - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2022-04-06 - Updated: 2022-04-06 - 1594 words - Complete

0Unrated
Unhuman

Chapter 33: Bajor

Captain’s log, Stardate 57594.3 - We are on our way to Bajor to investigate the connection between the Daemons and the aliens known in Bajoran religion as the Prophets. Since our Scouting Raiders have reported that the Bajorans have not developed an advance technological civilization, the Prime Directive applies and we shall have to limit our contact with the local population.

Deep space - USS Argos - Bridge (gamma shift)

“Commander, Lieutenant Raider 1 of 6 reports contact with an anomalous craft,” said Lieutenant Junii.

“What kind of anomalous craft?” asked Lieutenant Thrace.

“Lieutenant 1 0f 6 reports it has no power source and has some sort of light catching sails for propulsion,” replied Lieutenant Junii. “Should we alert the Captain?”

In the command chair was Lieutenant Commander Kim of Borg. He and Raider 1 of 6 were both Borg and thus shared a group mind. But he had let the bridge officers talk because individuals could not share information as efficiently as Borg. Lieutenant Junii’s question was rhetorical. It was tradition on the Gamma Shift not to wake the Captain unless there was an actual emergency and even though their Captain didn’t sleep, he still stayed off the Bridge during Gamma Shift, so that his officers would have an opportunity to learn.

“That will not be necessary,” replied Lieutenant Commander Kim. “Alter course to intercept this unknown vessel.”

“Aye sir,” replied Ensign Betsa, who was using a visor device to aid her in visual stimuli. Although having this extra sense called ‘sight’ made her uncomfortable. It was necessary in order for her to see the colours on the touch screen without looking through someone else’s eyes. “Course laid in.”

When they approached the odd ship, they pulled up along side of it and slowed to match its’ speed.

“Sensors show no sign of plasma, tylium, or electrical technology what so ever,” reported Ensign Tabi. “It is traveling at a speed of warp 2 If it continues on its’ current trajectory, it should find the Kobol system in 3 days. There are two life forms aboard, both Bajoran.”

Lieutenant Commander Kim turned to the technician who was monitoring warp field harmonization. Engin Sinik was a Talosian, which meant he had a skill that the Lieutenant Commander needed.

“Ensign Sinik, establish telepathic contact with the inhabitants of that ship,” ordered Lieutenant Commander Kim. “Inquire if they need assistance.”

“Aye sir,” replied the Talosian. “Yes, they do need assistance.”

“We shall send a landing party consisting or ourselves, Ensign Sinik, And The EMH Doctor. Lieutenant Thrace, you have the CON.”

Lieutenant Thrace went to sit in the Captain’s chair while Kim and Sinik left the Bridge.

When the transporter beam finished materializing them aboard the Bajoran ship the air was noticeably stale and there was no gravity The two Bajoran woman were floating in the air hyperventilating, which Ensign Sinik started to do also. Lieutenant Commander Kim, being Borg, was quickly able to adapt to the lower oxygen content of the ship’s atmosphere.

“Oh, for heaven’s sake!” exclaimed The Doctor, who tapped his com-badge. It was, like his body, holographic. But the movement made him look more natural to human eyes. “Argos, have transporter room 1 remove all the air from this ship, while transporter room 2 replaces it with breathable air 3 milliseconds later.”

“Aye sir, replied Lieutenant Nog.

Everyone’s breathing soon returned to normal.

“Are you sent by the Prophets” asked a Bajoran woman.

“We are not,” replied Lieutenant Commander Kim. “Our designations are: Lieutenant Commander Harry Kim of Borg, Lieutenant The Doctor, and Ensign Sinik.”

“Where do you come from? asked the other Bajoran woman.

“Heehoa you’re being rude!” admonished the first Bajoran woman. “They gave us their names. We should give ours. I’m Kira Zawa and this is my sister, Heehoa.”

“We find meeting you agreeable,” replied Kim. “To answer your female sibling’s question in complete fashion is a complex endeavor that would take a large amount of time. A more succinct answer is most recently, we came from the star to which you are journeying.”

“Why did you let the air get so foul?” asked The Doctor.

“We knew it would not be enough,” replied Kira Zawa. “We tried bringing extra air in bottles.”

“We used metal bottles so we could pump more into them,” added Kira Heehoa.

“But we didn’t bring enough of them,” admitted Kira Zawa. “Do you think you could refill our bottles?”

“I don’t see why not?” replied The Doctor.

“This may be a violation of the Prime Directive,” warned Kim.

“Nonsense!” countered The Doctor. “They are clearly in deep space and Ensign Sinik heard their distress call which we clearly answered. A few bottles of air won’t do any harm. We can just refill all their air bottles, and send them on their way.”



Bajor - Hathon town

The Landing Party consisted of Commander Worf, Doctor Salar, Lieutenant Solon, Lieutenant Gaius Baltar and Lieutenant Nog materialized in an alley as the transporter beam delivered them to the surface of the planet. They were a scouting mission to find out about the state of the planet. The people who knew the most about Bajor were obviously not Bajoran, so it had been decided not to attempt to disguise their appearance. When the stepped out of the alley, they were immediately seen.

“Oh! Hello!” said a Bajoran man. “I was told to expect you but I didn’t think you would be so inbajoran!”

“We are travelers from a distant province,” explained Worf.

“You are lying!” snarled the man, before looking to his side and calming down. “My Daemon says you come from the sky. She also says I should trust you and help you in what ever way I can.”

“Lieutenant Solon, if you will make her visible?” commanded Worf.

The Talosian reached into the Bajoran man’s mind to see what he was seeing, then projected an illusion of it into the minds of everyone else.

The Daemon took the form of a Bajoran woman who matched the Bajoran ideal of beauty, perfectly.

“Now that we can see you, perhaps you would like to speak with us directly,” said Worf.


Bajor Orbit - USS Argos - Meeting Room

After the Landing Party returned, they gave their report on their findings:

“The Bajorans appear to be living in a similar level to Earth’s Early Modern Era,” reported Worf. “They previously had achieved a unified world government, but that government has fallen due to religious conflict. There are two sides and neither one holds large swathes of territory. Instead, each village has driven out the members of the other sect. The two sides are the the worshipers of the Prophets, which seems somewhat similar to the Bajoran religion from our own universe, and the listeners of the Daemons who believe in individual revelation and are led by multiple people who are advised by Daemons. The Daemons have a similar relationship to the Prophets that the Pah Wraiths did in our universe. But there are many differences too. Although the advice of the Daemons would seem to give their followers an advantage, the followers of the Prophets have multiple ‘Orbs‘ which allow their vediks to perform various miracles.”

“In spite of the primitive level of their technology, a couple of them were able to build a sailing ship capable of interstellar travel,” reported Lieutenant Commander Harry Kim.

“How were they able to get the ship into space?” asked Councilor Đaimz

“They used multiple hot air balloons to lift the ship into the upper atmosphere,” reported Kim. “When the air became sufficiently thin, they were able to unfurl the sails and use them to catch subtle currents in subspace that were not previously thought to be of significance. These subspace currents allow the ship to travel interstellar distances, but only in particular directions.”

“A full map of subspace variations will be have to be made before we can determine where they are capable of going to,” observed Lieutenant Gran.

“We have a primitive culture armed with gunpowder weapons engaged in a genocidal religious war capable of interstellar flight and right now one of their ships is headed for Kobol, the Capital of the Federation!” grumbled Lieutenant Schist. “None of this would have happened if we hadn’t given them air.”

“I have already reprimanded all those involved in that decision for their violation of the Prime Directive,” replied Captain Data.

“But unlike Earth’s 30 Years War or English Civil War, the gods of the Bajorans interact with them on a daily basis,” observed Councilor Đaimz. “Perhaps we should negotiate a peace between the Bajoran gods.”

“That is an excellent idea, Councilor,” said Data. “It would be more efficient if we sent a small party on a shuttlecraft. Perhaps, myself, Councilor Đaimz and Lieutenant Solon.”

“No Security officer?” asked Worf.

“If the Bajoran Prophets mean us harm, I do not think physical force would deter them,” replied Data.

Captain’s log, Stardate 57597.4 - I have sent regular reports back to Starfleet Command of our mission to Bajor and the immanent arrival of the Bajoran ship. I am about to take a shuttlecraft into the Bajoran wormhole. I do not know if I will succeed in contacting the entities known by the Bajorans as the Prophets. If I do succeed in contacting them they may return us at a time other that the one it which we entered the wormhole. If I do not return, I have advised that Commander Worf be promoted to replace me.
Sign up to rate and review this story