Categories > TV > Battlestar Galactica > Unhuman

Chapter 47: Narn

by selenepotter 0 reviews

Captain’s log, Stardate 57747.7 - We are approaching a planet that in the Argos Universe was inhabited solely by Klingons.

Category: Battlestar Galactica - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover,Sci-fi - Characters: Starbuck - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2022-04-16 - 1455 words - Complete

0Unrated
Unhuman

Chapter 47: Narn

Captain’s log, Stardate 57747.7 - We are approaching a planet that in the Argos Universe was inhabited solely by Klingons. A Raider scout has indicated that this planet is inhabited by a life form. Though since this is before the Klingons were supposed to have developed space travel, so we have no idea who these beings might be.

Unknown planet orbit - USS Argos - Bridge

Captain Data was dressed in the new uniform. He had chosen to forgo the jacket. But he had the green captain’s shirt and the black pants and boots on over the old style uniform. Commander Worf wore the full uniform with the jacket buttoned all the way up and his Klingon sash over the uniform. Lieutenant Commander Harry Kim was dressed the same, though he had modified his uniform to accommodate his Borg implants. Lieutenant Solon wore the mini-dress variant of the new uniform, with the jacket over it but open. It felt more like traditional Talosian robes to her than the pants did. Though she did have the old uniform on under it. The Helmsman and Navigator: Lieutenants Pram and Gran, were both Andorian and had stuck to the old uniform, which was quite warm enough for them. And Lieutenant Schist, being a Horta was naked, as usual. Only her Universal Translator unit gave any indication of her rank and position as Chief of Security, by the markings on it.

Of the rest of the crew, the Humans, Vulcans and Tarquinians tended to wear the new uniforms with the jacket. Cylon female humans liked and wore the dresses, but the Borg that used to be Cylon did not. Kobolian humans did not like the dresses and wore the pants version. The Vulcans were the same. The Talosians did not see the dress as gender specific, and both genders wore it with an open jacket.

“There are many villages visible on the planet below, but sensors indicate no signs of industrial activity or advanced civilization,” reported the Chief Science Officer: Lieutenant Commander Harry Kim.

“Should we send a landing party to investigate?” asked Lieutenant Gran.

“Yes.” ordered Data. “Commander Worf you will lead a landing party consisting of yourself, Lieutenant Commander Kim, Doctor Salar and Lieutenant Schist.

“Aye sir,” replied Worf, as he stood and led the named officers off the Bridge. Doctor Salar would meet them in the transporter room.


Unknown planet

The transporter beam rematerialized the quartet in a dense jungle. Immediately on appearing, Lieutenant Commander Harry Kim activated the tricorder built into his cybernetic implants and started scanning.

“The Village would appear to be in this direction,” announced Kim.

“Then let’s head out,” Commanded Worf, as he lead the group through the jungle.

Lieutenant Schist soon found the jungle too difficult to move through without carving a large and obvious path. So she started burrowing under ground and coming up periodically to check on the group she was here to protect. It was during one of these times when she was above the surface when Kim announced:

“There are life forms approximately 5 meters about us.”

The landing Party all looked up and there in the trees above them were a group of five members of the indigenous life forms. They appeared to be orange, with brown spots and red eyes. They wore clothing made from strings of plant fibers that hung down in a skirt. They also had necklaces make from many strings hanging down to cover their chests. They all had baskets and appeared to have been caught in the middle of picking fruit from high up in the trees.

“We mean you no harm!” called out Worf.

“Who are you?” called back one of the natives.

“We are travelers from a distant land,” replied Worf. “We wish to meet your people.”

The native who had spoken, climbed down to about 3 meters above them before he halted.

“You are not here to harm us?” asked the native.

“No.” replied Worf. “We only wish peaceful contact with you. I am Worf. This is Kim and Salar.”

The native climbed down to the ground and hit both arms to his chest saying: “I am Z’gur and I welcome you in peace to our forrest.”

“Can we be allowed to visit your village?” asked Worf.

“Of course,” replied Z’gur “I will leave the rest of my gathering party to continue picking norgs.” (local fruit name)

Lieutenant Schist waited until the rest of them were gone before burrowing underground and following them beneath the ground. She could easily follow the feel of their footsteps and they walked about her.

The landing party followed Z’gur as he led them through the jungle to his village, which was suspended high in the trees. There were no steps or ladder to get there. Z’gur expected that like he, they would be able to climb up to the village. After a moment of hesitation, Worf began climbing up the tree. Kim altered his cybernetic arm so he had a hook instead of a hand and followed. Doctor Salar was next. The Security Officer, being a Horta, would not be able to climb up after them. When they reached the village, it was a series of lashed log platforms in the branches of trees They were positioned so that some were above others and could act as rooves. Some platforms also had walls made of lashed together logs others did not. The platform they were led to had no walls. There was a large log that had been hollowed out and was filled with some liquid. Z’gur took a wooden cup and scooped some of the liquid out.

“I offer you the hospitality of our village,” said Z’gur, as he offered the cup to Worf.

Worf took a sip before commenting to his comrades: “It’s very sweet and has a bit of alcohol in it.”

When the cup was offered to Salar and Kim, they each put the cup to their lips, but Salar did not drink, as she did not normally drink alcohol.

“Why do your people live up here instead of on the ground?” asked Worf.

“You people live on the ground?” asked Z’gur. “What do you do when the predators come?”

“We use our hunting tools to drive them off,” replied Worf, couch things in terms this stone age person could understand. He could tell that the people had not yet discovered metallurgy. Everything in the village was made of either stone or plant matter.

“Hunting?” asked Z’gur. “What is hunting?”

“You know, when you kill animals for food,” explained Worf.

Z’gur looked at them in horror.

“You are predators!” accused Z’gur. “I have brought predators into our village!”

“Commander, I believe these people are pure gatherers, not hunter/gatherers like most stone age cultures,” said Doctor Salar.

“Please do not eat us!” begged Z’gur.

“We do not eat intelligent beings.” explained Worf. “In fact, Doctor Salar is a vegetarian like you.”

“Is that what you call your people?” asked Z’gur. “We call ourselves Narns (the people) and you are no longer welcome amongst us, predators!”

“Very well, we shall leave,” replied Worf.

After they climbed down to the ground, Worf called up to them:

“We came in peace and we leave in peace. We mean you no harm. But if our mere presence disturbs you, we will depart.”

Once they were on the ground, they walked away from the village until the Narns could no longer be seen on their tricorders. Then, the beamed back up.


Captain’s log, Stardate 57748.8 - Our landing party has returned from the planet and made their report. Apparently the Narn people are pure gatherers and not hunter/gathers like most stone age cultures. The were a peaceful people that could one day grow into members of the Federation. There are no records of any indigenous peoples on this planet and Commander Worf speculates that the Narn were exterminated by the Klingons when they first established a colony here in the Argos Universe.


Fleet Admiral’s log, Stardate 57748.9 - ever since the the Medeusans joined the Federation, they have been attempting to use Federation diplomatic techniques to make peace with the Skrrr. But they have not responded. The Raiders continue to report subspace sailing ships departing from Bajor. I am sending the Atalanta to investigate the destination systems of those ships to find out what the Bajorans are doing once they get to those planets.


Note: I’m not the first author to suggest that the reason B5 and ST have different alien races is that they died out in one universe and survived in the other.
Sign up to rate and review this story