Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > Roses of the Valley

Chapter Twenty-Six: Checkpoints

by Giroro5X 0 reviews

This chapter's actually been done for a few days, I just wanted to wait until I heard a bit of feedback on twenty-five before I posted it. So, here you go! Chapter twenty-six! Enjoy!

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Other - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-10-17 - Updated: 2006-10-18 - 5095 words

0Unrated



Roses of the Valley

Chapter Twenty-Six: Checkpoints



"You really think they found one way out here?" the young waterbender looked towards the squad's leader, the news surprising him.

The day was bright, the skiff moving quickly atop the churning water. It was the first he had ever heard of a Fire Nation ship being anywhere near the North Pole.

"Maybe not. But if there is, we'll have to move quickly to disable it. Chief Arnook wants us to approach it care..." his words trailed off as he adjusted the telescope, his frame tightening as he focused.

"What is it?"

He lowered the spyglass, calling out orders to the others in preparation.

The young waterbender took the tool, looking out into the distance. The silhouette of a Fire Nation ship stood clearly, its detail and size increasing as they drew closer.

"Waterbenders get ready! I want the ship disabled the moment it's in range! Be ready for anything!"

"It's damaged," the young waterbender squinted as the ship took on a more definite shape. Scorch marks and warped metal riddled the vessel, a thin line of smoke billowing out from the stern.

"What?" the group leader grasped the telescope, looking out towards their target.

"It looks like they were in a fight or something," he guessed.

"...Might be a trap," he tucked the spyglass under his belt, folding his arms as they drew closer.

"What?" His eyebrow rose.

"We have no idea what's on that ship, or in it. They may have damaged it just to lull us into a false sense of security."

"I doubt that," he muttered.

"Just get into position, waterbender." He narrowed his eyes, growing weary of being second-guessed. The remark was meant to remind the upstart of his place.

"...Fine," he grunted as he stepped into his stand. The boat picked up speed as he worked with the others to move faster.

It was not long before they were within range of the ship, the other skiffs spreading out to approach from all sides.

"Get ready," the leader commanded quietly as he waited for the other skiffs to take their positions.

"Wait," the young waterbender's eyes went wide as he noticed something that had escaped him earlier. "There," he pointed out towards the bow of the ship, a piece of cloth flapping fiercely in the wind.

The flag was pure white, tattered from the time at sea.

"White flag! They surrender!" He looked out over the vessel, the damage it had sustained from earlier combat having become more visible.

"...It could still be a trap," the leader guessed quietly, motioning the other waterbenders to ready themselves.

"What are you talking about? Look at the ship, they probably need our help!" He narrowed his eyes, more concerned with the welfare of those aboard than the politics.

"It's the Fire Nation. Be ready for anything." He lifted his hand to the sky as he justified his decision, glaring towards the vessel.

"That's..." He was cut off as his superior lowered his arm, signaling the skiffs to move forward.

The waterbenders stepped forward quickly, their arms lashing out in unison as water rose up from the sea surrounding the ship, clinging to its hull before freezing.

"Move in!" the leader ordered loudly, the skiff hurrying towards the captured vessel.

"Wait!" The young waterbender protested.

As the skiff neared the ice the leader stepped off, maintaining his footing as he hurried towards the deck.

The waterbender rushed ahead, his arms moving quickly as his bending formed a more reliable path. Leaping onto the deck, his eyes grew wide.

The crew merely looked towards him with tired eyes, stripped of their armor and weapons. Some huddled together for warmth, others already exhibiting the symptoms of frostbite.

The young waterbender took a step back, watching as one of the soldiers rose to his feet.

He looked exhausted in every sense of the word, as if each breath he drew in had the potential to be his last. He smiled weakly as he fell, his palms firm on the deck as he bowed towards the waterbender.

"Thank you." The voice was practically a whisper, the other crew members stirring as they attempted to mimic the captain's actions.

"Secure them!" the waterbender's leader called out to the others as he reached the deck, his spear pointed towards the starving soldiers.

"Wait," the young waterbender whispered, his eyes narrowing as he looked towards his superior. He was pushed aside as his comrades passed him, grasping the prisoners before carrying them quickly to the skiffs.

"Wait!" he yelled out again, his plea ignored. The deck of the ravaged ship was soon empty, save the young waterbender and his leader.

"Let's go," he commanded as he studied the deck one last time.

"This isn't right."

"I don't want to hear it."

"They were starving, dying. You could tell by looking at them!"

"Shut up," he narrowed his eyes.

"At least give them some food!" He stepped forward angrily, his arm waving out towards the detainees.

"That's up to Chief Arnook," he explained.

"No it isn't, it's..."

"I have no problem leaving you here, bender." The threat was sincere, the leader tired of the upstart's attitude.

The waterbender glared, understanding that his argument had fallen on deaf ears. He remained silent as he passed the leader, looking out over the deck of the ship.

The Fire Nation soldiers sat weakly on the skiffs, offering no struggle as the warriors secured them. They were tired, their bodies shivering as the wind blew the cold right through them.

He could not shake the feeling of guilt the scenario left upon him as he watched them, his pace slowing.

"They're enemies," the leader explained as he walked alongside the waterbender. Some part of him regretting having to be so callous with his fellow warrior.

"They're people."

"It's a nice ideal," he admitted calmly. "But..."

"Enemy or not, anyone suffering that badly needs help."

There was silence as the leader looked down at the waterbender. He knew him well enough to understand that no argument he could make would persuade him from this particular belief.

"You'll understand in time, Yakone."



The waterbender opened his eyes slowly, confused by the lack of sunlight. He sat up quickly, calming as he realized he was in one of the stone tents the soldiers had been setting up the night before.

He stepped out from the tent, stretching as he yawned. The campfire had faded to smoldering ashes, the soldiers still resting within their shelters. His eyebrow rose as he searched for the general or Xiu.

Failing to find either, he smirked.

She dipped her hands into the stream, filling the last of the water skins.

Chin-Hwa had promised she would be of benefit to the party, rendering her unable to relax for fear of appearing to be not properly contributing to the group. She had set herself to the task of refilling the water skins while the others slept.

Hoisting them over her shoulder, she walked carefully along the stream. The sound of shifting rock brought her to slow her pace, looking out towards a nearby field.

Seung maintained a firm stance, his arms moving with a slow strength as he continued his training. His armor lay near the edge of the forest, dressed only in his pants.

She placed her palm upon the tree nearest her, smiling as she watched him.

He stomped his foot against the ground, a boulder leaping into the air before him. In one smooth motion he stabbed both hands into it, concentrating as he tore his arms out from each side.

His arms were now coated in stone gauntlets, the fight with Kazuki doing well to demonstrate the advantage of the technique. Out of the corner of his eye he spotted a figure, turning quickly to find Xiu standing in the distance.

His attention startled her, nearly dropping some of the water skins. She made a quick attempt at regaining her composure, hoping he hadn't seen her fumble the supplies.

"Good morning lady Xiu," his cheeks took on a slight redness as he bowed, hoping that his manner of dress was not offensive to her. He extended his arms towards the ground, tapping his foot firmly as the gauntlets crumbled.

"Good morning general Seung," she blushed as she stepped forward, setting the water skins down for fear of looking foolish. She searched frantically for some topic of conversation, settling on the first thing to come to mind.

"I see you are...Earthbending." She silently berated herself for choosing the most unintelligent and obvious statement possible.

"Ah, yes," his eyes lit up slightly at the opportunity for conversation, something they had not had since just before the festival.

"You seem very talented!" Her tone grew faster as she issued the compliment, having become overexcited at the chance to offer a foolproof statement. Her face grew red as she continued cursing herself for failing at the art of conversation.

"Thank you," he blushed slightly. "But I feel I still have very much to learn. Any skill I have is due to practice."

"Do you practice every day?" Her thoughts grew quieter, the topic bringing the conversation into a comfortable flow.

"Yes, every morning before the soldiers awaken. It has become part of my daily routine," he laughed.

"Is it hard?" she had never given much thought to bending, having been born without any capacity for it.

"It can be at times, but there are some aspects of it that are fairly simple," he explained.

"Would you..." her face grew red as she stopped herself, realizing the statement to be far too forward.

"Hmm?"

Her cheeks grew warmer, realizing she had stopped halfway through the question. For fear of appearing inept, she continued the question.

"...Show...Me...?"

His cheeks flushed as he smiled gently, nodding his head. He stepped behind her, his stance widening as he faced to the right.

"My father explained to me once that we are like the earth itself; with a nurturing and powerful foundation, great beauty and strength will grow. Thus, the stance is the first and foremost aspect of earthbending."

She glanced back towards his legs, mimicking his position as she faced to the right.

"That's excellent," he complimented.

Blushing, she smiled softly.

"The next point is the attitude. To move the earth, we have to share its determination. You can't be afraid of it," he continued explaining as he motioned his arms, thrusting his fist out.

Xiu smiled to herself, feeling this to be something she would have no trouble with. She brought her fist back, striking it out fiercely.

"Very good; if you were an earthbender, I think you would be able to move mountains," he smiled.

"Thank you," she laughed, rising from her stance to bow to him. She was well aware she had no potential in any of the bending disciplines, yet she would treasure the memory it had provided her.

The two continued chatting with one another, enjoying the opportunity to do so as Yakone watched from the tree line, grinning while folding his arms.



"Ah," Chin-Hwa's eyes lit up as he remembered that which lay before them. His pace slowed as he looked over the surroundings.

"We are close," Liang observed as he pressed on.

"Do you recognize this place?" Li Mei asked him from atop the komodo rhino, noticing the sudden change in the noble's manner.

"Yes," he smiled. "When I was younger...My family would visit Wei Min often. I would play in this forest. But..." he squinted slightly as he examined the trees.

Liang's pace slowed, looking back towards the group as they came to a stop.

"...When I was younger...The forest was filled with friendly hog monkeys. They were so accustomed to people that they would flock to us if we held out food."

Wen Lan looked through the trees, unable to spot any of the creatures.

The messenger's expression took on a look of concern, surprised that he had not noticed the same. He searched the trees carefully, wondering why silence had fallen over the typically bustling forest.

"Perhaps this has something to do with the issue the village is facing?" Wen Lan guessed quietly.

"There's one," Gang grunted as he brought his hand over his eyes, noticing a small huddled figure clinging to a branch.

"Ah," the old noble smiled as he crouched, drawing out some food from his pouch. He extended his hand, making a soft clicking noise as he beckoned the hog monkey.

The creature sniffed the air, climbing the branch further to study the group. It dropped to the ground quickly, cautious as it slowly made its way towards them.

"I do not understand," he whispered. "What has him so afraid?"

The hog monkey came closer to the old noble, sniffing at the food. It stepped in quickly, tapping Chin-Hwa's hand before hopping away and spinning to ensure it was not some sort of trick. Determining the hand to be safe, the creature grasped the food.

"There we are," he smiled. "It tastes good, yes?"

It shoved the portion into its mouth, hurrying to grab whatever crumbs it could from the old noble's hand.

"Strange," Liang narrowed his eyes as he watched the spectacle. "It's practically forcing it down."

"Looks like he brought some buddies," Gang folded his arms as he looked up into the trees, more hog monkeys arriving.

"Maybe they were just hiding?" the girl wagered a guess as Boots snorted.

"Ah!" Wen Lan exclaimed, slightly surprised as a monkey dropped onto her shoulder. It began pawing at the shoulder strap of her pouch as she smiled. "Are you hungry also?"

"Hey, get off of lady Wen Lan!" Gang barked at the creature, feeling a tiny tug at his bag.

Chin-Hwa's eyebrow rose up as the hog monkeys flocked to him, pawing for the crumbs in his hands.

"Something's wrong," Liang glared as a small group of the creatures swarmed over Boots, tugging at their food.

"Hey!" Gang yelled out as the two hog monkeys made off with his bag. He turned quickly towards Wen Lan as another group snatched hers away.

Boots growled as the creatures clung to him, Li Mei shrieking as they continued tugging at their supplies. The straps of the pouches snapped, the hog monkeys retreating at full speed.

The old noble stared at them as they made off with whatever food they could, the scene completely foreign to him.

"What was that?!" the old guard clenched his fist, wondering if he should chase after the tiny antagonists or not.

"Something is amiss," Chin-Hwa looked towards Liang, hoping the messenger would have some answer to what had just occurred.

"Yes," he answered flatly. He had no explanation for it, the spectacle unprecedented.

"They took all of the food," the young noble looked through each of the pouches, seeing if they had missed anything in their raid.

The old noble stroked his beard, squinting as he analyzed the situation.

"Let's keep moving," Liang suggested. "We are nearly there, we won't be needing food."

"Right," Chin-Hwa nodded, following after the messenger.

Gang stepped cautiously, paying careful attention as they made their way down the forest path.

The young girl glanced from side to side nervously, the komodo rhino beneath her helping to ease her worry.

The messenger smiled as he observed a beautiful gateway standing in the distance, grateful that he had arrived home safely once again.

"Wei Min," the old noble smiled as he recognized the village entrance.

"Such a beautiful gate," Wen Lan noted as they passed under it, examining the intricate carvings.

"The gate of Wei Min is meant to welcome people and spirits alike, the citizens maintaining it with constant effort and vigilance," he explained.

"Lord Chin-Hwa, do you know everything?" the young girl was astonished by the old man's intellect, witnessing its demonstration constantly throughout their journey.

"Nah," Gang answered as he looked out over the village.

Liang narrowed his eyes slightly, irritated by the oaf's rudeness.

"Strange," Wen Lan observed. "It's so quiet."

The village was silent, the main square completely devoid of life. The doors and windows of the houses and shops surrounding had been shut tight, the wind blowing gently against them.

Chin-Hwa narrowed his eyes, attempting to understand the bizarre scene as Rou's estate drew closer.

Liang looked worriedly from side to side, the quiet perturbing him. His home seemed barren and unwelcoming.

"Wow," Li Mei slid down from Boots' saddle, staring at the huge mansion.

It was obvious from the exterior that Rou had poured a large sum of money into the construction and maintenance of her home, the design and lavish features seeming almost inappropriate amongst the humble village.

"Please follow me," Liang bowed once again, his frame growing more rigid as they neared the main entrance. A pair of servants opened the doors silently, bowing deeply as their visitors passed.

The meeting hall had been decorated with the finest stonework and cloth, a thin curtain separating the farthest section of the room from them. A man stood near the curtain calmly, stepping forward to announce them.

Wen Lan could not help but feel slightly uncomfortable at the severe formality.

The messenger stepped to the side of the visitors, lowering into a bowing position.

The old guard watched curiously, Liang's actions confusing him.

"Announcing the benevolent lord Chin-Hwa, of Bai-Jing, accompanied by his appointed successor, Wen Lan of Bai-Jing."

"I thought you hated this kind of stuff," Gang whispered to the old noble.

"I do," he answered lowly for fear of offending his host.

Two finely dressed servants pulled the curtain to either side, an aged woman sitting calmly behind it. Her clothing was elegant, her face carefully made up to conceal her true age. A finely crafted fan rested in her right hand, jewelry decorating her wrists, hands and neck.

"Chin-Hwa!" she tilted her head to the side. "Thank you so much for coming!"

"I thank you for inviting me," he bowed politely, his manner calm and reserved. "You seem to have improved your home greatly since my last visit."

"Yes, I have come into some recent fortune," she grinned. "Granted, I have yet to reach the same wealth that you have, but if my profits continue their trend, I suspect that will no longer be the case!" Her exclamation had a rehearsed tone of excitement and humor, enjoying the opportunity to establish her success.

"I wish you the best in this," he bowed once again, recognizing the underlying message.

"Liang!" she barked as she motioned her fan towards Li Mei and Gang. "Escort my cousin's servants to Zian's home!"

"Yes lady Rou," he answered obediently.

"Servants?" Gang narrowed his eyes.

"Gang," the old noble interjected quietly. "I ask that you not cause any sort of disturbance until we have a better understanding of the issue troubling the village."

The firebender snorted, glaring as he walked angrily out of the room.

Li Mei followed closely behind, giving the old hag an annoyed glare as she left.

"And this lovely girl must be your chosen successor!" Rou smiled pleasantly. "It is a pleasure to meet you, my dear!"

"I am honored to make your acquaintance; thank you for allowing me into your home." She bowed politely to the old woman, concealing her offense at the treatment of her friends.

"Isn't it lovely?" she bragged. "I suspect the next sum of money I receive from my profits will go to the construction of an aviary."

"Rou," he interrupted her boast. "I hope that you are setting aside at least some of your income."

"Chin-Hwa," she sighed, irritated that he would advise her in economic matters. "As cautious as ever. With how splendidly things have been going, such hasn't been necessary! My profits are steady, I have no worries."

The old noble gave no reaction, instead nodding his head silently.

Wen Lan simply stared, shocked by the sheer absurdity of the statement.

"I am glad to hear that you have been doing well," he started. "I hope that I will be able to counsel you properly in whatever issue it is you and your fellow villagers face."

"Ah yes, our little 'issue'," she muttered flatly, rising slowly from her seat. "I feel the old men of the village can properly explain, they were the ones who asked that I contact you," she waved her fan towards one of her servants. "Bring me my hat!"

The young noble cringed slightly at the noble woman's manner, perturbed by her attitude.

She approached them slowly, waving the fan to cool herself as she passed. She hooked her arm around the old noble's, leading the two outside. "Cousin Chin-Hwa, it has been far too long!"

"Indeed it has," he looked out over the silent village, recalling the desperate howler monkeys they had encountered earlier.

"Here they come," Li Mei's eyes lit up as she stood at the entrance to Zian's home, watching Chin-Hwa and Wen Lan approach.

"Great, she's with them," the old guard muttered as he observed the approaching noblewoman.

"Oh my, what loyal servants you have! They're already outside waiting for your arrival!"

Li Mei narrowed her eyes, the term "servant" annoying her.

"If only my servants would act so properly! Really, Liang is nowhere to be found! So lazy."

Gang glared, her statement dragging every word Chin-Hwa had said on the subject of his cousin into the light.

"Well then, shall we?" she entered the house quickly, singing the words.

The old guard looked towards Chin-Hwa, his expression articulating every feeling he had on the subject.

The noble simply nodded, hoping the firebender would maintain his calm.

"I don't like her," Li Mei whispered to her friend secretly, staring after the old woman.

"Nor do I," she whispered back, lifting a finger to her mouth to seal their silence.

The young girl nodded her head quickly, standing beside her as they entered the building.

The house was filled with worried citizens, wounded Earth Kingdom soldiers resting quietly against the far wall.

"Rou," Zian greeted as he approached, Liang helping him. He was very old, his beard trailing over his chest.

"Lady Rou," she corrected flatly.

"And..." the old man stared at the noble, smiling as he slowly recognized the face. "...Chin-Hwa...The years have been kind to you, my boy..."

"It is an honor and pleasure to see you again, elder Zian. I trust that you are well?" he bowed as he greeted his elder.

Almost instantly the warm expression fell from Zian's face, sorrow filling his features.

"No...Rou has not told you?"

The noblewoman waved the fan softly over her mouth, concealing her irritation at not being paid the proper respect.

"Not as of yet, she felt it would be better explained here."

"Chin-Hwa...They're dying..." his lips quivered as he gripped the old noble's robe, tears forming at his old eyes.

"Who?" Wen Lan asked quietly.

"Speak when you are spoken to, dear." Rou took it upon herself to educate the young noble.

"Shut up," Gang grunted, folding his arms as he stood beside her. He would not tolerate such a hag correcting his lady.

Rou stared at the bodyguard, completely mortified.

The young noble smiled towards her old friend, appreciating his ability to do that which she could not.

He simply nodded, smirking.

"You remember the spirits, Chin-Hwa...The spirit of Gousaru..."

"The spirit of levity and laughter, a children's story you told me long ago," he recited carefully, his eyes concerned as the old man latched onto his sleeve.

"It's real," he was nearly crying as he gripped the cloth of Chin-Hwa's robe. "They're dying, Chin-Hwa..."

"You have to forgive my grandfather," Bolin placed his hand on the old man's shoulder, helping him to sit down against a nearby wall. "These times have been trying for him."

"What has been happening?" the old noble looked down towards the boy, worried about the elder.

"My grandfather has told you the story," the teenager stood before them, articulating what the old man could not. "The Sarugaran temple, home to Gousaru. This village has been aware of the spirit for centuries, appreciating and venerating him. When some prank or trick occurs, something out of place or placed where it doesn't belong, we laugh. We attribute it to Gousaru's mischievous side."

"Elder Zian had always described him as a lover of both laughter and tricks," Chin-Hwa nodded.

"...Nearly three weeks ago, something happened...The spirit of Gousaru began appearing at night."

The old noble's eyes went wide, Zian sobbing at the memory of the scene.

Bolin stared at the ground, his fists tightening as he described further. "On the first night...He killed one of the villagers."

Wen Lan lifted her hand to her mouth in horror.

Rou remained silent.

"He appeared the next night, and did the same...Killed someone, and then disappeared. A week ago the Earth Kingdom troops left a small unit here to hold him off while they fetch reinforcements."

"He kills someone every night?" Gang's arms remained folded as he attempted to understand the situation.

"No...There's no pattern to it. He once went three nights without appearing...Then on the fourth, he killed two. There are nights where he claims more than one life, and then there are nights where he doesn't appear at all."

"This is why you requested my council," the old noble stroked his beard.

"You have familiarity with ancient relics, and once spent time recording the history of the Sarugaran temple when you were younger. We felt you might provide some valuable insight." His tone was hopeful.

Chin-Hwa turned towards the door, thinking carefully. He felt he owed much to Wei Min for the memories it had left him so many years ago.

"Please," Zian begged, pressing his head to the floor. "Please, Chin-Hwa..."

Silence filled the room as the villagers looked towards him, his mind sorting through memories of his studies of the Sarugaran temple. His determined tone broke the quiet, the room following every word.

"...This evening, move all of the citizens of Wei Min to Rou's estate; there they will be safe."

"Chin-Hwa!" his cousin exclaimed, shocked that he would make such a bold command without her approval.

"You owe your wealth and fortune to this village, Rou. You will aid them in their time of need." His back remained to her as his hand stopped midway through his beard.

She huffed, waving the fan slightly faster.

"Liang, I ask that you and Li Mei remain with the citizens to ensure their safety."

"Yes lord Chin-Hwa," he bowed obediently.

"Right!" she balled her fists, determined to help out however she could.

"Gang, prepare Boots. I will require his aid, as well as yours and Wen Lan's."

"Yes my lord," the young nobled bowed readily, willing to help however she could.

The old firebender stepped to the noble's side, studying him carefully. "We fightin' a spirit?"

"...Yes," he stared out the door quietly, the waning sun inspiring a slight fear within him.



"Yes, a messenger arrived a few days ago on Chin-Hwa's behalf to announce you!" Oyaji smiled, standing at the entrance to the shrine. "I thank you for delivering this item to its proper home." He bowed deeply.

Jung returned the bow, drawing the item out carefully from his pouch. A sense of satisfaction fell over him upon the successful delivery of the relic.

"It's beautiful," he smiled tenderly as he unfolded the cloth, the doll revealing another facet of the island's hero that he had never considered.

The warrior bowed once again, turning to take his leave.

"Ah! Before you go, at least allow us the opportunity to repay you for your services!" He lifted his hand, feeling it terribly rude to let such kindness pass without proper thanks.

He looked towards the old man, considering the offer. The day was nearly over, the sunset bathing them in an orange glow as it reflected off of the ocean. The knowledge that no boats would willingly travel at night brought him to nod his head, agreeing to the offer.

"Wonderful," Oyaji smiled. "I will place this in the shrine. Might I interest you in a tour of the island?"

Jung nodded again, having already admired the beauty of that which surrounded them.

The two walked the paths of the island, Oyaji identifying and explaining the history of various points as they traveled. He nodded proudly towards a dojo near the forest.

"And this is where the warriors of the Kyoshi train diligently, honoring the traditions and bravery of Avatar Kyoshi."

A loud thud could be heard from within the dojo, followed by yelling.

"You are not the only visitor to our island as of late; another came here a week ago during her travels. The warriors have taken to including her in their training sessions, her experience and advice helping them to improve."

Another loud noise rang out.

"They appear to be training rather hard today." Oyaji watched the dojo.

"Not like that! Che, it's like watching a cow pig sneak up on a meadow vole!" A voice scolded.

Jung froze.

"Watch, watch! You've got the whole 'use their force against them' thing, that's good. Now follow through, make it so they ain't gettin' up any time soon!"

He turned towards the dojo, walking towards it with a hurried pace.

"Ah, the warriors frown upon any men entering in on their training sessions!" Oyaji lifted a hand to stop him.

"Here, come at me!" the voice ordered.

He placed his hand on the door, sliding it open quickly as he watched from beneath the mask.

The warrior rushed forward, the traveler swinging her arm out into her throat, her leg moving carelessly to sweep her feet out from under her.

The attacker hit the ground, groaning as Ryoko placed a foot over her stomach.

The warriors turned to face the disturbance, Jung simply staring.

Ryoko looked towards the disturbance nonchalantly, her eyebrow rising.

Her hair was unkempt, tied into a thin ponytail near her shoulder blades. A kimono covered half of her chest, the sleeves torn away. Bandages draped over her chest and right shoulder, a dark brown set of paints ending halfway down her thighs. Her right leg remained concealed behind the ripped remains of what had once perhaps been a kimono, a smoking pipe hanging idly from her mouth. On each forearm rested a turtle shell, the symbol of each nation carved into the center.

"...Master..." Jung whispered.
Sign up to rate and review this story