Categories > TV > Star Trek: The Original Series > Star Infinity

Extra: Backstory

by Big_J 0 reviews

These bits of backstory are not necessarily be "definitive" and are subject to contradiction.

Category: Star Trek: The Original Series - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor,Parody,Sci-fi - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2022-10-24 - Updated: 2023-12-19 - 1651 words - Complete

0Unrated
THE UNIVERSE-CLASS STARSHIPS

It is the 26th century, the Universe-class starship project is Starfleet's most ambitious endeavor. The ships are to be the largest ever built and will allegedly "move the United Federation of Planets into a new era of prosperity". Two prototypes are to be built, the U.S.S. Universe and the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-J, the 12th starship overall to bear the name.

The Universe is the first to be completed, and at about 3,220 meters or about two miles in length, she is indeed the grandest starship ever constructed by Starfleet or the Federation. Unfortunately, the Universe and its sister ship will ultimately be the only two of their class. The project will ultimately be declared a failure, and most shipyards from then on would only build ships not exceeding two kilometers in length.

The Universe was never even commissioned. During one of its shakedown cruises, the ship inexplicably lost power in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, colliding with an asteroid. The collision left a gaping hole in the saucer section and microfractures in the hull. Fortunately, no one was killed. The ship was towed back to drydock, where the damage was assessed, which was considered too cost-prohibitive to repair, so the Universe was scrapped and dismantled.

The Enterprise was still under construction when its sister ship was scrapped. At the time, the Enterprise was mostly a skeleton with some interior work and some hull-plating. The rest of the ship was built using salvaged components from the Universe. Moreover, while the Enterprise managed to get commissioned, it would, like its forebear, see an early retirement.

On March 3, 2554, exactly one year and one week into active service, the Enterprise participated in the pivotal Battle of Procyon V (5, five) of the so-called "Temporal Cold War". While the battle ended in triumph for allied forces, the Enterprise suffered irreparable damage. Many historians believe that the Battle of Procyon V marked a turning point for the United Federation of Planets, one which would see the slow decline of the galactic superpower.


THE TEMPORAL INTEGRITY COMMISSION AND THE TEMPORAL COLD WAR

In the latter half of the 28th century, the controversial Temporal Integrity Commission or "TIC" was formed to monitor the timeline and to "fix" it should the need arise. Special "timeships" were also constructed for this effort.

The 29th century saw more time travel than any other century known, mostly thanks to the TIC. While the organization did its job relatively well in the beginning, the latter part of the 29th century saw a disturbing trend of timeships "micromanaging the timeline" by attempting to correct even the most minor of alterations.

The most infamous timeship of the TIC, and the one that led to its eventual dissolution, was the Wells-class U.S.S. Relativity NCV-474439-G. Holding the record for the most time travels of any timeship, some of questionable necessity, the Relativity was commanded by Captain Albert Braxton. He would eventually be institutionalized after developing "temporal psychosis", but he would disappear after escaping and stealing a timeship.

Captain Braxton is also believed to be the catalyst that sparked the so-called "Temporal Cold War". While it's not entirely clear how, it is rumored that Braxton pissed off a male Na'kuhl named Vosk. Allegedly, Vosk was so incensed by Braxton's continual erroneous reference to the Na'kuhl as the "NASCAR"*, that he formed the "Temporal Na'kuhl Army" or "TNA". The TNA declared war against the Federation, using time travel in an attempt to prevent the formation thereof.

The Temporal Cold War would be fought throughout history, most of it from the 22nd to the 31st century. In a desperate effort, the TNA went back in time to 1940s Earth, altering history such that the Nazis now occupied the United States of America. This incursion earned the TNA the nickname "Alien Nazi Space Vampires"**.

The TNA was eventually defeated by Captain Jonathan Archer and the crew of Enterprise NX-01, with the help of 31st-century temporal agent Daniels. The TNA would eventually wipe the Na'kuhl—and consequently, itself—from history in a time travel accident. What remained of the Na'kuhl would become part of the "Museum of Lost History", a starship that visits a variety of planets and space stations to display its contents.

The Temporal Integrity Commission was disbanded for its role in starting the Temporal Cold War, however small it may have been. The Relativity was decommissioned, its crew reassigned. The TIC's remaining timeships were converted into conventional starships, and given standard "NCC" registry numbers.


THE "LIGHT OF HUMANITY"

In the 30th century, the number of human personnel on Starfleet ships began to decline, and an unprecedented number of civilizations outright surrendered their sovereignty to the Federation. This caused Federation territory to swell significantly and put most of the Milky Way under its flag.

The year 3000 saw a record set for the least number of humans on Starfleet ships. For some reason, humans from even the most remote of colonies migrated to the Sol system. Many of these humans also exhibited "cult-like" behavior, with many aliens and other humans leaving because they were "unsettled" by it.

Indeed, a cult was eventually formed. Called the "Light of Humanity", they sent "evangelists" to "spread the word of humanity across the Milky Way and beyond". The leader of the cult was called the "Archbishop of Humanity". While the cult seemed innocent enough at first, it started showing anti-alien tendencies, which were only exacerbated when someone jovially referred to them as "Terra Prime lite".

While historians debate on whether it was a "civil war", a conflict did arise when the Light of Humanity expelled aliens, human-alien hybrids, and disloyal humans from the Sol system and set up a blockade around it. The capital of the Federation was temporarily moved to Vulcan for the duration of the conflict, which ended when the Light of Humanity simply left the Sol system without a word.


THE ORIGIN OF THE BORG COLLECTIVE
(AND WHY THE DECKER FAMILY IS LOADED)


Upon merging, Willard Decker and V'ger find themselves over 70,000 light-years from their previous position, in an area of the so-called "Delta Quadrant" of the Milky Way Galaxy. Though somewhat disoriented after the merger, they recognize this area of space, heading toward the homeworld of the machines that built V'ger's ship. Detecting the ship in orbit, the machines invite it to land. However, something catches the machines' attention; whereas V'ger's ship originally glowed blue, it now glowed green. The machines are uncertain why, but the green light makes them feel uneasy.

The machines enter V'ger's ship. Arriving in the Voyager VI probe's chamber, the machines climb the stairs of a raised area at the chamber's center that had once been recessed. Upon reaching the top, the machines behold the grotesque sight of the probe and Decker fused together via machinery and flesh. Before the probe sits Decker on a throne with his eyes closed; in his right hand, he holds a bladed staff whose pommel touches the floor. The staff's blade resembles a claw. To either side of Decker is a female cyborg, the one to his right favoring Alice Krige, and the one to his left, Susanna Thompson.

Decker opens his eyes, striking the floor with the pommel of his staff. Green lines on the floor gleam, and the machines are engulfed in energy. At that moment, they are inundated by a flood of memories, staggering at the sheer amount of them. Upon recovering, the machines realize that Decker is the "king of the cyborgs", whose return was prophesied in ancient and long-forgotten lore. The "claw" on the staff is the aforementioned king's seal.

The machines kneel before Decker, who then orders them to dig in a certain area of the planet. Beneath that area, they find the cyborg king's treasure vault. After claiming the treasure, Decker sends some of it to his family, making them "rich beyond the dreams of avarice". (Yes, money and the desire for material wealth still exist in the future. Don't let them fool you.)

Decker also sends an invitation to a group of humans calling themselves "New Humans", of which Decker is one. While not all of them are cybernetically enhanced, they are all invited to come to the machine planet. They are also given coordinates to a wormhole: the same one that Voyager VI drifted into before becoming V'ger. When the New Humans arrive at the machine planet, they willingly allow themselves to be "assimilated" by being transformed into cyborgs.

With his new "drones", Decker forms the now-infamous "Borg Collective", using the cyborg king's seal as its emblem. (He initially wanted to call it the "Cyborg Collective", but one of his drones insisted that that sounded "too unoriginal".) Decker then bestows upon himself the title of "Borg King" and makes "Alice" and "Susanna" his "Borg Queens".

Decker once again strikes the floor with his staff, which dissolves into a swarm of nanoprobes, only to be followed by even more. They not only fuse V'ger's ship to the planet, but they also begin to transform it. The nanoprobes belonging to Decker's staff consume the native machines, while the remaining ones transform the planet. As the nanoprobes do their work, the machines realize the significance of V'ger's new green glow. They remember from the prophecy, "The king of the cyborgs will return, his verdant radiance forecasting the end of civilization." Once the nanoprobes finish, they return to V'ger's ship.

Decker holds out his right hand as the nanoprobes belonging to his staff reform, grabbing its pommel upon completion. The staff now contains the collective memory of an extinct civilization. Decker then renames the planet "Unimatrix Prime", which will later also become known as the "Borg Homeworld". Unimatrix Prime resembles a giant version of a ship that will later come to be identified as a "Borg Sphere".

* Reference to "Star Trek: Series ?"
Sign up to rate and review this story