Categories > TV > Star Trek: The Original Series > Star Infinity

Extra: Alternate Sonic the Hedgehog Hologram Backstory

by Big_J 0 reviews

What the title says.

Category: Star Trek: The Original Series - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor,Parody,Sci-fi - Warnings: [X] [?] - Published: 2022-11-13 - Updated: 2023-09-14 - 1823 words

0Unrated
A massive, perfectly spherical space station exactly 1,000 kilometers in both equatorial and polar diameter orbits Earth. This is New Earth Spacedock, also known as NES, with the registry number NES001. It resembles a scaled up "Death Star", a space station from Star Wars, only without the superlaser dish.

Like the Death Star, New Earth Spacedock has an equatorial indentation or "trench" wrapping around the sphere. However, it also has two polar trenches, which intersect with the equatorial one. This makes each side resemble the astronomical symbol of Earth. The trenches separate the sphere into eight octants, and they hold the spacedoors for larger vessels and various docking bays for smaller vessels. The trenches are ten kilometers in width and half that in depth.

New Earth Spacedock was built with the help of a sentient hologram of Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik from the video game series Sonic the Hedgehog. While the Robotnik hologram wanted to name the station the "Death Egg", put his likeness on it, and arm it to the teeth, those ideas were vetoed, much to the hologram's chagrin.

The Robotnik hologram is also from the far future and is the leader of a group of other sentient holograms of Sonic the Hedgehog characters. They live on Angel Island, a floating island kept in the air via anti-gravity devices or "anti-gravs".


In late 3161, early 3162, a group of humanoid isolationists started the "New Hedonist" movement (which eventually died out, as it was realized that "New Hedonism" wasn't much different from "regular" hedonism). The "New Hedonists" wanted to isolate themselves from the rest of Earth and Suprederation society. They found an uninhabited island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and had anti-gravs installed on it, so it would float in the air. They did this not only to further isolate themselves but also because they wanted to "make free love in the sky". They named their new home Angel Island after the floating island of the same name that debuted in Sonic the Hedgehog 3.

On February 3, 3162, the New Hedonists had an orgy in front of a stone pedestal with a hollow stone circle standing atop it. They did this because the structure sexually aroused them. However, during the orgy, a group of holograms led by a hologram of Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik emerged from a portal that appeared within the circular structure. Wearing mobile emitters and brandishing energy weapons, the holograms chased off the New Hedonists by firing them toward the sky.

"Avast this hedonistic display, and get off our lawn!" the Robotnik hologram had demanded.

Claiming Angel Island for themselves, the Robotnik hologram contacted Ronald Hump, who was the Suprederation governor of Earth at the time (whose campaign slogan was "Make Earth Great Again" or "MEGA"). Robotnik requested a diplomatic envoy to discuss terms. Later, the Vulcan envoy, accompanied by security personnel, beamed to Angel Island, and the Robotnik hologram told the envoy their story.


In the far future, Robotnik and the other holograms were created by a descendant of holographer Dr. Herman Zimmerman. The descendant was Dr. Chris Thorndyke, and he was a big fan of ancient video games, especially the Sonic the Hedgehog series. The holograms created were of:

Sonic the Hedgehog: a blue, anthropomorphic male hedgehog capable of (allegedly) running at supersonic speeds, who debuted in the original Sonic the Hedgehog in 1991.

Miles "Tails" Prower: an orange anthropomorphic male fox with two tails, which can be used for flight. He debuted in 1992's Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

Amy Rose: a pink, anthropomorphic female hedgehog who wields a large hammer (the "Piko Piko Hammer") that she can inexplicably pull out of thin air. She debuted in the 1993 video game Sonic the Hedgehog CD.

Knuckles the Echidna: a red, anthropomorphic male echidna with great strength, who debuted on "Hedgehog Day", February 2, 1994 in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and is capable of gliding and climbing walls.

Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik: a human male; he is also a megalomaniacal scientist, roboticist, and engineer with an intelligence quotient of 300 and is Sonic's mutual arch-nemesis, who debuted alongside Sonic in the original Sonic the Hedgehog.


Thorndyke tweaked some of the personality traits of the characters. He made Robotnik the leader of the group but omitted his megalomania and hatred for Sonic (but not his ego nor his intelligence). He also made it so that Sonic, Tails, Amy, and Knuckles held no animosity toward Robotnik. The mobile emitters used to project the holograms were scratch-built and were prone to bugs. Thorndyke ironed these out as best he could before he died.

The Sonic hologram was originally capable of running as fast as his video game counterpart purportedly could. However, his projection would begin to degrade the faster he ran because his mobile emitter was barely able to cope with the air friction and had difficulty projecting him properly at high speeds, which caused his image to flicker. When Sonic broke the sound barrier in a speed test, his emitter nearly short-circuited, which was why Thorndyke re-programmed the emitter to deactivate Sonic if he reached too high a speed.

The Tails hologram was originally meant to be capable of flight, but his emitter had difficulty rendering his tails spinning, and so he was unable to create lift.

The Amy hologram's "Piko Piko Hammer" is actually "part" of her. The hammer is only projected when she calls for it, and the hammer disappears if a certain distance away from her. However, the emitter is programmed to only allow one "instance" of the hammer at a time, so she is unable to project two hammers simultaneously.

The Knuckles hologram's great strength is simulated by strengthening the projection forcefield in the area of his arms. While he is able to smash big rocks and climb up walls, he is unable to glide like his video game counterpart.


Shortly after the holograms' creation, a massive temporal explosion devastated the galaxy, leaving Earth and many other worlds barely habitable and with few survivors. The explosion was caused by an insane rogue Starfleet officer from the 29th century. Most of Earth's surface was molten, and one of the few safe havens left on Earth was Angel Island. The anti-gravs were adjusted to raise the island higher above the clouds.

Thorndyke had lived on Angel Island for most of his life, but despite raising Angel Island higher above the ground, he and the remaining residents of the island succumbed to sickness induced by breathing in the polluted air. As he died, he activated the holograms, telling them to find the "Artifact".

The "Artifact", of course, was the very structure that Robotnik and his fellow holograms would emerge from in the past amidst the New Hedonists' orgy. Since then, the Artifact had been quarantined and a security compound was built around it. The compound's security system recognized Robotnik, much to his surprise.

When activating the Artifact, a time portal, the holograms flinched at the sight of the New Hedonists' "hedonistic display" being shown through it. The holograms gathered some energy weapons to chase them off when they got to the other side. The holograms then entered the time portal.

As the portal in the past activated, the New Hedonists paused to look at the structure, watching as Robotnik, Sonic, Tails, Amy, and Knuckles emerged.

Discharging their weapons into the air, Robotnik yelled, "Avast this hedonistic display, and get off our lawn!" Thorndyke had programmed some territorialism into them.


Finishing the story, Robotnik said, "And now we're here! This is our home, and we will not be sharing it with a bunch of hedonists! Anyone else is fine, just not them!"

"Very well," the envoy began. "Before we beamed here, I conferred with Ronald Hump, the Suprederation governor of Earth. He will allow your programs to remain running under some conditions."

"And those are?" Sonic asked.

"Earth Spacedock is in desperate need of replacing. It has been active for nearly a millennium. The governor wants a replacement. This 'Artifact' is also to be quarantined, and he wants to have a compound built around it. The governor wants you, Doctor Robotnik, to help us build them."

"And if I refuse?" Robotnik asked.

"Then not only will you be deactivated and your emitters destroyed, you will be altering the timestream. As you said, the compound exists in your time and its security system recognized you. Therefore, it is logical to assume that you will agree to these terms and help construct it."

"All right," Robotnik approached the envoy, shaking their hand, "You have a deal."

"What of the hedonists?" Knuckles inquired.

"They have decided to live on Sol Five, Jupiter, instead," the envoy answered.

"How do you live 'on' Jupiter?" Tails asked.

"Yeah, it's a gas giant. There is no solid surface," Amy added.

"Shall I incapacitate them for their excessive literalism?" one of the security personnel asked the envoy.


It took nearly a century to build New Earth Spacedock. Construction began on January 23, 3163. For some reason, it was decided to build it on a lake on Angel Island. The station was completed on May 21, 3255, 92 years, 3 months, and 4 weeks after construction began. The sheer mass of the completed station prompted the installation of more anti-gravs to keep the island afloat.

New Earth Spacedock was for some unexplained reason launched into space via massive rockets whose explosive force nearly split the island in two and whose shockwave caused massive local ecological devastation, incinerating the island's vegetation and local wildlife. The launch complex and the compound surrounding the Artifact, however, remained relatively unscathed.

Once New Earth Spacedock was in orbit, one of its first tests involved its weapons, whose target would be its predecessor. While not as armed as Robotnik had wanted, the new station's weapons were still formidable. At the firing controls were the holograms, and it could be said that they took way too much pleasure in scuttling the old Earth Spacedock, especially Robotnik.


Later, TERRA, the "Terran Ecological Recovery and Restoration Alliance", a civilian organization, seeing the value of Angel Island as a tourist destination and a place of residence, initiated "Project Angel Island". The purpose of the project was to restore the ecology of the island and structurally augment it to prevent it from breaking apart. During Angel Island's restoration, the holograms took residence on New Earth Spacedock.

The first stage of the restoration saw Angel Island being lowered back into the ocean and its anti-gravs uninstalled. Engineers then augmented the island with various metal emplacements that would keep the island structurally stable. The metal emplacements also included new anti-gravs.

Stage two saw a clean-up of the ashen, charred landscape and the disassembly of New Earth Spacedock's launch complex. The polluted water was purified and new flora and fauna with monitoring technology were seeded throughout the island.

Stage three saw the new anti-gravs being activated, and the island was returned to the sky. Angel Island's habitability was then confirmed after TERRA felt sure that the new ecology had stabilized.
Sign up to rate and review this story