Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Roses of the Valley

Chapter Twenty-Two: Dual

by Giroro5X 0 reviews

The battle rages, the Demon and Seung standing against the sadistic Kazuki and enraged Iwao as the others continue their stand against the swarms of mercenaries. The citizens of Bai-Jing wait f...

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Other - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-09-30 - Updated: 2006-10-01 - 4891 words

0Unrated



Roses of the Valley

Chapter Twenty-Two: Dual



Jiao's mother sat fearfully in the shop, clutching her daughter protectively. The soldiers had guided them there, insisting that they remain until the situation became safe.

Sun sat near her, her calm expression doing well to conceal her worry. She braided Qiu's hair carefully, the mechanism always succeeding in distracting her from any turmoil, whether it lie outside the body or within the heart.

Her daughter stared towards the door, her heart pounding as she feared the worst.

"Calm down, all of you." Min muttered as she began pouring cups of tea. Age had honed her eyes, allowing her to understand that which their subtle movements conveyed. She placed a cup near Jiao's mother, looking towards the doorway.

The young girl stared up at the old woman, hoping for some form of reassurance.

"They won't lose." The explanation was simple, Min taking a cup of tea with her as she stepped towards the door.

Jiao smiled, remembering how strong the Demon was. How he always trained and worked hard. He couldn't lose.

The old woman faced towards the door, her eyes intense as she fended off doubt.



Jung rushed forward, his arm swinging out to intercept the incoming firebender.

Kazuki ducked beneath the attack, flipping as he released a wave of flame towards the Demon. There was no drop in his speed as he touched upon the ground again, resuming his advance upon the general.

Seung lifted his arm, his fist before his face as a stone wall shot up behind the assassin. The flames washed over it harmlessly, dispersing.

Iwao howled as he neared his target, grasping the end of the handle as he waved the mighty hammer.

Stepping in, the Demon lowered his upper body slightly to the right as his arms extended. His left hand grasped the warrior's shoulder, his right hooking under his pelvis. In one powerful motion he twisted his body, launching Iwao into the stone wall the general had raised.

The graceful assassin whipped his arms out rapidly, streaks of flame leaving scorch marks on the walls as the earthbender evaded each strike.

Seung dodged another burst of flame as he stomped his foot against the ground, his body leaning forward as he raised his arms. A wave of earth lurched forward, rushing down the stone hall.

The firebender jumped to a wall, kicking off of it towards the other. Balancing carefully on top, he smirked at his target.

Iwao growled as he rose up, falling as the wave of earth swept his feet out from under him.

Taking advantage of the opportunity, the Demon leapt towards the falling opponent. His fist struck firmly between the enemy's eyes, the warrior's head slamming into the ground below.

Jung took to his feet, focusing on the leader of the invasion. He felt a tremendous force hit into him from the side, his body tearing through the earth wall beside him.

Iwao grinned, his face bleeding as he took his target off guard. Laughing, he hurried to further the Demon's punishment.

"Ah, that looks fun..." Kazuki observed as he glanced towards the scene, disappearing from view as he dropped to the opposite side of the wall.

Seung breathed in, motioning his arms and legs carefully as he dismissed the stone hallway. His eyes went wide as he caught sight of the assassin, standing nearby in a firebending stance.

"Fooled you," Kano's pupil grinned as he unleashed a deadly stream of flame.

Iwao lashed the hammer out horizontally, howling as he prepared to return the punishment the Demon had subjected him to. His hands faltered slightly as his target kicked back, his foot hitting squarely against the handle to disrupt the flow of the attack.

Jung turned quickly, his fist rocking against his opponent's jaw. His arms moved with power and speed as he kicked forward, each step delivering another strike.

Growling, the warrior lashed his hammer up, grinning as it hit the Demon's jaw, knocking him back. He stepped in, launching a second attack.

He gave no opportunity for such, his forearm shield thrusting firmly against the assassin's hammer.

The two remained in the position, their muscles tense as each tried to overpower the other.

Seung moved back quickly, thin sheets of earth shooting up to protect him as Kazuki continued his assault.

The firebender leapt up, balancing on one of the sheets before launching forward into a spin. His foot passed quickly near the general, fire reaching to grip anything nearby.

He stepped in, ignoring the flames as they licked at the upper part of his robe. His arm reached out over the airborne assassin's chest, his body spinning as he threw him in the direction of the two warriors.

"Demon!" he screamed out, estimating his fight with Kazuki to result in a stalemate. "Switch!"

Jung turned his body to the right, his shield rising to intercept the incoming hammer as his left fist knocked into Iwao's jaw. The technique was not meant to defeat, but rather to cause momentary distraction. He brought his left arm in, thrusting it out into the warrior's chest.

Iwao slid back, growling as he prepared to make another advance upon the Demon. He was given no opportunity for such, the earth spinning beneath him, bringing him to face the glaring general.

Kazuki rolled along the ground, sliding as he studied the scenario. His eyes grew wide as he realized the presence of something behind him, leaping forward to dodge an incoming fist.

The Demon withdrew his fist from the ground, dust trailing off of it as the eyes of the mask locked onto the assassin.

The firebender grinned, finding the development interesting.

Howling, Iwao rushed towards the earthbender.



Chin-Hwa's eyes widened slightly as he recognized the sound.

Wen Lan squinted slightly, attempting to understand it.

Li Mei and Xiu looked in its direction, uncertain of its source.

At the entrance to the old noble's estate, Gang grinned. He had heard it many times before.

Jiao's mother clutched her child in worry, Sun pulling slightly at Qiu's hair as it startled her.

"Ow," her daughter protested the sudden tug as she looked towards the old woman. "Grandmother...What is that sound...?"

She smiled, setting the tea down as she stepped out of the shop. Looking skyward, she admired its echo.

"The victory cheer," she explained softly.



The guards howled loudly, each suspecting that had Gang witnessed the fight, he would have no choice but to compliment them.

The soldiers moved quickly, securing any prisoners they could from the defeated mobs.

Enlai raised his fist, cheering loudly as he nearly lost his balance atop the rhino.

Feng smiled from beneath the cloth concealing his mouth, the battle having exhausted him.



Yakone smirked, folding his arms as the soldiers cheered loudly.

Shui reclaimed his axe, smiling as he looked towards the village safely in the distance.

Bo stood quietly amidst the battlefield, closing his eyes as he hoped silently for the safe passage of those who had fallen. Looking to the sky above, he smiled softly.



The general's feet remained firm in their stance as his arms moved quickly from one position to another. Sections of earth shot up towards his opponent in rapid succession.

Iwao's hammer smashed down upon each, yelling loudly as he maintained the powerful motions. Neither side had given ground.

The firebender smirked, darting past the Demon gracefully. Spinning, he delivered a widespread burst of fire.

Jung waved his arm out, fire clinging to the shield as they brushed against one another. His alternate hand shot towards Kazuki's face.

The assassin's eyes went wide, evading the advance barely. He kicked back, taking a moment to collect himself. There was something in the Demon's movements that had taken him off guard. He was given no time to analyze, his opponent already closing in on him.

His arms moved quickly, the intensity of his advance pushing the firebender to a steady retreat.

Kazuki's eyes narrowed as he realized the situation. In fighting the general for such an extended period of time, he had grown accustomed to his style. Where Seung was more calculating and attempted to maintain some level of distance, the Demon was more inclined to close any gap and overwhelm.

It was not a matter of the Demon being superior. He grinned as he reassured himself, fire trailing his foot as he kicked it towards his attacker's throat.

Jung's hand moved quickly, tightly grasping the firebender's ankle.

The assassin's eyes grew wide once again.

He turned his body quickly, spinning Kazuki full circle twice before launching him towards a nearby shop.

The firebender crashed into it, the side of the shop caving slightly at the impact. Pain gripped his shoulder as he drew to his feet, glaring hatefully towards the approaching Demon.

Iwao's rage grew as the battle remained a draw. He rushed forward, howling as he ignored a pillar of earth knocking into his arm.

The earthbender clenched his teeth, the situation catching him off guard. He pressed his foot to the ground, his arm tightening as he raised his palm firmly.

The warrior picked up speed at the motion, the pillar rising just behind him. He grinned as he drew closer, lifting his hammer to strike.

Seung stepped back, his body taking a precise position as to stone walls rose up just before him.

The hammer ripped through the walls, hunks of earth flying out over the village square as he glared. The space behind the walls was empty.

The general burst out of the ground from behind Iwao, landing in another stance as he motioned his arm in a powerful strike. Columns of stone tore up from the earth below, advancing rapidly towards his opponent.

The warrior lashed his hammer out against the attack, growling at the stubborn target. He rushed alongside the columns, his grip over his weapon tightening as he drew closer. One of the pillars slid out, slamming into his side. Scrambling to his feet, he glared angrily at the earthbender.

He pressed his foot against the ground, a boulder rising up before him. His stance widened as he pressed his fist against it, launching it towards the determined assassin.

Iwao kept his ground, the hammer lashing out and deflecting the approaching stone. The weapon maintained its rhythm, its constant motion knocking each attack off course.

Kazuki darted from side to side, evading each of the Demon's attacks. His eyes narrowed as he thrust his palm towards his opponent's side, the heat increasing as he prepared to firebend.

Jung tightened his fist, swinging his arm up towards the assassin's face.

His firebending disrupted, he kicked back in attempt to dodge the attack. The shield brushed over the front of his robes, barely missing as he landed on his back. He clenched his teeth.

Kazuki fought desperately to determine the reason for the Demon's apparent advantage. The warrior was a savage, a brutish offspring of the wild mountains. One that Kano had proved vulnerable, one that bled before him now. He was a respected firebender, the first and only pupil of the notorious admiral Kano. The scenario before him was impossible to fathom.

He glared with rage as he attempted to decipher it. Rising to his feet, he launched forward. His hands whipped out desperately as he unleashed a series of fire bursts.

The Demon met each head on, his shields lashing out quickly to intercept the incoming flames. Rushing forward, he planted his fist firmly against Kazuki's stomach.

The firebender reeled back, landing firmly against the ground. He gasped for air, the blow having knocked the wind out of him. Sitting up, he smirked slightly as he had an idea.

"Iwao!" he screamed out. "Boulder!"

The warrior narrowed his eyes, aiming carefully as he slammed the head of the hammer into an incoming hunk of earth. He grinned as he watched it sail towards the Demon's back.

"Demon!" Seung yelled as he smashed his foot against the ground, a fast disturbance tearing across the earth towards the fight.

Jung turned quickly, his legs spreading as he took a strong stance. He caught the boulder as it landed against him, nearly taking him off his feet.

The assassin grinned wildly at the opportunity; his arm whipping out as a streak of fire tore over the Demon's back, burning over one of his scars. He dove back as a thin pillar of earth stabbed towards him.

He fell to his knees in pain, dropping the boulder as he attempted to regain himself.

Iwao laughed, his hammer hitting into the side of one of the scattered hunks of rock, launching it towards the Demon.

Jung turned slowly to face Kazuki, the eyes beneath the mask glaring.

The general's eyes grew wide as he readied his stance, suspecting he was too late.

The firebender smirked.



"And you're certain it's safe now?" Sun eyed her mother suspiciously as they walked.

"Of course! You heard them cheering. We won!" The old pain grinned as they approached the square, wanting to make sure the village had not sustained damage in the invasion.

"Did the Demon scare them all away?" Jiao looked up towards Min excitedly.

"Yup, told them all to leave, so they ran away crying!" she winked.

Jiao's mother laughed, holding the little girl's hand.

"Why is there a crowd...?" Sun's eyes narrowed slightly as she studied the huddled figures before her at the edge of the village square.

"What's all this about?" Min raised an eyebrow. She forced her way through the mob, peering out towards what the fuss had been about.

The villagers remained in the safety of the alleys, the square a raging battle.

Sun brought a hand to her mouth, her eyes wide with horror.

"Cover that girl's eyes," Min commanded, shaking as she observed the scene.

Jiao's mother motioned her hand obediently, her daughter protesting loudly.

The citizens of Bai-Jing stared in horror as the boulder slammed hard into the wounded Demon's face.



Iwao laughed, his celebration interrupted as a column of earth shot out of the ground into his side, launching him through the closed doors of a nearby shop.

"You see," Kazuki stood over the body, approaching it slowly. He smiled pleasantly at the sight of blood coursing down from the Demon's face, over his throat. "I enact the will of dear teacher Kano...Any order he issues, I will carry out.

Seung yelled out, his stance tight as he punched forward, a section of earth sliding towards the assassin.

The firebender sidestepped it carelessly, his victory having filled him with a new confidence. He laughed heartily as he made his graceful approach.

The general continued launching the attacks, furious at his own failure. Furious that some aspect of his earthbending had been used against an ally.

"I heard the Demon was powerful," he started as he evaded another attack. "I heard the Demon could not be killed."

Seung continued his assault, his anger pushing his moves to become more erratic.

"The Demon of War," he smirked. "The Demon who protects the Kun valley."

The earthbender slowed his attacks, his eyes going wide.

Kazuki grinned wildly, savoring the expression of horror.

"I killed your demon."

"My name..."

The firebender's eyes grew wide. He turned quickly, lifting his hands to intercept the attacker.

"Is Jung!" He screamed it loudly, his fist slamming hard into the assassin's face.

He stumbled along the ground, the force of the blow having fractured his jaw. He fought hard to regain his senses, barely able to make out the image of the Demon as he closed in for another strike.

"Enemy to those who breathe war!" His fist shot up into the assassin's throat, forcing him into the air for a moment.

"Protector of peace!" He brought his fists together, slamming them over the firebender's head.

He fell back slightly, growing dizzy from the intensity of the attacks.

Seung positioned himself carefully, lifting his hands as a thick slab of rock shot up behind Kazuki.

He froze, feeling the hard surface behind him. Blood sputtered from his mouth as he pleaded indecipherably for mercy.

Jung brought his arm forward for a final attack, his fist slamming against the enemy's chest as he drove him through the stone wall.

The firebender was unconscious before he hit the ground, bits of earth raining down over his body.

The warrior stood over him, the lower half of the mask's mouth shattered completely. The rest of the mask stood firm, cracks lining it from the strong impact of the boulder. One of his scars had opened up beneath the mask, blood trailing the visible section of his face and dripping softly down his throat.

"Guardian of the valley," he glared down at the assassin, his fists still tight.

Iwao's hammer tore through the front of the shop, the warrior searching quickly for his enemies.

The earthbender turned quickly, his muscles straining as he aimed the technique carefully.

A stone pillar shot out of the ground, launching into the assassin's spine. Lurching forward, a second pillar rose to send him skyward.

"Jung!" he yelled as he turned, his arms moving quickly.

The warrior kicked forward, his legs lifting slightly as a chunk of earth tore out of the ground, launching him towards the airborne Iwao.

The vicious warrior's eyes grew wide; staring at the cracked mask flew closer. He opened his mouth to scream, stifled by two fists slamming hard into his face.

Jung brought the assassin to the ground firmly, dust rising around them as they landed. Standing slowly, he looked out over the battlefield.

The Earth Kingdom general moved quickly, the earth enveloping Kazuki and Iwao, leaving only their heads to touch the air. They had proven dangerous enough to merit no other treatment.

He breathed out a sigh of relief, smiling as he reassured himself that the enemy had been dealt with.

The conflict having passed, the villagers let loose a thunderous cheer, rushing excitedly towards their heroes.

The two stared as the villagers surrounded them, thanking and complimenting excitedly.

"Is the Demon okay?" Jiao tugged at her mother's robe, unable to see over the crowd.

"He's fine, dearest," she cried happily as she lifted her daughter, relieved that the crisis had passed.

"Idiot," Min grumbled as she stood on the outskirts of the crowd, her arms folded.

"Hmm?" Sun glanced towards her mother, standing to her side.

"Going and getting himself hurt! How's he supposed to get ingredients if he's busy healing?!" She complained loudly.

She smiled softly, looking towards their protector and hero. Quietly, she observed the true nature of Min's protest.

"You're just glad he's alright."

"...Hmph," the old pain grunted, walking away.

"Where are you going?"

"If they're that wounded, they're gonna need good tea," she stared forward, her pace calm.

"I will help you," her daughter smiled softly as she took a step in the direction of the shop.

"I said good tea!" Min snapped back at her before resuming her walk.

Sun narrowed her eyes, thinking silent venomous thoughts as she turned back towards the celebration.

Seung looked out over the crowd as the citizen's gave their words of thanks, spotting Jung. He smiled, bowing deeply to silently convey his sincere gratitude for his aid in protecting the village.

The warrior bowed with equal depth, grateful to the general for the same.

The stone wall Seung had brought up to protect the village lowered slowly, the guards and soldiers entering proudly. The Gouishi riders entered behind them atop their rhinos, prisoners tied to their tails.

Xiu remained near her lady as they approached the market square, Wen Lan insisting that she would be fine without support.

She maintained an expression of calm, concealing any hint of the stinging pain the wound delivered. Her pace remained steady, slightly slower than usual. Li Mei had treated and bandaged the cut remarkably.

The young girl smiled as she remained at Wen Lan's side, the distant presence of her traveling companions preventing any notion of worry or fear. She soaked in the warmth of her journey's end, bathing in the relief at her friend's safety.

Chin-Hwa smiled as he witnessed the village square, bustling with life as they celebrated their victory over the invaders.

At the center of the commotion stood the general and the warrior, each bowing and thanking those who paid compliment and gratitude.

Wen Lan stopped as she caught sight of him, smiling softly. Her eyes grew warm as tears came to her, overwhelmed in the relief she felt for Jung's safety.

"Ah, why is big sister Wen crying...?" Li Mei whispered to Xiu worriedly.

"She's just glad her boyfriend's alright," the young servant grinned as she teased.

"You have a boyfriend?!" the girl's eyes lit up, the information inspiring countless questions.

"Xiu!" the noble blushed.

She laughed, resting her hands on her hips as she stood. Her smile dropped as she noticed the general standing near the Demon, his robe partially torn and burned.

Seung caught sight of her, admiring her beauty as she wore the festival robes. Blushing faintly, he bowed his head slightly.

Her face took on a deep shade of red, ducking behind the old noble.

Chin-Hwa stepped calmly to the side, giving Xiu no quarter. Every time she drew near, he distanced himself once again. He laughed as she scolded him, pounding her fists lightly against his shoulder.

"Lady Wen Lan!" Gang bellowed as he hurried down the street.

"Gang!" the young noble smiled, waving her hand towards him. His safety had shed the last layer of worry the attack had weighed her down with.

He grinned, relieved that his lady was alright. As he pushed his way through the crowd, citizens stared in shock. Stepping out of the crowd, he grinned with satisfaction at their victory.

Li Mei laughed, happy to discover that the months spent in Bai-Jing had done nothing to tame the old guard.

Xiu groaned, resting her face in her palm as the old fool approached.

"Gang..." the young noble started, her eyebrow rising at his attire.

The fight with Hitoshi had done well to test his new clothing, the upper section of the robe completely gone, patches of the lower burnt away. His grin was indomitable, his arms folding.

"What did you do!?" Chin-Hwa yelled, eyes wide at the status of the clothing. He had invested a fair amount of money into the robe's creation, respecting Gang's preference in color and durability.

"Hey, this robe turned out to be pretty good!"

"You destroyed it!"

"Nah, there're parts left," he glanced down at it, pointing towards a section of fabric that seemed unscathed.

The old noble sighed, some part of him relieved at his safe return. He turned his attention to the sound of approaching footsteps from behind.

Gang's face took on a quality of surprise, having never suspected to see the figure again.

Xiu turned quickly upon seeing the old guard's face, her mouth opening slightly as the face registered with her instantly.

The girl smiled, taking Wen Lan's hand softly. She motioned her head towards her traveling companions.

The young noble turned her head slowly, her eyes going wide as she recognized him.

Yakone stood with a look of apathy, gripping the reins of the two ostrich horses. To his side stood an Earth Kingdom soldiers to ensure the three had not arrived with hostile intentions.

Shui glanced to the soldier beside him, his arms folding as they came to a stop.

He stopped before her, the journey having weighed his aged body with further scars and marks. He smiled tenderly as a distant memory traced over him gently.



"As always, I am grateful for your hospitality. I have come to thoroughly enjoy business with you, lord Gui," he bowed respectfully as they entered the garden.

"Hmm," Bo nodded in agreement as he stood to the opposite side of the noble.

"Please lord Chao, there is no need for such formality. Your business is honorable, and will always be welcome here," he bowed in thanks for his compliment, smiling.

"Ah yes, forgive me. As I grow older, I have a habit of forgetting to abandon my manners in the presence of friends."

"There is no need for apology, such is an obvious mark of your grace and honor," Gui noted as he stepped towards the garden. He smiled as two young girls played in the distance.

"Such kind words," Chao laughed.

"Girls!" He called out to his daughter and her friend, stepping to the side to properly introduce his two friends.

"Papa!" the young girl called out as she hurried to his arms, embracing him. Her young friend followed behind, slightly younger but with just as much energy.

"Have you been behaving?" he embraced her, standing back up as he smiled towards them.

The girls giggled and nodded.

"I would like to introduce you to two close friends of mine. Lord Bo and lord Chao," he bowed towards them as he motioned a hand.

The two nobles bowed politely towards the small girl.

The little girl put her hands to her side, bowing like she had been taught.

"And what do we say?" Gui said with soft pride.

"Thank you for visiting us," she recited proudly. "I am very honored to meet you."

The girl behind her bowed also, supposing that formality was not so bad if her friend was willing to engage in it.

"That's my girl," he laughed gently.

"Young lady," lord Chao smiled as he took a knee, lifting his fingers. "Did you know that lord Bo and I tame wild fire butterflies?"

"What's a wild fire butterfly?" the girl behind her blinked curiously, Gui's daughter staring inquisitively.

He rose to his feet, nodding towards Bo as he lifted his palms.

The two moved their hands gently, small slivers of flame appearing before them. Each took the simple outline of a butterfly, beating their burning wings softly before fading into the air.

The two girls stared in wonder, captivated entirely by the display.

Bo motioned his palm forward a bit more, one of the flames flying slowly above their reach towards the garden.

They laughed as they chased it, their hands reaching as they attempted to capture the wondrous creature.

Gui chuckled, bowing towards the two. "My thanks."

"It is my honor," Chao smiled softly. "My son is far too old to enjoy such tricks."

Bo's hands moved steadily as he maintained the motion, smiling as he watched them play.

"She has grown," the old noble observed.

"You have been away on business for far too long, my friends."

"She seems very healthy, and already knows the basics of etiquette at such a young age."

"I grow prouder of her with each day," Gui watched the two girls play, laughing happily.

"...Gui," Chao looked towards him. "I apologize, for being away so long. I was devastated to learn of your wife..."

"Please," he raised a hand. "Too many apologies and words of sympathy have been offered. I miss her each day, and appreciate the sincerity of those who I know cared for her. It is enough to understand that you are among them."

The old noble nodded, looking back out towards the two girls. "...I would feel guilty, to let time pass in such a way again. From here on I make you this promise; I will remain close, keep in touch with those I care for. And watch the seeds of our future grow into vibrant trees," he smiled towards the girls.

Bo's hands returned to his side, the girls staring towards the sky as they searched for the missing butterfly. He bowed towards Gui, consenting to the very same promise.

The noble returned the bow, joining the others as they watched the girls play.

"I am grateful to know that she will have the guidance of men so wise."

Wen Lan laughed as she and Xiu continued to search for the creature.



He had watched her grow.

He had watched pain grip the hearts of everyone who cared for her, felt tightness in his chest at the news of her father passing.

He had smiled with pride as she took on the family business, allowing no falter in that which her family had built.

He had watched this little girl, who laughed and searched for wild fire butterflies in the sky, grow into a powerful woman who had courage enough to risk everything.

He watched her now as she stood before him, an exile who had made her way safely to Bai-Jing, her kindness and ideals brought others to care for her as he and Chao had.

Tears came to his eyes as he realized how strongly she resembled her parents, in body and spirit.

Her hand gripped her mouth, her body shuddering as tears fell uncontrollably. She rushed forward, the pain causing her to falter slightly as she embraced him. The weight of sadness his rumored death had burdened her with lifted, overwhelming her as she sobbed happily.

He laughed, crying as he held her close. Falling to his knees, he held her close.

In the distance the soldiers and warriors celebrated, the villagers cheering, singing to the night.

The soft lights of the festival danced over them.

The battle had ended.
Sign up to rate and review this story